5.0 from 1 review

See the Best Action Cameras in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Very affordable and very capable not-quite-4K action-cam.

Wanted a GoPro action camera without spending a small fortune on something that could disappear into the deep blue sea or over the horizon attached to a faulty quadcopter. There are numerous cheap action-cams available on-line and many, like the GoPro, advertising 4K video. However, 4K video is nice to watch, but a hassle to provide fast memory for and can take ages to edit - huge files to manage.

I watched a few YouTube reviews, particularly Techmoan's unbiased assessment with downloadable sample clips, and decided the Git2 was the best of the bunch. I ordered the Git2 Pro pack from China with a dual battery, charger, various mounts, wrist strap remote, etc. plus free postage (total ~$175), and it all arrived in 6 days. The Git2 has the advantage over many of its cheap rivals in being the same size and button configuration as a GoPro Hero series, so it not only fits in the same waterproof casing, all the other GoPro mounting accessories fit as well.

The 1080p/60fps video isn't quite as sharp as 4K, but the with the digital gyro stabiliser switched on, it takes very smooth clear action shots without any annoying shake. There are numerous other setting options, all done via a small LCD screen on the back, from time lapse to motion sensing to G-switch (a feature useful when it's used as a dashcam).

With over $300 saved by not buying a 4K GoPro Hero, I have been able to afford a pile of accessories and a case to put them in. And should it fall in the ocean and my new floaty handle doesn't float, I'm still ahead at the price.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

After a year now, what is your opinion of the Git2? Yours was the non-pro version? 2K version @24fps, 170deg lens, Panasonic sensor? Looks like they are ~$90 now. What did you compare the video quality to? GoPro Hero 4 or 5? I'm looking for good motion compensation/gryo when recording video. My last one was a Hero 3+, very bouncy on helmet mount.
Presently away and can't reference the specs on mine, but it was a Git2 with the (pre-90°?) wide angle lens option. I use 1080p at 60fps for excellent results in and out of water. I've had a Hero (4?) owner view my videos last week and he's impressed but a bit upset at the cost of his choice. While I like his Hero's touchscreen, I get by using the buttons, saving $300 - $400 for other things.

CategoryAction Cameras