Toyota HiAce

Toyota HiAce

H200.II, H100.I, H100.II and H200.I

Great campervan conversion

I live in a hiace commuter which I have converted into a campervan which has gone without a hitch over the last 240,000km. I have friends who have driven more than 1million km in their 90'e hiaces (mine is a 2000 model). The fuel economy is not amazing compared to brand new Mercedes sprinter vans and ivecos which get upwards of 1000km per tank, but the money saved on servicing a Toyota instead of a European car has made owning this van even more worth it. Definitely recommend a hiace commuter for vanlife! You won't regret it.

Purchased in July 2017 for $7,000.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

This van is a Lemon

I purchased this van at 195,000km and I have now done just over 200,000km. I have spent nearly $10,000 on repairs. ZL 3.0 diesel.
DPF filter removal $1500.00, High pressure fuel pump and fuel injectors $4800.00. Numerous other repairs. I have lot faith in the old reliable Hiace and I am looking to get rid of this vehicle.
This is a work vehicle for my business and has had too much time off the road. I know it's done the kms but too many problems.
My mechanic says he has other clients that have had issues with theirs too.

Purchased in September 2015 for $18,500.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Love the van.

I , like a previous reviewer, am concerned about the way Hiace performs in high winds, is there anything that can be done, I'm a 71 yr old grey nomad , and I'm very scared at times.
I get this serviced every time it's due, it's a great vehicle..
It had 390,00 on the clock when I bought it June 2017, and I have done 20, 000 so far.
It's easy to drive, except for windy conditions.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Really scary and uncomfortable

Had to use this when Ford Transit Custom was being serviced. Only ok for short drivers, cabin space - headroom and foot space very cramped, moves around heaps - in a scary way in the wind. In the wet the steering is where you hope to go - you might go somewhere else though. Its just bad. Boss likes reliability but transit has 300,000km with no problems. Hiace also uses far more fuel.

Engine Size0
Date PurchasedOct 2016

Fantastic Van - Perfect for our needs!

Bought the van a year ago had 245,000 on the clock. Stripped it out and converted it into a campervan. Runs a treat and have already racked up 30,000km. Still runs exactly how I bought it, no dramas! Would recommend it to anyone looking to buy one for either work or leisure.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Most uncomfortable van on the market

My employer changed my van from a Renault traffic to a brand new Hiace. Now I want to get a different job as I have a 1 hr commute. It’s hard to get in and out off. It’s the most uncomfortable van. Noisy, it sounds like a tractor. I feel so unsafe, I am squashed into the front bumper.
I have no room for anything in the cab.
It’s not very economical either. It’s like an example of how not to make a van.
Worst van I’ve ever had

BadgeSuper GL
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Perfect for our work!

When looking around we needed a van that fit our medium sized containers and found at the dealer this was the best option. Many years later we have only had to get a few things fixed and services come back good almos all the time. The only small issue is we had to replace the side sliding door handle twice but we do use it a lot!

Engine Size2.5L Turbo
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Very reliable

I have had my late 2005 LWB Hiace for almost three years now and all I can say is it is very reliable, functional and basic. My mechanic steered me towards the Japanese products and away from the EU Vans, I must say I think he was right after reading the reviews of Fiat and Renault. Such a shame as these vans look great on spec and drive well on test. Yes I am looking for something more comfortable and bigger than my HiAce.
My only gripe is, the Toyota seats are garbage for any distance work and the cab over design is very difficult to gain entry and provides a poor driver ride experience.
Toyota please lift your game and take a good look at the Euro style forward engine and good comfortable seating (not everyone fits the 75Kg International driver mould nor do Australian driver just drive in the city, Try driving one of your vans on the freeway for 6 hours or more.
Also your diesel engine is somewhat underpowered for its size and lacks in fuel efficiency.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Fantastic back space runs bad on gas

The space in the back of this van is great for all my gear but having to travel far uses a lot more gas than I expected and at one stage out wayed my traveling expenses. It still runs but have had multiple expensive services to keep it running but over all would say it's ok

Engine Size3.0L Turbo
Date PurchasedMay 2001

Great work companion!

Runs like a clock, shifts like a dream! Very basic interior but has everything u ever need. Got it brand new 2 years ago. Has done nearly 50k without any issue whatsoever! Drive around Sydney everyday, always carry heavy load for work. Petrol auto 12.6L/100km. Cost a bit more to run than the diesel but also more refined. A very satisfied purchase! A very reliable workhorse!

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Decent van for the price

I have a 2016 Hiace LWB van, its been nothing but reliable. Not a single problem, noise or concern.
I've just clocked up 30 000km in the first year and Im happy.
Rides well - considering its a commercial* mines always loaded up as its a work van.
I have the petrol auto model. Auto is the smooth and it has plenty of power.
Fuel usage is good, not great but it does carry a lot in the back.

