Review rating:

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Love it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 23, 2017

I was torn about getting a Thermomix I couldn't justify the cost but when I saw the Thermocook at less than 1/2 the priceI thought I'd give it a go. Well, the minute TC arrived we have had an ongoing love affair! I use the Thermomix recipes without any problems, TC gets used most days and I love it. The instruction book wasn't very clear but I muddled through. I think he is as good as a Thermomix.

Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Views through the eyes of a newcomer!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2017

After researching the market in full and having 2 daughter-in-laws with Thermomix, decided to go with Thermocook Pro. Excellent service ordered Online one day and delivered the next. Now to start cooking recipes in the recipe book provided, however I look forward to improvements or online backup of recipes. Also adapting my own recipes to suit.
I am really looking forward to the future of "Thermo cooking".

North Shore City, Auckland New Zealand

• 21 answers
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

A wonderful way to spend as little time possible in the kitchen.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2016

Ordered online Thursday, delivered Friday, started cooking that night. I played around with it all weekend and produced winter stew, bread, soup, boiled eggs, ice cream, porridge and more. I am delighted once understanding how to do the controls (I am 71) and the fact that the mixer bowl and the regular bowl are in fact the same thing - just replacing the blade. I almost went to the Thermomix but when I realised their steamer and lid is plastic (plus the wopping price of $NZ2300) and Thermocook is stainless steel. I also love the scales whi ch I initially thought was a free iPad when unpacking :). I got it at the bargain price of $900 with a 30 day return no questions asked. I will be shedding my Kenwood mixer, hot stick, kitchen whizz and more next week. On the downside I quickly discovered when cooking milk products, the cleaning is not 'fun' as the milk tends to caramelise on the base but was easy for the other recipes like stew etc.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Rivals the Thermomix!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2016

• 2 answers
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

Very happy with the machine quality - recipe book needs some work

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 20, 2016

Very versatile. Consistent stirring good for custards and things like that. Was pleasantly surprised with how easy it made bread and pastry. Have made stew and risotto and even a cake. And of course smoothies are fantastic. I had to work out rice cooking as some of the grains come through the steaming basket. Recipe book could be improved: the index at the back should be alphabetical; some of the times seems a bit hot or long (rice not in the steam basket burns) as did custard (so I just reduced the time and all fine). I got an extra bowl which I don't use that much but am glad I have it. I don't use it daily but will use it at least four times a week. I did quite a bit of research and thought hard about the Thermomix. Even though I have only seen the Thermomix in demonstration, I don't think there would be much difference in the machines. There may be a difference in the recipes. But I am very happy to have bought this one - I am sufficiently confident in my cooking to work recipes out.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Definitely buy one.

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2016

I used to own a thermomix, and the only difference is that the scales are separate from the machine, meaning we need to place the jug on the scales to weigh things- still, totally easy! I use it everyday, for everything from boiling eggs to making meals. I love it!

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 helpful vote

We love our Thermocook

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2016

The Thermocook has met our expectations and more. The raw cheesecakes made in it have been amazing! Easy to clean using the self clean cycle. We cook a lot of meals in bulk and do big cook ups on weekends so a bigger jug would be bonus for batch cooking some soups, stews and casseroles this winter. The Thermocook is a great addition to our kitchen and we use is most days.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Canberra

• 12 answers

I'm happy with it.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2016

The pricing is a bit of a trick - RRP$1600 but it sells for $850. Re the 30 day return with free postage, it has to be in the same condition it arrived on your doorstep. Keep all the boxes and plastic bags, etc. Recipe book has some issues so you have to learn what recipes work and don't work. The recipe book refers to the Blending bowl and Mixing bowl. I eventually found out they are the same thing. It is very useful to purchase a second bowl. I have one set up with the cutting blades and one set up with the kneading attachment saving me const antly swapping. The interface is quite fussy, not well designed. In the end I just ditched the recipes. It kneads quite well but 'walks'. Sauteeing is fine but you have to be careful it doesn't burn on the base. Apparently using the butterfly can help with sauces. Chopping is fine as long the amount is quite large. Same goes for the pureeing. Although I have not used any of the rival brands, I can't compare. I decided not to return it and it is a useful adjunct to my kitchen. The recipe book and the user interface is what really lets it down. Also, it turns itself off when not used which is good but it hums until you flick the switch. The scales which are attractive but can turn themselves off while you are in the middle of measuring something.

