Cel-Fi

Cel-Fi

Excellent signal Cowan Creek area.

I installed the Cel-Fi Marine Pack unit on our 53 foot trawler. The antenna is about 6 metres above the water. I leave the unit set to “auto” and we are consistently getting 2 bars or more with Telstra. We tried it in bays where without the unit reception is almost nonexistent and we could make calls from all of them. As I write this we have 3 bars in Houseboat Bay. In Smith’s Creek and at Cottage Point (both usually terrible) we had good reception and made calls. Internet is much better, in fact I was able to run the Foxtel app on my phone as we cruised into the end of Smith’s Creek. My Wife and I are very happy with this unit.

Great little unit

Okay first of all I would not recommend going out and buying one of these repeater units until you have done some checks as to just how much signal you have in the area you want to use the unit.
In this review I am referring to the Stationary Cel-Fi Go repeater working on Telstra 3G This is the only unit I have any experience with. After searching around our property with my mobile, (Samsung S5) I found that I could just about get one bar of signal up on the roof of our house and I managed to make a phone call to our landline. This was handy as it was a convenient place to mount an antenna on a pole. After a little research I decided to purchase a Blackhawk yagi antenna which came with a ten metre length of coax cable with the appropriate connectors on each end. A male N plug for the antenna and a male sma for connection to the repeater unit.
Once all the equipment was installed my wife downloaded the Wave app on to her tablet. Using two way radios, me on the roof and my wife watching the info on her tablet we adjusted the antenna till we found the best direction for the strongest signal. We now have full bars in our house and the repeater unit is giving us service up to 100 metres in places away from our house where the unit is installed.
The unit has changed our lives, we now have mobile phone and internet service.
If you can make a call where you are planning on mounting your antenna, it will probably work for you.

Works as advertised.

Installed a Cell-Fi Go Marine kit today at lake Eildon. Worked as advertised from 1 bar to 4 bars on IPhone X on 4G. Very Happy with the system along with the boats parked next to me who also now have cell service.

Life saver in remote areas

I have the mobile version fitted to my Landcruiser, truckers edge antenna on the roof with a folding mount and the cel-fi unit under my drivers seat. In areas where the signal strength wavers between nothing and one bar I am getting 3 to 4 bars on my iPhone. I go from virtually no ability to use the internet to browsing and uploading videos of my trip to the WA goldfields.
If there is no signal at all don’t expect miracles.. 10 x nothing is nothing, but if you have even a hint of a signal this unit rocks. All my travel companions gather round my cruiser at the camp site. :)

Brilliant this has changed everything!

We only had one bar of 3G on our kitchen windowsill on a good day. We live in a old very large homestead with thick stone walls.
We now have full 4G power Throughout the house and for a good 50m or more around the outside. This brilliant system has changed everything.. We can now run our business without interruptions. Definelty worth doing.

Problems that still haven't been solved

We bought a unit for our home as we don't have strong enough signals on our phones to run our business and it doesn't work.

We have a Yagi directional antenna in a position where we get a reliable signal and facing the nearest tower but the window unit won't communicate with it. On top of that, the Window unit won't communicate with the booster unit either, no matter where in the house we put the booster.

I have tried the unit in Adelaide and it works fine, my mobile got a signal boost from three bars to five bars, but for some reason it will not work at Pt Gibbon.

I have tried to contact support many times though phone, email and helpdesk but:

- their phone line doesn't work/has been disconnected (QLD number)
- I am still waiting for a follow up email
- there has been no progress on the ticket in help desk

poor support service if I've ever seen it before......

Hi Cooper - I must apologise for the support issues you have been having. We had a system issue with ticketing that has affected a small % of tickets over the last 2 months (which we have just discovered). We are in the process of ringing our clients this week to follow up. I will escalate this in Support Department now to get your problem solved. If we cannot place your ticket, we will contact you via your Product Review profile.Hi Cooper, I understand you had a device locking issue (a requirement added by the carrier). We believe this has now been addressed but please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any more questions.

Not bad but beware of nonsense

Our business has owned about 10 units consisting of different models of cell-fi signal boosters over the years. For us the cell-fi go (stationary kit) has actually been by far the most consistent and best performing. I did note however a review in this section saying that supplier (I think most of us know who they are) claimed the reason a unit wasn't working was because of 5Ghz interference.

We were given this excuse as a reason for one of the earlier models we owned not working properly. We disproved this by turning off every other piece of transmitting equipment we had on the entire site! It made not difference at all! So if you are given this nonsense excuse as a way for them to fob you off - don't take it lying down!

