Ford Focus

Ford Focus Questions & Answers

LW Mk2, LW Mk1, LS, etc...

85 questions from our users

peter

peterasked

Focus LW Mk1 (2011-2012)

anyone had issues with this model? looking to buy one as long as it's not a lemon ,and it is manual

Jenny I.
Jenny I.

Hi Peter, I probably can't make a comment on a manual MK1 but trust me if you think of buying an auto, my advise would be to RUN as fast as you can away from it. I have had nothing but trouble with the gearbox in mine and have just had it fixed for the 9th time, so fingers crossed they got it this time. Good luck but buy another brand.

Serenasked

Focus

Hi I have a 61plate ford focus titanium I have a heating problem it works in all areas but to my feet why what could it be ?

bearcat91
bearcat91

Do you mean 19? IF IT IS the current model there are buttons between the temp dials for upper and lower air con outlets. Press for on or off.

Seren

no its 2011 and yes to change were u want the air to come out works but no heating comes out at the feet area

Sal

Salasked

Focus LV (2009-2011)

Diesel auto model. Does this have the transmission problem?

Jett B.asked

Focus LW Mk2 (2012-2015)

After washing my 2013 Ford Focus Manual with around 75,000kms, 2.0L Petrol. I started the car, let it idle for a bit, then reved it slowly to around 3000rpm. After releasing the accelator the engines reves died down and the engine was shuddering and shaking before it stalled. After the engine stalled there was a noticeable smell coming from the engine. Let it sit for a few minutes and drive it back into the garage. Get back in the car around an hour later as I needed to go out and leaving my estate which is quite steep, travelling up the hill in second gear like I usually do and the engine just starts revving up and down, it felt like I was jumping on and off the accelator, got to the point where the engine felt like it was about to konk out, mind you this was having my foot flat on the accelator while this was happening. So I decide to keep driving to the destination and haven’t had problem since, around a month ago it happened. I did have the fuel tank recall done around a week before this so maybe it could have been something to do with that? Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues. All comments welcome.

Morris S.
Morris S.

mine has 40000km and it shudders and wont reverse.Ford will not cover you for parts and labor.google it heaps of people have issues

Jett B.

I don’t have an auto, not the same problem!

Paul F.

Paul F.asked

Focus

Can you help me? I have a Ford Focus ghear 1.6 do you no we’re the crankshaft senor is in the engine and do have pictures of we’re in engine

Krishasked

Hi Guys,
I am comparing between a ST line and Hyundai I30 N line premium. Both are equally packed with features and looks good. Question though, why we don't see many Focus on road . The newere one looked very upmarket as I have a 2018 golf comfortline and its at par in built quality. Hyundai felt very plasticky though.

Hyundai I30 is the second best seller after obvious leader Corolla, but Ford is down to 150 cars compared to 1400 from Hyundai I30.

can someone through some light on how is their experience with the 2020 ST line ? Any issues that I should be aware of ? Even car reviews online say its a very nice car to drive, but dont see any on road.

Thanks in advance.
Srini

Cameron M
Cameron M

I would 100% go with the Focus. The older models did have issues but the ST-Line is a completely new car and is really good. It it’s lots of fun to drive, handles beautifully. In Europe, specifically the UK, the Focus is the second best selling car and the i30 is not very common at all. A friend also has an ST-Line and loves it, he praises it for the handling too. The three cylinder sounds particular good.

Krish

Thanks Cameron. I Know, ford is a top seller in UK. so this is just an Aussie market thing and nothing wrong with the car as such? And importantly, I have heard a lot of compliant about Ford dealer ship. The last thing you need is a service issue. And hopefully ford doesn't pull the plug on Focus just like it did in the US.

Hope to hear from a owner who has owned it atleast for a year now.

AdeH

AdeHasked

2014 focus S not starting
Ford said it will Take 4 hours to diagnose
Does that sound right?

