Volkswagen Golf

Volkswagen Golf

Mk.7.5 (2017-Present), Mk.3, Mk.4, Mk.5, Mk.6 and Mk.7

Economic and powerful

Ive used this 2007 tdi Sportline manual model for 4 years now, and I do 60K kms per year.
Apart from the normal wear and tear, its been a rock.
Only use premium fuels in VWs as I believe the hi spec engines need it.
The now outdated CD navi system packed it in a couple of years ago, but big deal.
Quality of interior is in a class on its own compared to its japanese/ korean competitors.
And I live only 300 meters from the beach, and no sign of any rust.
Im buying another one......

Purchased in July 2016 for $10,000.00.

Year2,007
Comfort

Should have bought this in the first place

Can only compare to my previous 2017 i30 and before that a 2013 Corolla... the 2018 Golf excels in these basic and critical areas: engine (the 1.4T is a gem, great torque but also great fuel economy), steering feel, interior, and seat comfort.

Comparing models at the same price point, the Golf does lag behind the i30 in other areas, namely road noise insulation, tech features inclusion as standard, electronics in general (the steering wheel buttons and driver menu in the i30 are more intuitive and better designed) and servicing costs. Yet, I'm happy I changed to the Golf after only 1 year in the i30 (not the best financial decision, but the best decision). Like the Corolla before it, the i30 was a very good car across the board... but nothing in particular felt special... at the end of the day, I feel more satisfied pushing a best-in-class engine, looking at a best-in-class interior and sitting in a best-in-class seat even though I now miss some non-critical features. It's totally worth the little extra cost.

There's a lot of DSG transmission scaremongering on the internet, but I like the DSG very much and it does not feel dramatically different than using a normal auto/torque converter. I didn't get the "low speed hesitation" or "lag" some people are talking about, it's really not a problem. If you've driven a manual before, you will notice how the DSG works as an automated manual and adapt to it really fast. My partner has never driven a manual and she doesn't like the DSG, admittedly, so it's not for everyone. I've driven 25k km so far and the car has had no issues. Our VW dealership has said that they will cover the DSG trans with 5 years of good will warranty (even though pre-2019 cars only came with 3 years warranty in general).

Now I also know what my next car will be, a Golf GTI or R (used... can't afford a new one) for even more performance on this great platform.

Purchased in August 2018.

Year2,018

Slow off the mark

Loved all the tech and style of my new Highline TSi 7.5, but geez the 1.4 motor is sooo slowww off the mark to the point I nearly had head ons while turning against traffic. When I would put my foot down to turn against on coming traffic nothing would happen until the turbo kicked in and then I'd be stuck slowly picking up speed with cars barrelling down at me. Changing lanes and putting the foot down to pick up speed to keep up with the faster moving traffic was also a nightmare as again it would take a second or two to start picking up speed, and geez did I have some near misses when doing that!!

The dual clutch was also a headache as yes it's basically a manual....but it didn't have to drive like one and be so temperamental with it's gear shifts. AARRRHHHH!!!!

Suspension was too hard for a car like this. As it isn't a sports car as such it has really stiff suspension making the ride unpleasant.

Lane detection was a nightmare as it would follow grooves in the road or old lane markings that were covered up months ago. Nearly ended up under a truck once as it was driving me towards it, so I ended up not using it ever again after that!

So in the end we had to sell the car after only 10 months as It was too dangerous being slow, and my wife didn't want to travel with me in case I had an accident.

So sad for a new car that had some really good tech and but was let down with being underpowered with a combination of annoying dual clutch lag and slow engine pickup.

Purchased in August 2017 for $34,999.00.

