Mitsubishi Mirage

Mitsubishi Mirage

LA (2013-Present) and CE (1996-2003)

The best little car!

My first car was a Mitsubishi Mirage 2003 model second hand that I learnt to drive in I’ve only had my licence for about 6 yrs and I am also a bit older and had no idea how to drive! Never had one problem whatsoever! Excellent on fuel. I got my Mitsubishi Mirage 2003 serviced every 10,000kms and never had 1 problem. A bit small was my only issue and also being a 2 door was a bit hard to get in and out of the back. I would highly recommend this beauty of a car to anyone that is learning to drive, so so easy.

Badge(No Badge)
Engine Size1.5
Date PurchasedSep 2012

Great little car

I've had my Mirage for almost five years, it was bought as a second smaller car but gets driven more often around town. I first tried the manual gbx but didn't like it before trying out the CVT auto and was sold. The CVT works so well to get the best out of the small engine.

Good Points
-Surprisingly zippy for such a small engine
-Goes well in the city and on the freeway
-Inexpensive to buy and insure
-Economical to run, I get around 5 L/100kms (45 mpg US)
-Only needs a service once per year or at 15,000 kms
-Reliable
-Really comfortable seats
-Compact, easy to drive and park in the city
-Quiet, the design must be very aerodynamic as there's hardly any wind noise when driving
-Simple and effective integrated hands free phone system

Things to be aware of
-It's a light car using high strength steel for the body panels to keep the weight down and increase the power to weight ratio. This means that you can feel a sidewind when it's blowing.
-The high strength steel panels can be be dented easily but car doors etc
-The three cylinder engine will burble when cold but once it's warm is very smooth
-Sometimes there's a lack of torque between the fixed 1st gear and when the CVT kicks in, for example when starting at the lights and immediately turning sharply
-The fan could be more powerful, and the windscreen demister could do a better job on cold mornings
-No boot (trunk) light as standard
-Auto Gbx selector not illuminated (although the selection is shown on the LCD display below the speedometer

All in all I'm very happy with my Mirage and it's well worth a test drive if you are in the market for an affordable and comfortable compact car.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

I love my mirage... but

I was looking for a cost effective used vehicle to use for uber.

My criteria:

Excellent fuel economy
A cvt transmission
timing chain rather (no time belt replacement)
cheap price

I bought a two year old Mitsubishi Mirage for $8k. If you are looking for a used vehicle with similar criteria, you will not find a better one for the price. You will not see another brand of car that is two years old with similar criteria until you hit about $12k.

That being said, if you are buying a new vehicle I do not recommend the mirage because at ~$13k driveaway, you are far better off paying an extra $1k to $2k to buy a similar but far more refined and more importantly **much safer** vehicle such as the Honda Jazz.

The Mitsubishi Mirage disintegrated in the small overlap crash test. The newer Mirage performs slightly better, but not much.

Honda Fit (Jazz) small overlap test

A list to small overlaps test for small cars (only some of which are sold in Australia)

I have driven my Mirage for one year.

Pros:

consumption 5.0l/100k real world, similar to my last prius. I do have to drive lightly though, or it will be 6.0l/100k+.
reliable
cheap tyres
The cvt transmission makes the underpowered engine a nonissue by pegging rpms to a level that maximises power (I have driven the manual and do not recommend it)
The transmission includes an engine brake - which saves your brake pads if you use it to slow at lights
handles well, fun to drive, great turn circle
surprisingly roomy
hatchback utility

Cons:

3 cylinder engine is rough and noisy - the car very noticeably vibrates at idle
poor sound insulation
soft suspension - car regularly bottoms out on rough roads with five people
crash test scores are appalling
skinny tires sometimes cause poor tracking on highway
light - wind and semi-truck air turbulence buffet vehicle on highway
resale value is awful - don't buy a new mirage, instead save a bundle on a used one
paper thin sheet metal - I have a few dents just from leaning against the car
poor resale value

**Please**, if you are buying a new car... don't buy this one. Half of traffic deaths are from small offset crashes, and very few manufacturers are able to build a safe small car. The Honda Jazz Toyota Prius C achieve ratings of "acceptable" on this test. The Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent achieve a "good" top rating. Be aware many of these models from prior years failed this test appallingly, which is why they were re-engineered. Only the USA tests small overlap, so unfortunately we simply have know idea of the performance of vehicles in Australia that are not also in the USA market. The vast majority of vehicles fail the small overlap test unless they have been specifically designed to pass it.

