Great on low kms or oddly, with huge kilometres!

Ok. We live 200kms west of Melbourne. We generally don't use our 'banger-benz' for our regular Adelaide runs. But we could. We came here in 2016 after I ran a W202 up to 214,000 miles in Blighty. MOT costs & rust killed that car not any particular gremlins. In '16 I looked for a safe banger & our W203 C180, an 00 build, came up. Loads of receipts for leccy work incl the dreaded SAM replacements. In honesty I took a punt at 2k but everything worked & touch wood still does. It's a base spec but with no resale intent that's ok. Yet we still get the ESC & perhaps an overdone collection of airbags. It's rubbish on the rutted roads but a 'big car feel' instills confidence on freeways although overtaking has to be planned! It's no perfect car but I feel the shape is going to matter one day, so much I got my Mum an 80,000km example - yes a facelift too. Look, these are nice, sturdy, safe-feeling drivers. I'd truly recommend one with over 200,000kms (ours is over 250k now), the electrics will have been sorted after 15 plus years. We've settled and spent money on bigger more modern cars but the bangerbenz is irreplaceable. I'd get a pimply teen trying to cough up 2k and at that money no old petrol sniffing Commodore or Falcon is a worthwhile replacement. If you stretch to 6k plus the facelifted mollycoddled C180K is a nice long term buy, far more a Merc than the Camryesque (in my opinion) alread 'older'looking W204s out there at 10k. Heck my 2000 looks more revolutionary than the W204.
Great first car? Yes, it is.
Yes ours is used daily and serviced locally for about $600 a major incl bits sourced online.

Purchased in June 2016 for $2,000.00.

Noise Level
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Super slick drive - luxury you can afford!

We use the car for everyday driving and find it such a pleasure to drive. The steering wheel turns so effortlessly (you won't know what I'm talking about until you experience it), it has mind boggling good fuel economy (for diesel version which we have), and service is required very infrequently compared to many other cars.

These cars hold up very well long term without risk of costly repairs.

As an everyday luxury car, you can't go past this!

Purchased in July 2018.

Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Worst car I've ever owned. And I've had a lot over the years.

I came to own this car 6 months ago and I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle. It went well for about three months and since then I have had nothing but issues with it. To make things worse the Mercedes dealership charges a fortune for half pie jobs that achieve very little.

In its last episode I took it in for a service (Cost about $1000) On the way home it broke down. That's unfortunate I thought, so I had it towed back to the workshop. I decided to have all recommended repairs done to hopefully sort it out for once and for all. I gave clear indication that I didn't want it back unless it was 100% mechanically as I live 40km out of town in a rural area. Therefore I need a vehicle that is completely up to scratch. $2000 later I picked up the car, having had the front suspension repaired, some pulleys and belts replaced and the reason it broke down in the first place diagnosed as wet spark plugs and rectified.

The first thing I noticed immediately after driving away was a horrible rattling in the front suspension. I was not impressed. Being late in the day I decided to continue on home and go back the next day. Bad idea apparently. I got about 25 out if 40km on the way home and it broke down again. Same fault as the first time it broke down - running on three cylinders, then on four but in limp mode and only capable of about 90kph with the engine warning light on. To make matters worse, I performed an oil check and the car needed a litre of oil. This was a mere 150 km after a full service and it only needing a top up once in the previous 15,000km. Needless to say I highly doubt even the oil was correctly refilled during it's service. A litre of oil sorted it and 1200 km on its still fine apparently.

Disgusted at the absolutely second rate and overly expensive work performed by a Mercedes main dealership, I decided to take matters into my own hands and roll up the DIY sleeves to sort the issues myself before I go bankrupt. A set of coil packs later ($39 each off eBay compared to $1500 for four genuine ones) saw it miraculously run on all cylinders and the engine light go off. Then the handbrake jammed on. Again interesting for a car that I have just had serviced and had given instructions to find and fix all faults. A can of CRC and some tinkering freed it up.

Further inspection found a perished vacuum hose. I replaced it for 78cents and fuel economy improved immediately. Given it is under the engine cover right by the spark plugs I am surprised it was not noticed and fixed.

Next on the list is that rattling suspension. Parts have been ordered and another $400 spent.

Overall I am highly unimpressed with what is supposed to be a prestige brand known for reliability and longevity. The vehicle had a relatively low 160,000 km and a complete service history from the same main dealer that I again entrusted it to when I bought it. I am now in the position where I have a car that is basically worthless if it's not running right, and I've invested too much money took just walk away from it.