Year2,017

European car built for Europe

Looking for a new small car I test drove a Golf GTI. All I can say is this car it not in its element in Australia. The sunroof has a thin shade cloth that allows a lot of heat through. The indicator is on the left side, Volkswagen wouldn't even spent a few bucks to move it to the right side like all other cars made for Australia, I made good use of the windscreen wiper while driving around corners. Finally, it only has heated seats, no cooling in Queensland that is hot 9 months of the year.
Then I read Hyundai modifies all cars arriving into Australia to suit Australian conditions. I test drove a Hyundai i30 N Line premium. Now this car feels like it is made for Australia. Cloth under sunroof is much thicker and insulates well, indicator on the right side, heated and air cooled seats. On a hot day like today I must say I really liked the air cooled seats.
Don't get me wrong, it looks good inside and out and it has many great features, but I just don't feel it competes with a car built for Australia.
If Volkswagen took the Australian market seriously it could certainly be a contender, but in 2019 it is simply a European car that does not feel like it belongs here.

Purchased in April 2019 for $47,500.00.

Year2,019
Comfort

Best car i have owned yet!

Bought this car while ive been renovating a house for more transport capacity. Has been amazing and never missed a beat. I'm up to 200k kms and still going strong! Will be buying another soon.

Purchased in April 2016 for $26,000.00.

Year2,016
Comfort

Car turned into a lemon overnight

Our VW Golf Wagon drove mostly fine for 6 years but then started coughing and spluttering so we took it to our local mechanic. He advised there are problems with the compression system and that to investigate it further would cost circa $2,000 and then to repair it might be many thousands more. We took this up with VW Australia to say we didn't expect this for a car which is supposed to be reliable with less than 90,000kms on the clock. VW were totally unhelpful and said we could pay the further fee and that they may pay some of it depending on what the findings of the testing were although they're not obliged to. They referred us to the 3 year warranty (expired some time ago), which in my opinion is a poor excuse. You buy a VW expecting that it will be worth something after 6 years or that you could drive it for a further 6 years! Very disappointing and frustrating.

Purchased in August 2013 for $34,999.00.

Year2,012
Comfort
It seems this is a common problem for Golfs of that era. You would think that VW Australia would do the right thing and compensate buyers of this model for what is quite clearly not worthy of the VW brand.

Love them, best car I have ever owned

I own the volkswagen golf r32 and it is an amazing car. I like that it came with leather seats as a standard accessory. My golf it spec'd up with sat nav, parking sensors, sun roof and Bluetooth. For me, I like the sound, performance and handling of this car. I'm not impressed with the newer golfs though.

Purchased in October 2013.

Year2,008
Comfort

Very unstable and problematic gearbox

We just use the car for a regular commuting to work and home. 8 years only 60K km. But the gearbox has been mulfunctioned for a few times. Recently got a very serious problem

Purchased in September 2011.

Year2,011
Comfort

The TSI 1.4litre manual Golf 2010 brought brand new - complete engine failure in Feb 2019

Up until 7 Jan 2019 I loved this car - no problem whatsoever. I got it brand new in 2010 thinking a Golf would stand the test of time. I had it serviced regularly and now at 80,000 kms the compression has gone in one of the cylinders. The car has become worth $0 overnight. The fuel consumption went from 6l/100kms to 10l/100kms. To investigate the problem further will now cost more than the car is worth at trade in. Two mechanics have verified this including a VW dealer. I've been quoted up to $8000 to strip the engine to investigate the problem and then rebuild the engine. And then it will be the cost to fix whatever they find. VW head office told me I must be prepared to pay all the expense and there is a 50/50 chance they will assist me - whatever 'assist me' means. This is a very high risk to take. I am now investigating if there is any action that can be taken further via the ACCC. The car now cannot be driven and so after 9 years of what is meant to be a TRUSTWORTHY and RELIABLE brand I'm left with something that the wreckers might give me $300. This situation is totally unacceptable and unfair.

Purchased in June 2010 for $38,000.00.

Year2,010
Comfort
Further to this: Under Australian consumer law any product, including vehicles are expected to last the reasonable life time for that type of product.

A bit below expectations for a 2018 car

Hired the new Golf & was all set to enjoy.

As it turned out, it was sluggish & felt quite underpowered. Once the turbo kicked in (which took quite a while compared to BMW turbo’s) it went from sluggish to barely ok. Had enough to get going but was working/reving so had.

The engine never felt happy.

I believe a 1.6 liter non turbo would be more pleasant and effective.

