Way too much Ford "quality" in this car.....

Bought secondhand 2 years ago with 80k on clock and a full service history. Country car, used for daily commuting. No unsealed roads. Now done 110k and every service has needed non service items.

The good:
Comfortable and economical on long journeys
Looks good
Strong 2.5L engine
Smooth and responsive auto box
Long load area

The bad:
Steering strangely heavy at low speed
Abrupt, unpredictable throttle response when taking off
New engine mounting required at 90k service
New rear shocks required at 100k service (leaking)
Noisy rear wheel bearing at 110k service
Now has various "clunks" from front suspension
Inconvenient 10k service intervals
Costing way too much to run - we expect regular service items only at this mileage

Our previous three cars (2 x Mitsubishis, 1 x Lexus) did a combined 800k+ with fewer problems e.g. we haven't replaced a wheel bearing in over 20 years.

This car does not have Mitsubishi or Toyota type durability and is not what we expect from a Japanese car. The Ford design and manufacturing input shows.

Purchased for $14,000.00.

Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Have a 2008 Mazda 6 wagon since new. Needs new sas module.

Have a 2008 Mazda 6 wagon since new. 121230 kms. Air bag light now comes on and off continuously. Mazda service department in Taree attended to this yesterday. But light came on before I had left their building. Flashes on and off continuously. Mazda Taree stated a new module is needed. Cost including labour is $1170. Do I need this. Vehicle runs perfectly except for this.

Purchased .

Wonderful Car

This is the main car in our household so it’s used for day to day running town well as long distances for holidays. This is how much I love these cars: I had a used blue mid-range Mazda 6 wagon with 250,000kms on the clock and replaced it with a brand new blue mid-range Mazda 6 wagon. Both of them have been extremely reliable. I took the old one to my mechanic but the new one has been serviced as per the servicing schedule in the warranty. The two cars are pretty similar but I’ll just refer to the 2016 car here though. GOOD POINTS: Very well appointed inside, beautifully well built, great to drive, lots of features for the money, lots of space, super reliable. It’s very economical for such a large car. My long term average with the car is 7l/100km. I think that’s superb. BAD POINTS: I really don’t like the touchscreen interface and menu system. It wasn’t designed by Mazda it shows. You can’t use the touch screen when the car is in motion, it’s slow to start up, laggy, and the navigation is a joke compared to Google Maps. It doesn’t have car play which is a real shame.

BadgeGSX
Date PurchasedOct 2016

Adequate, but nothing more.

My wife and I bought our Mazda 6 new in 2008 and sold it last month after 10 years service and 95,000 kms. It had an easy life and was always serviced on time. It was an adequate car, but not outstanding. Reading the previous reviews here, our car shared nearly all the faults commonly reported by other reviewers. Some of them I regard as pretty significant and these were enough to put us off buying another Mazda.

Positives

Stylish design that has aged well. This model still looks quite contemporary despite its age. Awesome boot space. Everyone loved the stereo. It had a high quality interior that was still as good as new when we sold the car. Not a single squeak or rattle in the interior after 95,000 kms. Very relaxing highway cruiser.

Negatives

Heavy steering and heavy fuel consumption in city driving (around 11.5 to 12 L/100 km). It felt more like a truck than a car at low speeds. The auto was lazy and the car took a while to get going. As other reviewers have noted it was EXTREMELY heavy on tyres. We went through 5 sets in less than 100,000 kms. The last set (Bridgestone Potenza's) only lasted 15,000 kms. The back window motors died at around 50,000 kms. The radiator needed replacing at 90,000 kms. The front suspension arms and bushings were groaning and needed replacement when we sold it. There was a shudder through the transmission for the last 10,000 kms that was probably engine mounts needing replacing. It idled like a diesel truck when cold and no mechanic could fix it easily which is why we finally got rid of it (thermostat?). The worst fault was the paint, Mazda Stormy Blue. This paint was not much better than crayon. I actually think Mazda forgot to put a layer of clear coat on our car . The slightest event such as a twig landing on it would cause a scratch through to the undercoat. There was a line of scratches on the back spoiler where I saw a small bird land and take off. We tried to get Mazda to fix it under warranty but they said it was our fault for not applying the after sales third party paint protection. I've since learned this is completely false. Speaking of the Mazda dealer, a large franchise in the Melbourne eastern suburbs, they were useless. Parts were expensive and the servicing cost way more than our current Euro car.

My wife had a soft spot for the car as it brought both our children home from hospital as babies, but now the car's gone I'm not really sure why we persevered with it for so long. I certainly don't understand the large number of glowing 4-5 star reviews despite the many common problems reported here.

