Apple iMac 27 inch

Apple iMac 27 inch

2012 Late, 2013 Late, 2009 Late, 2010 Mid and 2011 Mid

Best computer I have owned

I love the all in one unit and the actual thinness of the computer. I have dverthing in a large font for ease to read and navigate. It is easy to use, download apps and connect devices to. It has been 5 years since I purchased it and it hasn’t skipped a beat, or frozen, just perfect.

Nothing but trouble from day 1.

Had been using an 11 year old PC with upgrades over time, reliable machine and still fires up 100% although well overdue for a new machine so I decided to get into an iMac 27inch.
To give it a try and see if I could get my head around the Apple OS etc I decided to buy a used 2011 model and all being well would buy a new model Mac down the track.

I am glad I didn't buy a new $3000 Mac up front because these things have a zillion issues apparently and all are horrendously expensive to repair mostly due to ridiculous prices on Apple spares.

The model I got had the very common video card(GPU) issue, it's an AMD card and costs $600 to replace!! - I can buy a base spec PC for that price alone!. There have been major issues with the power supply unit too, twice the price of a PC unit and that's used! a new one I found listed at $900!!.

The risk in buying these machines is that they may not be reliable into the future and will be astronomically expensive to repair if one of the very common issues appears. ( I should have simply googled iMac 27 inch problems before buying one but was seduced by the rave reviews of some owners/ friends ).

My iMac will be getting sold for scrap/parts and I'll take the loss and learn from it but I'd say if you are considering an iMac computer then do some research before you take the plunge, the net is full of dissatisfied iMac users who have encountered these issues and more and have been left out of pocket and angry.

Meanwhile I'm using my 11 year old PC whilst searching for a higher specification new PC which will out perform an iMac and cost half the price, will be far cheaper to upgrade in future and will be far more reliable.

In a nutshell, be aware that iMacs are extremely expensive and difficult to repair or upgrade once they are a few years old as parts can be almost impossible to find if you do find yourself having one of the very common issues with these machines.

This has been my personal experience but I have friends who own and use the same model daily and have not had any of the same issues - go figure - but be aware that some machines do have problems and do your research before taking the plunge.

Would have been 5 star

Purchased November 2017. Would have been 5 star but for the wireless mouse. It is most annoying and has a mind of its own and for some reason has to be recharged upside down thus disabling its use. I will have to purchase a mouse with a cord to stop the frequent frustrations I have with this thing.

June 6th 2018 Update: MORE APPLE JUNK

Purchased this from Officeworks in November 2017. I previously complained about the "Wireless Mouse", gave 4 stars and now it's down to 3 stars.
Now its the keyboard which is called the "Magic Keyboard". Most annoyingly disconnects and has a complete mind of its own as to when it will re-connect. Yes it's fully charged up. Looks like I will have to purchase a keyboard with a cord to stop the frequent frustrations I have with this thing.

I PUT THIS ON THE APPLE SUPPORT BLOG AND APPLE REMOVED IT !! As said above, I chucked the Bluetooth Mouse shortly after purchase, as it was horrible to use so I bought a wired one. Then a few weeks later the Bluetooth kept disconnecting the so called "Magic" keyboard by turning itself off. After 3 or 4 weeks of frustrating Bluetooth disconnections, online chat and telephone to Apple support, they said I will need to backup my Mac and reinstall the system software. NO WAY I said, is Apple going to pay me $100 per hour to do this I asked?... anyhow is this going to be a permanent fix when there are so many people on the internet complaining of this Bluetooth problem? After some heated discussion I said that Apple should supply me with a wired keyboard as I have had it with Bluetooth and don't want to use it anymore. I said I would purchase a wired keyboard and send Apple Australia the invoice. That idea was not received well and said they cannot fix a software problem with a hardware fix. So I started hunting around on the internet for a keyboard and then discovered that the Lightning to USB Cable (for charging the keyboard), actually works as a wired keyboard when connected, a feature that Apple support did not tell me about and silly me did not have that idea cross my mind. So problem for me now solved, turned Bluetooth off, Apple can shove its Bluetooth "Magic" where the sun don't shine!!!

Big, Bold, Fast

It's a few years old now, but I still love my 2011 27" Apple iMac. The 4k screen is stunning, and the processor is still fast at rendering movies. The hard drive is getting slow and probably needs replacing with an SSD.

Can't live without my Mac

This is by far the best computer I have ever owned. For years now it hasn't missed a beat. While you pay a premium to buy an iMac you won't be disappointed. Easy to use and a beautiful big screen. Integrates nicely with my iPad and iPhone. The only upgrade I wish I had would be an SSD instead of normal hard drive to make it that little faster now it's s bit older. Great product and I will buy another for sure.

Nice Machine, but could use more upgradeability

I bought my27" iMac as a custom machine with top of line i7 CPU, 1TB Fusion drive and 8GB ram. After purchase I added another 16GB ram for a total of 24GB and added a second 27" monitor of the same resolution as the iMac screen.

Reliability:
Mostly, its a good machine. A few weeks after purchase the spring inside the screen hinge failed so I had to return it under warranty. I have also had issues with the machine not shutting down properly under several OS upgrades. Have stopped trying to find out why and stuck with leaving it in sleep mode when not in use.

Speed:
I have used my iMac for a mixture of video editing, 3D design, Illustration and desktop publishing with mixed success. The reality is that although the 3.7Ghz i7 is fast, the inbuilt GTX 775M and fusion drive are not up to the task of any really demanding work. Programs like Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign feel laggy in any situation with files demanding video performance whilst Premiere and Lightroom are just painfully slow at times due to the Fusion Drive & GTX775M combo.

Upgradeability:
In a perfect world you could easily replace items like video cards & hard drives, however, it's not so easy or cheap in the Apple universe as only a trained technician (or brave/stupid) owner would try to disassemble an iMac themselves.

