Subaru Impreza

Subaru Impreza

G5, G3, G4 and S

See the Best Cars in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great car good value.

I bought this impreza top of range in January 2018, now it is the time to put my review with about 20K driven.
It is a well design car easy to handle, only with minor things to improve such as the GPS does not have live camera detection. But overall, I recommend this car if you consider to buy one. My buying experience with the dealer was so bad, the sales person was too aggressive and not polite, but the services department is good and helpful.

Purchased in January 2018 for $30,000.00.

Year2017

Subby Lover

I am so very impressed with my Impreza, I feel the 2lt engine has a great amount of power paired with the CVT it drives perfectly through city traffic and country roads. I am also loving the amount of tech Subaru have packed into this car. When reversing it is nice to have the camera as a second pair of eyes, braking if it detects something and the cross traffic alert is a very handy feature too. I feel so very safe driving this all wheel drive car in this winter weather, the eye sight is the best making it the safest car I have driven .

Purchased in May 2019 at Jarvis Barossa.

Love this car

Purchased my Subaru S in Black at Easter and I'm enjoying the ride. It is a sport model with tight handling slick tyres. Subaru have thought of everything from the leather heated seats to the on board cameras that make it so safe and comfortable to travel both country and city driving. There is a great deal of leg room for the driver and passengers. The technology is first class and beats most other vehicles in this price range. The car is used daily and it has had its first service. My mechanic told me about Subaru and made the recommendation to me for which I am most grateful.

Purchased in April 2019 for $34,040.00.

Year2019

Perfect daily drive

I use my Subaru Impreza for a daily commute of about 50km. The adaptive cruise control makes driving in traffic a breeze, with the car braking and accelerating for me. It is a very comfortable ride and is very efficient for a 2.0L engine. The car has a yearly service schedule completed by Subaru, and has had no issues to date.

Purchased in December 2018 at Subaru Dealers for $26,000.00.

Comfort

High quality, not much power

In typical Subaru Fashion, this car has excellent build quality, feels great through the corners, and has 'enough' power to keep up. Compared to the competition (mazda 3, hundai i30, toyota corolla) this Subaru Impreza shows, what I think is a higher quality build and more deliberate cornering. However, where the car is beat, is the engine. The engine lacks the power of the competition.
Otherwise though, the car was very reliable and worked great as a commuter.

Purchased in June 2018 for $4,500.00.

TransmissionManual
BoughtUsed
Year2006

Average, don't expect much

Fuel economy is poor, and the car runs terribly on 91. Don't even bother with E10. So expect to be paying for premium fuel.
Urban fuel consumption is poor. 10-12l/100. 6.5/100 on the freeway. Subaru's official readings are difficult to match.

Vehicle is extremely lethargic and slow, which is difficult because you don't have the power to overtake on freeways. Not suitable for hilly areas.
Servicing is a rip-off. Apparently you need a tyre rotation every service? First one cost $400+. Not happy.
AWD and handling are good.
Entertainment system doesn't connect at times.
Adaptive cruise is wonderful.

Purchased in May 2018 at Dealer for $29,990.00.

Great car

We bought this as our second car and we love it. Fits our baby seat. Has great features and the seats are really comfortable leather which hug your body, car feels sporty without being a sports car.

Purchased in March 2019.

Great car

Use car daily to work. Had it for 6 months so far no issues. Only need yearly service. Don't really do much off road mostly city driving. Love all the safety features, hazard detection and automatic braking. Connectivity is really smooth and simple. Also has multiple profiles so different family members can use and just put their profile on and sets the car up for you

Purchased in August 2018 at Subaru Dealers for $27,990.00.

I love my Impreza

I have my third Impreza and fourth Subaru. I find the impreza meets all my travel needs. Comfort, safety, reliable and economical. The vehicle is used daiky comuting to jobs collecting kids and shopping

Purchased in September 2018.

Not happy Jan.

Purchased new in 2017, car is now a little under two year old with 17K on the clock. Serviced by selling dealership only. CVT transmission is a lemon. Continually changes up to a higher ratio when you attempt to accelerate, which has a retarding effect on the engine. It is so bad I initially thought the engine was miss firing but after talking to the service manager I was told it is "a characteristic of this type of transmission" and there is no "fix". What a load of bull. I see Subaru USA has acknowledged a problem with this transmission and is offering the 1.5 million Subaru owners an extended warranty in an attempt to head off a class action. Why has Subaru Aust got it's head in the sand, they need to fix the problem, it won't go away. Never again will I purchase a Subaru.

Purchased in April 2017 for $28,000.00.