I bought a two year old mirage because it was $4k cheaper than the competition and achieves Prius like efficiency for a fraction of the price. However the fact that a two year old mirage has depreciated so much more than the competition says a lot about how much more you get for spending an extra $1k to $2k when buying a new vehicle. This car has been great for uber, however I am risking my life as this car disintegrates in crashes.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Aircon blows hot air within 11 months in my new mirage

The noise levels are a major concern. It rattles on the highways which is a bit scary. Car manufacturers should be honest in providing good quality cars even if the prices are higher. Such cheap cars should not be allowed legally to be sold. It is not worth it. I don’t recommend this car to even my worst enemy

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Great car !

I have owned Mirage 2016 (sedan) LS LA, 1.3 L, for more than a year. Its been a great car, excellent fuel efficiency. Leg room in the rear is unbelievable. Engine is not so powerful considering its a 3 cylinder, it makes a bit of noise but thats normal for a 3 cylinder engine vehicle. Great value for the price. Built quality is not so good, interior is OK but body is not so sturdy, you can easily make a dent if you smash a punch, but you get what you pay for.
Overall, I would give it 4 stars. Mirage is a great car for local day to day commute. Servicing is reasonable at 12 months interval unlike other brands. Top of the range Mirage LS LA comes with loads of features at a reasonable price such as button start, automatic boot release, auto lights (turns off automatically), climate control air conditioning etc. Fuel efficiency is good, but it would have been great if the fuel tank capacity would have a a little bit more.
I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an affordable, reliable car.

Engine Size1.3
Date PurchasedAug 2016

awesome car - couldn't ask for more for the price!

Performs really well, nimble on the road. Haven't noticed much noise. Interior does look cheap but functional
Legroom surprisingly amazing - we actually fit in 4 adults quite comfortably and we're all over 6'1"!! We were shocked.
Really cost efficient to run - slow to go through petrol
Not very powerful up the hills, but really does the job well enough nonetheless.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Very good for a short work commute.

Those criticising the Mirage's looks should compare it to the Nissan micra.
My Mirage had to have the manual gear box replaced at 24000 km. A vibrating sensation was noticeable through the pedals.
The dealer said Mitsubishi had changed manufactures and the replacement shouldn't give me any bother. Has anyone had this problem, or know whether the replacement gear box is of better quality than the original. To their credit Mitsubishi replaced it under warranty, but if it fails again within say 25,000 km, the cost could ruin me.

Engine Size1.2
TransmissionThe manual gearbox had to be replaced under warranty at 23000 km. Does anyone know if the replacement box Mitsubishi fit is any better than the original. I was told by the dealer the replacement box comes from a different manufacturer.
Date PurchasedNov 2013

Very fuel efficient!

This car is a great value car! Very cheap on petrol, 4.6L/100km, and hence the running costs are very low. The overall driving experience was positive, except the fact that the engine is a little loud when you have to accelerate. The interior is about right for the money you are paying for it. As a tall 6 foot man, I could fit comfortably inside. However, one thing is that the interior looks a little cheap, with plastic used in most places. Apart from this, the design is perfect.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Good car - especially for the price

If you are paying less than $15 grand for a car then you have to expect some trade offs. However after driving the car for a while, the highway noise can be a little loud but not overly so and handling is great. The bluetooth has had some issue with Android phones but only happens in a blue moon. The voice recognition is great with a 90% match on the names i say. You do have to keep manually importing the phone contacts into the car for any changes.

Service is cheap with fixed price servicing every 15k kms and super cheap to run. I get about 5L/100 on my daily commute

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Great fuel efficient small car

This car is extremely well in fuel efficiency. It cost me about $35 for a full tank of fuel. Even though this is a lower end small car, it still equipped with a great Bluetooth system. I can play my favourite music in the car connecting to the spotify app from my iphone.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great car for short distance

Compact car that saves fuel, small and easy to park. I only need to pump once a fortnight and it only costs my about 30 dollar. Easy maintenance as well as sleek design. I would recommend for a short distance drive around town. Very comfortable and spacious as the back seat can be adjusted to lie flat.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

OK first car

I don't mind this car, it gets me from A to B, but it is a bit noisy and I'm not a huge fan of what it looks like. Petrol is affordable which is good and when I'm driving around a lot it'll usually last me 2 weeks even with a small tank. It fits a lot more in it than it appears which is handy.

Badge(No Badge)
Date PurchasedNov 2017

I love my purple Mirage

This car is very fuel economical. I use it for work and considering the size of the car, I get all my work equipment in with no problems. We've had no mechanical problems after nearly 3 years. The dashboard is simple but easy to use. Legroom is ok for all the family. My only complaint and it's a small one, due to the size of tyres they need to be changed more frequently than on a bigger car. Reliable, economical and a big bang for a small buck.