It was purchased form Grand Motors Toyota. The salesman was super easy, didn't push all the extras on me.

Overall, very happy with my Toyota.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Perfect for Van Rental

Good Torquey diesel Van. Untouchable reliability track record. Vast, versatile load area.Great visibility.The Toyota Hiace van with a Sunliner conversion delivers all of that. The fit out is of high quality and all the safety features are there.

CONS:
• Age is starting to show - inside and out.
• Not the easiest to climb in and out.
• Cab forward layout means more engine noise creeps in.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Travellers Companion

My 2003 Toyota Commuter is the ideal vehicle for minimalistic travel. I have converted it to having a double bed (convertible to sears), fridge and sink ideal for road tripping or festival stays.
The van runs fairly well, but does experience some technical failures on ignition; you just have to get the right knack to overcome this.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

The the vans from GoGet - awesome vehicle

I don't own a HiAce, but I one at least once a month through GoGet. Mostly it's to transport stuff from Ikea, but last month I moved house and it was a lifesaver. I was only moving from one sharehouse to another, so it wasn't a full house worth of stuff, but it fit everything that I needed to move.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Living the dream

I wanted a vehicle that I could both drive around everyday and lock in my garage at night as well as go away in it on weekends and for longer holidays and for it to be my accommodation. The Toyota Hiace van with a Sunliner conversion delivers all of that. The fit out is of high quality and all the safety features are there. You can add some optional extras. I added a bull bar, a shower head to plug into the water tank and an annex to throw over the tail gate.

Car it is good just for 5 years rest is just waste money

Drives ok but seat are crap dash is plastic not conformable to drive.
Nothing interesting in it like old type car very easy to ride off no protection.
I spent $7000 on it now engine problem Dam this Lemon engine blown up at 200k.
Do not get gas which is so rubbish and cost you a lot of money for maintenance.
I am telling you this car use a lot of fuel it is Big Fuel Sucker.
Do not forget to have contract 3 time in week to the Petrol Station.
I want to send my car to junk yard soon : (

Date PurchasedOct 2012

Great if you're a gymnast

Toyota reliable of course, however you may need to take some lessons in gymnastics to prepare yourself to get in and out of the seat, there is a step but I’m thinking that might be for a miniature chihuahua to get in and out, so apart from the ridiculous entry and the uncomfortable and stiff suspension that jars your body it’s ok.

Date PurchasedMay 2009

Frontline pop top campervan

Converted to a campervan by Frontline Ballina in 2013 this is a very low cost for travelling at 10 litres per 100klm 2.7 litre petrol 5 forward gears.
The pop top being very convenient. A very sturdy vehicle as being a Toyota we have had no issues with the vehicle runs very quiet and the inside instruments are all up to date eith the modern car.
Very pleased.

Date PurchasedJul 2009

Toyota V VW customer care and service.

I have previously written reviews for a series of VW Vans bought new, a 2000 Caravelle and a 2010 Multivan. Both had significant problems, the 2000 model Auto failure and others with VW not interested in supporting their product, a $6000 repair. This is reflected in the value of these vans now 60 k + new to a few thousand now. Multivan problems and arguments instead of any assistance from VW.
So I swapped to a far less comfortable but very well considered Hi Ace Van in 2012. It s now outside its warranty but recently Toyota found potential problems with the auto transmission, and simply fixed them at no expense. They send a person out to service the vehicle at my office at a very reasonable rate. So although it does not sit the road as well as the VW and its not as comfortable, its an incredibly reliable vehicle that costs considerably less all round.Be great if they imported the Japanese people carrier versions, they would definitely give VW a serious contender then.

Date PurchasedMar 2012

Used Army Maxi Taxi diesel manual 1993 still going

I am an electrical contractor and purchased my olive drab (YUCK) coloured Hiace Commuter bus in 1997 from the Army. Had sixty five thousand kilometers and smoked a bit and was a late 1993 model. Had been for sale for three months with three others with no takers (colour was the problem the dealer said). Fifteen grand later and a roof rack, cargo barrier and the seats removed all included with the price and I was in business. To say I thrash this car in mileage is an understatement. 100 km average a day 6 days a week. Religiously kept timing belts and maintenance done. 6000 km between services but check the oil once a week as the oil goes claggy and suddenly uses oil after 3000km between services if not topped up to just over the full mark on the dipstick. At 250 thousand I was told a new timing belt mounting plate, timing belt kit, water pump, radiator and radiator hoses had to be done if I wanted it to last over half a million klicks. Clutch and aircon replaced too during it long life. Owes me nothing really if calculated over 23 years $8000.00 in maintenance excluding tyres and basic service. Will last me out. Well done Toyota. Only buy Toyota if you thrash things but maintenance is essential. PS always use a genuine Toyota thermostat. Take care.

Date PurchasedMar 1997