The TSI 1.4litre manual Golf 2010 brought brand new - complete engine failure in Feb 2019

Up until 7 Jan 2019 I loved this car - no problem whatsoever. I got it brand new in 2010 thinking a Golf would stand the test of time. I had it serviced regularly and now at 80,000 kms the compression has gone in one of the cylinders. The car has become worth $0 overnight. The fuel consumption went from 6l/100kms to 10l/100kms. To investigate the problem further will now cost more than the car is worth at trade in. Two mechanics have verified this including a VW dealer. I've been quoted up to $8000 to strip the engine to investigate the problem and then rebuild the engine. And then it will be the cost to fix whatever they find. VW head office told me I must be prepared to pay all the expense and there is a 50/50 chance they will assist me - whatever 'assist me' means. This is a very high risk to take. I am now investigating if there is any action that can be taken further via the ACCC. The car now cannot be driven and so after 9 years of what is meant to be a TRUSTWORTHY and RELIABLE brand I'm left with something that the wreckers might give me $300. This situation is totally unacceptable and unfair.

Purchased for $38,000.00.

Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort
Further to this: Under Australian consumer law any product, including vehicles are expected to last the reasonable life time for that type of product.

A bit below expectations for a 2018 car

Hired the new Golf & was all set to enjoy.

As it turned out, it was sluggish & felt quite underpowered. Once the turbo kicked in (which took quite a while compared to BMW turbo’s) it went from sluggish to barely ok. Had enough to get going but was working/reving so had.

The engine never felt happy.

I believe a 1.6 liter non turbo would be more pleasant and effective.

Nice shape.
Few too many unnecessary buttons, like ‘turn on cruise control’, then ‘set speed’. In other cars as soon as you touch the button to set speed, the cruise control just simply sets the speed (you do not have to tell it to turn on first).

Economy was good, do a plus there. I’d prefer less economy & more enjoyable drive however.

Badge103TSI Highline
Date PurchasedDec 2018

Golf VII 1.2 TSI 110CV

I purchased this 110CV revision of the 1.2 TSI petrol engine with a special summer promotion in Sweden offering ACC, the multifunctional steering wheel, carplay, etc. No extras except metal paint. The car has turned out very good in many regards. First, it drives fantastically well on city drive and on highways. On motorways with ACC i can get very low consumption figures like 4.8L/100km. I made a long distance autobahn trip over 1000km on one day, with maintained fast speeds in the Autobahn and the average consumption was 5.4l/100km which is just awesome. Not so good is the consumption in city drive with start stop, easily reaching the 10l/100km in shorter trips. On average 7.5l/100km with a LOT of city traffic. Space is awesome, comfortable, best boot in the category (compared to the Volvo V40 it is huge). Build quality is great out of the shop, but it gets old fast. I had a series of small problems. The biggest one was seriously warped disk brakes after only 3000km, They replaced them under warranty. They are warped again, and no, i am not driving like a madman. I guess it has something to do with the cold winters in sweden, and maybe cold water splashing on them or something. Another issue was a broken power window mechanism. And two times the ACC radar sensor got misaligned. Also I feel all the rubber seals in the doors tend to loose its noise cancelling effect and the satisfying door closing noise tends to disappear after a while. The engine is great, although sometimes it will struggle while reversing on a back or stuff like that and your clutch might suffer. Compared to the 1.0 three cylinder it feels more underpowerd, less torque, but nicer and softer in start and stop. Pretty good, practical, solid and nice looking car... just wonder about the long term reliability of components. Would buy again in a blink.

BadgeEdition
Engine Size1.2
Date PurchasedOct 2015

My first VW Golf

I have been the owner of a golf comfortline since July and I must say it’s just a beautiful car. I have had a Mazda 3 and a Subaru Impreza in the past but the golf outdoes these 2 cars easily. The interior is a step up I feel from my past 2 cars although I have had manuals all my life so getting use to an automatic has been interesting. It drives lovely and super impressed with it.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Sporty quick and fun

Bought brand new, I have modified it freely and I truly love the performance of this car, added features leather seats sun roof premium sounds system all worth the extra I paid.
Bought in black is my only downfall it is hard to keep clean but otherwise this car has been a great investment tbh

Date PurchasedMay 2017

The perfect little hatch

After some time now with our Mk6 Gti Golf with 6spd DSG we have come to the conclusion it is a brilliant small hatch and one of the most rewarding cars out there for a very reasonable price.