BadgeOptions
Date PurchasedOct 2014

Perfect car

Great little car very easy to manage i like driving it beautiful colour and looks. It is very economical on fuel. Air conditioner could have been better. Bluetooth connectivity is also a plus point. Usb connectivity. Full tank that costs around 30$$ can easily do 370 -390 kms which is pretty good.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Good first car

Driving experience is enjoyable, suits my needs perfectly as a single person living in the city. Handles well, is kind of noisy but not any different to other cars in the same price range.
I don't like that the car doesn't have a centre console, but again this seems to be usual. Legroom is perfect for me (167cm). It's tough fitting three adults in the back comfortably, but can be done!
Thus far it's been extremely reliable and cheap to run. I fill up usually for around 20 bucks and a full tank lasts around 500kms

Date PurchasedMar 2017

AWESOME

Admittedly this is my first car that wasnt 10 years old, so I may have low standards, but oh my god I love this car so much. I have had it over 3 years now and have had zero issues except for a flat tyre. It uses almost no fuel and it easy to fit in little spaces and can turn on a penny. If anyone is after a nifty little car this may be the one for you!

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Cheap to run, suspension is quite soft though

I bought this car used at 3 years old with approx 55k on the odometer. It's cheap to run. The suspension is quite soft so it's quite bumpy on rides. If you need a car to get you from A to B , cheap to run, city driving, and you are not fussy about the ride comfort - this is a great car!

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

best car for the money

I bought the 2013 mirage new I've done 100000km now not one thing gone wrong with it only replaced tyres at 76000 I get 4.1 -5.2 lt per 100km it's fantastic on fuel will be buying another one when I've done 200000km it's very light car so can get blown around a bit in a storm but fantastic value for the money

Date PurchasedMay 2013

This is the best first car to have.

To drive this is like a dream cheap to run would go buy another one. Best first car money not in your pocket all the time. So smooth on the road. It's better than Holden Astra. I bought because it was cheaper to run. The space on the inside is bigger than I through going to be. Just love it.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Definitely great value for the price you pay and what you get!

I purchased a 2016 Mitsubishi Mirage ES automatic car brand new at the 2016 plate clearance in January 2017. It only had 45kms on the odometer and was never a demonstrator model so my 5-year warranty started the day I bought it. I got an excellent price due to the dealer wanting to get rid of 2016 models to make room for the 2017 models, so I essentially paid the price of a second-hand car but got a new car. Best time to buy a new car is January.

I wanted a small car that is very fuel efficient, it is definitely one of the most fuel-efficient cars on the road. It had three-quarters of a tank in it when I bought it, this lasted me a week and a half and took me over 200kms (most of which was even slow, peak hour traffic). When I went to fill it up (when the fuel light started flashing), I only spent just under $30.00 filling the tank to full. So definitely not a strain on the hip-pocket! When the fuel falls below a certain level, the fuel sign alerts you by continuously flashing till you fill it up, however, it seems to still show just under a quarter of a tank of fuel. I would have preferred it to have the estimated number of km's left so I could decide how urgent filling up is. I eventually found that you have to go into a menu to find this information….would have preferred this to appear near the odometer and stay on instead of having to press a button and go through a menu to locate this information.
The front seats are nice and high in that as the driver, you have a good view of the road and everything around you. It is a little deceiving how far you are to the car in front of you as the front bonnet dips down so that when you are in the driver’s seat you don’t even see your bonnet at all. I guess it’s something you’d eventually get used to. Being small, it is really easy to park, however inside, especially the driver’s seat and front passenger seat, it is actually rather roomy for a small car. There are three holders for cups near the gear stick and lots of little compartments in the doors etc to put things, however, it does not have pockets behind the driver and front passenger seats which is a shame. I found it strange that it has this little shelf at knee level under the steering wheel. I don’t know what you would store there, but accessing it would be difficult while driving. The glove box is actually quite roomy and I can fit a street directory (a good sized one), a hardcover novel and a newspaper and still manage to close it.

The front seats are very comfortable, however, I don’t like how the headrests push your head forward (as most cars do). Luckily I was able to reverse the headrest and it still was able to fit into the slots securely, once I did this it no longer pushed my head forward and I felt very comfortable, not all cars let you reverse the headrest and still slot in securely, so I find this is a great advantage. The front seats are completely adjustable with slide and recline, the driver’s seat is also height adjustable. I went and got some tailor made good quality sheepskin covers for the front two seats. Now the car feels extra super comfortable and luxurious.

