Toyota HiAce

Toyota HiAce

H200.II, H100.I, H100.II and H200.I

See the Best Vans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

300,000 kms and Still Going Strong!

I have just purchased a 1999 Toyota HiAce long wheel based commuter van and am thrilled with it.
These vans are highly desired as reliable campervans that can clock up hundreds of thousands of kms. Mine has a slightly imperfect body, but is about to be fully restored. However, it is the commercial engines that are so highly desirable in the 1990s models of the Toyota HiAce that make them so damned hard to get hold of.
Mine drives and handles very well. Though it lacks the amazingly comfortable suspension seats of the latest Mercedes Sprinter I also drove as a hired campervan recently, given the HiAce's age, ease of service and parts, even in remote locations, as well as the much smaller price tag, the choice is a no brainer to me at least!
The mechanic who has worked on mine for at least 7 of its last years on the road said only today he also services one that has clocked up over 800 kms and is still going strong on its original motor!
The Toyota HiAce long wheel base vans also fit a conventional car parking space, where the long wheel based Sprinters necessitate a bus park by their 23 foot nature!
As long as a HiAce is regularly serviced and well maintained, it may become one of the "million milers" that have become legendary amongst the camper van community.
Highly recommend!

Purchased in August 2019.

Year1999

The ride in a 2017 Hiace like a bronco

I am a tradie who has plenty in the back of this fairly new Hiace ( 2017 ) , I have asked the official toyota service dept if there is something wrong with the suspension . Im told it all checks out and is fine .... I drive the Adelaide roads all day and it feels like a motocross track unless Im on a very new freeway type of road, yes we have a couple of these roads here but the normal roads are not helping my plight . Every bump , every imperfection in the bitumen goes through the van like Í'm on solid rubber tyres . They specify 48psi in the tyres , forget that for a start if you run 48 prepare for a WORSE than I'm describing . I run 38psi and it may help. Pedders say they can upgrade the suspension for $1000 but I dont think it will help with the comfort . The bone rattler may be ok with just ping-pong balls in the back. I am trading it for a cab chassis .

Purchased in June 2017 for $29,000.00.

Year2017

Horrendous servicing costs

2008 purchased with 160,000km 2014

Had 10k spent over and above normal items like batteries oil tyres and cambelts.

$1000 DPF remove

Brake cables x3 csnt tell which one(s) syretched about $700
Injector seals replaced again $400
Reprogram for beyter performance $1000
Headlights need refinishing $300
Leak in cooling system Toyota couldn't find.

Nightmare.

Purchased in April 2014 for $24,000.00.

Year2008

Great campervan conversion

I live in a hiace commuter which I have converted into a campervan which has gone without a hitch over the last 240,000km. I have friends who have driven more than 1million km in their 90'e hiaces (mine is a 2000 model). The fuel economy is not amazing compared to brand new Mercedes sprinter vans and ivecos which get upwards of 1000km per tank, but the money saved on servicing a Toyota instead of a European car has made owning this van even more worth it. Definitely recommend a hiace commuter for vanlife! You won't regret it.

Purchased in July 2017 for $7,000.00.

Year2000

This van is a Lemon

I purchased this van at 195,000km and I have now done just over 200,000km. I have spent nearly $10,000 on repairs. ZL 3.0 diesel.
DPF filter removal $1500.00, High pressure fuel pump and fuel injectors $4800.00. Numerous other repairs. I have lot faith in the old reliable Hiace and I am looking to get rid of this vehicle.
This is a work vehicle for my business and has had too much time off the road. I know it's done the kms but too many problems.
My mechanic says he has other clients that have had issues with theirs too.

Purchased in September 2015 for $18,500.00.

Year2008

Love the van.

I , like a previous reviewer, am concerned about the way Hiace performs in high winds, is there anything that can be done, I'm a 71 yr old grey nomad , and I'm very scared at times.
I get this serviced every time it's due, it's a great vehicle..
It had 390,00 on the clock when I bought it June 2017, and I have done 20, 000 so far.
It's easy to drive, except for windy conditions.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Really scary and uncomfortable

Had to use this when Ford Transit Custom was being serviced. Only ok for short drivers, cabin space - headroom and foot space very cramped, moves around heaps - in a scary way in the wind. In the wet the steering is where you hope to go - you might go somewhere else though. Its just bad. Boss likes reliability but transit has 300,000km with no problems. Hiace also uses far more fuel.

Engine Size0
Date PurchasedOct 2016

Fantastic Van - Perfect for our needs!

Bought the van a year ago had 245,000 on the clock. Stripped it out and converted it into a campervan. Runs a treat and have already racked up 30,000km. Still runs exactly how I bought it, no dramas! Would recommend it to anyone looking to buy one for either work or leisure.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Most uncomfortable van on the market

My employer changed my van from a Renault traffic to a brand new Hiace. Now I want to get a different job as I have a 1 hr commute. It’s hard to get in and out off. It’s the most uncomfortable van. Noisy, it sounds like a tractor. I feel so unsafe, I am squashed into the front bumper.
I have no room for anything in the cab.
It’s not very economical either. It’s like an example of how not to make a van.
Worst van I’ve ever had

BadgeSuper GL
WheelbaseSuper Long
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Perfect for our work!