Overall:
In summary, the iMac is great as a personal computer for every day use. I love the integration with other apple products and services, but I would not recommend it for professional work. Personally, I have gone back to a PC workstation for paid work and enjoy my iMac on the weekends.

good

it is a very nice computer. it is very clean and the display is very clear. I love it. It is very fast and does its job. i would recommend it

Reliable, fast and beautiful

My Late 2009 iMac 27" had a tough life. It was hardly ever turned off and received maltreatment from unsympathetic children. The glass on the front of the screen got smashed after it was knocked onto the floor by my four year-old, the DVD drive got jammed with paper clips (same four year-old) and when not exposed to the kids, it was crunching through design projects in Adobe Creative Suite. Even after five years it was still quick enough for any work I needed and the screen was beautiful. Did 9/10 of what a Mac Pro did for half the money. OSX is dead simple to use. All peripherals worked as soon as plugged in. Only gripe is the inconvenient location of the USB slots and the reflective screen was no good if you had a window or bright light behind. GPU eventually gave up in 2015, but I was still able to get good money for the non-working machine! I don't particularly like Apple as a company, but the iMac is a perfect blend of functionality, ease of use, style and power. Worth the extra spend in my opinion.

Love it, I hate computers

I love it because it's simple.
I plug it in and it just works, does everything I could ever need and more.

If you have an iPhone they interact well and do some cool stuff, almost pointless to have an iPhone without one.

For those that have no desire to constantly upgrade and change your computer or hate the idea of computer virus the get a Mac.

A fantastic product

Hard drive was slow from day one, has no option for a faster hard drive
processor is a slower one- once again no option to upgrade the processor

Product is very expensive, but like all apple stuff fantastic quality and company is very helpful.

Display. processor, hard drive, could all be better- build quality is amazing, looks fantastic, and is a very versatile computer.

Definitely recommend buying

Apple, Thank You! Perfect all the way! Apple iMac27

Purchased in July 2011, iMac27

I have been a PC user all my computing life until I came across the iPhone. After using the iPhone for a while it became clear that Apple were ticking all the right boxes in every way. The real deal sealer for me was the unbelievable customer service in store. I had a problem with the iPhone which one of the major Telco's could not fix after a few weeks so I decided to give Apple a call. Everything thing from here on was a breeze! 1 minute into my consultation with the Apple tech and my phone was pretty much ready to go after signing some paper work.

During a new business start up I was doing my research into new computers and Apple was high on the list. I went over every detail for PC and Mac. This included checking for software compatibility for a Mac to my accountants running only PC, graphic designers using PC and Mac. To cut it down.... Apple came through with flying colours.

My next step I contacted Apple to have a chat, I was handed over to a business consultant straight away and they answered every question on the spot. I was even given a reduced price on the quote for our purchase. In store they have a couple of every model computer on show for you to try out all connected to the net. Service in store in great when you consider how many people are in there checking things out. They have a very unique way of dealing with the large number of people in store (school holidays!!!)

For me all the above sealed the deal with Apple. Overall product amazing, customer service amazing, after care amazing, knowledge of products by staff and techs amazing, design and ease of use amazing even coming from a PC user, speed and response amazing. The whole Apple process for me so far has been probably the best service I have come across.

Products I purchased were, iMac27, MacBook Pro 13.3, extra software, One to One support. One to One support is an add on worth it's weight in gold if you are coming from PC and want to know all the ins and outs of a Mac. You get one year of one on one support with someone who specialises in the part of the Mac you need answers on as well as access to an online account which you can view added video tutorials they are not available to the general public, only One to One purchases. Staff even set up new Mac's in store to save us doing it at home, they stepped us through the whole set up which was a breeze anyway!

Thank you Apple for taking the time to produce such a picture perfect plan on products and support. Such a hard thing to find these days!
World Class Service, great after care, reliable solid product, space saving, ease of use, sleek design, it just WORKS every time with everything, great price for this quality and I could go on!!!
Nothing so far!

Will probably never purchase an iMac again!

After using a microsoft for so many years I was getting a bit bored and decided to get an iMac 27in all in one. Was it was great at the time as the screen is so big and with the wireless keyboard and mouse I thought it was a great concept. But after a few days I had to call Apple customer service as I was already having problems with it. Firstly they were not even going to help me as apparently if you go over 90 days they don't help you with any technical advice unless you pay them for a subscription. I only had the computer for a week but according to them it was when the store bought them. How wrong is that!! Next thing when they decided to help me they looked at my serial number and told me that there was a fault on my computer and that I would have to take a 27 INCH computer into a apple store ( In WA there is only 1 in the city) and get them to do an upgrade to the software. It has been a few months and since then my wireless internet has played up and intermittently comes on and off!! I have checked my internet connection, router, modem, wireless connection with every other device etc... and this is the only thing that does not work!! Very frustrating!! Apparently everyone is having problems with the iMac 27 inch computer. It has problems with the airport, IP address trying to connect to the internet wirelessly!! And apple can't even do a thing about it!! Some advice, Apple products are good, but don't get the macs!! Especially the 27inch!!! Stick with good ol Bill gates and get a mircrosoft!!
All in one without the tower. Nice big screen. some added benefits
Doesn't work wirelessly!! - confusing at times. Apple customer service are hopeless

I bought the iMac 21.5 and apart from trying to get my head around the Mac OS I havent had any problems. Have been running completely on wireless and printing to a wireless printer in another room. Love how quickly it starts up and shuts down. Love the free space I now have on my desk. Its does take a bit to get used to the wireless mouse as its very touchy I agree to Nob. I got the greatest Apple product there is. You just need to explore though to get familiar with your iMAc.