I love my Impreza

I have my third Impreza and fourth Subaru. I find the impreza meets all my travel needs. Comfort, safety, reliable and economical. The vehicle is used daiky comuting to jobs collecting kids and shopping

Purchased in September 2018.

Not happy Jan.

Purchased new in 2017, car is now a little under two year old with 17K on the clock. Serviced by selling dealership only. CVT transmission is a lemon. Continually changes up to a higher ratio when you attempt to accelerate, which has a retarding effect on the engine. It is so bad I initially thought the engine was miss firing but after talking to the service manager I was told it is "a characteristic of this type of transmission" and there is no "fix". What a load of bull. I see Subaru USA has acknowledged a problem with this transmission and is offering the 1.5 million Subaru owners an extended warranty in an attempt to head off a class action. Why has Subaru Aust got it's head in the sand, they need to fix the problem, it won't go away. Never again will I purchase a Subaru.

Purchased in April 2017 for $28,000.00.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
BoughtNew

Great car

This car replaces a 5 year old Mitsubishi Lancer which has been faultless since new. The Impreza was bought as my wife’s car and is the top of the range. The selling point for me was the 5 year warranty as per our last car and it is the only small car with heated external mirrors which are important in cold cloudy conditions common where I live. It came with 18 inch rims and low profile tyres which I had replaced with 17’s as I live on a corrugated dirt road. It still has a harsher ride than the Lancer but is quite acceptable. The Impreza has the ‘eyesight’ system which is brilliant. Lane departure, adaptable cruise, excellent gps System which can be voice activated, LED lights which are self levelling and automatic. This car will drive itself on a country road with painted lines on both sides of the road.there are other features too many toname but the best for me is the lights which follow the steering. I live in the ADELAIDE Hills and drive a twisty road twice daily. These lights seem to shine around corners that are 90 degrees. The car is only a few weeks old and the radio is often distorted like a faulty connection. The dealership did an upgrade at first 1000kms check and this has made it worse. I have since found that problem is common and Subaru is trying to develop a fix. My neighbour’s Car has the same problem and hers is 2 yers old. Other aspects of the radio system such as phone, cd’s etc are excellent but I will not be a happy Chappy if mine is still not working after 2 years. The only other aspect of the car that has me worried is the ground clearance o ver drains and gutters, I have scraped the bottom a couple of times on my neighbours drive but there doesn’t seem much to be damaged underneath. The suv version has more clearance but I want a low, safe driving car as we do a lot of long fast country drives.
The all wheel drive system seems faultless. The gearbox is responsive and does not ‘flare’ like the old Lancer. The motor is starting to loosen up and seems to have enough power to cope with most situations but it would go better with the 2.5 when fully loaded. the first time I did a quick trip on loose gravel a bit if rock intruded into the gap between the rear disk and the backing plate which meant a long trip home with a screeching noise . The dealer said he had seen it a couple of times before. Personally I can see no reason for this plate, my other cars don’t have one. seats are heated but I have never used them in the old car. They are very comfortable, switches and instruments are clear and easily accessible and there is more information available than I’ll ever need. It has a Digital speedo as well as the old fashioned round dial and my wife loves this as she can see the speed easily from the passengers seat and stop me speeding.
My wife finds the car easy to drive and park and rear cameras and sensors are a great aid here. If. It lasts us the 5years without a problem I will be very happy. Please fix the radio!

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Love

I bought my Impreza a yr ago, I love my car. The only thing Im concerned about is the speaker, sometimes it gets muffled and I asked at my last (first) service for them to look at it. They said it could be apart of the software and just need an update but it still happens every now and then. I will mention it again at my next service. Other than that, I love this car. Drives beautifully and reminds me of my Honda Civic- I would've have bought another civic except I didn't like the new civic shape.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

2016 MY17 Impreza

I just bought this a few days ago from John McGraths Canberra in great condition and only $18,300.00. While people.complain about the power on these, it is not a WRX so don't expect a race car. It has plenty of power and sits the highway great on cruise control. Full car still smoothly Powers up all hills. The added features for adjusting speed to the car in front is amazing. Would recommend to anyone.

Badge2.0i Premium
Date PurchasedDec 2018

Underperforming but still good value.