BadgeClassic Sports
Date PurchasedMay 2008

Great car, comfortable and smooth

I got the car and it only had 26k on it
Transmission and engine were very smooth
It had alot of power fir a 4 cylinder engine which i didnt expect.
Took it with the family to Canberra and back for a day drive and it was beautiful on the hwy so i took it to Wollongong, the Entrance etc

It had alot of boot space
Sound system was the best
Biggest mistake i made when i sold it

BadgeClassic Sports
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedSep 2011

Affordable model with good driving experience

Own this car for about 2 years now. Pretty good driving experience. Happy with mileage too. Overall a good purchase for this budget. Own this car for about 2 years now. Pretty good driving experience. Happy with mileage too. Overall a good purchase for this budget. Own this car for about 2 years now. Pretty good driving experience. Happy with mileage too. Overall a good purchase for this budget.

BadgeGS
Date PurchasedJul 2017

Perfect for your first car

Generally reliable car but with age it declines. Have had multiple trips to the mechanic for leaks and replacing air filters. It really started to decline in health at 150,000 KMs. I drive the car on a daily basis. The car is serviced every 10,000 KMs at ultra tune. The drive is smooth and feels like luxury without the dent in your wallet

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Poor Vision, but a comfortable drive.

The Good:
This Mazda 6 belongs to a friend who lives in Brisbane and I borrow it on a regular basis when I am in Brisbane.
The car is well appointed and runs smoothly and is comfortable to drive around town or on long distances ie Brisbane to Sydney and there is heaps of leg room for front and rear passengers,

The Bad:
Front windscreen view is obscured by a black box ( I guess containing the proximity sensors) that is attached to the front screen behind the rear view mirror. Not only is the driver and passenger view reduced but the box looks quite ugly. Rear vision is limited due to the low rake of the rear roof line

BadgeLuxury
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Great vehicle, nearly drives itself

Had my mazda 6 touring now for three months. great vehicle to drive, never puts a foot wrong. the vehicle has many features to aid your driving with auto lights, auto wipers, auto headlamp adjust, sensors that help position the vehicle front/rear and corners. also a great benefit is the cross traffic sensors which alert you of oncoming vehicles when backing out of driveway or carpark. I have owned mazdas before, but none as good as this.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Affordable luxury

I chose the Touring model. Highly recommend. Love the leather interior and the little things that make it such a joy to drive.

Bought it 2nd hand with 70,000kms on the clock. Now at 120,000 and it's no different.

A smooth running car with low running costs and no mechanical issues thus far.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Love my Mazda 6

I love my Mazda 6. Smooth driving and great handling on road on dry and wet weather. The outside looks really slick The interior is beautiful with the leather trims. Everyone who rides in my car for the first time really the like the inside. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good affordable car.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Audi eat your heart out

Before I bought the Mazda 6 I had an Audi A4 Avant with all the trimmings and before that I had a plethora of other cars amongst which my first car was a 626 hatchback. Boy I must say Mazda have come a looooong way since 1988.

I initially in the market for a newer model Audi but when a relative told me to check out the new Mazda 6 I was hesitant at first thinking back to my prior experience. However upon inspecting and driving it, it was amazing!
I found a mint condition GL Series 1 interstate with 18k on the clock. It was barely run in.

Pros:
- Very nice interior (feels sporty and euro feel)
- Very responsive on the road with a sharp steering and cornering capability even with the stock 17s
- Quite economical when it wants to be
- The parking sensors, blind spot monitoring etc all work wonders

Cons:
- Slightly underpowered I feel at low revs
- The mazda connect display needs Android Auto (btw I have managed to install it myself)
- It really needs 19s as the 17s look like 14s on the car
- It would have been nice to make everything LED as standard...

In all I reckon this car will serve me well over the coming years.

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Great driving experance

We love our car as it handles very well on the road and even better in raining conditions. The widow wipers get a little sicky and then when having to use them sometimes scrape but replacing those fixed that issue and we replaced the rims as the stock look rubbish. But the car drives very well

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Great all around car

Had it at 85000km now 120000km. Only spend $800 on new radiator and coolant flush as the original leaked. Other expense are just normal serving cost and and replacement cost for brake and belts etc. No other problem mechanically. Since 110000km i have been driving it very hard around the back roads so far it still holds fine no problem what so ever. NOTE: I do service it everything 6000km religiously and run 95 or 98 premium and add new transmission fluid everything 40000km. Overall i love this car a lot, there are still few nice ones on carsales but i think after 1 or 2 years this car will probably be gone as the age goes up to 15 years even for my 05 model. My rules is buy a 8 to 10 years old car , run it for around 3-5 years then just dump it. So i can spend my money on food. :D

BadgeLuxury
Date PurchasedJun 2015

Great car with luxurious trim

Ive owned this car now for 6 months and its still an absolute pleasure to drive.
Fuel economy is not the rated 6.6, im getting around 7.1 or 7.2 l / 100 km which is still good.
Interior is beautifully done, all leather, nice trim, great sat/nav stereo
Ride is very quiet and smooth, take off is very good. Not a fan of the i-stop but can be easily deactivated (read forums)
Fixed price servicing,

Have been very happy with this car, I have the GT variant and it looks spectacular.