From commuting to work daily, grocery shopping or 800klm roadtrips doesnt matter what it is, the Golf just does the job easily. We have owned a Mazda 3 and a Corolla over the years and the Golf is by far the much better car for overall quality and refinement, not to mention the comfort. Surprisingly for a small car, adults can actually sit in the back in comfort with more than adequate head and legroom.

As far as fuel consumption, our real world figures average 8-9L/100klm (usually sits around 8.5) doing a 50min each way city commute daily in heavy traffic. Once on the hwy the fuel consumption varies from high 6's to 7L/100klm

We purchased this 2nd hand from the original owners some time ago, and have not had one issue. It did have full service history which is essential.

These seem to have a bad reputation for poor reliability and expensive repair bills and while things can go wrong with any car it pays to keep up the maintenance. If you neglect the servicing then it is at your own risk. VW service depts can be quite expensive so for servicing it is worthwhile checking out a local Euro car specialists as they are more likely to charge reasonable prices.

The main thing that can go wrong with these is the DSG gearbox. It is essential that it is serviced as scheduled which is every 60,000klm or more frequently in stop start city driving as we do.

As far as a fun, exciting to drive allrounder then you cant go past one of these, they are especially great value for money if you can find a very well looked after model with low klms as we did.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

A quality car in almost every way

I purchased my Golf 7 (a 103TSI Highline) second hand in a private sale. It was still under warranty at the time, although had done a fair few kilometers. It did need new clutch packs for the DSG, which were replaced under warranty, and now over 2 years later it still drives absolutely brilliantly. I have now covered 90000kms, and everything still works perfectly, it rides and drives lovely, nothing squeaks or rattles, basically it still looks almost brand new. Compared to other small cars the Golf really does feel premium; and the way it drives supports that. It's also great on fuel (as low as 4.5l/100km on highway trips), it's quiet, comfortable, and has lots of handy gadgets and driving aids (such as Adaptive Cruise Control and self parking). It would have rated a 5 if only the servicing costs were a bit more competitive, as they can be a but pricey compared to a Corolla or Astra.

Badge103TSI Highline
Date PurchasedSep 2016

Wish i bought a Toyota

I use my gti mk7 as a everyday car with modifications and iv been having issues not with my sport modifications but with simple yet expensive standard features such as corner light sensors and cruise control systems. The car just doesn't feel like a high end car after 1 yr. Feels like a old abused car although i take care of it and get it serviced. Wish i had bought a Toyota.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Das Auto

I have had a Golf 7 and now the 7.5, both in Comfortline and it is without a doubt quieter, more refined, more economical (720kms on one fill city and highway driving) more practical and better finished than any other hatchback in this class. The Honda Civic, well the design is not everyone's cup of tea and when I got in the back, I hit my head because of the sloping roofline. The Mazda 3 is very popular, but now old technology with the new model just around the corner, the i30 is nice but the materials inside and the drivetrain are nowhere near the Golf Standard, let's not even mention the Astra (with low res screen and no features), the Focus (with previous version transmission issues and subsequent Class Action), the new Corolla (with the smallest boot in the class) or anything else you'd like to mention.
When the new Golf 8 comes out in late 2019, it will undoubtably again be hard to beat in those departments against the competition. Having said that, I am absolutely appalled by the complete disregard for the environment incl. the criminal attitude in what can only be described as the worst corporate management team decision that we all know as 'Dieselgate' and the subsequent massive losses VW owners around the world face when selling their cars; the complete arrogance and denial by everyone at the top at Head Office makes my blood boil.
With the economy of the 1.4 Turbocharged engine, the power in the lower gears and the upcoming Hybrid models in 2019/20, there is no need for DIESEL anyway.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Great car !

Very impressed and this is such a great car to drive around especially the long trips I usually take! I was a little unsure with getting VW but was defiantly worth it !! Would purchase this car again if i had to. such an awesome little car to get around.

Badge103TDI Comfortline
Date PurchasedJan 2014

Great car but needs better QC

MK7 GTI owner, best hatchrocket ever driven, slick design and beautiful interior. However, continuously rattling keep bothers me so now I'm switch to a higher level brand than VW, the engine mount needed strengthen, it vibrates in an abnormal way under hard acceleration which is what this car designed for.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

My first German vehicle and I’m VERY impressed

I have a Trendline Manual with Driver Assist Package. If I could get a manual further up the range I would have gone with that.