We have a 2017 model and the biggest issue we have is that it needs higher octane fuel. We have taken it back 3 times due to uneven acceleration going up the slightest incline . We have solved the problem with using higher octane fuel. It just doesn't run well with regular 91 octane fuel.
The towing capacity is pretty marginal as your not going to tow much more than 500kg after you put passengers in the car. The cargo space is great and with the flat fold seats you can really load it up.
The bluetooth on the head unit can be extremely frustrating. It works 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time you need to turn the car off for a couple of minutes to fully reboot. Seems to be worse with Apple.
The fuel economy is nowhere near what is claimed but thats par for course I think.
We were supplied the Impreza as a work vehicle and it handles OK and the interior is really nice for a car at this price point. In 18 months nothing has failed and it has been perfectly serviceable .

Would I buy one with my own money ? Maybe as there really isn't anything else at this pricepoint with this much space . The previous workcar was the much maligned Holden Cruze and we actually preferred that.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Subaru Impreza Sport Hatch

Love my Impreza not only does it have all the bells and whistles like sat nav, sunroof, reverse camera, heated leather seats, bluetooth plus lots more it drives like a dream. I feel really safe on the road with the all wheel drive and ABS brakes. Truly the best car I have owned.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Great quality of build

For the price range it is an awesome car. This car is competing with likes of Corolla, Golf and i30.
The Good: It has great build quality and interior feeling. very spacious. lots of space for back seats. full of safety features. great seats. has 3 screens that show all information you like. drives well. high visibility.
The not so good: A bit expensive. the AWD is probably not necessary for Brisbane, but you are paying for it anyway. Aircon is not the quickest to cool down cabin on a sunny day.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Such a nice car to drive, handling is great, seats are comfortable, very spacious for a small car

We have owned the car for around 1.5yrs and have loved it. Roof racks are very handy however we can even fit our stand up paddle boards inside the car.

Very spacious for a small car. Great handling, through the steering wheel you can tell the quality put into manufacturing this car.

BadgeGX
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJan 2017

Solid, if underwhelming.

This car has been typically reliable, and has strong safety credentials for its time. The interior is a little 'plasticy' but still functional and durable. However, performance-wise it can feel quite lethargic. A 92kw engine coupled to a 4-speed auto and the added weight of AWD will do that. So, you should get a manual version if possible.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Exceptional value car

We purchased new this 2018 i-S hatch in June.
It replaced 3 y.o. Mazda3 GT
It is quieter and better than the 3 in every regard.
Not much slower or thirstier than the 2.5 either.

It's funky design, ultra high resolution graphics screens continue to wow.
Outward vision is exceptional
Super plush ride soaks all the bumps, but still corners like it is on rails!
Looks way more expensive in and out than it is.
No issues, would recommend it and Subaru generally.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Safety and performance

I bought the 2017 Impreza, top of the range sports, after my own vehicle was written off. As my first new car purchase i was nervous about depreciation and a new car loan. Safety was one of my highest corners after experiencing what happens when you are in a car accident. Subaru is a brand that the car wrecker suggested when towing away my old vehicle- he said they never have broken down subarus- they just keep going. Well, since I've got my Impreza I have driven through storms, floods, heat waves and other difficult driving conditions, Subaru is built to handle roads whilst providing passenger and driver comfort and safety. I have 100% confidence in my vehicle and highly recommend others consider buying one.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Great car.

Very cheap on fuel, a full tank lasts me an entire week and I drive quite a lot. Good looking car, very sporty & easy to drive. Pretty decent size boot for a small car. And has perfectly fitted my grand daughters two car seats inside while we travelled to the zoo.

BadgeRS
Date PurchasedMay 2012

Great safe Vehicle

My daughter owned this late 2007 Subaru Impreza Hatch, each time I used the car I would indicate to my wife the great safe feel, while this car is slightly heavier on fuel , it is a Worthwhile purchase, we have become the new owners and loving it, Subaru has made huge inroads, focusing on Safety and handling... I am so tempted to purchase a New Forester which my daughter just acquired

Date PurchasedJan 2018

"Very happy/ With many thanks"

Early days, however very happy with the way this car handles the road, a very smooth/safe drive, with full marks 10/10 for all the safety feathers. Lovely comfortable warm leather seats and plenty of leg room with a very attractive, tasteful interior, a nice easy to follow dashboard, well designed. A very reliable small car 9/10.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Almost perfect...