BadgeGT
Date PurchasedDec 2017

Practical yet fun to drive family hatch

Bought the 2011 Mazda6 Touring hatch new from Tom Kerr Mazda (now Ryde Mazda).

Powertrain: average 2.5L NA + 5AT delivers 125kw @ 6000rpm / 226Nm @ 4000rpm does the job, fuel consumption is relatively high in stop/start traffic condition but pretty OK once we get out of Sydney metropolitan area (>30km/h average speed). #95 petrol is recommended, I can feel power automatically degraded on #91 or E10.

Exterior: Front looks OK, the front wheel arch is great but it doesn't translate into the body and rear well (3rd gen has the same problem). Side profile is probably the best to look at. Rear (boot) looks chunky and bulky, the dual exhaust looks sporty but needs a better diffuser to cover the muffler (fat but not squat enough...)...

Interior: Leather (synthetic) quality is good, overall interior is black and sporty, works well, no complaints.

Handling: Best of its class, don't need to repeat what is already known

Steering: Towards the heavy side, it even has some hydraulic feeling (e.g. 2nd gen Focus). Great! No paddles on the steering wheel for Touring, sigh...

Ride: Ride quality is good due to double-wishbone suspension for both front and rear (3rd gen doesn't have the rear double-wishbone any more, pity), it is very comfortable for medium to long trip with kids at the back.

Safety: front / rear parking sensors do the job, 6 air bags (side curtain air bags)

Practicality: The hatch is really the gem / sweet spot of the Mazda6 model. Wagon looks awful for 2nd gen. The hatch has a huge boot, with back seats folded down, I fitted a LG wash machine in it and took it back home from The Good Guys ;-) It's probably even bigger than the F25 LCI X3's boot (except the height). Really love the hatch, it's a pity that the 3rd gen does not offer Hatch any more. I'll wait for the 4th gen to upgrade if Mazda offers hatch again.

It was sold with 6 months service interval but I've never done it (use Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 full synthetic once every 10-12 months at my trusted mechanic workshop)). Later on (2013 or so) Mazda Australia moved to 12 months service interval anyway for the 3rd gen Mazda6 (and others), so no problem at all. The car has been very reliable for the past 7 years and I am going to keep it for a big longer.

Cons: ground clearance is a bit low so be very careful when driving thru uneven surface.

Date PurchasedOct 2011

Love My Car

Bought 2nd hand at the start of the year, so 5 years old when we got it and it feels like a brand new car (we were driving a 20 year old car before though...).
Touring model with leather seats really takes it up a notch from the fabric seats in other models we'd tested. Love the feel of the car, love the sounds, very spacious, the wagon boot is perfect for life with a dog. Love that the back seats can fold completely flat. The drivers seat has pre-set seat placement - perfect for a shared car.
Only thing I absolutely cannot stand is the intermittent wiper function is only available in Auto mode, so the car decides when there is too much water on the windscreen before it will trigger. No matter how sensitive I set it, it will not go when you need it to, totally unnecessary auto feature.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Good spacious car

The car is cool to drive and I enjoy it . It has sufficient airbags to protect ALL passengers.
The cabin height of drivers seat could have been bit more spacious. It is tough to perform head checks if you have decent height as the head touches the top even with the seat at it lowest position.

BadgeGT
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Overall good

Overall it is a nice car, leather interior, auto wipers, auto headlights, personalised seat controls. Only issue is the Bluetooth, it is terrible. Got to do everything over a lengthy voice control and whilst playing music it constantly drops out. I listen to a lot of music over Bluetooth so very dissapointing.

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedDec 2012

love at first drive :)

love this car.
Dreamy to drive - makes long trips enjoyable.
Sufficient airbags to protect ALL passengers. Rides well. Can sometimes have excess road nose but have nite this is a tyre choice not car.
Will defiantly sucking with Mazda And tell all of my mates about it. Next car will be a MAZDA.

TransmissionManual