Series 4 and Series 2

See the Best Vans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

motorhome Hire

hired a Fiat motorhome in New Zealand manual box lost some holidays clutch went it had done 150,000,
so I donot think I would purchase a motorhome with this setup. we all know 150,000 is nothing for these vehicles

Purchased in February 2017.

Noise Level
Interior Design
Features
Comfort

No. Just. No.

This van sucked. My nan just got hit by one of these. She is currently in an old home and the driver just had no remorse. I've seen others drive these vans and I think it has an emotional effect on them. Like they just want to go all out insane to hit and break the law. Wouldn't suggest but I mean I can't control you so I don't really care that much just don't run over old ladies. Thanks.

Purchased in May 1987.

Lemon

Owned 2 Fiat Ducato motorhome.Purchased both new.Major mechanical issues with both.Fiat unable to keep their own vehicles mechanically sound and reliable.First vehicle had 33,000 klms second 68,000 klms.Absolutely no support from Fiat or Winnebago.Great big expensive lemon.

Purchased in October 2012.

BoughtNew
Year2012

Terrible,so many problems and fiat won’t help us , don’t buy a fiat for God’s sake DONT

Did love it
Now it’s a money pit and still cannot use it, fiat won’t help us and east west fiat haven’t a clue and keep changing things for the hell of it

Purchased in June 2013 for $125,000.00.

BoughtNew
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Have had my van at Peter Warren Warwick farm with gearbox problems bean on a tow truck twice with ge

Dave had my van at Peter Warren Warwick farm for two months know with gearbox problems bean on a tow truck twice with gearbox problems still waiting for them to fix it they told me the parts have to come from Italy might be here in two weeks never again an auto never again Peter Warren had two manuals both have done 350000 both had a clutch at about 320000ks can put up with that never again a fiat auto

Date PurchasedAug 2015
just got my fiat back from peter warren 3 days short of 4 months no one from peter warren said they were sorry about how long it took i asked how long warranty on parts they told me 12 months if something goes wrong take it up with fiat as your vehicle is out of warranty i have had no problems with the manuals stay away from autos as this must be a common problem and do your self a favor stay away from peter warren warwick farm.i had no problem with fiat australia they were very help full hired me a van to get me around if i had waited for peter warren to do something like that my business would have suffered never will i step foot in another peter warren dealer ship again

Unable to get replacement parts in a reasonable time

Purchase new Fiat Ducato Motorhome October 2017, the vehicle has developed a suspension issue January 2018 in the front RHS strut and needs replacement parts, Fiat will supply under warranty but have no stock and have ordered parts from Italy, I was told today will no be available until April, I find this unacceptable for the vehicle to be off the road for 3 months. I am also waiting for an oil filter again no Stock in Cricks Mansfield. I think I am being reasonable to expect basic consumable parts to be in stock. Its unfortunate to have these issue because the vehicle is very well appointed and good to drive.

BodyMotorhome
WheelbaseAlco Chassis
RoofMotorhome
Date PurchasedOct 2017

Piece Of Junk. Transmission Failure.

We change our fleet of 4 Vehicles with new Fiat Ducato. Initally they went OK as soon they turned to 150000 KM. All started with transmission issue. Check transmission lights on all the time and glow plug sign on, spend so much money still one of the van sitting in Service Cente from last 3 months. Unable to diagnose the issue and still no answer when they will return my van.

Very very bad experience. Wouldn't recommend anyone to buy.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Clutch slave failures x8 in Ducato 2011 long wheelbase 160

Hey Rick what model did you have we have 2011 its had 8 clutch failures. How did you get it replaced under warranty Fiat dealership can't/won't give any answers as to why it keeps blowing the slave clutch. We are to point where it is beyond ridiculous this last one did 270km and blew out. The motor is strong and never given any trouble, the paintwork is now starting to peel in a few places and has faded badly but the major issue is the clutch. Has anyone else had this same issue and how many times.