Purchased this car new "MY17" for my wife as we live in the country where roads are average or worse.
It drives great, Handles great and sticks to the road better than most of the racecars I've driven over the years.
For an AWD 4 cylinder, it's fuel usage is great too, we average 6.8l per 100km.
Interior is very modern and not cheap looking like most new cars.
Only things I dislike about it is it's slightly underpowered "it could use another 10kw" however this could be because of the CVT instead of a conventional auto and the auto stop/start, which you can't disable permanently. and I keep forgetting to switch it off.
The eye sight function works a treat. I was sceptical at first but the car spotted a roo before I did so it does the job it's supposed to.
Having the cruise "control", missile lock is a nice touch although ours is missing the FIRE button.. :P

Badge2.0i Premium
Date PurchasedMay 2017

Can’t fault it

Bought 2007 model brand new and was written off 2018. Very sad because replacing it is not easy. Only issue I had was the alternator went at about 7yes old and I probably had about 3-4 batteries in that time. Transmission was a little gutless but you could take a roundabout without thinking, wheel in each corner and sticks like glue to the road. No issues engine wise at all serviced every 6-8 months, had timing belt done at 110000km was a Little pricy $1200+ from memory. Great in the city enough grunt on the freeway I’m reluctant to get anything else

Date PurchasedFeb 2007

A very very good car for the money best snow vehicle

We purchased the manual hatchback last of the series 2016 model. We wanted a car for our frequent trips to the ski resorts. This car was the cheapest AWD vehicle on the Australian market available, at the time. Last year the inevitable happened, we were caught in a snow storm, coloquially referred to by locals as Snowmageddon 2017. I haven't seen a situation like it. There were cars in ditches everywhere. I distinctly recall an X3 attempting to drive forward near Dainers Gap Perisher, and the car moving forward 1 meter and simultaneously sliding sideways 2 meters. Our manual Impreza with it's full time MECHANICAL symmetrical all wheel drive did not slip an inch. I fell in love with this car that day. It got me and my family home safely whilst big 4wds were being retrieved with families on the side of the road watching on in sub zero Blizzard temperatures. This car is fit for purpose. NB If you are after a snow car get the manual it features a permanent mechanical symmetrical AWD system. The auto has an electrical non permanent version from what I understand. Sadly the mid 2016 model was the last of the manual Imprezas. Fuel economy is great, no concerns here! No reliability issues. The autostop/start fuel saving feature can be indecisive at times, but not obtrusive to the positive driving experience. Other positive features, the base model has supremely comfortable seats, the visibility is well above average, lots of deep glass to see outwards. Negatives, the stereo sucks big time. The good news it is not the head unit, but the speakers, they truly are the worst things ever, my sons i20 has much better speakers. If you like listening to tunes I would suggest allowing a little bit of money to replace the speakers and throw in a small amp, this has transformed the sound, making this car a joy to drive. The engine power is underwhelming combined with high gearing makes overtaking a gamble at times. The trade off is good fuel economy. But overall the positives outweigh the negatives. We will keep this car for the kids and run it till it dies.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedMay 2016

Amazing car, almost perfect.

I’ve got to say, this car has everything going for it! The drive is so smooth, the car is flooded with technology & the sound system is brilliant. I chose my 2017 Impreza i-S 2.0 litre based on how great the interior looked, but what I got was even better - the AWD is out of this world! I definitely recommend. The only issues I’ve had is with the infotainment system. The first 6 months it was full of glitches, however that seems to have fixed itself after a few updates.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Perfect Car in any situation...Safe in your Space

Got this Impreza Sports Wagon in January 2016 brand new Pearl White and driving it made a huge difference in any type of weather. It handles nicely on the road, the noise levels are at a minimum. There is one annoying miss with the car as the windshield will pitch a noise when extremely cold and it's a car fail...
You tend to forget about it, as it doesn't happen too often, but is a feature you don't want and I guess happens in most Subarus.
One other nice thing is if something is wrong the car will turn off all unnecessary running parts of the car so you can use the car's power to get it to the dealer/mechanic to look at.
I forgot to tighten the gas cap on my car and the computer system notified me something was wrong, shut down unnecessary systems and I drove it to the dealership where they tightened the gas cap reset the system and probably laughed their butts off.
I love this car and would buy another.

BadgeSports Edition