DJ, DL, DE and DY

See the Best Cars in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

ultra reliable

2003 model, 150,000km on clock - demo with 400k when bought, cost 16,000 with anti rust and tinting.
pro's- never failed, regular service every 10,000 till 100,000 then every 20,000 by Kmart after warrenty expiry. Service / replacements - tyres, 2 new battery, break pads, fluids; thats it :) would buy another mazda 2 in a heartbeat. highway top on trip to Vic from Qld - 140-160Kph. not a hickup. No squeeks or leaks. spares cheap as if needed from wreckers galore - runs on 91 [ per book ]. Cons- can't think of any.except the tinting on one back window is starting to peel but that's a third party install

Purchased in February 2003 at Grand Prix Mazda for $16,000.00.

Year2003

Automatic transmission fail.

I Bought Mazda 2 neo 2016 in April 2017 as demo car. The car done only 18000 Km and have major problem with transmission.3 weeks ago when I was reversing there was big noice under car. Took car straight to Mazda, was told transmission slipping. They reprogram on the computer transmission. After 2 weeks the same problem. now car can't be drive.Propably they must replace whole gearbox.Manufactures faulty gearbox. I lost trust in Mazda. I don't know if some Mazda 2 owners have similar problem ?

Purchased in April 2017.

Comfort

Great car and could be even better for peanuts

We bought this Mazda 2 Neo model 2nd hand with 38000 on the clock, My mechanic said these cars are trouble free and l agree. A delight to drive,great seats and a stylish overall feel when driving. My only annoyances are are few dash rattles,crackles ( vibrating cable noises?) when driving on certain textured roads or bumps. The other annoyance is the lack of reverse camera in a 2016 built vehicle (bewildering when rear vision is so restrictive) l suppose it's my fault for not buying a more expensive model to get such a basic feature. The 12 mth service intervals are a big plus and the Mazda Brighton service dept are outstanding to deal with. This is my 2nd Mazda in 7 years and won't be my last.

Purchased in April 2019.

BoughtUsed
Year2016

a good car

A very good reliable car but it is not fuel efficient and can be expensive to service if you service it through the dealer. However, I am still very happy with the car.

Purchased in February 2015.

Year2015

A good fit for a family car

As our first family car this is a pleasant purchase, the dealership was also very friendly. Lately everything I am buying has turned out great. My new iPhone, furniture from desired living and now this fantastic car which drives like a dream

Purchased in March 2019.

Year2018

Love my baby Mazda 2

Bought this baby brand new in 2010 at Mazda Dealer Edwardstown and I still love it. It's an economical little hatch that takes me to A to Z everyday, and has plenty of room to store groceries. I can fold down the chairs to give it more room when needed. Needless to say it's been reliable I haven't had any issues with it breaking down on the road.

Purchased in June 2010.

Year2010

Good economical small car

We drive our little Mazda 2 everyday and have found it to be very easy to drive and fuel efficient.We have only owned this car for 4 months but it has been very reliable and fun to drive.It also has no problem carrying 4-5 people

Purchased in January 2019 at Melbourne's Cheapest Cars for $8.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2012
Comfort

Mazda 2 Neo - I love my new Zoom Zoom!

After 6 months of using public transport my Husband finally bought me a car. Having owned a Mazda 2 previously I was keen to purchase another and was not disappointed. With added extra's now on the basic Neo model (rear parking sensors, wing mirror retract button and bluetooth) I was very impressed. Also managed to get floor mats thrown in at no extra cost. I bought the manual as it was cheaper.
I use daily for a 20 minute drive to/from work and running errands at weekends. No issues so far, I am very happy with my new car.

Purchased in March 2019 at Mazda Dealers for $15,888.00.

Year2018

MAZDA 2 RULES!

This Mazda 2 was bought by us from Private Fleet Chatswood in September 2015. It has been a wonderful car and I'm always scooting here and there in it every week!
A lot of people have asked about the colour - 'Smokey Rose Mika' - and they always admire it. It is now my favourite colour - don't ever discontinue it!
I would buy the same colour all over again!

It has been sound and runs well and smoothly. It is nice to have such a reliable car, when it is used so much!
We are very happy with our Mazda 2 and rave about it when anyone asks (and many people have asked).
Rob Norris was instrumental in our buying this car, so we thank him for that and thank Private Fleet for their great service.
We're keeping on keeping on - motoring that is!!!