The voice recognition I must say is hopeless. My son and I spent about 10 minutes trying to get it to dial one mobile number, it kept trying to dial 000 and a whole bunch of random numbers and symbols no matter what we said or how clearly we spoke. At least we got a real laugh out of it, especially when I made the statement..…” by now you’d end up having a crash trying to get it to dial that number”, then it said “pardon?” and we both roared with laughter. Luckily my son recorded the whole ordeal and then uploaded it onto his YouTube channel for a laugh. There is the option to do voice training which I will do and hopefully, it will work better once I do the voice training. What’s funny is that there have been a few times while driving (without having done the voice training) that it did end up getting the number correct, then other times when it gets it totally wrong. There is an option to add numbers to the car’s address book which then makes it much easier when you want to make a call. You just need to have your blue tooth switched on your phone and all the buttons you need are on the steering wheel to make a call. The car will even warn you if your phone battery is low.

The boot is very small but still quite useable. I was pleasantly surprised how much extra room can be obtained by rolling the back seats down. We managed to fit an enormous 121cm tall, 4 level cat scratching post/palace into the boot with the seats rolled down which was great. Otherwise if it had not have fitted in we would have missed out on that treat for our cats (we had found it at the side of the road in a council clean up in an area far away from home). I like the fact there is only one button that both unlocks the car doors and the boot, then to open the boot you just need to pull the handle (similar to the car door). I prefer this setup as opposed to a separate button for the boot as I found in my previous car this would sometimes fail and was expensive to fix.

I like the way the car is not low to the ground, it does not scrape when you go up or down driveways of bumps, I used to hate when my previous car scraped on driveways and bumps because it was too low.

The steering is really light and reacts to the slightest turn, very easy to maneuver.
I find that having a very small engine does mean the car will strain going up a hill when the air-con is on and/or there are many passengers in the car. I also find that it can be a little slow off the mark when waiting for a gap in the traffic to turn into a street…you have to ensure there is a large gap, otherwise you won't get through in time. It's no good putting your foot hard down on the accelerator or it will hesitate and jump. Likewise, the engine is a little noisy when going uphill or accelerating from a stopped position, other than that you can't really hear it. The air-con vents are only in the front, there are none for the passengers in the back which is a shame, but the air-con does work well and will cool down the whole inside of the car after a while. What’s interesting is that the air-con is fitted with a pollen filter which is great for those suffering seasonal allergies.

I noticed the plastic panel covering the steering column was open and when I tried to click it closed again, it would soon click open again later. I called the dealership where I purchased the car from “Brookvale Mitsubishi” and they were very accommodating and said that they would fix that up when I come in for the car’s 1500km complimentary service. That’s the only thing I’ve noticed so far that needs attention. I must say I found the whole purchase experience very pleasant and would definitely recommend Brookvale Mitsubishi as they not only gave me a great deal but were not pushy or high pressure and treated me like a very special customer. There was even a lovely little ceremony when I came to pick up the car.

The car comes with ANCAP five-star safety as it has 6 SRS airbags and Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution body so you can have complete peace of mind you are driving one of the safest cars on the road.

I like the black cloth seat trim and black/charcoal interior colours as it not only looks modern and sport, but is very practical in that it doesn’t show the dirt.

I don't like the way the interior windows really fog up in the rain (even with the air set on outside) and the fact the only way to clear them is by using the air-con on the window setting. Luckily you can set it for heat as well as cold and it still clears the windows equally as well, otherwise you'd freeze to death on a rainy winter day. My previous car didn't need the air-con on to clear the fog, instead, I could just blast it with normal air (even hot air) on the window setting and it would work. I tried that in this car but it just got foggier. The back demister works really well, within seconds of turning it on, the whole back window will clear.

I found the USB Port in the glove box which I thought was a strange place to have it but at least it does have one. There is a slight indent for a cord to protrude out from the glove box so you can have it closed while using the USB port. The radio turns on by pressing a button, however, to turn it off you have to press the same button for at least 2-3 seconds otherwise, it will not turn off. I would have preferred it to be a simple press on and press off.

Unfortunately, the horn is not "angry" enough, it is a mere “cute” little beep which sounds like Road-Runner from the old Road-Runner and Coyote cartoons from the 70's. When I am using my horn I am telling someone off, I don’t want to sound "cute".
The side mirrors fold in completely which is great for when parking on a narrow street and you don’t want your mirror to be side swiped by moving traffic.

For a micro car, I think it is attractive, sporty and very well fitted with all the extras, it is comfortable and surprisingly roomy in the front. Easy to park and maneuver, a little slow off the pace and struggles a little going uphill especially with many passengers and the air-con on, however that’s the trade-off for excellent fuel economy which will no doubt be of great benefit to the hip-pocket in the long term. Definitely great value for the price you pay and what you get!

Date PurchasedJan 2017