Brother HL-1110

Brother HL-1110

MPNs: BRO-HL-1110 and LED-PRB-HL-1110

Compact, capable, economic and easy

This is my second purchase of this product as drum needed replacing and my local printer shop got me a terrific deal for new printer - shame this printer is being discontinued - ideal for my study as I have limited space and it sits neatly on desk/table. Easy to replace toner cartridge and even easier to fix paper jam if needed. I have it on "toner Save" mode and toner seems to last for ages. One of the best small black and white printers around.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Cannot fault for its price

Hi,
Have had this printer for a few years and it gets used on a daily basis with an average of 20-25 pages per day.
It’s main purpose is to print receipts for our business and has been extremely reliable with the rare paper jam.
Takes a few seconds to respond irrespectively either via USB directly or via a router.
No biggie though as it prints quickly and the quality and toner yield is excellent.
Also the replacement toner costs are very reasonable, even the genuine ones, though we use a third party replacement toner.
Setting up the printer was easy as well, pretty much straight forward on both PC & Mac.
Overall if you only need B&W and are mostly printing text, this printer is fantastic value and performs beautifully.
A no brainer really.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Cannot install driver on Mac OSX 10.6.8

No problem not having USB cable included in the package as I use my old printer's cable. It is good for the environment and save Brother the cost for including another USB cable. Hope in the future they will still be using the same cable.

I cannot install the driver on my Mac. Anyone got any idea how do I go about it? Brother tech people advised me that it is Apple's system problem. Need to consult with them. I haven't done so.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Good Printer for its price

Personally I only use this printer for school, so i don't need a very powerful printer. This printer does everything i need perfectly fine: its decently fast, affordably and good value for money. However, it is a shame that you need to buy a usb cable separately, personally i don't mind that too much. The toner is amazing, in my opinion MUCH better value than buying ink cartridges that run out after few documents. Note, the printer's clarity is a little disappointing, so images are sometimes a bit blurry, but reasonable. I'm very happy with my device and think it is a great printer for its price.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Great little laser

Bought this little thing for about $80 after YEARS of inkjets that ran out of ink quickly and cost a bomb to replace. SO impressed with this printer...I’m sure you can get faster, even colour, but for what we paid it’s the best value home printer I’ve owned by far.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

This is a mixed bag.

Since Australia Post got too expensive to send anything and the email attachments became dirt cheap, I mean who uses printers? Who sends letters? Who uses Australia Post?

I use Linux and several things arise from this. The genius's at Brother in Japan, provided a downloadable a set up file - from their website, that then meant to install the drivers I have to be online while my system was interrogated for installation and data was uploaded and down loaded and it just went on and on and on and on and on..... huge download I forget... 118 Meg?

And then I had a HUGE fight with the people in Brother as in what if I go some place without an internet connection or it goes down for a week or 20 (Tsunami anyone???) - why can't you make it run as is, or provide a fully downloadable driver file that can be saved and requires no internet connection to install and make run.

You know Duh!

And since these companies have a dirty habit of making refills more expensive than a new printer, I bought a HEAP of after market toner and a spare 10,000 page ???? toner drum.... figuring this should last me till the end of time....

The people at Brother did take my instruction to FIX the bad driver file installation process into a stand alone file.

However the printer drivers have not been updated since 2013 and the printer runs in a faint gray instead of BLACK, and the resolution is fixed at 300 x 300 DPI (Draft) and the Normal mode is 600 x 300 DPI and the FINE is 600 x 600 DPI, and the "Toner Saver" mode is disabled, and while the highest density print (600 x 600 DPI) is selected, the drivers exert no control over anything with operating the printer.

So more fights with the Brother Corp via the US and A, because the Australian Tech support is an adept work shirker, and avoiding the Japanese head office as they "don't get it" in terms of getting things FIXED and running properly.....

And the Americans customer / tech support....

The issue is the CODING - of the drivers (international - runs on all Brother printer machines - all around the world) for Linux (Debian Distro - International software) and fixing the coding to actually run the printer, instead of leaving it stuck in 300 x 300 "Draft" resolution.

The Australian Tech support - telling them to escalate the problem with the drivers to get it resolved by rewriting it = buck pass and their way out of that. Compulsive liars.....

Take it to the Americans?

This is the poor the American Tech support come out with..... All work shirkers and liars....

"I'm sorry for the issues stated below.

There is a small problem though. Our Linux Support is USA based. Most of the customers we support are in fact for USA Products and Drivers we have control over. As you can see by the downloads page, Brother Support is sectioned by countries. Neither my team or I have the ability to test and reproduce this issue for you. In order to get attention for the problem. I believe you will need to contact your normal support departments within your country. They can test and reproduce using the exact machine and possibly open a report that supports the possible failure.