Nice shape.
Few too many unnecessary buttons, like ‘turn on cruise control’, then ‘set speed’. In other cars as soon as you touch the button to set speed, the cruise control just simply sets the speed (you do not have to tell it to turn on first).

Economy was good, do a plus there. I’d prefer less economy & more enjoyable drive however.

Badge103TSI Highline
Date PurchasedDec 2018

Golf VII 1.2 TSI 110CV

I purchased this 110CV revision of the 1.2 TSI petrol engine with a special summer promotion in Sweden offering ACC, the multifunctional steering wheel, carplay, etc. No extras except metal paint. The car has turned out very good in many regards. First, it drives fantastically well on city drive and on highways. On motorways with ACC i can get very low consumption figures like 4.8L/100km. I made a long distance autobahn trip over 1000km on one day, with maintained fast speeds in the Autobahn and the average consumption was 5.4l/100km which is just awesome. Not so good is the consumption in city drive with start stop, easily reaching the 10l/100km in shorter trips. On average 7.5l/100km with a LOT of city traffic. Space is awesome, comfortable, best boot in the category (compared to the Volvo V40 it is huge). Build quality is great out of the shop, but it gets old fast. I had a series of small problems. The biggest one was seriously warped disk brakes after only 3000km, They replaced them under warranty. They are warped again, and no, i am not driving like a madman. I guess it has something to do with the cold winters in sweden, and maybe cold water splashing on them or something. Another issue was a broken power window mechanism. And two times the ACC radar sensor got misaligned. Also I feel all the rubber seals in the doors tend to loose its noise cancelling effect and the satisfying door closing noise tends to disappear after a while. The engine is great, although sometimes it will struggle while reversing on a back or stuff like that and your clutch might suffer. Compared to the 1.0 three cylinder it feels more underpowerd, less torque, but nicer and softer in start and stop. Pretty good, practical, solid and nice looking car... just wonder about the long term reliability of components. Would buy again in a blink.

BadgeEdition
Engine Size1.2
Date PurchasedOct 2015

My first VW Golf

I have been the owner of a golf comfortline since July and I must say it’s just a beautiful car. I have had a Mazda 3 and a Subaru Impreza in the past but the golf outdoes these 2 cars easily. The interior is a step up I feel from my past 2 cars although I have had manuals all my life so getting use to an automatic has been interesting. It drives lovely and super impressed with it.

Badge118TSI Comfortline
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Sporty quick and fun

Bought brand new, I have modified it freely and I truly love the performance of this car, added features leather seats sun roof premium sounds system all worth the extra I paid.
Bought in black is my only downfall it is hard to keep clean but otherwise this car has been a great investment tbh

Date PurchasedMay 2017

MK6 GTi, the perfect little hatch

After some time now with our Mk6 Gti Golf with 6spd DSG we have come to the conclusion it is a brilliant small hatch and one of the most rewarding cars out there for a very reasonable price.

From commuting to work daily, grocery shopping or 800klm roadtrips doesnt matter what it is, the Golf just does the job easily. We have owned a Mazda 3 and a Corolla over the years and the Golf is by far the much better car for overall quality and refinement, not to mention the comfort. Surprisingly for a small car, adults can actually sit in the back in comfort with more than adequate head and legroom.

As far as fuel consumption, our real world figures average 8-9L/100klm (usually sits around 8.5) doing a 50min each way city commute daily in heavy traffic. Once on the hwy the fuel consumption varies from high 6's to 7L/100klm

We purchased this 2nd hand from the original owners some time ago, and have not had one issue. It did have full service history which is essential.

These seem to have a bad reputation for poor reliability and expensive repair bills and while things can go wrong with any car it pays to keep up the maintenance. If you neglect the servicing then it is at your own risk. VW service depts can be quite expensive so for servicing it is worthwhile checking out a local Euro car specialists as they are more likely to charge reasonable prices.

The main thing that can go wrong with these is the DSG gearbox. It is essential that it is serviced as scheduled which is every 60,000klm or more frequently in stop start city driving as we do.

As far as a fun, exciting to drive allrounder then you cant go past one of these, they are especially great value for money if you can find a very well looked after model with low klms as we did.