RoofHigh
Date PurchasedDec 2011

Great van

Had my old Fiat Ducato van replaced under warranty with a brand new 2017 series 6 model and I am very happy with it. Great Power, fuel economy, carrying capacity and load space. Bluetooth, handsfree, voice commands, steering wheel controls. Great to drive and handles well. Very happy with this one.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
RoofLow Roof

Faulty paint work on most vans.

This is my 3rd fiat ducato motorhome and i can't believe my paint work is falling off.. I now have spotted over 12 motorhomes with the same problem and i have finally met a person that fulled me in.
Fiat is aware of the major problem and will repair it if pushed as the fault is well known.
This guy received a full paint job after going to fiat.
We all should contact 2gb if fiat stats that they won't re spray the vehicle..
I will be on the phone tomorrow to get the ball rolling regarding my crapy stray job.

March 23rd 2017 Update: Faulty paint work on most vans.

I own a 2007 fiat Decato motorhome.
About a year ago i noticed my paint dropping off the van.
Travelling up and down the coast, i noticed more and more with the problem.
I contacted fiat and they took the photos and applied under the good will of the van and received a full respray.. The fiat dealer told me that they are aware they used the wrong paint and hasn't heard of anyone being knock back.
The word needs to be put out ..
APART of that i find the van great.
My sister's 2014 motorhome also has now received a full respray .Both Resprays cold fiat $6700.00 each so if you spot your piant falling out ! GO to fiat and complain under the good wills act and you will recieve a free respray.

Date PurchasedApr 2007

the worst van I ever drive!

junk,junk,junk....the engine warring lights staying on from new,,then loosing power for good 15-20min,been in dealer workshop so many time ,still not fixed ,every time they replace something, obviously not for free.cost my boss a lot of money.the dealer run of idea what caused the problem.
STAY AWAY OF FIAT DUCO!!!!!!

Date PurchasedApr 2009

Junk junk and junk

Electric issues all over the shop, Tin can for a clutch problems two many issues to list stay away from them crap box vehicle. One clutch at 110000 now looks like another at 27000 starter motor went twice whipper motor replace twice. Now looks like the glow plugs have never work in it.

Date PurchasedAug 2013

never out of the workshop

have had similar probs air conditioner leaking fuel alternator failure electrical failure particulate filter failure egr failure at present the vehicle has been out of action for over one month and fiat cannot find the fault also be aware that the spare wheel will cannot be lowered (the mechanism has been replace twice to no avail)

TransmissionAutomatic

Bought a Sunliner motorhome new in 2010 and chose to have it put on a Fiat Ducato.

The Sunliner part of the motorhome has been reliable, not so the Fiat. We did a radiator fan under warranty and since then an electro valve and electrical problems , repeated problems with air conditioning a cable harness a water pump, a diesel leak and now we are homeless while the gearbox has been removed with a transmission problem , maybe the clutch? The air conditioner is patched up as we also need another cable harness for that which is in excess of $2,000! Oh and the paint peeled off the cabin too. We had huge difficulties in getting any response from Fiat for the last two years until December 2015 when we were recompensed some of the money we had paid out as a good will gesture. We certainly need some good will after letters and emails remained unanswered We felt at least listened to. We had planned to live in the van for several years and travel but can't afford to keep getting it fixed so will sell it when it is fixed .

TransmissionAutomatic
As a postscript to this post after paying in excess of $9,400 for the replacement clutch , master cylinder etc and a minor service we got several hundred kilometres from the repair garage and found that the cylinders associated with the clutch that held clutch fluid and brake fluid had been leaking and we couldn't get them in Milldura so had to wait and get the clutch fluid sent to Mildura before retracing our steps to the repairer to get it fixed. We were lucky that it was their error so fixed at their cost. Fiat not interested in fact told me that it's not uncommon to need a replacement clutch at 100,000 kms! We are selling the van asap

A wonderful vehicle

Excellent driving experience. The paint peeled off the roof in 3 years, I had the roof coated with Therma Shield paint which has proven to be excellent. The vehicle has gone into limp mode three times recently and I now have to turn the ignition key 3 times before it will start. I have done 150,000 km. It handles very well. I get 10km to the litre. It is now 12 years old.