Hi Rossyabroad - thanks for your feedback. One of the reasons PRO may not work in some instances is due to 5GHz link interference. When getting to the cause of problems for people this is one of the items we get them to check and turning off all transmitting equipment is what we recommend. But there are other causes and if this is not the cause of your problem then I suggest you get back into contact with the distributor to assist you to work on a solution. GO does not have any link therefore no chance of interference.

Cel Fi Go... Stands for paper weight!!!

I've had my celfi go piece of crap now for over 12 mths, its mounted in my truck that I do long haul around the country inn, I can tell you down to the white post beside the road on any HWY in the county when Signal comes in and when signal drops out, this thing was supposed to be the greatest thing sines slices bread, it's a useless piece of crap!!! I've spoken to support many times, I've sent the thing back to be checked, they say it's works fine, the thing does nothing at all. Save ya money folks, your better off using 2 cups joined with string!!!

Useless

Link drops out all the time. Support blame it on 5Ghz interference. We have no 5Ghz devices running. The unit falls over every time you try a speed test from your phone using HSDPA, total waste of time and money

Hi Telelynx - It sounds like you have a Cel-Fi PRO as there can be 5Ghz interference - this is one of the problems that can affect a small % of products. The unit should not fall down and I recommend you reconnect with Support department again.I have no more time to waste on it, unless you have a firmware upgrade, the support I've had to date has been at all helpful

Cell fi go a waste of money

The cellfi booster I bought for my car was a waste of money but I did send it back and I did get a refund.
If you want to get maxx reception you are better to buy a full built in truckfone and are cheaper.

Hi Paul - Thanks for your feedback. It is unfortunate that the product did not work for you. It is not a cure for no mobile coverage - if there is no signal nothing will work - but it does work extremely well when installed correctly, extending signal where a cradle kit will not.

Excellent product and very happy.

We have had our first unit now for a couple of months. Where there is no signal the unit still searches and has still maintained Apple Music and Spotify. Switching the unit to 3G has enabled more signal boost than running in 4G as the unit will drop in and out while searching.
Very happy with the product and the signal boost we have gained from it.
We are now looking forward to the rest of our fleet getting the Cel Fi ago units installed.

Thanks for your feedback.You are more than welcome, I know that off the back of this review and off the back of having this unit in my work ute, I have helped sell 9 in car units and 3 home based units.

excellent product now i have service in house

we had no service inside given that iam 38km out of town i only got the odd text at window . i all so have a yagi antenna which give the window unit full 5 bars not bad at all . some reps will pull up in our farm yard and cant belive they have service and them sit in there car for 5 minutes catching up on missed calls. so it will end signal out of house . the coverage unit most of the time will sit between 5 and 6 they would be a good 18 meters a part. The only gripe is why is it so EXPENSIVE? i feel that there should be more brands for sale that are approved by telstra then watch the price fall the unit is made in china like most stuff now days .You get punished for living in a bad service area . The unit i got was a demo so i didnt pay $1000 plus that is asked

Waste of money

It is the biggest peice of garbage i have ever bought. Never worked properly. The transmiter always loses its signal. It has never gotten above 2 on the indoor unit. No matter whete you put each unit spend most of its time on 0 or 1 even though the window unit has 5 bar's.. your phone will show full bars but can usually do nothing with it..

Hello Chris. Please submit a ticket to receive Technical support for your issues. There could be a fault with the unit. http://www.powertec.com.au/helpdesk/

Mobile booster did nothing

I had high hopes for this expensive mobile signal booster which claimed 9dB gain (FYI that's double, double again and double yet again) but in comparison after comparison it did not improve either voice calls or mobile data in low signal areas. To their credit, they did provide a refund but only after their CEO embarrassed himself by calling me names in an email to their sales manager which he accidentally CC'd to me!!! Not a business I'd be keen to deal with again.

Staggering poor service from Cel-Fi Powertec (distributor)

Ordered a replacement after our last unit failed (fairly often occurrence but worked reasonably well when it did work). A week after ordering and authorising payment to our credit card I have to ring up to find out why we haven't got it. I am then blamed by accounts for A:) Not paying for it already... you took my credit card dah! B:) Not asking whether they had it in stock when I ordered... Didn't stop them taking the order...
Now I am told it is weeks away and all I get is "too bad you should've asked if it was in stock" AND " If you'd checked your credit card you would have seen we hadn't charged you for it" These guys don't care about service as Telstra was stupid enough to make Cel-Fi the only authorised unit.

Hi Dave, at Powertec we always try to offer the best service possible to our dealers and customers. So we do care about service and our customers. For your situation in between you ordering and the items shipping, we ran out of stock, so we apologise for this and not notifying you sooner. Your feedback is important in helping management improve our processes. The product you ordered is in high demand, we should plenty more stock next week.You apologise for not notifying me sooner? You didn't notify me at all. I had to ring you!