Year2017

Great car

This car replaces a 5 year old Mitsubishi Lancer which has been faultless since new. The Impreza was bought as my wife’s car and is the top of the range. The selling point for me was the 5 year warranty as per our last car and it is the only small car with heated external mirrors which are important in cold cloudy conditions common where I live. It came with 18 inch rims and low profile tyres which I had replaced with 17’s as I live on a corrugated dirt road. It still has a harsher ride than the Lancer but is quite acceptable. The Impreza has the ‘eyesight’ system which is brilliant. Lane departure, adaptable cruise, excellent gps System which can be voice activated, LED lights which are self levelling and automatic. This car will drive itself on a country road with painted lines on both sides of the road.there are other features too many toname but the best for me is the lights which follow the steering. I live in the ADELAIDE Hills and drive a twisty road twice daily. These lights seem to shine around corners that are 90 degrees. The car is only a few weeks old and the radio is often distorted like a faulty connection. The dealership did an upgrade at first 1000kms check and this has made it worse. I have since found that problem is common and Subaru is trying to develop a fix. My neighbour’s Car has the same problem and hers is 2 yers old. Other aspects of the radio system such as phone, cd’s etc are excellent but I will not be a happy Chappy if mine is still not working after 2 years. The only other aspect of the car that has me worried is the ground clearance o ver drains and gutters, I have scraped the bottom a couple of times on my neighbours drive but there doesn’t seem much to be damaged underneath. The suv version has more clearance but I want a low, safe driving car as we do a lot of long fast country drives.
The all wheel drive system seems faultless. The gearbox is responsive and does not ‘flare’ like the old Lancer. The motor is starting to loosen up and seems to have enough power to cope with most situations but it would go better with the 2.5 when fully loaded. the first time I did a quick trip on loose gravel a bit if rock intruded into the gap between the rear disk and the backing plate which meant a long trip home with a screeching noise . The dealer said he had seen it a couple of times before. Personally I can see no reason for this plate, my other cars don’t have one. seats are heated but I have never used them in the old car. They are very comfortable, switches and instruments are clear and easily accessible and there is more information available than I’ll ever need. It has a Digital speedo as well as the old fashioned round dial and my wife loves this as she can see the speed easily from the passengers seat and stop me speeding.
My wife finds the car easy to drive and park and rear cameras and sensors are a great aid here. If. It lasts us the 5years without a problem I will be very happy. Please fix the radio!

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Love

I bought my Impreza a yr ago, I love my car. The only thing Im concerned about is the speaker, sometimes it gets muffled and I asked at my last (first) service for them to look at it. They said it could be apart of the software and just need an update but it still happens every now and then. I will mention it again at my next service. Other than that, I love this car. Drives beautifully and reminds me of my Honda Civic- I would've have bought another civic except I didn't like the new civic shape.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

2016 MY17 Impreza

I just bought this a few days ago from John McGraths Canberra in great condition and only $18,300.00. While people.complain about the power on these, it is not a WRX so don't expect a race car. It has plenty of power and sits the highway great on cruise control. Full car still smoothly Powers up all hills. The added features for adjusting speed to the car in front is amazing. Would recommend to anyone.

Badge2.0i Premium
Date PurchasedDec 2018

Underperforming but still good value.

We have a 2017 model and the biggest issue we have is that it needs higher octane fuel. We have taken it back 3 times due to uneven acceleration going up the slightest incline . We have solved the problem with using higher octane fuel. It just doesn't run well with regular 91 octane fuel.
The towing capacity is pretty marginal as your not going to tow much more than 500kg after you put passengers in the car. The cargo space is great and with the flat fold seats you can really load it up.
The bluetooth on the head unit can be extremely frustrating. It works 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time you need to turn the car off for a couple of minutes to fully reboot. Seems to be worse with Apple.
The fuel economy is nowhere near what is claimed but thats par for course I think.
We were supplied the Impreza as a work vehicle and it handles OK and the interior is really nice for a car at this price point. In 18 months nothing has failed and it has been perfectly serviceable .

Would I buy one with my own money ? Maybe as there really isn't anything else at this pricepoint with this much space . The previous workcar was the much maligned Holden Cruze and we actually preferred that.

Badge2.0i
BodyWagon
Date PurchasedApr 2017

Subaru Impreza Sport Hatch

Love my Impreza not only does it have all the bells and whistles like sat nav, sunroof, reverse camera, heated leather seats, bluetooth plus lots more it drives like a dream. I feel really safe on the road with the all wheel drive and ABS brakes. Truly the best car I have owned.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Great quality of build

For the price range it is an awesome car. This car is competing with likes of Corolla, Golf and i30.
The Good: It has great build quality and interior feeling. very spacious. lots of space for back seats. full of safety features. great seats. has 3 screens that show all information you like. drives well. high visibility.
The not so good: A bit expensive. the AWD is probably not necessary for Brisbane, but you are paying for it anyway. Aircon is not the quickest to cool down cabin on a sunny day.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Such a nice car to drive, handling is great, seats are comfortable, very spacious for a small car

We have owned the car for around 1.5yrs and have loved it. Roof racks are very handy however we can even fit our stand up paddle boards inside the car.