Carminaasked

Focus

Hi All, just purchased a demo 2019 Ford Focus St-Line Wagon as it looks siiiiick. I previously owned a 2014 Trend Ford Focus which had the dual clutch issue however I went to market and this new focus just ticked all my boxes from affordability, safety features and looks. Ford has looked after me during my focus lemon saga so I was happy enough to invest in another focus but obviously there's a level of uncertainty there. Has anyone purchased the ST-Line Focus had any issues and would be curious to hear how it's drives? Some comments on car reviews about the hesitant gear change and is this something that people have noticed?
Thanks!

Richard

Prolly good thinking to fire this out against the different product review listings; for the Focus they're a bit behind on models. Anyway, you should have my answer against the ST listing. Feels like there's been a bit of an upgrade in the latest model - just my gut feeling - so I don't think you have a real concern. Impressive that you're hanging in after a bad experience tho (at least you're not buying a Hyundai LOL).

Carmina

Yeah after having that lemon I always said I wasn’t going to buy another ford but they’ve been very good at addressing the issues and my partner and I just fell in love with the space, features and the way the ST-line drove! Shame we don’t get the same baseline as the European ST-Line (some real cool specs there we’re missing). I’d rather have issues with a car and know that the dealership will handle my concerns accordingly than get crap customer services elsewhere. I was close to getting a small SUV and have checked out other cars but they just don’t feel fun to drive at all! And Yeah I did check Hyundai out but wasn’t impressed with the interior!

Brian Coombe
Brian Coombe

I've a near new ST Line, and upgraded from previous model. It's quite amazing to drive, and the interior is so functional. It's in the blue, and it turns heads. On the transmission, it does on occasion hesitate, but only at low speed. It doesn't worry me, there's so much more to enjoy.

Carminaasked

SA (Wagon) ST-Line (2018-2021)

Hi All, just purchased an demo 2019 Ford Focus St-Line Wagon as it looks siiiiick. I previously owned a 2014 Trend Ford Focus which had the dual clutch issue however I went to market and this new focus just ticked all my boxes from affordability, safety features and looks. Ford has looked after me during my focus lemon saga so I was happy enough to invest in another focus but obviously there's a level of uncertainty there. Has anyone purchased the ST-Line Focus had any issues and would be curious to hear how it's drives? Some comments on car reviews about the hesitant gear change and is this something that people have noticed?
Thanks!

Richard

I'm driving the latest one (literally a couple of months old) and it's awesome - I would say the best Ford I've driven and I've driven all sorts over the past 20 years. Very responsive and powerful. Any auto gearbox will have some hesitation on change while the engine develops power and this is pretty quick in the Focus; trust me I'm a lead-foot :) (Not like the eco-sport which was like put your foot down and wait a couple of seconds for the rubber band to wind up)

Carmina

Thanks Richard! This puts me more at ease as there’s not a lot of feedback on the st-line specifically in Aus. I’m picking up my car next week so I’m very excited to properly drive it!

theo d.

theo d.asked

Focus LW Mk2 (2012-2015)

Good day. My headlights dont want to go on . High beam and parks are fine. Fuze inside is also fine .Where is the relay for the headlights? Ford focus mk3

David B.

Theo, I think you'd best find a reliable auto electrician. It will probably save you a lot of time and frustration. Your local Ford dealer might be worth a quote, and remember you don't need to have it fixed there if it will be too expensive. Sorry I can't help more.

Andrew K.

Andrew K.asked

Focus LZ (2015-2018)

I have just purchased a2018 Focus sport with only 3200kms on the clock 2 days ago. Today i took it for about 1 hours drive today and every time I applied the brakes from about 70kms per hour i could hear a noise coming from either the tyres and or the brakes .Its a hard noise to explain, i suppose it sounds like the brakes are grating with no vibration felt .The noise can even be heard over the sound system. Can someone enlighten me of the problem if possible.

Oranges
Oranges

Hi Sorry have not ever had this problem. I run my tyres on 32, don't know if that makes a difference. But it begs the question how did you get a 2018 model with only 3200kms? I run my car mostly on 70/80/100 km speed limit roads and have never experienced this in 2 yrs.

David B.