-Brother Technical Support"

I think for a basic letter printing type printer, it should be pretty good, but the Japs have done a totally lousy job on the drivers and controls for the Linux systems.

Universally and internationally - their tech support is unforgivably lazy and dishonest.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

A great little low volume printer

Easy to instal.. not plug'n'play... i had to instal the driver via the supplied cd, no big deal. Its good for what it is, maybe a tiny bit noisy ... and if you hammer it a too hard it'll overheat and go into cooldown mode after every three pages, apparently thats normal... it just chugs away three pages at a time til the jobs done no worries.
For the price its a wee beauty.
I keep mine well ventilated though when printing... safety first.
Oh and dont forget to buy a usb cord for it in case the checkout staff are too dull to let you know you'll need one.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Good old workhorse!

Have not had any problems with this printer excepting replacing consumables and am very satisfied as it is nearly 4 years old and used constantly. I bought it for it's portability and wanted a B&W printer only as the cheap colour printers seem to fizzle out too quickly. This printer has outlived 3 of those. Very happy with my purchase.

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Average printer

I've had 3 of these in the last 12 months. They print about 500 pages before you will need to buy new toner. It's cheaper to actually buy a new printer so I just cycle through them that way rather than going with a new toner each time.

I see some complaints from people that there is no cable included with the printer and low scores given as a result. That's just not fair. The fact that it has no cable is clearly stated on the box of the product. If you missed that information there's no one else to blame other than yourself.

If you're after an average printer this is your mark. It has an average print quality, lasts for the amount of time that I would expect and rarely jams. The main (small) negative that I have is that it's not that easy to turn off. You have to hold the power button for several seconds and even then you're not sure if its worked as the LED power light is of low brightness.

Fast and cheap.

This monochrome laser printer is an ideal entry level printer for someone who just wants a printer for easy economical printing of documents and receipts, it prints with amazing speed and will outdo similar inkjet printers, generic toners for this model can be purchased cheaply off eBay for as little as $13.50.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

No USB in Box

I haven't even tested the printer yet because I don't have a USB to plug it in with. No USB Cable in the box! Pathetic! I'll use up the toner and then I'm going to chuck your piece of rubbish printer against the wall and never buy another brother product in my life... Its like selling a car with no tires.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Perfect for the price.

Simple easy machine for my notebook. Not our only machine, just a simple value for money printer to sit next to the notebook upstairs, so we don't have to run up and downstairs for simple jobs. Excellent value for money, simple to install, cheap to run. Ah, yes it does not come with the USB cable, but at the price... I did look at the contents list and what else was needed on the side of the box...

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Hopeless...

Whose smart idea at Brother was it to sell a printer that doesn't come with a cable to use it for?
Cost cutting I understand, but at least make the product usable out of the box, and if not, at least make it known on the box to say that it is not included.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Very happy I have bought it.

A very good printer for the price and easy to install. It does not include a USB cable with it but it did not bother me since my old printer had the same cable. It's also very fast and does a decent printing job. It's the first "brother" that I own and I will most likely stick with the brand and invest in one of their colour printer next time.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

fast and simple printer

very good for printing non delicate prints such as receipts, or just plain copy of anything on paper. very fast and so simple plug and print. not complicated and cheap but reliable black and white printer. so happy with the way i am using it. very much satisfied with the performance. thank you brother.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Suprisingly good for a cheap printer!

Ive had a couple of these printers now. They are super cheap on ink and are very fast to print. Both machines have lasted around 2 years which for a printer under $50 is pretty good. Only down side is ive had trouble cleaning it but for the price i dont mind.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Paper gets stuck and tears inside. can't open the machine to rectify. Frustrating!

perfect

It is a nice printer, and I thinks it is easy to handle, so I am rather satisfied with it. In addition, as an international student, this printer is a cost-effective product. A lot of my friends choose it. Since 2015, I never use the other printer. so recommend you to buy it.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Snappy little printer

This was a Great little printer. It is a handy size for my wife's desk. it is simple to use . the setup time was quick and easy and the printer was working inside 10 minutes. My wife is very happy with the printer and uses it almost every day..

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Good quality printer on a cheap price

A very economical b&w printer. I use it to print forms and drawings for my kids to color. The quality is good and the original toner cartridge keeps going (it has been more than a year). Great for occasional use at home.

Does not come with a USB cable, so it needs to be bought separately. You can buy it in store at Big-W, Good Guys etc. or cheaper online at Dick Smith etc.

I had one paper jam, but that was easily rectified by pulling out the cartridge, detaching the paper from it, and putting the cartridge back again. Other than that, no problems.

Date PurchasedApr 2016