What to Expect When You're Expecting

What to Expect When You're Expecting

JulieXX

JulieXXPerth, WA

Not worth the effort

I wouldn't bother reading this book I have the newer updated edition it is so desperately basic and doesn't not contain even 10percent of the info needed when pregnant. and to top it off a lot of the statements are outdated or completely false ! Written by a moron clearly for example apparently the hair on the baby inutero is to keep it warm! Far better off to find a book from the 80s there are many out there !

Basic brain dead information. False misleading comments

playschool

playschoolNew South Wales

A must have book during pregnancy

adminchickybabe

adminchickybabeAU

Good

Definately the book you want if you are after information- which I craved during pregnancy; most comprehensive book I found. Good to look up index for specfic concerns
Make sure you have the most recent edition for accuracy-2009 (picture at top of review is an older edition)
Jam packed full of information
Good comprehensive sections on selected issues
Style can be a bit dull. A more attractive layout/ font would really help- try reading the labour section in one sitting
I would have preferred headings to the "question/answer", questions weren't really natural sounding
A bit too American for an "Australian Edition"

Lucy_Lou

Lucy_Lou

OK

I was given and read alot of pregnancy books and for some reason this one did not appeal to me. I found the writing style lacked personality and was perhaps a bit dated, actually it is a little like being at school. However, it does contain alot of information that is trustworthy and useful as a reference guide but did very little in inspiring me about being a parent.
Factual reference guide. Information-rich
I found this book a bit dull and the layout was not appealing for easy reading. It felt a little old-fashioned in its writing style and overly serious.

nataliepr

natalieprNSW, 2111

Good

I have an older edition of this book but looking at the new one I think most of the same things would be true.
Very comprehensive covering most topics you could think of. I like the question and answer format it frequently uses throughout. Organised according to the stages of pregnancy so good to read in bite size chunks if that's all you have time for.
A little too strict at times (for example regarding weight gain) - whilst the information may be factually correct I'm not sure how helpful the tone is with these sorts of issues. Doesn't cover pregnancy loss/stillbirth at any length.

tas81c

tas81c

This book was great! It gives so much information. I loved it as it told me symptoms and what I could or could do about them as well as important things to prepare for. It made me feel like I had a concise understanding of what myself and my partner where going through. This is a read as you go book, like a how to guide - it lived on my bed side table for when I needed answers to the many questions we had.
Fantastic...I read this the whole way through my pregnacy and during the first month or so after having my daughter

sarahjo

sarahjo

skylark82

skylark82

This book had good coverage of a lot of information. I loved reading it throughout my pregnancy and found it answered all of my questions. I would definitely recommend it to any expectant mother out there.
I loved this book and followed it through my whole pregnancy. I found it covered everything I needed to know and brought up a lot of issues I would not have though about. I loved the layout and the part for dad. I particularly liked the part about labour, I found it covered all the information our prenatal class discussed.
nothing I can think of!

jodiev1980

jodiev1980South West, WA

OK

This book is worth reading if you are pregnant as it gives you a world of information you just have to get into it. You can also easily look up what you are after.
Very informative. It covers pretty much everything that happens during pregnancy.
Sometimes I found this book a bit dull and I didn't like the layout.

reviewmatey

reviewmateyAU

OK

This was my first book about pregnancy and i found it completly useful.However this was not my first choice when i went shopping but ended up buying this as it had more text than pictures and it fits a budget.Glad i got it though. All the postpartum exercise's and post pregnancy tipos were very useful. On the whole would recommend this to any new mum.
good starter-very informative-complete postpartum coverage as well
the font size could have been little big and this made it hard to read during flight journeys or any travel.Not much info on pregnancies that are overdue.

will_rachelle

will_rachelle

OK

I read this book in conjuction with Up the Duff. Personally I preferred the more comical, don't take yourself to seriously viewpoint of Up the Duff compared to this book. However there were some things that weren't covered in Up the Duff that I referred back to this book for. Also preferred the week by week approach of Up the Duff compared to month by month in this book.
Generally a very informative book with good coverage on topics. Liked the pictures of the growing baby as it went through each stage. Good index, easy reference guide.
In some areas was quite a formal and prudish read.

tiseffies

tiseffies

heytherek

heytherek

This book has a lot of information in it and has been around for a long time and contains heaps of information and tips for pregnancy. It is a great book to read over and over again and covers so many different topics. Well worth having around everytime you are pregnant. Definitely worth having a read.
I first read this book after stumbling across it at the local library and it really is an excellent book. You can follow the week by week growth of your baby and it has really good information for when you are expecting.
There are none.

Glisten

Glisten

Dannii

Dannii

It is a great informative book, step by step, month by month guide on everything you need to know about pregnancy. It certainly helped in a lot of different things that pop up when pregnant and it was great to have the information all in one book!
This is a great book. I bought it 6years ago when I had my first child and pulled it out again a year ago when i fell pregnant with my second child!

kezry

kezry

This book was the first one I brought when I found out I was pregnant. So far it has been my constant go-to for answers to all of the varied questions that come up during pregnancy. It answered all of my questions as well as informing me of many new things. I loved how it went though every week of pregnancy and what size bub would be at that age. It also covered many of the things that can go wrong in pregnancy so I was always aware and alert of those things.
Great, informative book that covered every stage of pregnancy and birth.

zsazsazoo

zsazsazoo

Tanya

Tanya

When first pregnant it was great to have lots to read each month, it's very reassuring and the tone tends more to the you're normal and doing ok rather than doom and gloom of what can go wrong. It covers a diverse range of topics and viewpoints - home birth through to caesarean and how both the baby is developing as well as how the pregnancy is affecting the mother
It's set out in a month by month guide, the pictures of what the baby will look like, able to get information summarised as well as in detail

lbj39

lbj39

This was a fantastic book. It covered just about everything I was wondering about and covered most of the things that happened. I found it really easy to read with lots of detail but not too medical. I bought it double with What to Eat when you're expecting which had lots of great tips for eating while you are pregnant and then while you are breastfeeding. It was a really simple to read and follow where I found some other information too technical.
This is a fantastic pregnancy book. I'd recommend it as a must have to anyone who is expected
Nothing I loved it.

MrsEd

MrsEdPO Box 874, SA

Good

Lots of great information, I would refer to this book many times during my pregnancy. Even though the format is set up month to month, I still found it good to find what I wanted to know.
Excellent information, covers pretty much everything!
There is a chapter in the book which covers all the things that can go wrong in pregnancy, and sadly things DO go wrong sometimes, but after reading this section it made me worry something bad was going to happen to me or my baby. It is good to be informed of what COULD happen, but personally I should have skipped this chapter.