MPNs: 35905732, BRO-MFC-J4620DW and LED-PRB-MFC-J4620DW

See the Best Printers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Pretty much a dud...

Prints good, rarely jams. Just the loud snapping noise as it picks up paper to print. Not the ADF. I have owned multiple Brother printers and this was the first complete disappointment and dud. It will not stop me from other Brother product.

Purchased in February 2018 for $175.00.

ink cost

Works fine but goes through ink at crazy rate,even if you don't use it much which wouldn't be a problem if the the genuine cartridges weren't so dear.The cartridge price for black is about $46.00 and the colour ones area about $34.00 .If the cartridges were half those prices it would be a good machine.

Purchased in June 2017 at Noel Leeming Physical store.

Reliability

Cost of ink makes it very frustrating. We will buy a continous ink system next time.

The print quality is useful for graphics but disappointing for photos. The wireless function is useful but slow. We take a laptop to it and use the usb cable. A3 printing is effective but naturally gobbles ink.

Purchased in July 2018 at Dick Smith for $500.00.

works like a charm

It is easy to use and can be set up easily using the wifi function too. I use it on my mac and windows too. The bad part or the negative about this printer is the price of cartridges as is the case with most other printer cartridges

Purchased in February 2016 at The Good Guys for $189.00.

Reliability

Most reliable printer I ever owned

Reliable software. Doesn't introduce glitches or non usable functions.
Has the ability to print A3but not scan. Has small A4 form factor.
Cant really comment on ink usage as I allways use a CIS Continuous ink system so I never run out.
Weired squeal is a bit of a put off but it is not there all the time?
Happy to put up with that for reliability.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Stay away.. It's a rip off

Stay away.
They'll force you to buy all colour cartridges even if you want to print black and white
It's a big scam
Beware
You're going to spend full price of a printer or more on ink later.
It was tour worst experience with a printer.
Already paid $200 for cartridges not printing many pages. Stay away

Date PurchasedApr 2018

It's OK, BUT... Noisey High Pitched sound when initialising

I purchased this MFC-J4620DW 4 weeks ago, after my other MFC-J825DW Printer Head became faulty (would not print black ink). Took to local dealer and they said its too expensive to replace the print head and to replace the whole unit which I did, based on their advice. This new printer was a lot more expensive than the old one.

Luckily I brought the J825DW home and googled printer head problems and found a solution. I have managed to clean and fix the problem myself and now have back in use.

Now for this new Printer the J4620DW. I use this, but have noticed that it is very noisey and makes a high pitched sound when initialising. Not sure why this happens. I don't print a lot, and to be perfectly honest because of the noise, I send most of my print jobs to the old J825DW set up on my husbands PC. This has been a good printer and the quality of the print is about equal with the new J4620DW.

I think the new J4620DW is slightly faster than the J825DW, and it does have the benefit of printing an A3 page, which you have to load manually one at a time.

Because of the cost of Genuine Cartridges being so expensive, I have always purchased non-genuine in our J825DW and have done so for years. Never had a problem till recently. But as mentioned, have managed to clean the old print head.

With this new printer J4620DW, I have purchased one set of Geniune Cartridges, just to be on the safe side. But I will trial non-genuine to see if I have problems. The cost of non-genuine cartridges is about 1/3 of genuine. I have noted that the number of pages per cartridge on the J4620DW is twice as much s the J825DW. But I will have to wait and see is this is true or not.

So far, I have not experienced a paper jam.

This is my third Brother Printer but I think I will be looking elsewhere next time.

Hope this item helps.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Works well

