Modern Group Questions & Answers

VIC, Tullamarine, QLD, Murarrie, WA, Wangara, etc...
4.1 from 2,784 reviews

26 questions from our users

Bruce Wright

Bruce Wrightasked

VIC, Tullamarine

Hello
I am wanting to have an external shutter / blind installed on a bedroom on west facing wall on my house in Greenvale.
Can you assist with a price $$$ and installation availability for this,

Modern GroupModern Group

Hi Bruce, we would love to help. If you could email your best contact number and postcode to customercare@moderngroup.com.au we will put you in touch with your local service team. Alternatively, you can call them directly on 13 11 78! :)

Pauline R

Pauline Rasked

Modern Group

I am trying to select what colours I want to get for both my roller shutters and a garage door. I want them to match as much as possible. I initially selected the beige slats with the sand rails. The garage doors come in colourbond colours only and I need to know which colourbond colours match the beige. Is there anyway of finding this out without having another rep come to my house?

Modern GroupModern Group

Hi Pauline yes we could send you out some sample’s to help you with the colour match
Please email your details to customercare@moderngroup.com.au

W M S GULAVITA

W M S GULAVITAasked

NSW, Sydney Solar

Why does not your contracts have a cooling off period,please?

Hi W M S,

The Modern Group always complies with with the current legislation, depending on the situation, our contracts can have Cooling-Off periods or Non Cooling-Off periods. If you would like further information on your contract it is best to speak with your local branch in 13 11 78.

Ana

Anaasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

After renovations one of my existing Modern Plantarion Shutters doesn't fit, it has 4 panels, it was fitted on a raw brick window, now this window has gyprock and tiles, it became 20 mm narrower at both sides, my plantation shutter is a total of 40 mm TOO WIDE, the high is ok.
My question is can it be fix? Is there a way to make it fit the window?

Juergen
Juergen

Most likely, if you got a surrounding frame, the panels can be modified to be mounted directly into the window opening. Any carpenter can do this for you.

John H

John Hasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

Hi. Do you have finance options available?

Yes they do I just signup today and they have 40% discount if you install more than 4

Slavko B

Slavko Basked

Hi

Just wondering if I can get a qoute for our town house two stores with only 4 windows to install roller shutters

[address removed]

I can provide you measurements if that makes you earlier or send pics

Slavko

Hi Slavko,

Would you please be able to email your details (name, full address, contact number) to customercare@moderngroup.com.au. We will then be able to organise someone to come out and give you a quote.

Tamcams

Tamcamsasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

My shutters are just over 18 months old. One in son’s bedroom is stuck down. Rang Modern and they said there is a $205 call our fee! The shutters were really expensive to start with and I think that fee is absurd! It’s not the remote so must be the motor, any tips on how to fix it?

sandy
sandy

first of all the shutters have a 2yr warr and motor 5 yr warr so there should not be any call out fee. they have to repair at no cost to you!!!!

Carol Woods
Carol Woods

Hi - one of my shutters got stuck on open. I manually pulled it down and it has not been a problem since. Maybe try to open manually?

mel
mel

Mine only lasted 18 mths too. Modern only had 12mths warranty even though mine were $1500 to $1800 each. The salesman gave us the impression they had a 5 year warranty. Make a big deal and they may repair for cheaper.

Roseasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

Hi, could anyone recommend a reputable roller shutter company in Melbourne that has been around for a while and provides a high quality product and good workmanship? I hear alot of scary stories about China based manufactured products and I myself have experienced this first hand. However, that said, there are also quite a few dodgy local manufacturers and suppliers as well. I would also appreciate some advice on what to look out for in such things as the quality of the aluminium used to the type of motorised mechanism. I would like to know the pitfalls of some of these products and dodgy suppliers so as to hopefully make a better choice.