Very spacious for a small car. Great handling, through the steering wheel you can tell the quality put into manufacturing this car.

BadgeGX
BodyWagon
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJan 2017

Solid, if underwhelming.

This car has been typically reliable, and has strong safety credentials for its time. The interior is a little 'plasticy' but still functional and durable. However, performance-wise it can feel quite lethargic. A 92kw engine coupled to a 4-speed auto and the added weight of AWD will do that. So, you should get a manual version if possible.

Badge2.0i
Date PurchasedMay 2014

Exceptional value car

We purchased new this 2018 i-S hatch in June.
It replaced 3 y.o. Mazda3 GT
It is quieter and better than the 3 in every regard.
Not much slower or thirstier than the 2.5 either.

It's funky design, ultra high resolution graphics screens continue to wow.
Outward vision is exceptional
Super plush ride soaks all the bumps, but still corners like it is on rails!
Looks way more expensive in and out than it is.
No issues, would recommend it and Subaru generally.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Safety and performance

I bought the 2017 Impreza, top of the range sports, after my own vehicle was written off. As my first new car purchase i was nervous about depreciation and a new car loan. Safety was one of my highest corners after experiencing what happens when you are in a car accident. Subaru is a brand that the car wrecker suggested when towing away my old vehicle- he said they never have broken down subarus- they just keep going. Well, since I've got my Impreza I have driven through storms, floods, heat waves and other difficult driving conditions, Subaru is built to handle roads whilst providing passenger and driver comfort and safety. I have 100% confidence in my vehicle and highly recommend others consider buying one.

Engine Size2.5
Date PurchasedMar 2017

Just checked the oil on just purchased 2014 impreza and it shows well anove the fill mark. What dsmage will this cause. Jack

If you have any issues with your infotainment system with the 2017+ models - please message me directly.

I find my 2018 Impreza air con not to be as fast as my previous cars in cooling down the car. Does anyone else have this experience? or is it just me?

Subaru Impreza G5 (Sedan) 2.0i (2016-2019)Subaru Impreza G5 (Sedan) 2.0i Premium (2016-2019)Subaru Impreza G5 (Sedan) 2.0i-L (2016-2019)Subaru Impreza G5 (Sedan) 2.0i-S (2016-2019)Subaru Impreza G5 (Hatchback) 2.0i (2016-2019)Subaru Impreza G5 (Hatchback) 2.0i Premium (2016-2019)Subaru Impreza G5 (Hatchback) 2.0i-L (2016-2019)Subaru Impreza G5 (Hatchback) 2.0i-S (2016-2019)Subaru Impreza G4 (2012-2016)Subaru Impreza G3 (2008-2011)Subaru Impreza S (2000-2007)Subaru Impreza G5 (Hatchback) S-Edition (2018)
CategoryCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars, Hatchbacks and SedansCars, Hatchbacks and SedansCars, Hatchbacks and SedansCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $22,690$26,590$24,790$29,540$22,890$26,790$24,990$29,740$28,890$39,990$24,440$34,750
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Automatic and ManualAutomatic and ManualContinuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy16" Alloy17" Alloy15" Alloy18" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors444455555555
Seats555555555555
Fuel Consumption6.6 L/100km6.6 L/100km6.6 L/100km7.2 L/100km6.6 L/100km6.6 L/100km6.6 L/100km7.2 L/100km6.8 L/100km10.4 L/100km9.3 L/100km7.2 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 50 L50 L50 L50 L50 L50 L50 L50 L55 L60 L50 L50 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L
Max Power115kW @ 6000rpm115kW @ 6000rpm115kW @ 6000rpm115kW @ 6000rpm115kW @ 6000rpm115kW @ 6000rpm115kW @ 6000rpm115kW @ 6000rpm110kW @ 6200rpm195kW @ 6000rpm92kW @ 5600rpm115kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4200rpm343Nm @ 4000rpm184Nm @ 3600rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features
Extra Features
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Seats
  • USB Port
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateNov 2016Nov 2016Nov 2016Nov 2016Nov 2016Nov 2016Nov 2016Nov 2016Jan 2012Jan 2008Jan 2000Jan 2018
Discontinuation dateDec 2016Dec 2011Dec 2007Dec 2018