This is probably my 4th or 5th Brother printer but this one is smaller than previous models though still does up to A4 duplex and can apparently do an A3 (double A4 size). The scan surface is however only A4 size so not as versatile as the previous models I owned (and used till their deaths).
It is not an expensive printer but what is most attractive to me is the Inobella ink system which is very economical. I've used generic ink products for all previous models I owned with good success and though Brother do not recommend it, the savings exceeded the cost of a new printer when something went wrong as genuine Brother ink is much more than the generic products freely available to us these days.
Brother provide some good software with it for document management and edit. They also provided a DVD with drivers etc which is good for some people but as my DVD drive clapped out, getting it from the website (driver package) was still straightforward.
People seem to have some complaints about Brother but perhaps that's because they sell so many.
Using the machine correctly means using good quality dry paper and fanning it out in several directions before loading it. This is especially important for duplex printing but nevertheless sticky paper causes most problems.
Of problems I've had with past Brother printers :-scanned so much the bulb blew (couldn't see how it could be easily replaced so replaced the machine), one just gave up with an error code that couldn't be cleared, and the most recent one was the print heads clogged up and no amount of cleaning could fix it. If the print head was easy to remove, I would have had a go at it but it isn't. At any rate, despite these things failing, I have had a very good period of use out of them so I am not at all put off by this brand. It is a bit wasteful not to have a product that could be fixed more easily as repair services here in Australia are often more expensive than the new product. I wish they were a bit more concerned with that. I find the print quality to be fairly good (set to best in the print menu, set for slow-drying paper and it helps too.
Overall these products have served me well and been good buys.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great printer, all the features we need, never failed us!

Have owned for over 12 months now, use it for Uni/ Business use. Never had a program with it. The software on the computer crashed once maybe, an update to it fixed that. But its the most reliable printer I've owned and its not exactly an expensive model. Scans great quality, prints good quality. Just what we need.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Not very good

I have always had Canon printers and been quite happy with them. My only issue has been that I can't get photos to print well. But, an old Canon started playing up after 4 years so it was time to get a new one. I was ready to get another Canon but my husband wanted to try something else. We ended up getting this Brother as he thought it would be good. But, it isn't. It makes an awful screeching noise often when it's about to print or is printing. It also can take up to 30 minutes to wake up to print things in my printer queue. And, it will just stop in the middle of printing a document. So, if I'm printing 10 pages, I might get 4 and then half a page and then nothing else. It will also just drop things off my printer queue without even having a go at printing them. Anyway, I am time poor but this thing is causing me headaches and I hope I can exchange it.... for a Canon.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Worst printer I ever owned

The quality is absolute rubbish in colour and b&w. Then to top it off it decided to not work a week before warranty expired. Eventually they discovered a supply unit, but took three attempts to get a new one sent from Sydney. It worked for a few weeks and is now unusable. I wonder why the reviews rated it so highly? Never gain will I buy a Brother!!

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Unbelievably annoying! Don't buy it!

I had (still have) an old Brother Laser Printer, black and white, USB connection. Maybe ten years old or more? It has never ever failed ... it always prints perfectly as long as you remember to replace the expensive laser cartridge. But this thing! Two months old. No proper instructions. Just stops printing, issues blank pages. Tells you to clean the print heads. Do it, it works for a while, then stops again. Turns out the ink ran out, but how are you supposed to know that? Finally found the online fix screen. Said the three colour inks had run out, the black was fine. Went out, bought new colour cartridges, put them in. Now it tell me the black needs replacing as well. Go out again to buy the black cartridge. Shop gives me wrong size. Have to go out again. Was in a big hurry to get one document printed. Missed the deadline. Lost the deal. Thanks, printer!!! Anyway ...the colour is washed out, it takes forever for data to get to the printer using the Wi-Fi connection (maybe the USB would work better but I don't dare try to find out), weird icons appear on the screen, cannot turn it off except by pulling the cord out of the wall. What was Brother thinking? Forget it! Is it another case of a great company going downhill because it is designing and manufacturing in Outer Woop-Woop? Bad plan, Brother. Will never buy another.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

What a load of scrap

This printer is useless, Everytime I go to print which is about 5 pages a month I have to go through the process of cleaning the heads, good work Brother on sucking me in to buying a printer that gobbles up paper, ink and time for no reason. Next time I will be getting a $50 special and it will do a better job.