Glenda N
Glenda N

Hi Rose, we recently had shutters installed from the Modern Group. We are thrilled with the workmanship and quality of these blinds. Not only do they completely shut out the light but now we have absolutely no condensation from these windows at all. Also they are operated from inside the house so are extra security for our precious house. The workmen who installed the shutters were very professional, friendly and cleaned up after themselves. They also explained how to operate and recharge the controls. Can't say enough how happy we are with these shutters, good luck, hope this is some help to you. ☺☺

Hi Glenda,
I have seen really bad reviews about the "smart drive" technology used by Modern and so am a little wary about using this company. But thankyou for your reply.
Cheers Rosa

Alison

Alisonasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

Hi do you do the plantation shutters?

Hi Alison,

Yes we do install plantation shutters, if you would like a quote please respond with your details (full name, address and phone number). We will have someone from your state get in touch to discuss a time we can come see you.

Jim

Jimasked

Modern Group

I installed Modern's panels about two years ago. I will be adding to the system in the future but with the frequent improvements in panel efficiency I wish to be sure that any new ones I install are at the leading edge of current technology. So my question is : Do "Modern" stay abreast of that technology?

Hi Jim,

Modern only use the latest and most reliable technology available for our Panels. If you would like to know more about your system and what upgrades you can make to it, please respond with your details (full name, phone number and address) or email them to customercare@moderngroup.com.au, we will put you in touch with one of our managers and they will be able to give you all the information you need.

Chani from the Modern Customer Care Team

Ming

Mingasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

Hi, there, Now I live in a inner city apartment, I want to install a shutter for reduce the light and noise level, can't be outdoor one because of body corp, just wondering price and possibility?

Thanks,
Ming

Hi Ming,

We would need to take a look at the window, especially because it is indoors, and take measurements in order to give you an accurate quote and make sure our product would fit into your window. If you could please respond with your details (full name, phone number and address) and we will have someone get in contact with you shortly.

Ellen

Ellenasked

Can you give me a free quote size is 135cmHx181.5 please

Hi Ellen,

We would be very happy to help you with a quotation.
If you could please send your contact details (name, address, phone number) to customercare@moderngroup.com.au we will arrange this for you.

Col

Colasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

What is the cooling off period for shutters when a deposit has been paid in Queensland?

Hi Col,

Thank you for your enquiry. Cooling off details can be found in the documentation of the contract, in the terms and conditions on page 2, which describes the relevant cooling off period.

Relevant cooling off notices are also supplied in the agreement documentation as relevant to the type of agreement the client has.

If there you have any questions please call our team in Queensland on 07 3902 7300 who will be able to look up the order and advise accordingly.

Thanks,

Modern

fox valley

fox valleyasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

None of the shutters are opening now. 2 sliding doors and 4 windows are all completely barricaded by the shutters, the key battery that operates is OZROLL, ODS control 10, 14.4v 1.5Ah.

- Battery is fully charged; when press the button to open, the motor just makes trutt sound as if there is no gut in the motor to open the shutters.
Very frustrating. We went for the best (MODERN) not realising that we will be in this situation.
Would appreciate if anyone from Modern can contact me.
My email address: ayubamaani@hotmail.com and also mohammed.khan@sswahs.nsw.gov.au
PH: 02 87388659 (w); 0412303951 (m) after 5pm.

Angela
Angela

I suggest you get onto Consumer Affairs. From my dealings with Modern - fortunately cancelled contract because of a totally unrealistic price and totally unprofessional. Consumer Affairs will get up their jumper and push them. Good luck. Being ripped off is not the Australian Way!!

Rola Rahal
Rola Rahal

I have the same problem and had on a few of my shutters when I first installed them. Just terrible quality.

GoldenThreadfinn
GoldenThreadfinn

look outside on the end plate of the shutter. There are 2 screws ,and if those are more than 4 inches apart, you got a motor problem. common with those models when they get old. You may have a L10, but you really want a T20 in those.

lesleebowen

lesleebowenasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

My shutters give off a pungent smell with the heat of the sun - is this normal?

pcmiller13
pcmiller13

I would be asking for a refund! The consultant said that only the cheap shutters made in china give of smells and warp etc... But I don't know because we didn't buy any shutters. Ring the company and ask them, then if they don't answer you go to department of fair trading to see what can be done.

sandra

sandraasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

What is the cooling off period if all I've paid is a deposit?