Hi Andrew. I understand your situation, as I Once bought a second hand lemon Tarago ( usually reliable) for our growing family. Anyway, my Focus sedan (not a sport hatch like yours) hasn’t displayed your problem over the city or country (up to 110km/h) roads. If you’ve taken it off sealed roads you might have grit in your brakes, but this should disappear. Perhaps extreme braking at high speeds could bind this grit to the discs or pads? If the 3,200 km was extreme driving, the discs and/or brake pads could be worn already. Did you thoroughly check the history of this car before purchase? Could it have been rebuilt from wrecks at a chop shop? Has it had a front end crash, either front on or side on? Have suspension and brake components been built up using incorrect parts? Get your car checked by your RAC in your state (the usual pre-purchase test) if you didn’t do it pre-purchase, as it’s worth the money. Find a reliable front end specialist - it costs nothing for an inspection. A good Ford dealer like my local Etheridge Ford in Ringwood has mechanics that are experts (don’t be shy of a dealer, they know their cars) and could answer the above questions. I think this is actually the place to start, and could save you heaps of money. I hope you get this solved. I’m interested to hear the result.

Rebecca

Rebeccaasked

Focus

I have a ford focus 2006 , it was revving high and on it's own too , I had a scan put on it and it said throttle body so I purchased a new one and had it put on and hasn't solved anything it's still revving like crazy off n on by it's self ???

Michael
Michael

I'm definitely not a mechanic, but my Mark II Focus (2.0l) experienced all manner of shenanigans (extremely irregular idling, etc) due to a vacuum leak from a broken hose.

A leak after the throttle body would result in abnormally high idle, but the engine can also get very confused if the leak is after the sensor that measures air quantity. Trick will be to identify which hose is the culprit. If you're unlucky it's a hose behind the intake manifold. You might need a smoke machine...

tla

tlaasked

Focus LW Mk2 (2012-2015)

is there a factorty design fault in this car , my heatercore blew coolant into front drivers side .Carpet is saturated with coolant.USA have recalled focuses to fix asap this ways two days ago.Either the hoses are faulty or the whole heatercore itself.

mahesh r.

mahesh r.asked

Focus LW Mk1 (2011-2012)

Car is having jerks during moving and sudden acceleration And no acceleration during the start of driving

Mark P.

Mark P.asked

Focus LW Mk1 (2011-2012)

Are dealerships still addressing the problem of powershift transmissions, and what was the outcome of the class action against FORD . Do i still have cause to have transmission fixed. Thanks for any help MARK.

Julio B.

Julio B.asked

Focus LW Mk2 (2012-2015)

Hello How Difficult is to replace the heater core on my FocusLW MkII. And if this procedure is explained in the workshop manual.Thanks

James S.

James S.asked

Focus LS (2005-2007)

Does this model have a timing chain or a timing belt

Berty
Berty

timing Chain

Glenn H.

Glenn H.asked

LZ (Hatchback) Trend (2015-2018)

Is there any issue with the Lz 2015 manual gearbox? Has there been any recalls over this gearbox?

Belinda
Belinda

Sorry Glenn, I don't know, my Focus is an auto, it's great, quick and responsive.

Ian
Ian

I have a 2017 focus sport auto LZ
It's a standard torque converter gearbox. No issues what so ever. Previous models with the PowerShift transmission were a problem.
45000klms on the clock. No squeaks or rattles. It's just the same as I drove it off the lot.
Cheers

Arthur denhollander

Arthur denhollanderasked

Focus LW Mk2 (2012-2015)

I am thinking of purchasing a 2015 focus LW Mk2 diesel turbo , what if any are the problems with this model, as I had an Ambient 2012 which had 4 clutches replaced, so nervous about purchasing above vehicle, any suggestions welcome

Trudy M.
Trudy M.

Run... Dont buy one is my advice to you...
It is a gamble to buy a ford focus and one i woukd not ever take again or suggest anyone to make...

Mine is basically a garden gnome a decaration for the complex i reside in

thread
thread

I heard the Focus diesel had a wet clutch and did not have problems like the dry clutch model used for the petrol Fiestas and Focus's from the 2012-2014 era.

tashah__

tashah__asked

Focus LT (2007-2009)

Im looking at buying a 2008 Ford Focus TDCi LT Manual with 117k, ive seem alot of problems with the petrol and auto focus, can anyone shine some light on reliability of the tdci manuel

Ford Focus