Badge(No Badge)

Motorhome-Talvor Hayman on a 2012 Fiat Ducato 160 multi jet

Quality at its best.
We purchased a 2012 Talvor Hayman mid en-suite with Fiat Ducato cab on a Al Ko chassis 26 ft long. We have traveled 42 000 km so far in all sorts of conditions from Gold Coast to Perth then onto Tassie brrr for a month before arriving back home. May I say in absolute comfort without a hiccup. The ride is divine. It is so comfortable you arrive at your destination almost refreshed. We had our first service while in Perth.
Front springs needed an upgrade to a King spring (made in Tas) as it bottomed out occasionally. We have set up to flat tow our Suzuki Grand Vitara now with a Road Master Tow system with Invisi Brake installed. The fuel economy is 10/12 liters per 100ks and isn't much different when towing. We have found when towing we feel a little more secure with reversing camera on as we can't feel the Suzuki behind us. Invisi-Brake is worth its weight in gold.
We love the Fiat it has heaps of grunt and is superbly comfortable and well designed. Looks great as well! We have had no problems with the Fiat being a front wheel drive as the traction control is awesome. It has got us out of some sticky situations with minimal effort.

10 out of 10 for us. The Talvor Hayman ticks all the boxes, ultra modern, clean lines, well designed, quality build, great appliances and plenty of storage outside and in. We are very happy with our purchase. A great team at Talvor in the service department. Steve M is a gem.

Fiat Ducato

Paint work is not satifactory does not last three years on roof and just had ringing back and forth to fiat to get it done they kept telling me it was out of warranty but is not till august 2015 . I am not the only person that has paint problems with this vehicle

Fix It Again Tony

I purchased a ducato to use as a vehicle to deliver parcels for Aus Post 4 years ago. From the time the dealer screwed me over with the delivery charge it has gone from bad to worse. From door hinges breaking regularly, the sliding side door never closing properly, seat belts wearing out, engine hoses breaking, the subframe of the front doors being having to welded up because they were splitting, the spare tyre cradle breaking, light bulbs constantly blowing, the bearing on top of the front strut has gone, and the dashboard has to be taken out to replace it and now with 183000 kms on the clock the clutch slave cylinder has gone. Normaly this would be a simple procedure, but not the Ducato, the gear box has to come out. Some of the design features of this vehicle are bewildering considering the half wits who must build them. They must use the cheapest parts they can find , push it out the door and hope for the best. I have read that the boss of Chrysler Aust, who import these heaps of crap wants to get away from the Fix It Again Tony attitude. The only way to do this is to do I what I am going to do, buy Japanese not European rubbish. I have had 2 Hiaces, one which did much more work then the ducato, one problem in five years, a starter motor replaced under warranty. The ducato is lucky to go a month without something going wrong. I would like to warn anyone thinking of using this vehicle as a courier vehicle, you will have to buy 2, so hopefully you will have one to drive while the other is in the mechanics, that is of course if you don't have to wait weeks for parts to be imported from Italy.

Service availability

If you live in the Canberra area don't expect much in the way of sevice or repairs to the Fiat Ducato. It is currently a six week wait!! Next nearest service centre is Sydney - just what you need if you are broken down.

Automatic gearbox problems,longevity of Fiat components.

March2015 AT 77000KM,Fiat Chrysler dealer took 3 days to diagnose leaking clutch slave cylinder problem,with Fiat technical dept help.Took vehicle to an independent transmission repairer,who knew all about the fault,as they repair on a regular basis for the local Fiat dealer.Took a week to repair,at a cost of $5300,inc. replacement of clutch and master cyl.,engine and transmission had to be removed and replaced.So total cost inc. tilt tray$275,and accommodation ,approx $7000.Replacement parts were the same as failed ones,so one can presume this has to be done every 80,000km or so.