Purchased in September 2015.

Great little car!

Buying this car was definitely a great decision. I bought it brand new and have not had a single problem with it for 4 years now.
Great fuel economy. Surprisingly spacious in the back seats. Huge amount of space when you put the back seats down too! I’ve managed to squeeze surfboards, golf clubs and bags in there no problem. A handy little car for all occasions.

Date PurchasedOct 2014

I love my Mazda 2!

I have had my Mazda 2 for 5 years and I love it.
I bought it brand new and have never had any issues with it.
It is the right size and would definitely recommend it to anyone, as it is reliable and has enough space.
I also find that the dealerships around Adelaide are good to deal with.

Date PurchasedMar 2014

Attractive little car that does a good job

I have had this car for over a year now. It is a nice little car that is very fuel efficient, attractive sporty design, and I love the Navigation system which is clear, and the speed odometer is on the dash, which helps you to keep your eyes on the road while driving. It did took me a while to get use to not looking down the odometer to check my speed in the beginning. A lot of little details that is very thoughtful. Love the blind spot warning on your side mirror.

The reason why I didn't give a 5 star score, is because I used to have a Honda Jazz which has a very functional seats that you can make it completely flat and lifting up one seat completely to modify the space according to your need, which Mazda 2 does not have. The other thing is the boot space is quite small compare to the other small car I had (Honda Jazz). Otherwise would have been perfect.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Tried to find out which year Mazda 2 started to use soy based coating on wires, as someone has mentioned there might be problem with rats chewing through and causing damage. I was not aware of this, and have contacted the local dealer who sold me the car, he also had no idea. He suggested me to contact Mazda directly and received the below response: As you may appreciate, our vehicles as with all vehicles are made up of many components and Mazda Australia does not have a listing of chemicals and products used in their production. Should you believe there is a manufacturing concern, we encourage you to present your vehicle to a Mazda dealership for inspection.

Great little car

Great little car that I have found to be without fault in the 5 months I’ve had it. It is very economical and has all the power you need for a city car. Very easy car to handle with all the driver assistance. Love the Sat Nav which has saved me on numerous occasions.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Excellent small car

The Mazda 2 Maxx is an excellent small car with a premium feel. With an attractive and sleek design, it’s unique styling sets it apart from other cars in its category.

Pros
- Attractive styling
- Good price
- Stylish and functional interior
- Touch screen Bluetooth and navigation
- iStop feature
- Good bootspace
- Mazda quality and reliability
- Easy to drive, keeps up in city and comfortable on highway

Cons
- Like other small cars, panels feel flimsy
- Paint is soft and tends to chip easily
- Not a lot of power from stop to go. You will find yourself lagging on take offs. This is most notable in comparison to a Ford Fiesta I have driven prior which is markedly ‘zippier’
- Drivers seat is not the most comfortable. Again, the Ford Fiesta trumps
- 3 year warranty only. Servicing is not cheap compared to other makes.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Great little car with all the modcons

This is my second Mazda 2 purchase. I recently upgraded from 2009 Mazda 2 Neo to Maxx.

Initially, I was a little concerned with some of the reviews online that Mazda 2 were now made in Thailand instead of Japan with lots of complaints about poor quality / duds.

Overall, I have had the car for 12 months and I’m loving it. Cruise control and MZD connect are my favourite new features. They have improved to the colours too - glad they got rid of the bright green.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Love love love my car

I use my car to commute to work in sydney. Bought the higher model new so the interior is lovely. Very easy to drive and just a wonderful car. Adding front sensors was really handy. Manual model (my preference) very easy to change gears and great for city driving. Overall very happy with Mazda. Odd issue with the NAV that seems to go funny close to service time!

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Perfect zippy little car.

This is my first car (bought second hand) and I absolutely love it. It can store a surprising amount of things, and has a large boot space for a small hatchback. I have never had any issues with this vehicle, it is very reliable and has been on a number of large road trips. It costs about $50 to fill up and goes a long way with it. Despite being two doors, there is still ample leg space for backseat passengers.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Nice little niffy car

Got this as a second car for my wife to learn driving. The drive and handling is pretty good, and the car corners well. Easy to park in city and tight spaces and is pretty niffy car overall. However, petrol consumption is rather high at around 9 - 10L /100km, perhaps due to age coming to 10 years old.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Mazda 2

