Ford Transit

Ford Transit

VO and VM

A great reliable and economical transportation.

My transit was coverted ito a camper and one a year I tour Europe for aproximately 30,000 Km.
It has 286,000 Km and had no major breackdown. The engine 2.2L Diesel 140HP is fuel efficiently 6.2 L/ 100Km. Doesn't consume any oil between changes ( 15,000 Km ). I use only 100% Synthetic oil 5W 30.
I had to replace the left hub bearring. I will replace the 4 injectors and the EGR valve to improve the emission and to stop the slight black smock on shifting gears.
It is a very reliable vehicle and drives comfortable. The turning radius is not tight due to the front wheel drive and a the long wheelbase. The passenger door fails to lock sometimes.

Purchased in June 2008 at Privet sale.

Noise Level
Interior Design
Features
Comfort

Great Tradie Van

This is a great Van, there is room for all your tools you can pretty much customise the back with however you need to work. Gets good fuel mileage too and is super comfortable to drive.

Purchased in March 2016 at Private Sale.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Older Ford Transits better than new ones

I have a Ford Transit Winnebago 2001 and its been fantastic. I'm the 3rd owner and the vehicle has performed very well. Travelling around Australia, if I do need anything incl servicing, all mechanics know Ford. And parts are easy to get.
All the bad reviews are referring to newer models.
Mine is 2001 - yes its 18 years old, but things were built differently back then, better quality = built to last.
I wanted to put this here to balance out the bad reviews. Keep in mind, people are more likely to spend time writing a bad review than a good one. It gives them a vent. I would buy an older Ford Transit chassis again, just the older models. They go forever.

BodyWinnebago
Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great van, terrible technology

10,000 km 12 moinths
Van and functional stuff is great
Centre console is straight out of the *early* 2000s
I'm 185cm, and can't reach the radio etc from the driving position
SYNC technology
SatNav is useless (prompts -after- the turn in city situtions) - now using phone and TomTom
Voice control is laughable (but it doen't understand laughs or swearing)
Radio is dangerous to use while driving (illogical controls)
Reverse camera cuts out if a call comes in!
Don't park on a slope - rear-up with <20% tank. Won't start!

There's much more - I wouldn't buy another one until it's fixed.

Badge290
Engine Size2.0L Turbo diesel
WheelbaseMedium
TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedSep 2017

absolutely pain in the Ass

I bought my transit 2nd hand in year 2012, semi-auto transmission, turbo diesel, with 150K km on clock. I serviced this car every 10K Km as required.
2013 fuel pump failed, $3500 for a new fuel pump, altogether $5000 to fix, 2 weeks can not do business.
2014 sterling power fluid leaking, $200 fix. Water pump leaking, $600 replace.
2015 car roof leaking, rain water comes in, because of paint off and rust, $500 to fix.
2017 alternator failed, $600 replace.
2018 3rd of July, loud and sharp noise from gear box while driving on a high way. I really feel like I am going to die. I will never forget that moment.

Please do not buy a ford transit, cost too much money to repair, waste too much time on waiting. And most importantly, may cost your life. I can not tell you what van is good, but ford transit is absolutely not an option.

TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedAug 2012

82000 km and needs new motor

Five years old, country 82000 kms, with no warning shudder shudder shudder engine gone, Ford quotes $10000.00 to fix, that's a bit of bad luck. What's the point in having something great to drive if it doesn't work.and work it is supposed to do, now it's off the road for as long as it takes, and I do my deliveries in a wheelbarrow?

Date PurchasedMar 2013

Wouldn’t buy another ford.

2.2 litre tdi powering a 2700kg van? That should send alarm signals off already.

The good:
-$100 to fill up and lasts over 700km
-relatively cheap
-quiet

The bad:
-Sensors on everything
-hard to work on
-Parts are very expensive.
-side door no longer locks, got mechanic to replace the actuator at a cool $700 for the part.
-issues with the egr valve, rang the dealership and they want to pull the gearbox off to replace the valve.
-issues with timing belt.
-not even 10 years old and I’ve got more rust than my 1981 Holden gemini. Some holes bigger than a 50c piece and I’m 100km from the ocean.
-exhaust so rusty the whole thing will need replacing vin the next 2 years I’d say
-constantly changing gears. Easy to stall
-currently at 220,000km and doubt it’ll make it to 350,000km.

F100’s are still going today no problems. My ford Louisville is very simple and very reliable. Modern fords? No thanks.

In a sentence:
-garbage, wouldn’t recommend the transit to any contractor.

WheelbaseMedium
Date PurchasedJul 2017

Not Happy Ford

I have enjoyed the two years of owning this vehicle. But at 70,000km, the clutch has gone including gear box. Ford Customer Fleet Care has not been helpful at all. I've been without my vehicle for 5 weeks and still waiting on parts. And with this being my work vehicle which I work out of every day, it becomes Very disturbing. I know we live in North Queensland but we do have Daily Air Freight Services. I would not recommend a Ford due to lack of service from Customer Care plus the fact of it's age and such major problems at such low Km.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Never again

Must be the worst van in the world! Everything has gone wrong - timing chain jumping- rear wheel seal leaks- water pump- vacuum pump - hydraulic clutch pump- belt tensioner- clutch- many more things. Parts are extremely expensive and ford charge 3 times more than aftermarket products. Every mechanic I've been to hates these vans.