3 months previously transmission accumulator had failed,cost inc repair and tilt tray $2000.,a year before throttle
control failed cost $1500.Rang Fiat commercial consumer line,professed no knowledge of the problem.If Fiat want to succeed in this country,they need to recognise and rectify their problems,as other manufacturers do,and also be better in dealing with customer complaint and problems.It should be noted that this vehicle travels from Cairns to Victoria once a year,and is not used as a car, ie the clutch part of the transmission has not been used extensively, so it can be presumed that it would not have lasted this long if being driven as some vehicles would.

July 20th 2016 Update: Follow up to my previous experiences, automatic transmission problems

I was eventually contacted by a very helpful person from Fiat head office, who eventually refunded approx. $2100 towards my costs. Aprox 12,000km later, at 90000km, the master cylinder for the cluch operating system, on the automatic transmission failed, putting me to further cost and inconvenience. So for a vehicle which has still not travelled 100,000km, I have to say this is a very poor performance.

BodyVan
A further follow up my automatic transmission problems.Firstly a correction,it was the small resevoir,for the clutch operating system that failed,at 90,000km,not the master cylinder,it was leaking fluid,and had to be replaced.Luckily towing was not required this time,but i lost two days,and had 400km of extra travel.It should also be mentioned that the replacement transmission accumulator,failed at approx.80,000km,eventually after much dicussion with Fiat the total ammount was refunded!However,this episode caused me a further delay of approx 4 weeks,as the dealer was so so busy!!!The huge time delay was because the Fiat dealer thought that the whole engine/trasmission had to be removed again,to replace what they thought was components that had failed again,ie either the clutch or slave cylinder.At the last minute,as the transmission was about to be removed,the second failure of the accumulator was finally diagnosed!So my conclusion is that,Fiat dealers are lacking in training,with regard to diagnosing problems,and seem to lack the capacity,and resources to service warrenty and other problems,in these vehicles.I should add that i do not include the longer term Fiat dealers,who have been asociated with the Fiat product,prior to their involvement with Chrysler,These i have found very knowledgable,helpful,and go out of their way to get you mobile again.Unfortunatly it is not always possible to breakdown,or have the option of getting to these dealers.Further follow up 92,000 km,Now transmission warning light comes on intermittently,when this happens all gears,are lost/unavailable,ie no drive.You have to coast to a stop,and hope that ,at some time ,after stopping and starting the engine,you can get drive back again!Fiat dealer,checked system with analiaser,and yes fault codes are shown,but nobody can say where the fault was!So one drives off,and hopes,it may have been due to,perhaps a faulty connection. I have to say this doesnt instill much confidence, or faith in the vehicle,wondering if this will occur,in a remote location,resulting in a very heavy bill for a tilt tray.All,of this,and the above for a vehicle,brought new,and with regular,Fiat sevicing,that has yet to cover 100,000km.Perhaps,its time for Fiat,to back its product,and maybe rework,this troublesome area.I should add,that Fiat did pick up,the last bill for the analysis.A further follow up to my saga of owning a Fiat Ducatto.I have now sold the vehicle after owing it from new,after exactly ten years.Please see the previous details i have written before. Apart from routine servicing, and tyres ect.,I have spent in excess of $10,000,this does not include,towing and accommodation costs,some of this was offset by an ammount of $2255,reimbursed by Fiat,for a vehicle that had only travelled 110,000km! During the time that the vehicle was being repaired,whilst travelling, I spent approx six weeks,that I have had to pay for,a not inconsiderable extra cost.,and inconvenience. The Fiat dealers,that I took the vehicle for repaires,were always so busy!and in one instance,it took a month before,they finally diagnosed,that a part that had previously been replaced,had failed again.They had wanted,and thought that the engine/transmission had to be removed again to replace parts that had also previously been replaced. I had thought on purchasing the Fiat,that it was a company that not only knew how to build reliable vehicles,but stood by them and provided back up,how wrong I was! In conclusion,I have to say,that this is by far the worst vehicle i have ever owned,not to mention costly.Fiat should stand by their product,especially if the want to remain as a base vehicle for the recreational market,and provide backup throughout Australia, train their dealers, and make sure that they have sufficient resources and capacity to service the vehicles that have been sold.