When looking around we needed a van that fit our medium sized containers and found at the dealer this was the best option. Many years later we have only had to get a few things fixed and services come back good almos all the time. The only small issue is we had to replace the side sliding door handle twice but we do use it a lot!

Engine Size2.5L Turbo
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Very reliable

I have had my late 2005 LWB Hiace for almost three years now and all I can say is it is very reliable, functional and basic. My mechanic steered me towards the Japanese products and away from the EU Vans, I must say I think he was right after reading the reviews of Fiat and Renault. Such a shame as these vans look great on spec and drive well on test. Yes I am looking for something more comfortable and bigger than my HiAce.
My only gripe is, the Toyota seats are garbage for any distance work and the cab over design is very difficult to gain entry and provides a poor driver ride experience.
Toyota please lift your game and take a good look at the Euro style forward engine and good comfortable seating (not everyone fits the 75Kg International driver mould nor do Australian driver just drive in the city, Try driving one of your vans on the freeway for 6 hours or more.
Also your diesel engine is somewhat underpowered for its size and lacks in fuel efficiency.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Fantastic back space runs bad on gas

The space in the back of this van is great for all my gear but having to travel far uses a lot more gas than I expected and at one stage out wayed my traveling expenses. It still runs but have had multiple expensive services to keep it running but over all would say it's ok

WheelbaseSuper Long
Engine Size3.0L Turbo
Date PurchasedMay 2001

Great work companion!

Runs like a clock, shifts like a dream! Very basic interior but has everything u ever need. Got it brand new 2 years ago. Has done nearly 50k without any issue whatsoever! Drive around Sydney everyday, always carry heavy load for work. Petrol auto 12.6L/100km. Cost a bit more to run than the diesel but also more refined. A very satisfied purchase! A very reliable workhorse!

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Decent van for the price

I have a 2016 Hiace LWB van, its been nothing but reliable. Not a single problem, noise or concern.
I've just clocked up 30 000km in the first year and Im happy.
Rides well - considering its a commercial* mines always loaded up as its a work van.
I have the petrol auto model. Auto is the smooth and it has plenty of power.
Fuel usage is good, not great but it does carry a lot in the back.

It was purchased form Grand Motors Toyota. The salesman was super easy, didn't push all the extras on me.

Overall, very happy with my Toyota.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Perfect for Van Rental

Good Torquey diesel Van. Untouchable reliability track record. Vast, versatile load area.Great visibility.The Toyota Hiace van with a Sunliner conversion delivers all of that. The fit out is of high quality and all the safety features are there.

CONS:
• Age is starting to show - inside and out.
• Not the easiest to climb in and out.
• Cab forward layout means more engine noise creeps in.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Travellers Companion

My 2003 Toyota Commuter is the ideal vehicle for minimalistic travel. I have converted it to having a double bed (convertible to sears), fridge and sink ideal for road tripping or festival stays.
The van runs fairly well, but does experience some technical failures on ignition; you just have to get the right knack to overcome this.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

The the vans from GoGet - awesome vehicle

I don't own a HiAce, but I one at least once a month through GoGet. Mostly it's to transport stuff from Ikea, but last month I moved house and it was a lifesaver. I was only moving from one sharehouse to another, so it wasn't a full house worth of stuff, but it fit everything that I needed to move.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Living the dream

I wanted a vehicle that I could both drive around everyday and lock in my garage at night as well as go away in it on weekends and for longer holidays and for it to be my accommodation. The Toyota Hiace van with a Sunliner conversion delivers all of that. The fit out is of high quality and all the safety features are there. You can add some optional extras. I added a bull bar, a shower head to plug into the water tank and an annex to throw over the tail gate.

Car it is good just for 5 years rest is just waste money

Drives ok but seat are crap dash is plastic not conformable to drive.
Nothing interesting in it like old type car very easy to ride off no protection.
I spent $7000 on it now engine problem Dam this Lemon engine blown up at 200k.
Do not get gas which is so rubbish and cost you a lot of money for maintenance.
I am telling you this car use a lot of fuel it is Big Fuel Sucker.
Do not forget to have contract 3 time in week to the Petrol Station.
I want to send my car to junk yard soon : (

Date PurchasedOct 2012

Great if you're a gymnast

Toyota reliable of course, however you may need to take some lessons in gymnastics to prepare yourself to get in and out of the seat, there is a step but I’m thinking that might be for a miniature chihuahua to get in and out, so apart from the ridiculous entry and the uncomfortable and stiff suspension that jars your body it’s ok.

Date PurchasedMay 2009