SirLeonKennedy
SirLeonKennedy

Generally 10 business days but if you're happy to put a sign in your front yard Modern may be willing to drop it as low as 3!

Luckyluke

Luckylukeasked

NSW, Sydney Shutters

What is the cooling off period after you sign up with a pushing salesmen?

rosie
rosie

I got told there wasn't one. I told the salesman I would like some time to think about it, he essentially yelled at me that the offer was only valid today and if I didn't take it, he'd give it to someone else. Haha. I declined the offer!

damn
damn

it is 5 days or 10 cant remember by law regardless of moderns small print ring Consumer Protection | Department of Commerce they will tell you your rights just went threw same thing getting out of no cooling off period lols thanks Consumer Protection

Hi, Consumer Protection WA here. If you have signed up to a contract as a result of a visit from a salesman when you have asked a company to provide a quote, you may be eligible to a 10 business day cooling off period under the Australian Consumer Law’s unsolicited consumer agreement requirements. If you would like to know more visit Consumer Protection’s website at www.commerce.wa.gov.au/cp or contact us on 1300 30 40 54 for more information.

Ciaran14

Ciaran14asked

NSW, Sydney Solar

I just signed up last night for moderns 400l hot water solar system with tank on ground and collection cups on roof for $6k. Has anyone had the hot water system installed and if so how much did u pay? All reviews talk about panels etc would like some feed back so I can cancel in cooling of period of not good
Cheers

andysgalant

Get these guys to give you a quote http://endless-solar.com.au/ or http://www.apricus.com.au/apricus-solar-collector/ Endless solar is aussie made and the collector (the bit that sits on the roof) is made out of copper with a aussie made stainless steel tank evacuated tube technology this is the next generation in solar hot water far superior to any any flat panel on the market. by the way Modern uses vitreous enamel storage tank this will have a very short life span with the higher temperatures used by solar hot water systems

John

I don't have solar hot water so I can't honestly answer your question Ciaran14 but I think andysgalant is good advice, knowing what I know now I wouldn't have gone with modern.

Johnasked

NSW, Sydney Solar

I would like to know why Modern charged me $20000 (after rebates) for my 24 panel system 6 months ago when I can get the same thing everywhere else for well under $10000? Pushy sales people and high pressure selling to people who have no knowledge should be illegal, it is clear to me that this industry needs regulating to protect the consumer, am still deciding whether to bring the lawyers in.

andysgalant

I can't comment for your case, but in mine they quoted a crazy amount and my experience indicates they deliver poor quality products and poor quality labor.
when I got mine quoted they were talking about having PV Panels that were 24% efficient back in those days that was unachievable, then changed there story to 24% inefficient. does that mean the panels are 76% efficient, if that were true they would have solved the worlds energy problems.

Pete Strangeasked

Hi ,
My name is Pete and I have just signed a contract today and I am worried now after reading all of this and was wondering if I can get out of it ?
Any help ASAP would be appreciated.

Deni

Hi Pete, my Brother and his wife have tried very hard to cancel their contract. It can be done.. Modern have claimed there is NO cooling off period in the contract, however I have personally found out that under consumer law there is either a 5 or 10 day cooling off period for things like this. The 5 or 10 day period depends on whether or not they have cold called you or whether you approached them. I was informed of the consumer law cooling off period by a Solahart consultant that I had out to my place to quote on solar hot water and solar system.
My brother is now still awaiting the full refund of the deposit they paid at the time of signing the contract. This as you can tell has taken quite some time, many phone calls, emails and faxes.
Good Luck with this.. If you have any further questions that I may be able to help with please don't hesitate to ask. Just be prepared to be given the run around, for emails to bounce back and for getting no assistance on the phone..
All the best...

Thank you so much !
Wish me luck as it was only signed on Saturday !
Really really appreciated !

Deni

Good Luck Pete.. Not that you will need it.. Knowledge is power, use the knowledge you now have to your advantage.
It's my pleasure to have helped. I hope that the information I have provided helps..

Get an answer from our members and Modern Group representatives