The driver assist packages adds so much for such a small outlay and greatly improves the driving experience with all the technology it adds.

Compared to other hatchbacks in its class, the Gold was much more refined drive and all the touch points in the vehicle felt better than a Japanese or Korean made vehicle.

It is my daily driver to work and play and I do about 1,000km a month. I am easily able to achieve 6.0L per 100km in sedate city driving and on a flat freeway that drops into the high 4.0s easily. It has just passed 4,000km and i’m about a quarter into my fifth tank of fuel. It is hugely economical.

The engine feels powerful and punchy combined with the ability to choose extra driving modes from the assist package, I have never once felt it being under powered.

The interior space is great in the front and rear for passengers and the seats fold flat revealing a huge cargo area.

I definitely recommend the Golf if you are looking for a hatch.

BadgeTrendline
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Great little car.

I bought my Golf 2 years ago and although I've had to spend money on it to fix a few things like air-conditioning and hood lining which I knew about when buying, it really has been a great car. I have the GL 2 Litre 5 speed manual model, it has plenty of power, corners well through the Adelaide Hills. I added a towbar and have been able to tow my 6x4 trailer with half a ton of firewood no worries. One thing in its favour is the previous 2 owners kept up all the scheduled servicing so this would have helped a lot. I use 95 octane fuel and I get approximately 630kms to the tank, no bad for a 20 year old car!!

BadgeGL
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Grrrreat!

Upgraded from a 2016 Polo GTI to the Grid edition of the R (alacantra seats, analog dash) and I am very impressed. Much more space than the Polo, especially in the boot, and a real pleasure to drive. Very good performance yet can be tamed to be a comfortable commuter. I also got the driver assist pack and the sunroof, which both enhance the driving experience greatly. Only 1500 kms on the clock, so just broken in, but so far so good!

BadgeR
Date PurchasedSep 2018

LOVE my Golf!!

I have had my Golf for about six months now and I love it! Its attractive, drives beautifully, and is super comfortable. I had originally driven a work GTi but could only afford the base TSI for my personal purchase, but I haven't been disappointed. It lacks a bit of a the grunt of the GTi, but for someone like me who is mostly doing the commute in traffic, that doesn't matter at all.

The CarPlay can be a bit buggy, but I'm hoping this will fix with a future Apple iOS update down the track.

Can recommend the Golf!

Badge110 TSI
Engine Size1.6
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Love it little zippy r32

Always been skeptical of vws due to bad reviews from others. However I love my little hatch it's a powerful zippy bug, put your foot down and this thing roars! Keep the services up to date and up should have no issues. Dsg gearbox needs to be serviced every 60,000 kms which is a headache, but great car.

BadgeR32
Engine Size3.2
Date PurchasedSep 2018

Terrible!

Had this car for 6 months and the gearbox started to shudder going between 1-2 gears. The dual clutch system was diagnosed to be faulty and was quoted 5k to fix!! Also blew a lot of oil from the turbo! Would never buy from Volkswagen again as they refused to fix either of the problems!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great little car

It goes like a bat outta hell, spacious, smooth ride. Reliable, and stylish. was a brilliant car to learn it, was very easy to drive and easy to control. Great electronics system through the car, air con system could be a bit better and a way to get it into the backseat is needed.

BadgeGTD
Engine Size1.6
Date PurchasedMar 2018

GTI an amazing car

pros:
1) stylish and modern. but still has the classic golf body
2) gti is uper fast and zippy on the road. very little turbo lag
2) interior is fantastic especially if you choose the leather option. gives it a real luxury feel.

cons:
1) boot space is a bit small. however enough for couples and young family.
2) later models only have leather option with sunroof. this is costly.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Repairs, Repairs and then more repairs

My Golf was fantastic to drive right up to 4years old and 100,000 kms THEN it all started. Radiator, Timing Chain, Horn, Brake Master Cylinder, Clutch Master Cylinder and the list goes on and on. Its just gone in for a new clutch today. Always serviced on time, driven by 40+ yo parent adult.

Complained to VW but they wont answer any questions (5+ emails over several months).

BodyConvertible