Purchased in July 2018.

C180 estate

Bought a 1 owner 2013 complied C180 AMG estate for my wife in mid Sept 2018,@77k it's in pretty good condition usual parking dings & small scratches but was a honest vehicle with a comprehensive service & repair history. As I own & prefer cars with a more sporting ability I didn't expect too much from it but now having driven it for a while in both city & country roads found the car to be both comfortable & fairly capable in it's performance & handling .As it's a small capacity engine the turbo is slightly OS I feel in traffic & displays initial (slight) turbo lag,but this is only if a quick take off is required from traffic lights or similar situation.Easily eliminated by slightly loading the turbo & engine prior to take off. After the boost builds the engine & 7spd gearbox responds well & quickly gets to the required speed easily. Obviously on the open road this is not a concern & the car's ability's & good quality materials that are used in the cabin makes a comfortable interior. Driven judiciously the fuel range makes for easy long distance driving.After long term ownership of a very reliable Audi A4t estate I thought I would try another Euro car,ignoring the it's a "Mercedes" hype,like much in life it's not perfect but so far my wife & I are happy with it.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Love it

I just picked up my C200 2012 for $18000 from a dealer and it is like new. I am replacing a 2000 C200 after 10 years and I absolutely love them. Not enough to be stupid enough to buy one new... Im just not a car nut enough for that, but for $18k and less than 100k on the clock, Im stoked. Car gets about 850km around town and over 1000km on a run. Once you own prestige, you will never go back to a holden, ford or toyota

BadgeC200 CGI
LineBlueEFFICIENCY
Date PurchasedNov 2018

Really bad

This is a belated review as I bought this car in 2007. Based on my experience Mercedes does not deserve a second look. Expensive Yes! Thirsty Yes! Underpowered Yes! And this is after Mercedes supposedly improved on previous C180 being sluggish.
Quality Nooo!!! First drivers inside door handle broke off in normal use. Really? $300 to repair thank you. Then air handling actuator lever (a little plastic stick to me and you) snapped necessitating removal of dash to fix and $2000 bill. Then car developed parasitic battery drain. Arrgghh! Based on my experience Mercedes and quality do not belong in the same sentence. Car is over-engineered and numerous bizzare small (and large) breakages that are unheard of in any other make of car leave you grossly inconvenienced and breathlessly out of pocket. Do yourself a favour, stay away from Mercedes Benz. Plenty of hype that leaves you short-changed in every way possible.

Date PurchasedApr 2007

Best motor vehicle ever

I’m not really a car person or enthusiast but after having this Mercedes Benz C300 for 10 months I so into this car. Everything about it is just class, performance and safety.
I’ve done almost 30,000 km in this time and the car hasn’t missed a beat with anything. First service was at 20,000 km rather than 25,000 km- my choice. Cost was fair and what I’d expect from a premium European brand. $380. Next one is about $600.
Surprisingly I have had really good mileage from the OEM run flats on the car- definitely at least another 10,000 km to go before considering replacing. 40,0000 km from original Tyres is pretty good in my books.
I have installed an aftermarket air filter from USA which gives it a nice sound and adds about another 10kw of power. Also have an aftermarket chip in it which is unbelievable to the performance. Of course MB dealers don’t like these things so I just take it off for servicing and they are none the wiser!
In summary, this car is awesome in every way possible. Swore I’d never own a black car but how could you resist? AMG package is fantastic.
Do yourself a favor and drive one ☝️ and negotiate a great deal... I did and haven’t regretted it for one second.

BadgeC300
LineAMG
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Antiquated navigation system and noisy rough riding run flat tyres

Purchased this MY 17 C250 Mercedes Benz Estate and in our opinion it’s navigation system is from the dark ages and is definitely not user friendly. Mercedes gave us a part number for an update on this system four months ago and the part is not even available in Australia. We spoke to Service And Spares at a Benz dealership and they all agreed that the navigation system is antiquated. Efficiency at its worst. For a luxury car to have run flat tyres fitted, which are extremely noisy, they do not give good mileage and hate rough roads, including potholes. We have also found out that the resale value is hopeless, insulting actually. This car was $82000 new and after 18 months have been offered $45000 on a trade. Would never buy or recommend a Mercedes Benz to anyone and I certainly would not deal with Mercedes Benz Geelong ever again.

