Apple Magic Mouse 2

Apple Magic Mouse 2

See the Best Electronics in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Clever idea, stupid design

I was so excited to upgrade from my Magic Mouse 1 to the cordless Magic Mouse 2. MM1 suffers from disconnection issues, and goes through batteries at a ridiculous rate. MM2 however, is reliable and rechargeable which is perfect. It comes with a USB lightning charging cable, which i can use for my iPhone too. However, the charging port is on the bottom of the mouse. Why ?? Not only do you have to turn the mouse upside down, you also can't use it while it's charging. So if you run out of battery mid-work, tough luck you need to have a back up mouse. The second problem with MM2 is that it feels cheap and plasticky. This is a $119 mouse we are talking about. Clicking is hard and loud, and after a few hours of use, my wrist and forearm become painful. I switch to MM1 and can immediately feel the difference. MM1 is so smooth, and clicking is quiet and effortless. Apple needs to come up with a better design that combines the comfort of MM1 with the reliability and recharge ability of MM2, and then put the charging port at the top end of the mouse, so you can plug it in and continue to use it without interrupting your work.

I wish I only knew

Bought two new iMac's for the home, with bluetooth keyboard and mouse at end of 2015.
Never mind the iMac reminds me of the early 80's when the PC operating system was DOS... any slower and it would go backwards! Keyboard, thanks heaven, it works just fine. Ah, but the mouse... the mouse is literally a useless heap of crap!!!!!
It chews through batteries as if there was no tomorrow... but not any good old AA battery... in order to work appropriately it demands just the battery it wants... any other and even when new it just keeps "disconnecting" with all accompanying consequences. Not to mention loss of sanity!
I had it checked by Apple last year and they said it was because not all AA batteries are the same. Really?! Well, what a revelation!
They said to use only one particular brand of batteries. That was never indicated in the product information at the time of purchase. Honestly, I am a grumpy old bloke and can't even remember what brand of battery they recommended. Not that it matters... the mouse was executed this morning, to better life. And the iMac wont be far behind. Back to Windows.
After more than 15 years of loyalty to Apple I think is time to part roads... from a wonderful brand it has gone to a heap of that brown smelly things dogs do.

Can't use it when charging

Being an Apple product (i guess it's expected) that this is expensive for a mouse - $129. I think you can buy a decent Logitech set (keyboard + mouse) for this money but that's now in hindsight. On the technical side I do like the touch pad functionality otherwise it just like any other wireless mouse, the shape for the hand is fine but nothing amazing. Didn't have any issues connecting it to the computer and the lightning cables are good if you also have an iPhone to charge.
Now there is a strange design flaw with this mouse, you can't use it while charging - you need turn it upside down to charge. Granted you don't need to charge it often but still you think it wouldn't be hard to put the charging port at the front and allow you to use it while it's charging (this has been solved previously, it's not like Apple would be reinventing the wheel - in fact they went backwards). I'd recommend this if it was twice as cheap and allow you to charge and work at the same time otherwise I think it's not the best purchase.