St.George Maxi Saver

St.George Maxi Saver

See the Best Savings Accounts in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Rate drops to very low percent without warning

Need to contact St George every 3 months and ask for discretion rate, else it goes down to worthless rate. They did not call or message me to tell me rate drop, and I am feeling being robbed.

Flexible Savings Account Option

I ended up starting a couple of these internet savings accounts. I find them particularly useful because I can deposit into the maxi account directly and it gives me a better options in managing separate accounts. I like the idea of keeping linked but separate accounts for the couple of various sources of income that I have so it is not all jumbled together and this is so much more flexible for me.

I can now also pay attached credit cards with these maxi savers without first having to deposit the $ into the main account and then transferring to credit card as I did before, so it is faster. There's bonus interest for new account holders but not sure how it currently compares to others out there at the moment, so if that's important you can probably use a comparison aggregator [like infochoice.com.au] to check first. I think Rabo was higher at the time I signed up but these are more convenient for me.

I'd recommend it for people who like a little more flexibility, who like to organise accounts for different needs/uses or also current St George customers.
Far more flexible options than other internet saver accts. Can direct deposit, access via branch (for a fee). No monthly fees. Big improvement over their old Direct Saver type accounts.
'Staff assisted' in-branch access fee of $2.50 but I assume this is standard. Can't Bpay directly from this account.

Good

Generally, a much better than average account in this category. I hope they never drop the features/functions that their "competitors" don't have. If it wasn't for the unpleasantness re: the application of the bonus rate,and the lower interest rate (without haggling) I would have given it a 5 Stars
Can pay salary etc directly into it- so it's earning good interest immediately.That is rare, if not unique, with this type of account.
Linked account does not have to be with St George, which is really useful- no extra account keeping fees, and don't have to move direct debits to new account.
Interest rate isn't great, but you can haggle to get a bonus rate applied,whereupon it becomes about as good as the best at call rate around.
Should get it in writing and check it's being applied. I found, after I was offered and accepted the bonus rate, that the letter did not match the phone call to me, and it was not applied for the length of time of the offer. Luckily, I had noted down the names and dates and times involved in the relevant phone calls, and after a long, nasty process, St George did make good on the initial offer.

OK

Overall St George is a good bank, but they tend to be a bit slow on raising the interest for savings accounts in comparison to other banks. I have often seen higher interest elsewhere, then a month or so later St George comes to the party. Theya re a friendly bank, who have always had time to explain properly and listen to me so they are a good bank.
The interest rate at times is pretty good. It iseasy to transfer money. They are a friendly easy to deal with bank.
The interest rate is often lower than other banks, so check carefully before deciding

Good

Good savings, excellent and reputable bank, good interest. Overall this savings account rests up in the top quota of savings accounts.
St George bank has very good customer service, lots of branches and atms are available in different areas so you're not walking for ages in order to avoid fees. The direct saver itself has a great interest rate.
Nothing that would sway people from using this.

why have they changed the maxi saver account so that you cannot see the inetrest rate or the date it started

I was previously a happy banker with ING direct but switched to St George when i realised they had higher interest rates than ING. As a saver i want to make the most of it so i switched. Things are nice and peachy with St George. I think the interest rate im on of 5.75% is a promotional rate though and could still fall if interest rates keep dropping.
Easy to set up. Can be linked directly to my St George every day account. Online management tools are easy to use. Easy to transfer money between my st george accounts, it's almost instant.
Non so far.