BadgeC250
LineAntiquated navigation system and ridiculous run flat tyres
Date PurchasedJan 2017

Love Love Love

I purchase a used C280 and I absolutely love it. Such a beautiful car to drive, runs smooth, quiet engine and minimal outside noise from inside. Super comfy and classy and so much leg room for all the kids. Lots of boot space which makes travelling easy. Would recommend to anyone.

BadgeC280
Date PurchasedDec 2017

Mercedes C200K W204 Engine Timing Chain Failed Miserably. Very Disappointed And Costly.

My C200K W204 2008 car had to be towed to the nearest garage on 06/02/2018 and had the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, exhaust and intake camshaft adjusters, cam magnets and cam adjuster wiring harness replaced, costing $4,800.00 (inc. GST). The timing chain and camshaft adjusters system are supposed to last the life time of the car but failed miserably at 150,3590 KM. Apparently this is a common issue with M217 engine design after reading reviews by other Mercedes owners in Australia and US. Very disappointed with such prestigious and expensive car. Would be better off with a Japanese or Korean made car.

BadgeC200 Kompressor
Date PurchasedDec 2008

Lovely to drive

I have had it for three years now and love my car. the ride is really smooth. Appreciate the heated seats in winter, the auto parking and the fact that it takes control if I veer off-course or am about to hit something. I really have not done this without still being in control but the car was faster than me. I think it looks gorgeous, like a slinky cat and comes in great colours.

LineElegance
Date PurchasedMay 2015

My midlife crisis not so bad after all

After making the decision to spoil myself and buy a car that I wanted rather than want was expected was th best decision I have ever made. Being a Mercedes the safety features are the best you can find and the comfortability leaves you speechless. Every model is always made with amazing attention to detail ensuring that luxury details are seen, felt and appreciated in every angle. The smoothness of the engine and the pick up of the power definitely made me think about what I had brought and that I need o make sure I drive the car with respect and sensibility. A Mercedes Benz was always a car that many feel is either out of reach, or for someone else and not themselves. If you do your research and really look properly. Also ALWAYS go to a reputable car dealer. I now know that no matter how busy or long my day is at work, I get to drive home in a car I am very proud of and love.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

A dream to drive

I love my 2015 C180 coupe. It has stylish sports car lines. The interior is so to die for. It seats 4 people comfortably. I have a a baby seat in the back. I can easily reach in and clip my granddaughter in. I love the panoramic sunroof especially the built in curtain.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Surprisingly reliable and inexpensive to own, also with surprisingly good performance

My expectations of buying a 15 year old Mercedes were that it was going to be slow and expensive to own, but I have been surprised.

Performance for a heavy 2.0-litre 4 cylinder is actually pretty good. It's usually quiet but when you need a bit of extra power it gets a bit noisy.

The car has great brakes - they seem to defy the laws of physics - it can brake very quickly but without causing discomfort to the driver and passengers.

It is comfortable but the steering is a little vague compared to our other similar-age BMW.

I think our car has a problem with the automatic transmission. It is a little reluctant to change up a gear under certain circumstances. This is a little annoying but isn't a major problem. The previous owner had receipts which showed they had recently serviced the transmission so I guess they were aware of the problem and a service didn't fix it and most likely the transmission needs repair or replacement which is not worth doing at this stage.

It was surprising to find some rust around the sunroof and on one of the doors. I'm not sure if this is common or whether this may be due to poor accident damage repairs as this car does show some evidence of having had some repair in the past.

Visibility is good although the A-pillars are quite wide and can get in the way.

The car has been very reliable for a 15+ year old car. The only issues we have had are the battery (normal with any car, but the Mercedes uses a large and expensive battery, and there is a complex process after replacing the battery to calibrate several systems) and the drag link (part of the steering system with ball joints that caused the steering to have a lot of play). There are some other minor issues like the rear wiper doesn't work which I tried to fix myself unsuccessfully.

The car came with a space saver spare but I was able to fit a full size wheel in its place.

Our model - a wagon - came with built-in child booster seats which are a handy feature. Luggage space is also good for a compact car and we have carried large objects including a single mattress.

Overall I would recommend considering the 202 series models, but I understand that the later models like ours are better as early models have issues with disintegrating wiring.

BadgeC200
LineElegance
Date PurchasedJul 2015

Amazing experience

I use it for work purpose to go to my office. I use it five days a week. It needs to get service once a year. It’s a delight to drive a German car. They are so smooth and delight to drive . I would must recommend them if you want to try the best German car

LineAMG
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great Car

I use my car everyday driving to work, I have owned many different cars in my time, but nothing is like Mercedes. The Drive is very very smooth, the car is sturdy and has great turning circle. I would recommend this car, will probably go for an E-class next car.

