Mitsubishi Mirage

Mitsubishi Mirage

LA (2013-Present) and CE (1996-2003)

!!! Best car Ever !!!

I bought this car in 2014, never had a single problem, in 3 years ran like a bullet, cheap to run, very easy to drive. Buy it your will never lose.

Purchased in October 2014 for $850.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

The best little car!

My first car was a Mitsubishi Mirage 2003 model second hand that I learnt to drive in I’ve only had my licence for about 6 yrs and I am also a bit older and had no idea how to drive! Never had one problem whatsoever! Excellent on fuel. I got my Mitsubishi Mirage 2003 serviced every 10,000kms and never had 1 problem. A bit small was my only issue and also being a 2 door was a bit hard to get in and out of the back. I would highly recommend this beauty of a car to anyone that is learning to drive, so so easy.

Badge(No Badge)
Engine Size1.5
Date PurchasedSep 2012

Great little car

I've had my Mirage for almost five years, it was bought as a second smaller car but gets driven more often around town. I first tried the manual gbx but didn't like it before trying out the CVT auto and was sold. The CVT works so well to get the best out of the small engine.

Good Points
-Surprisingly zippy for such a small engine
-Goes well in the city and on the freeway
-Inexpensive to buy and insure
-Economical to run, I get around 5 L/100kms (45 mpg US)
-Only needs a service once per year or at 15,000 kms
-Reliable
-Really comfortable seats
-Compact, easy to drive and park in the city
-Quiet, the design must be very aerodynamic as there's hardly any wind noise when driving
-Simple and effective integrated hands free phone system

Things to be aware of
-It's a light car using high strength steel for the body panels to keep the weight down and increase the power to weight ratio. This means that you can feel a sidewind when it's blowing.
-The high strength steel panels can be be dented easily but car doors etc
-The three cylinder engine will burble when cold but once it's warm is very smooth
-Sometimes there's a lack of torque between the fixed 1st gear and when the CVT kicks in, for example when starting at the lights and immediately turning sharply
-The fan could be more powerful, and the windscreen demister could do a better job on cold mornings
-No boot (trunk) light as standard
-Auto Gbx selector not illuminated (although the selection is shown on the LCD display below the speedometer

All in all I'm very happy with my Mirage and it's well worth a test drive if you are in the market for an affordable and comfortable compact car.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

I love my mirage... but

I was looking for a cost effective used vehicle to use for uber.

My criteria:

Excellent fuel economy
A cvt transmission
timing chain rather (no time belt replacement)
cheap price

I bought a two year old Mitsubishi Mirage for $8k. If you are looking for a used vehicle with similar criteria, you will not find a better one for the price. You will not see another brand of car that is two years old with similar criteria until you hit about $12k.

That being said, if you are buying a new vehicle I do not recommend the mirage because at ~$13k driveaway, you are far better off paying an extra $1k to $2k to buy a similar but far more refined and more importantly **much safer** vehicle such as the Honda Jazz.

The Mitsubishi Mirage disintegrated in the small overlap crash test. The newer Mirage performs slightly better, but not much.

Honda Fit (Jazz) small overlap test

A list to small overlaps test for small cars (only some of which are sold in Australia)

I have driven my Mirage for one year.

Pros:

consumption 5.0l/100k real world, similar to my last prius. I do have to drive lightly though, or it will be 6.0l/100k+.
reliable
cheap tyres
The cvt transmission makes the underpowered engine a nonissue by pegging rpms to a level that maximises power (I have driven the manual and do not recommend it)
The transmission includes an engine brake - which saves your brake pads if you use it to slow at lights
handles well, fun to drive, great turn circle
surprisingly roomy
hatchback utility

Cons:

3 cylinder engine is rough and noisy - the car very noticeably vibrates at idle
poor sound insulation
soft suspension - car regularly bottoms out on rough roads with five people
crash test scores are appalling
skinny tires sometimes cause poor tracking on highway
light - wind and semi-truck air turbulence buffet vehicle on highway
resale value is awful - don't buy a new mirage, instead save a bundle on a used one
paper thin sheet metal - I have a few dents just from leaning against the car
poor resale value

**Please**, if you are buying a new car... don't buy this one. Half of traffic deaths are from small offset crashes, and very few manufacturers are able to build a safe small car. The Honda Jazz Toyota Prius C achieve ratings of "acceptable" on this test. The Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent achieve a "good" top rating. Be aware many of these models from prior years failed this test appallingly, which is why they were re-engineered. Only the USA tests small overlap, so unfortunately we simply have know idea of the performance of vehicles in Australia that are not also in the USA market. The vast majority of vehicles fail the small overlap test unless they have been specifically designed to pass it.

I bought a two year old mirage because it was $4k cheaper than the competition and achieves Prius like efficiency for a fraction of the price. However the fact that a two year old mirage has depreciated so much more than the competition says a lot about how much more you get for spending an extra $1k to $2k when buying a new vehicle. This car has been great for uber, however I am risking my life as this car disintegrates in crashes.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Aircon blows hot air within 11 months in my new mirage

The noise levels are a major concern. It rattles on the highways which is a bit scary. Car manufacturers should be honest in providing good quality cars even if the prices are higher. Such cheap cars should not be allowed legally to be sold. It is not worth it. I don’t recommend this car to even my worst enemy

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Great car !