I just received my Mazda 2 Genki Auto on Friday. I love the dashboard and the safety features. The interior looks and feel posh. It also has the visor. My kids love the gadgets. The safety features are fantastic for the price. The fuel consumption is great and the car drives like a dream. Feels very comfortable and handles well. Great value.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Problematic but still reliable

Cheap to run
Bought brand new from mazda dealer
Was absolutely ripped off in terms of price
Fuel gage constantly taking incorrect readings
Bluetooth system is a piece of rubbish... potential to cause an accident more than using the device itself
Seat belt needed to be replaced as it wouldn’t retract

Date PurchasedMar 2015

I have a 2003 Mazda 2 and the other day the handle at the back of the back seat which would lift the seat up after sliding them forward broke off. Is there anyway to fix this, do I have to go to a mechanic or is there a way to diy it

Why can't I convert the Mazda Touch screen to Apple Carplay?

I have a 2015 genki dj series with 75000 klms on it. With regards to the fuel filter do these ever have to be replaced. Where is it, How often should it be replaced and can a home mechanic do it.
I am no mechanic so I did a google search. It tells you that it needs to be changed every 30000 klm, so if your car is suffering from symptoms of a bad filter such as it smells, lack of power and engine stall, then I suppose you need to change it. Everything is on youtube, if that is something you want to do. Just do a search. I personally would not waste my time. You probably saving $100 (or $200 at the most). Just call up your local mechanic for a quote if you need to change it. Sounds like you do everything yourself (such as change oil & service) which is great but I always go back to my dealer to service my car as I need it to be in a very good condition as I use my car everyday. Remember to change your drive belt (about 90klm) and your battery (probably end of the year) if you have not done so. I hope this helps.Thanks james for advicePs could not find anything om youtube could you send the link.

Mazda 2 DJ Genki Manual (2014-2019)Mazda 2 DJ Genki Automatic (2014-2019)Mazda 2 DJ GT Manual (2014-2019)Mazda 2 DJ GT Automatic (2014-2019)Mazda 2 DJ Maxx Manual (2014-2019)Mazda 2 DJ Maxx Automatic (2014-2019)Mazda 2 DJ Neo Manual (2014-2019)Mazda 2 DJ Neo Automatic (2014-2019)Mazda 2 DL GT Manual (2015-2019)Mazda 2 DL GT Automatic (2015-2019)Mazda 2 DL Maxx Manual (2015-2019)Mazda 2 DL Maxx Automatic (2015-2019)Mazda 2 DL Neo Manual (2015-2019)Mazda 2 DL Neo Automatic (2015-2019)Mazda 2 DE (2007-2014)Mazda 2 DY (2002-2007)
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars, Hatchbacks and SedansCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $21,140$23,140$24,150$22,150$18,080$20,080$15,320$17,320$22,150$24,150$18,080$20,080$15,320$17,320$15,790$16,335
TransmissionManualAutomaticAutomaticManualManualAutomaticManualAutomaticManualAutomaticManualAutomaticManualAutomaticAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and Manual
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels16" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy15" Alloy15" Alloy15" Steel15" Steel16" Alloy16" Alloy15" Alloy15" Alloy15" Alloy15" Alloy15" Alloy14" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars4 Stars
Doors5555555544444455
Seats5555555555555555
Fuel Consumption5.2 L/100km4.9 L/100km4.9 L/100km5.2 L/100km5.2 L/100km4.9 L/100km5.4 L/100km5.5 L/100km5.2 L/100km4.9 L/100km5.2 L/100km5.2 L/100km5.4 L/100km5.5 L/100km6.4 L/100km6.6 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L44 L42 L45 L
Engine4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L
Max Power81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm79kW @ 6000rpm79kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm79kW @ 6000rpm79kW @ 6000rpm76kW @ 6000rpm82kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm139Nm @ 4000rpm139Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm139Nm @ 4000rpm139Nm @ 4000rpm135Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandJapanThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandJapanJapan
Safety Features
  • Active Cruise Control
  • AEB (Auto Emergency Braking)
  • Driver Attention Detection
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist)
  • Lane Assist
  • Active Cruise Control
  • AEB (Auto Emergency Braking)
  • Driver Attention Detection
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist)
  • Lane Assist
Extra Features
  • Adjustable Pedals
  • Android Auto / Apple Carplay
  • USB Port
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2007Jan 2002
Discontinuation dateDec 2014Dec 2007