Sydney

• 1 answer
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

We use it every day and make everything from scratch

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2016

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perth

• 1 answer
Private message

Excellent all-in-one kitchen gadget!!!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2016

After many hours spent reading reviews on the Thermocook Pro & it's rivals I took the plunge, purchased one online from www.froothie.com.au & even scored 50% off at the time. I use this most days for many different quick meals, smoothies, etc. & haven't looked back. Well done OPTIMUM, very happy!!

My Right Hand Assistant

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2016

Although I have been on holidays and not had the opportunity to use my Optimum I can't recommend it enough as it is so easy to use for so many uses and found the steamer excellent and cleaning is a breeze. Best appliance in my kitchen and found I could discard many appliances.

Private message

I had no idea we would use it soo much.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2016

The Thermocook is part of our family. It gets used everyday without fail for smoothies, curries, baby veggies, custard, bolognese, bread, butter, lemon curd, blitzing, mixing, and then it cleans itself!
Having small children in the home I feel safer setting the Thermocook to do dinner while I get kids bathed. No naked flames or exposed boiling pots.

1 of 3 pages

Does Thermocook sell covers to cover the Thermocook when not in use?

Trizee asked on Mar 15, 2017

Hello,
Thank you for your message. We do not have a cover for the ThermoCook but thank you for your suggestion :)

owh okaee......

Can the thermocook pro grind rice into a fine flour

Ellavee asked on Mar 10, 2017

Answer this

Thank you for your message :) The pulse button of the ThermoCook offers the ability to promptly blend, grind, mix ingredients with little effort. However, if you are looking at principally grinding ingredients into a fine flour, one of our high speed Vortex blenders might be best suited. You can find our whole range on the link below:

We hope this helps but please contact us at support@froothie.com.au if you have further questions. We will gladly assist :)

I am thinking of getting a Thermocook-----are the ones on special on the website brand new or are they the ones that have been returned during the 30 day trial period? I will mostly be cooking for one or two people so does it chop small quantities? What does "self clean" mean----I see that some reviewers say to soak and even scrub (I hate cleaning blenders). Are the "smoothies" really smooth or a bit grainy? Thanks so much for any help.

ronald_wand asked on Feb 07, 2017

Answer this

1. All the thermocook machines are brand new. The ones on special are probably the machines left from the introductory special offers, I see they are now $1800. I dont know about those returned from a 30 day trial what they do with them. I got mine for $900NZ including two bowls.
2. Yes if you follow all the instructions in the book, even though some feedback states its not 100%, the book isnt meant to be perfect but a guide on how to apply method so you can eventually take a recipe for one in the book and substitute it with your own recipe. Its frustrating initially using the machine. I got mine on Friday and spent the next 3 days reading the book, understanding the book and making various recipes - winter stew was the most successful providing you use the correct blade. My family deserted me!!! Now I use it without thinking, and my usual recipes. Be aware the cooking mince recipe comes out more like mince soup and this recipe definitely needs rethinking by Froothie. The temperature is too high also.
3. Self clean - hmmm! If processing cold foods yes, its as simple as a rinse under the tap. However for porridge (again the recipe program is crazy - says 1 hour to cook - I stop it at 9 minutes tops). This causes a thickish mat and I now rinse quickly scraping what I can with a steelo gently then soak it in say 3 inches cold water and after time just your your finger to remove the rest. I think this applies to most hot dishes using flour or egg bases.
4. Smoothies: fabulous! I have at least one a day, banana, ice, vanilla , press the smoothie programme ensuring the banana goes in before the ice cubes (to keep the blades free). Purrrrrfect! Grainy? only the ice which is delicious.

Read all my feedback as I cover many issues, especially cooking mince and cleaning. I am very pleased with my purchase and if I ever live alone, would be able to survive without a cooker, kettle etc. It boils water quickly, and steams to perfection every time! ADVICE: Sit down and read the book especially maintenance and tips etc.

Thank you Denise again for your valuable feedback. We can confirm that all the units sent are brand new.
Ronald, we would be very happy to email you a copy of the manual and recipe book for you to have a look. Simply contact us at support@froothie.com.au :)

See all 43 questions about Optimum Thermocook Pro