Purchased in April 2018.

Year2,012
Fuel Efficiency

A quality car in almost every way

I purchased my Golf 7 (a 103TSI Highline) second hand in a private sale. It was still under warranty at the time, although had done a fair few kilometers. It did need new clutch packs for the DSG, which were replaced under warranty, and now over 2 years later it still drives absolutely brilliantly. I have now covered 90000kms, and everything still works perfectly, it rides and drives lovely, nothing squeaks or rattles, basically it still looks almost brand new. Compared to other small cars the Golf really does feel premium; and the way it drives supports that. It's also great on fuel (as low as 4.5l/100km on highway trips), it's quiet, comfortable, and has lots of handy gadgets and driving aids (such as Adaptive Cruise Control and self parking). It would have rated a 5 if only the servicing costs were a bit more competitive, as they can be a but pricey compared to a Corolla or Astra.

Badge103TSI Highline
Date PurchasedSep 2016

Wish i bought a Toyota

I use my gti mk7 as a everyday car with modifications and iv been having issues not with my sport modifications but with simple yet expensive standard features such as corner light sensors and cruise control systems. The car just doesn't feel like a high end car after 1 yr. Feels like a old abused car although i take care of it and get it serviced. Wish i had bought a Toyota.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Das Auto

I have had a Golf 7 and now the 7.5, both in Comfortline and it is without a doubt quieter, more refined, more economical (720kms on one fill city and highway driving) more practical and better finished than any other hatchback in this class. The Honda Civic, well the design is not everyone's cup of tea and when I got in the back, I hit my head because of the sloping roofline. The Mazda 3 is very popular, but now old technology with the new model just around the corner, the i30 is nice but the materials inside and the drivetrain are nowhere near the Golf Standard, let's not even mention the Astra (with low res screen and no features), the Focus (with previous version transmission issues and subsequent Class Action), the new Corolla (with the smallest boot in the class) or anything else you'd like to mention.
When the new Golf 8 comes out in late 2019, it will undoubtably again be hard to beat in those departments against the competition. Having said that, I am absolutely appalled by the complete disregard for the environment incl. the criminal attitude in what can only be described as the worst corporate management team decision that we all know as 'Dieselgate' and the subsequent massive losses VW owners around the world face when selling their cars; the complete arrogance and denial by everyone at the top at Head Office makes my blood boil.
With the economy of the 1.4 Turbocharged engine, the power in the lower gears and the upcoming Hybrid models in 2019/20, there is no need for DIESEL anyway.

Badge118TSI Comfortline
Date PurchasedSep 2017

Great car !

Very impressed and this is such a great car to drive around especially the long trips I usually take! I was a little unsure with getting VW but was defiantly worth it !! Would purchase this car again if i had to. such an awesome little car to get around.

Badge103TDI Comfortline
Date PurchasedJan 2014

Great car but needs better QC

MK7 GTI owner, best hatchrocket ever driven, slick design and beautiful interior. However, continuously rattling keep bothers me so now I'm switch to a higher level brand than VW, the engine mount needed strengthen, it vibrates in an abnormal way under hard acceleration which is what this car designed for.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

My first German vehicle and I’m VERY impressed

I have a Trendline Manual with Driver Assist Package. If I could get a manual further up the range I would have gone with that.

The driver assist packages adds so much for such a small outlay and greatly improves the driving experience with all the technology it adds.

Compared to other hatchbacks in its class, the Gold was much more refined drive and all the touch points in the vehicle felt better than a Japanese or Korean made vehicle.

It is my daily driver to work and play and I do about 1,000km a month. I am easily able to achieve 6.0L per 100km in sedate city driving and on a flat freeway that drops into the high 4.0s easily. It has just passed 4,000km and i’m about a quarter into my fifth tank of fuel. It is hugely economical.

The engine feels powerful and punchy combined with the ability to choose extra driving modes from the assist package, I have never once felt it being under powered.

The interior space is great in the front and rear for passengers and the seats fold flat revealing a huge cargo area.

I definitely recommend the Golf if you are looking for a hatch.

BadgeTrendline