Question about cel-fi

We live in a rural area in Queensland 80ks from the closest town. We get full service coverage 12ks from the house and We get service now and then but not all the time in our house but will it still work?

Hi Flick. Cel-Fi needs one bar of signal to work. With the signal dropping in and out, you would need to purchase a lpda or yagi antenna to bring the signal in from outside and to get full optimisation. Hope that helps.

Don't bother

We purchased a Cel-Fi and it hasn't made any difference to our reception! We have tried placing it in several places around the house and there is no difference. Money down the drain!
We have also contacted the company to help us with the issue and it still doesn't work. I think it has been put in the too hard basket. We paid to have our unit sent back to have a service tech look at it and send it back still not working.
On a positive note. Dave in the customer service team was very nice to deal with.

Hi Estelle..... we find that when Cel-Fi does not work, there is always an environmental cause. This could be the setup, signal quality, interference or network behaviour due to the surroundings or number of people in the area. Our technical team are dedicated to finding why your signal is not being boosted and we are here to help. I understand Dave in our office is now assisting you to find the cause.We even had an Installer come out and fit a trial antenna and this had no affect what so ever!! We have just written off the money we spent.

2 from 3 don't work

Purchased 3 units 12 months ago for farm houses and workshop, one works most of the time but still drops out for no reason and the other two barely work at all. For the price we are very disappointed. Apparently the new model is better but I'm a little reluctant to invest in them again.

Glad i purchased it

I recently purchased a Cel fi after years of trying other products which didn't work . Cel Fi was easy to set up reasonably priced i couldn't be happier thank you Cel fi your product is awesome

From zero/1 to 4 bars inside the house!

Located in rural Darwin region. We were lucky to get one bar of 3G on the windowsill in the living area and lots of dropped calls. With the cel-fi unit and an external antenna we now have 3-4 bars through the house and even 4G at times, and no more drop out. Would highly recommend and although expensive it is nice to be able to communicate with the outside world without having to go outside. The only issue I have is that even though you can turn the light off on the unit it sometimes turns itself back on for some reason (I haven't experienced any call problems but I wonder if this is related to the connection between to two units). Glad I didn't wait too long to buy this unit as it is amazing.

Thanks Kat, thank you for the great review, glad it's working well. The LCD screen can come on if the wireless link between the units drop. Next time the LCD screen comes on check to see if there is a notification on the screen.

Does this product work outside Australia as we would like to put it on an international boat?
Hi, sorry I can't really help you with that one. The unit that I have is for Telstra only as far I know it only works with Telstra in Australia and you need to be close to an area that has reasonable Telstra mobile coverage. These units only repeat and amplify a weak signal. If you are not near a Telstra mobile service area it probably wouldn't be much use to you. I do believe there are similar systems for other mobile networks Optus etc. Another major factor is the type of antenna that you use. I hope this helps. For better and more information I would suggest you talk with Telstra in Australia. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

hi its les eastham i have a nextivity celfi -rs250cu unit window unit celfi-rs250wu the booster is showing 3 bars as normal but the wifi unit does not want to connect just red flashing i rang telstra and they were no help at all the wont even look at it all they said was you need another window areail i have a 6mt pole with a yagi antena the unit has been working great for years i bought the unit of telco antenas in qld hence why telstra wont look at it do i need to buy a new unit or can this be fixed? thank you
Hi, I'm sorry but I don't think I can be of much help to you. I have no experience of the type of unit you are using. I am aware of your type of system and I have read that some people do have some problems. The system consists of two units where one unit receives the signal by being placed near a window or connected to an external antenna and then transmits it to a second unit placed in the centre of the area you want to have improved mobile coverage. I have read that many things can have an effect on the linking transmission between the units, the system can be susceptible to interference from other devices. I decided after some research to go with the system I am using which consists of a single unit, it's connected to a yagi antenna which is high up on the roof and the unit (Cel-Fi repeater) has a small internal antenna that screws on to a connection socket on the opposite end to the external antenna. I have the unit placed high near the ceiling in our house, we receive good mobile coverage both in and out side. There are many YouTube videos that demonstrate the different types of units and systems plus some forums that discuss the various issues that people are encountering. Some of these units/systems are fairly new, more info about installation and operational issues will probably become available in time. Very sorry I can't be of any more assistants to you.

We are considering installing a Cel-Fi on a yacht (60 foot mast mount for the aerial) for coastal cruising around Australia. Is there somewhere we can read or watch video reviews of this product please? Wayne