Mk.5, Mk.6, Mk.7, Mk7.5
See the Best Cars in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Volkswagen

• Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

A big failure

The A/C system is made in Japan by denso and this is the only good thing in this car, but the rest of thing easy to break toy plastic cooling system pipes all plastic after a few years will start cracking, it's money pit.

moggy
moggyPerth, WA

Delightful Drive

Purchased in July 2017 at John Hughes Car Sales for $40,551.00.

Bring on deregulation!
Bring on deregulation!South East Queensland, QLD

Exactly the right car for me.

I'm on my third Golf Wagon now. Perfect for me because it has the space for dogs, surfboards etc. without the cost of an SUV. It's comfortable and quiet to drive, still fits in a small car space and has the safety features I wanted.

First two models were Diesel's and awesome.on fuel efficiency. The 2020 models only come now as petrol which doesn't get the mileage. Bring on a hybrid electric for the next one!

As with all new cars, some features like the sunroof might appeal to a few but I'd rather pay less and go without!

Purchased in August 2020 for $40,000.00.

Mk7 golf

Had the transmission done 7 gears 2 clutch’s a major service (timing belt brakes ) that’s it in 4 years still love it and I’ll keep it for a while yet

Purchased in April 2017 for $18,000.00.

Bill
BillMelbourne

My TDI is a great little car.

Purchased in November 2019 for $14,000.00.

Ocean
OceanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great to drive but going wrong a lot and hard to repair yourself

Purchased in May 2018 for $10,000.00.

Beardy Bonce
Beardy BonceSydney, NSW

Performance and practicality ...love it

Bought privately in Jan 2020 when the car was c 18 mths old.
This is primarily a commuter car (c40 kms per day during the week) with a bit more fun and spirited driving at the weekends. The service intervals are annually ( just had the 3 year service completed)...but i intend to get an interim oil change at the 6 month mark.
OEM Bridgestone tyres lasted 34000kms.
Ive had the infotainment screen replaced under warranty without any fuss from the dealer.
The stop/start system is a bit hit and miss...sometimes it works , sometimes not....but this seems to be a common issue across VW group cars with this emission reducing function.
After owning the car for a year, it still makes me smile :)

Purchased in January 2020 at private purchase for $26,500.00.

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Jessica Ishak
Jessica Ishak Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Unreliable car

Purchased in December 2019.

TransmissionAutomatic
G K.
G K.Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Problems since day 2, nearly three years later, finally fixed them all and the are not honoring any additional warranty

Purchased in March 2019.

Roy
RoyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Rubbish don’t bother

Bought the car brand new with 3 yrs warranty, a couple months after warranty finished with only 20,000km on the clock error msg pops up on dash which a a recognised known problem with VW company.
No offer of goodwill to fix at all. Would expect almost brand new car wouldnt start having these issues.
May opt out and sell while still early but won’t be going for VW next

Purchased in February 2017 at Solitaire Hawthorn .

rotor4
rotor4Sydney, NSW

Good all-rounder

I needed a small cheap vehicle just for a run around & came across a low klm 2003 Golf GTI, although their pretty basic & uncomplicated by today's standards that appealed to me anyway.Once seated & underway their comfortable they have the important driver safety features. Also I found it's easy to service & the parts are cheap & plentiful, & driven on road either suburban or open road it has good torque handles/brakes well & so easy to drive,it's every thing I require in a small hatch.

Purchased in October 2019 for $2,000.00.

Johnny
JohnnyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

The best all-rounder hatch on the market.

Purchased in March 2018 for $16,000.00.

Find out how Volkswagen Golf compares to other Cars

Don't buy one!!!!!, users oil and I have had to replace the gearbox at 43000kms @ $3500 factory service people useless

usage second car
Daily usage
seviced as per log book
not happy Jan, what a shame it is an expensive flop with poor warranty and back up service. this is my 4th vw , no more :(

Purchased in June 2014 for $33,000.00.

John J.
John J.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Best car ever owned

Purchased in September 2019.

Sammy32
Sammy32South East Queensland, QLD

Car is decent however Volkswagen Customer Service is extremely poor

Purchased in January 2017.

Richard mc
Richard mcasked
Golf Mk.7 Hatchback 90TSI (2013-2015)

Anyone had issues with the cars stop/start system. We have an error message appearing on the dash, the car starts shuddering and will eventually go into limp mode. It's going in for a scheduled service so I'm hoping it's an easy fix and not too expensive. We've had endless issues with this car over the years and been told we've just been unlucky that we've bought one of the dud ones! And what's with the oil usage?!!

Anthony B.
Anthony B.

No problem with my mk7 and it doesn’t ever use oil it’s done 132k must of got a good one and just had a major service done

Rabi
Rabiasked
Golf Mk.7 Hatchback 103TSI (2013-2015)

What should I pay for a VII-MY14 Golf (highline), built 2013, Odometer 88,000 km

Justin
Justin

I’ve just paid $17999 with 81,000 km

Karen B.
Karen B.asked
Golf Mk.7 (2013-2017)

I purchased my Golf SE mk7 over 2 years ago. The infotainment system stopped working 29th June2020 my warranty ran out on 4th July, problem was I was in lock down in Spain due to Corona virus and could not get a ferry crossing until 15th July. I called Volswagon in Vera Spain and earliest appointment was 10th July. They did the second service, 18000 miles on clock and investigated infotainment system. Paid 93 euros for service and was given a quote for 1,985 euros to replace the broken system as it was over the warranty. I called the volkswagen dealer where I bought the car they said to take it to my local dealer in Shrewsbury which I did as it needed its first mot. They agreed it was broken and needed replacing. Even though it was impossible to get back before the warranty expired the would only give me 20% off the bill and I would have to pay £1600 to have it replaced. Do u think this is fair?

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Compare all 21 Volkswagen Golf
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and WagonsCars and WagonsCars and Wagons
Starting Price $38,990$38,490$31,690$35,750
TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselPetrolPetrol
Wheels17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy
Fuel Consumption5 L/100km5 L/100km5.6 L/100km6.8 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 50 L50 L50 L55 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.04 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.8L
Max Power110kW @ 4000rpm110kW @ 4000rpm110kW @ 6000rpm132kW @ 6200rpm
Max Torque340Nm @ 1750-3000rpm340Nm @ 1750-3000rpm250Nm @ 1500-3500rpm280Nm @ 1350-4500rpm
Country of ManufactureGermanyGermanyGermanyGermany
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017