LineSports
Date PurchasedJun 2017

Not what you expect from Mercedes badge and a $77k price tag

It is our first Merc experience and ownership, and we are left out of pocket and disappointed overall.
Pros: diesel motor is very efficient, as long as you don’t drive aggressively. Expect about 8~11Lts per 100km depending on your driving habits and use of the Stop/start function, which can be a nuisance in heavy traffic. The 500nm of torque is amazing and can be testing on the gearbox. Road handling is tight and precise. Ride is great, expect on rough roads. Cabin space is adequate but can be a little tight in the rear. Instrumentation and equipment is adequate and easy to use. The Vision pack we added, is a bonus. Sunroof is very good and functional. Boot is a good size.
Cons: Stop/start function, can be annoying in traffic conditions, and its delayed start is dangerous if you need emergency or instant power. It will also stop working, when the battery starts to get old, and a special new battery is approx $500 and upwards to replace. Ouch! Replacement of tyres are a timely requirement at approx 15000kms or less. Expect approx $1000 per set. Balance on front tyres will be required every 5k or less. A nuisance and un-necessary cost. Otherwise, expect excessive wear on the front tyres and an early new set. The rear tyre wear issues, are no better. You don’t have alternative tyre brand options as they either don’t exist or they will change the dynamics of the car. It’s Continental tyres or nothing. The gearbox is not suited to the diesel motor and a times can be clunky and lacking in grace for a Merc badged car. Cabin noise due to the diesel motor is excessive and can be annoying, until the gearbox changes down to the higher gear range. And it get’s worse as the car gets older. Car service cost by Merc dealership is brutal. Expect at least $800 for minor and $1550+ for a major. A fuel filter alone is a whopping $500. And don’t even mention the brake discs. The leather seats are hard and uncomfortable on long distance drives. There is no electrics for seat to go back/forward, but up/down exists. How Cheap. It’s an Option. Engineering and quality is good, but lacks real polish.
Would I buy another Merc. Probably not. The maintenance, hidden costs and upkeep are too brutal. All because you have a Merc badge on the front. Hopefully they have fixed all the technical issues on the next models, but hold your breathe and wallet on the maintenance costs.

BadgeC250 CDI
Date PurchasedNov 2012

C-Class-Good German engineering, rather bad service in Perth from two agents, DIY recommended!

Hi,
C220 CDI W204 2007 model bought second-hand with 120,000km. Found the following servicing problems:

1. Osborne Park did not change the fuel filter at 60,000km, nor Bentley at 120,000km, both items are in the service booklet.The fuel filter was cut open and shows obvious contaminations, it was still the original.
2. Osborne Park did not change the automatic transmission oil and filter at 60,000 and Bentley likewise not at 120,000km. The oil was flushed by myself and was black and stank, not a good sign.
3. The front brake rotors were checked and the recommendation on the invoice was that due to a thickness of 25.3mm, the rotor was out of gauge as 25.4mm was the minimum. I measured the thickness at 26.1, so it was within tolerance.
4. Harder to detect, but it should have been detected during the test run of the service at 120,000km, the water temp. only ever rose to 80 deg. and too slowly, now that I changed the thermostat it rises to the recommended 90 deg. Thermostats, according to Dr Google, are a common failure item with Mercedes.

The service manager told me the customer refused those oil and filter changes, but this is very hard to believe as customers drop their car off for service and then to ask, "Do you really want a service?" sounds a bit odd as they are part of the service at that mileage.

The Varta battery was the original battery and lasted eleven years, a sign of good engineering.

Suggestion is to have a look at the service manual if those oil/filter changes have been ticked.

BadgeC220 CDI
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great Car but DONT TRUST MERCEDES BENZ Warranty and Servicing

I write this to warn all parties out there toget everything in writing. Failed to honor our servicing despite massive problems in 3 years. Now, a $3k servicing bill and Mercedes are "non responsive". We will take it further but please please ask questions so you are not like us.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Run flat tyres

I purchased the car as a demo in 2016 and I have replaced the tyres twice. The life of run flat tyres is less than 20,000 klms in my case and I believe more publicity needs to be given to this major deficit in an otherwise beautiful car. I believe many others drivers on run flat tyres are also experiencing the same poor tyre performance. I do not believe run flat tyres are fit for purpose on Australian roads. $2000/year on tyres alone is a big hit. Am I right or wrong?

BadgeC200