I have owned Mirage 2016 (sedan) LS LA, 1.3 L, for more than a year. Its been a great car, excellent fuel efficiency. Leg room in the rear is unbelievable. Engine is not so powerful considering its a 3 cylinder, it makes a bit of noise but thats normal for a 3 cylinder engine vehicle. Great value for the price. Built quality is not so good, interior is OK but body is not so sturdy, you can easily make a dent if you smash a punch, but you get what you pay for.
Overall, I would give it 4 stars. Mirage is a great car for local day to day commute. Servicing is reasonable at 12 months interval unlike other brands. Top of the range Mirage LS LA comes with loads of features at a reasonable price such as button start, automatic boot release, auto lights (turns off automatically), climate control air conditioning etc. Fuel efficiency is good, but it would have been great if the fuel tank capacity would have a a little bit more.
I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an affordable, reliable car.

Engine Size1.3
Date PurchasedAug 2016

awesome car - couldn't ask for more for the price!

Performs really well, nimble on the road. Haven't noticed much noise. Interior does look cheap but functional
Legroom surprisingly amazing - we actually fit in 4 adults quite comfortably and we're all over 6'1"!! We were shocked.
Really cost efficient to run - slow to go through petrol
Not very powerful up the hills, but really does the job well enough nonetheless.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Very good for a short work commute.

Those criticising the Mirage's looks should compare it to the Nissan micra.
My Mirage had to have the manual gear box replaced at 24000 km. A vibrating sensation was noticeable through the pedals.
The dealer said Mitsubishi had changed manufactures and the replacement shouldn't give me any bother. Has anyone had this problem, or know whether the replacement gear box is of better quality than the original. To their credit Mitsubishi replaced it under warranty, but if it fails again within say 25,000 km, the cost could ruin me.

Engine Size1.2
TransmissionThe manual gearbox had to be replaced under warranty at 23000 km. Does anyone know if the replacement box Mitsubishi fit is any better than the original. I was told by the dealer the replacement box comes from a different manufacturer.
Date PurchasedNov 2013

Very fuel efficient!

This car is a great value car! Very cheap on petrol, 4.6L/100km, and hence the running costs are very low. The overall driving experience was positive, except the fact that the engine is a little loud when you have to accelerate. The interior is about right for the money you are paying for it. As a tall 6 foot man, I could fit comfortably inside. However, one thing is that the interior looks a little cheap, with plastic used in most places. Apart from this, the design is perfect.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Good car - especially for the price

If you are paying less than $15 grand for a car then you have to expect some trade offs. However after driving the car for a while, the highway noise can be a little loud but not overly so and handling is great. The bluetooth has had some issue with Android phones but only happens in a blue moon. The voice recognition is great with a 90% match on the names i say. You do have to keep manually importing the phone contacts into the car for any changes.

Service is cheap with fixed price servicing every 15k kms and super cheap to run. I get about 5L/100 on my daily commute

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Great fuel efficient small car

This car is extremely well in fuel efficiency. It cost me about $35 for a full tank of fuel. Even though this is a lower end small car, it still equipped with a great Bluetooth system. I can play my favourite music in the car connecting to the spotify app from my iphone.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great car for short distance

Compact car that saves fuel, small and easy to park. I only need to pump once a fortnight and it only costs my about 30 dollar. Easy maintenance as well as sleek design. I would recommend for a short distance drive around town. Very comfortable and spacious as the back seat can be adjusted to lie flat.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

OK first car

I don't mind this car, it gets me from A to B, but it is a bit noisy and I'm not a huge fan of what it looks like. Petrol is affordable which is good and when I'm driving around a lot it'll usually last me 2 weeks even with a small tank. It fits a lot more in it than it appears which is handy.

Badge(No Badge)
Date PurchasedNov 2017

I love my purple Mirage

This car is very fuel economical. I use it for work and considering the size of the car, I get all my work equipment in with no problems. We've had no mechanical problems after nearly 3 years. The dashboard is simple but easy to use. Legroom is ok for all the family. My only complaint and it's a small one, due to the size of tyres they need to be changed more frequently than on a bigger car. Reliable, economical and a big bang for a small buck.

BadgeOptions
Date PurchasedOct 2014

Perfect car

Great little car very easy to manage i like driving it beautiful colour and looks. It is very economical on fuel. Air conditioner could have been better. Bluetooth connectivity is also a plus point. Usb connectivity. Full tank that costs around 30$$ can easily do 370 -390 kms which is pretty good.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Good first car

Driving experience is enjoyable, suits my needs perfectly as a single person living in the city. Handles well, is kind of noisy but not any different to other cars in the same price range.
I don't like that the car doesn't have a centre console, but again this seems to be usual. Legroom is perfect for me (167cm). It's tough fitting three adults in the back comfortably, but can be done!
Thus far it's been extremely reliable and cheap to run. I fill up usually for around 20 bucks and a full tank lasts around 500kms

Date PurchasedMar 2017

AWESOME

Admittedly this is my first car that wasnt 10 years old, so I may have low standards, but oh my god I love this car so much. I have had it over 3 years now and have had zero issues except for a flat tyre. It uses almost no fuel and it easy to fit in little spaces and can turn on a penny. If anyone is after a nifty little car this may be the one for you!

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Cheap to run, suspension is quite soft though

I bought this car used at 3 years old with approx 55k on the odometer. It's cheap to run. The suspension is quite soft so it's quite bumpy on rides. If you need a car to get you from A to B , cheap to run, city driving, and you are not fussy about the ride comfort - this is a great car!

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

best car for the money

I bought the 2013 mirage new I've done 100000km now not one thing gone wrong with it only replaced tyres at 76000 I get 4.1 -5.2 lt per 100km it's fantastic on fuel will be buying another one when I've done 200000km it's very light car so can get blown around a bit in a storm but fantastic value for the money

Date PurchasedMay 2013

This is the best first car to have.

To drive this is like a dream cheap to run would go buy another one. Best first car money not in your pocket all the time. So smooth on the road. It's better than Holden Astra. I bought because it was cheaper to run. The space on the inside is bigger than I through going to be. Just love it.

Date PurchasedApr 2017