Date PurchasedJan 2006

149000 and oil in cooling system. Not the head, but the oil cooler. Still $5000 damage

I had oil in cooling system at 149000. Initial thought that it was a blown head gasket. Worked out it actually was the oil cooler failing internally. Because hoses, temp meter, radiator and water reservoir were all contaminated, they had to replace the lot. To change oil cooler, the gear box had to come out. All and all a $4900 bill. Despite several flushes to get the oil out of the system, oil is still coming loose and float in the reservoir after trips. So for months I will have to clean the reservoir.

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Perfect!!! Just need tow bar and back seat

Just need to know can I fit a back seat to my 2007 model vm ford transit, it's a work model with no windows it does have plug holes where something can go in I think. It's says TRW 19 on the plug hole area? Is that a code for a seat or anything

Badge330
WheelbaseShort
Date PurchasedMar 2016

Transit motorhome

Ford Tourer Motorhome about 6.5 mtrs long with high top roof and a 6 speed manual gearbox. This vehicle whether it be a motorhome or a work vehicle is very well laid out ergonomically and very satisfying to drive insofar as seat comfort and response is concerned.
Very well appointed dashboard and heaps of glove boxes/storage areas and an auxillary plug for your ipod, along with strereo and cd player and a folding top table as part of the dash top cover...great idea when parked at the beach or in the rain having fish and chips or just a cuppa.
Great on fuel with the T140/350 4 cyl. turbo diesel motor. Quiet like a Rolls Roece down the freeway, what a fabulous engine this one. Over 12,000 klms road trip no oil or water use at all, just kept performing. This was a 2007 model too. Highly recommend this vehicle for anyone looking for a van or motorhome, they come in about 4 sizes.
Pat

Date PurchasedNov 2013

blown head gasket problems

Purchase Vm Cab Chassis new in 2010 has been a great vehicle, allways regularly serviced with lots of country driving. Just one concern about been told that they can blow a head gasket or worse around 150k t0 180k . My just hit 152k and guess what has happen, a blown head gasket or worse. Has anyone else heard of this or had this problem. deciding whether to sell once repaired ?.

Date PurchasedJul 2010
conclusion cracked head, only 1 in Australia at that time and 5 weeks to repair and $8500

Deliberate engineering of products so they only last for the warranty period.

Hi i'm in Perth WA and have a similar problem. I spent $5000 in september 2015 (6 months ago) to have the noisy thrust bearing replaced which included a complete genuine for clutch kit, new flywheel and all. Now its in at ford because the teeth on the starter motor are rooted and again they are installing new clutch kit and now starter motor to at a cost of $4330 so just on that aspect $9330 and the transit has only done 113 000 km. Ford are telling me its not covered by parts warranty because i didn't use a certified ford dealership. Crap, the chap that done it is a professional mechanic that i have used for 20 years and he has reciept to prove he used genuine for parts.
This is unacceptable and a result of the deliberate engineering of products so they only last for the warranty period. This is deliberate exploitation and blatant theft. I;m sick of it, i bought a brand new 2009 Transit for 48000 so i wouldn't have these problems.
I'll take this to court if i have too.

piece of ^%&*

My partner has a 2008 2.4 turbo diesel and we have spent thousands on this piece of $%^$. I have come on here to see if anyone else has had their drive chain (timing chain) snap on them. We need as many people to come forward as possible. If you are one of many please message me

TransmissionManual

Timeing chain tensioner failure.

Ex-rental 6-berth. Engine died after 13 months ownership and 10000klms use. Seemed like a good buy at $55000. Just spent $14000. On new engine, clutch and injectors (fitted). Expensive when they go wrong. Timing chain tensioner fault is well known. Word of warning. Have it checked and replaced. Would not buy again.

Badge290
Body6-berth motorhome.

Great van

i owned a transit VG for 12years and replaced it with a 2011 VM with 200,000 Klms on clock, yes a lot of K's for a 2011 model, but theses were highway klm's carting eggs, this is a excellent van, looks new, motor is very powerful, storage departments all over the van which is really handy, 1st gear is a bit slow, but wynds up after that, although the turbo is noisey, i have not replaced anything yet at 230,000 Klm. i did look hard for a van like this at the right price $23,000 on the road, i would not but anything lest that 2012 model now, otherwise you may inherite other peoples problems, and have it checked out by a accredited mechanic !!! i want a sprinter but cost too much, This van was a great choice and so far so good.

Disappointed With Gearbox

Gear selection problems vehicle into dealer Launceston TAS 5 days ago, feedback non existent on diagnosis, had to follow and chase them continuously. 5 days no parts ordered no decision made from ford Australia on warranty claim. Disappointed as this is a front line vehicle for our company. Come on dealer and Ford Australia get your act together. Simply not good enough!

Great little work horse

Vehicle inspection by mechanic well worth $$$
2007 2.4 litre diesel swb van which has done 100km since purchased.
Have replaced waterpump. I keep it serviced at 10km intervals.
A pleasure to drive, zippy little machine, economical and handles couriering just fine.
Stepped out of a VW crafter and prefer my transit.

Badge330
WheelbaseShort
TransmissionManual

Tyre wear due to fault Ford can't seam to detect.

At just over 17000km I had to replace the front Tyres on my Jumbo Transit, the wear was down to the metal on the front tyres on the inside on the off side wheel and not far behind on the near side.
The ford dealership I purchased it from are trying hard to correct the fault but Ford Australia don't seam able to help.
I bought this van new in good faith and feel gutted as it is off the road to much be analysed but to date there is no remedies , fixes from Ford.
I picked a Ford Transit jumbo for its economic value and load carrying rating. On the surface the fixed price servicing is good but after you have had problems you begin to wonder if it is at the cost of something else.
The van has a great potential but only if Ford get there finger out and do as there adds say and make people happy to own a Ford.

WheelbaseLong Jumbo