July 10th 2017 Update: Follow up by Swamp Fox

The Brother MFC J4620DW is still a load a scrap, now I have to buy all new Print Cartridges, not bad seeing as though I never print in colour. All cartridges have been gobbled up due to the constant cleaning of the heads. Thinking about it now the way to beat Brother is that I will just use this pile of scrap for scanning and a buy a $40 Cannon special to print, it will be a lot cheaper in the long run. You are not making any more money out of me Brother and I will never buy another Brother product as long as I live.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Very Good Printer

Replaced an older Brother Printer that died. I stayed with Brother because the cartridges are readily available in the small town where I live, because it's a reputable company that I can reasonably rely on and because it was bought at the local post office so easy to return if any problems. So far, so good apart from the first time I turned it on and it didn't like it. The Brother tech advised not to turn off but I don't use it often and weeks can go by without it being used. I don't want to waste power so it gets turned off and hasn't played up since.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

MAYBE

This printer replaced a Canon which spent more of its life making noises and checking itself than printing which it did fine but used tons of ink in the process. My mission for this purchase was to choose a printer with less faff time and better ink economy. The Brother does well on these fronts but I am a little disappointed with colour print quality. Unfortunately, after only three months, the machine had a trip to printer rehab as it had an infarction requiring a couple of transplants. It is going fine again and responds well to wireless printing from the iPad. Unfortunately, Brother does not like to hear fair comment. When I was asked to do a review of this machine they rejected it because of some reservations I had. I mentioned the cost of inks and the waste of resources caused by not having refillable technology. Surprise! I could not find any reviews on their site that were anything but glowing! At least here honesty still has a place.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Very disappointed

Upon purchasing this printer, it did not turn on. We returned it to the place of purchase where they confirmed that there was an electrical fault with the printer (it was in effect "dead").

After completely unpacking and installing a second printer, it was clear from the outset that the print-outs were of poor quality. Later, we noticed that the paper tray holds a very low volume of paper, causing the need to frequently replace it. The printer is also prone to jams.

Finally, today, the printer decided to stop printing altogether! It tries to print - and even spits out a bit of paper - but the page is always blank. The printer is three months old. I have finally gotten it to print, but the typeface is barely legible.

This is by far and away the most disappointing purchase I have ever made. I normally research products in great detail but did not have the chance with this printer for various reasons.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Usually A Brother Fan, Not Now

I don't usually go to the effort of writing reviews, however I am so disappointed in this printer that I thought I would make the effort to hopefully help out others. I have had loads of brother printers and they have always been great, however this model feels cheap and nasty, clunky sounding when you remove the paper cartridge, this printer jams constantly, so frustrating and the noise it makes when it is talking the paper from the paper tray sounds like the whole thing is going to blow to pieces, it is a noisy, clunky, hunk of plastic. I do not recommend this printer, I really hope Brother improves quality in the future as this is garbage.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Was disappointed with the printer

I bought based on some internet reviews and attractive price for a printer boasting lot of features. However I am very disappointed with its print quality both B &W and colour. My 10 year old (other brand printer) was far better. Printing doc via wi-fi app jumbled up text. The colour printing is extremely dismal lacks saturation, creates shades and streaks. The mechanism for accessing LAN ports is fidgeting and won't close easily. One has to manage it with extremely caution not to break it. I didn't spent great on this printer and may be that is what I got as quality but in future I would rather spend extra $50- $60 for a better printer for home use. I will add photos to show later."

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Constant problems disconecting

Constant problems with it disconnecting from all my computers saying it was offline, etc. and having to re-configure. To top it off brother deleted my review from there website.

Functional and economic, but not as easy to use as my old Lexmark

Expected a better product than my 1st generation wi-fi Lexmark bought for $50 several years ago, but it has same functions, plus extra for printing from mobile phones etc. It is a a little less user friendly. Its used in a small home office. I used to recycle paper that was already printed on one side, but this Brother does not easily suit this without mucking around a bit. It is also not intuitive for faxing a pdf - have to muck around searching for this too. The "fax an image" function does not allow faxing a pdf, so you have to do it another way. I have had a paper jam already which was the ongoing problem with my old Lexmark. Otherwise its great, and does what I want to do. Its best qualities which I needed (cheaper models don't have) are:
1. document feeder for scanning or printing
2. automatic two-sided printing
3. A super-large black ink cartridge for the cheapest printing $/page by far than the competition. The extra cost of this model will be saved very quickly. I think it works out about 3c/page compared to 10c normally.