Ryobi 1500W Electric Edger RED1520G

Ryobi 1500W Electric Edger RED1520G

Bunnings offered full refund after 6 months of use...

Returned it to Bunnings for a full refund as they do not stock replacement cutter blade.
This will be removed from their shelves. but good service from staff and spare parts dept.

Purchased in September 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse for $99.00.

Noise Level
Product is used: Weekly
Grass Type Tall grass

Badly designed and poorly supported, expensive landfill!

Awkward and difficult to use. It wobbles around and you cannot see the blade to it with any precision. I put up with this products shortfalls until now, when I tried to purchase replacement blades and found Ryobi do not support a product costing 100's of dollars and barely 4 years old. Ryobi have clearly moved their focus to the more lucrative cordless market, and I doubt any of the negative feedback this product is getting will achieve anything. Why would any consumer continue to buy any products from a company with such arrogance. I know I won't.

Purchased in January 2015 at Bunnings Warehouse for $200.00.

Noise Level
Product is used: Occasionally

Machine needs new brushes. Ryobi say buy new motor for $180

Have been using this unit with no problems until recently motor started running intermittently. Disassembled unit and found it needed new brushes. Armature etc in good condition. Ryobi advised that they do not sell the brushes and that a new motor would be needed. $180. In your dreams!!! I have used power tools for over 55 years and have never ever been unable to buy brushes, which in most cases cost $20 - $30. Absolute price gouging. The edger cost me $149 in 2013, now Ryobi want to charge me $180 for just the motor. Will never buy another Ryobi product again.

Purchased in November 2013 at Bunnings Warehouse for $149.00.

Product is used: Occasionally
Grass Type Short grass

Motor burn out.

What a disappointment!
Reading reviews, other people have had the same problem. I hope to resolve this, or get a more reliable unit.
I would have thought that Ryobi would be a reliable product, designed and suited for Australian gardeners.
I don't know which way to go, battery or electric. I will consider my options and the reliability, warranty and the after sales service of the unit.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Ryobi 1500w Edge Trimmer

What piece of junk, the first one lasted 10 minutes and the motor burnt out, back to Bunnings under warranty, got another one, lasted 12 minutes and themotors burnt out on the replacement one as well.
You are probably thinking that it is operator error, nope used within its design specifications on small front lawn.
Dont waste your time.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Great at filling landfill

I thought using this edger would save me time cutting the edges of my front yard. The blade worn out after one use, what a complete waste of money and time. I had to bring out my whipper snipper to finish the job. Not sure what I can use this useless Ryobi stick for, filling the landfill maybe??

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great product but initially a bit awkward

Have used this now quite a few times with summer coming on and the grass coming alive again. Works extremely well despite my lawns overtaking the concrete edges with a vengeance. I wore the cutter down about 4mm just due to my initial handling when trying to find the concrete edge trim line. Now that is done I couldnt be more pleased with its performance and ease of use. I also did my daughters lawns quite easily and have a very pleased customer. I find its easier to use than my old petrol edger mainly due to the lighter weight with better machine support and balance. The cut line location is also easier to see on the new machine. The replacement cutter purchase was $20 but I have persevered with the old cutter for the time being as the only effect of the worn one was a lower cut depth otherwise it still runs well as is. Its easier to maintain and I dont have to worry about mixing fuel, etc any more.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
An update on edger. Unit is still going well and being used reasonably regularly. The colder weather has slowed down growth so grass edges have stalled now. Sept 2018

Good at throwing muck

The rotation is all wrong for the guard. The blade rotates up towards the front where the guard is short, throwing dirt and cuttings over the fence, into the pool and everywhere. Looking to get a refund on the disaster. Hard to believe there are no posted reviews of this product highlighting the

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Short lifespan but can't do without one

I have already burnt out the motor on my first one but have bought another as it is easy to use once you get the hang of it. It cuts through kikuyu at the beach. Great for clean edges on concrete drives, around edges of garden beds even those with a curve but not so easy to use on Bluestone kerbing. Sparks fly! Blades easy to change and an extra long extension cord means short work of long drives. I find it must easier than other line trimmers which I was forever having to replace lines which wore out or broke.

Don't buy Ryobi - or you will regret!

I first bought a Ryobi petro line trimmer. Every time I have to pull it virtually 50 times or more to start. It stops frequently in the middle of operation, then it is another 50 times to pull! Often I just gave up. Eventually the pull line snapped at the very root, so I left it on the road side.

I then bought a Ryobi battery trimmer, since I hate having to pull the line 50 times. This trimmer smoked after 50 uses. I contacted Ryobi, they are not interested to help. I will not buy a Ryobi again in my life, and I urge you to do so. Their product looks beautiful, but it is not properly designed or tested!

Better than using a weed eater

Faster and easier than a weed trimmer curves are hard but once you lean not so hard . Would not get if you only have carves. First time use hardest but once done reguly no problem and with a 5.ah battery never run out .Still on my first blade and new blades $14.98 and like most battery tools best for home use

Cumbersome and difficult to use

There must be better products on the market - went by brand and am very disappointed.
Useless on curves - the long distance between the front and back wheels makes it hard to turn.
Blade wears far too quickly - probably bad quality steel??
Not really enough depth of cut, and gets worse with the fast blade wear.
Heavy and cumbersome to use.
Easier than edging by hand - but only marginally.
Heavier than the two stroke edger it replaced

not Easy

Near impossible for bends, hard to get depth correct if your lawn varies you will be adjusting it all the time, i expected an easier time as per description on box, when the grass covers the cement it is very easy to hit the blades and the cutter jumps dangerously, even kicking back to the user.

Hard to push, hard to see blade alignment, hard to do any sort of curve

This unit is excellent once you master it Curves no problem just a blit of practice only problem is everybody wants me to visit them and do their edges.If your not happy with this product try going back to a spike wheel .edger you are kidding