Black, White, Silver
See the Best Action Cameras in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for GoPro? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Luke H
Luke HSouth East Queensland, QLD

Constantly freezing up no matter what card, settings, firmware you use!

GoPro? More like a NO GO!!! The Hero Black 7 is the biggest failure in the company's history. Can't get a refund so am stuck with this paperweight. No matter the settings, brands new Sandisk Extreme card, updated firmware etc and it just freezes up after 2 to 60sec on every video shoot. The files come back partially recorded, the back screen goes black, it has been plagued with this since it was brand new. GoPro should give everyone a replacement Hero 8 or 9 after this massive rip off of a failure. Seems that 99% of the Hero 7s do this. So frustrating to miss so many shots. Not worth a single dollar.

Purchased in June 2019 for $429.00.

Craig P.
Craig P.Sydney, NSW

Whilst great when it works, seldom does

This is my second Go Pro, 4 and now 7. My first seven refused to charge after about 2 months (frustratingly failing when I wanted to record my daughter's first ever scuba dive), replaced with same. Constantly losing connectivity with my phone app, buttons freezing, transfer from camera to phone is never easy.

Purchased in August 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $299.00.

Damon B.
Damon B.Perth, WA

Absolute Garbage

This camera is the biggest piece of joke iv ever owned. Always has one of 5 problems every time i go to download the data from it. Constantly freezing and buttons unresponsive.

Purchased in January 2020 at JB Hi-Fi.

Pissedoff
Pissedoff

REFUND MY MONEY YOU SCAM ARTISTS

I bought the new hero9 a month ago, its faulty and this dodgy company gopro refuse to accept my return request, make it damn near impossible to contact them, and have ignored countless emails, posts and call back requests. I want my money back, its ILLEGAL to sell faulty products and not refund them

Purchased in January 2021 at www.gopro.com for $799.00.

Matt
MattGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great unit but software Is crap

I love the GoPro, it's just a shame the app software on your phone or computer that talks to your GoPro is crap, I've had many a frustrated moments connecting and disconnecting via Bluetooth, it's trash. Otherwise the unit itself does what it was advertised to do.

Purchased in August 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $420.00.

Noskie
NoskieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless thing

Keeps turning on after I've turned off, gets hot and battery discharges on its own.
Malfunctions often, battery only lasts short time .buttons hard to press, photos are good when it's working.
It's going in the bin . I've wasted enough time on it.

Purchased in October 2019 for $545.00.

1098S
1098SPerth, WA

Room for Improvement

I use this camera mounted on a motorbike. The video quality and stabilisation is very good but it has a number of shortfalls: 1) For the $400 or so you pay these cameras should come with more mounting options instead of making them additional cost "accessories" 2) Wind noise is atrocious and the user has to go to extra expense for foam covers etc to ameliorate it 3) Although GPS is always "on" on the camera, when the recordings are downloaded to GoPro Quik (which is hopeless editing software, it inevitably reports that no GPS data was captured. Not good enough as a package.

Purchased in June 2020 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $399.00.

JinxD
JinxD

Gopro no more

I had a gopro 3black for years, was great till it stopped charging, replaced it with a hero7 black which stopped after about a month, it was replaced and stopped working soon after. Then JBHiFi upgraded it to the 8 for a few dollars more. I am now on my 3rd hero 8. All this has happened within about 14 months. They run that hot now when using them, even sitting on the front of my motorbike with the air cooling it down. This latest one is just starting to not turn on but it hasn't locked up yet. When it died which I'm expecting soon I will be getting a refund and looking at another brand. Gopro is no more for me.

Purchased in January 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $599.00.

Other Action Cameras

Go Pro accessories/company fail big time

Purchased in November 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $300.00.

Joel
Joel

Flaky

Bought in October 2019. Have managed to capture some great moments. The interface is quite good too, allowing for astrophotography, as well as long exposure shots when paired with ND filters. Stabilisation is superb.

However, battery life and software glitches have let this model down (as a long time GoPro user, same story, different model). Sometimes it freezes, other times the battery runs low for no reason. Don't even bother with the app / Bluetooth connections.

Purchased in October 2019 for $400.00.

Len
LenPerth, WA

Great images poor user interfaces

Purchased in December 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $595.00.

nick
nickGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Poor quality - Unreliable

After one year of light use, this camera cannot record properly. For a full charge, it records for about 5-10 minutes and then stop. On restart, it shows a message saying the file is repairing and turn off again. Restart again, the battery is down to 3%.
I plugged it to the PC for the whole night and the battery is still 3%.
On viewing the recorded clips, the image quality is terrible and frozen, only sound available.
I would not recommend this product.

Purchased in September 2018 at Harvey Norman for $598.00.

Ben
BenSydney, NSW

Great when it works, but far too unreliable

I've had the GoPro Hero7 for nearly a year now and it's been a frustrating experience. It fails more often than it works. It's extremely disappointing to take it out, if you're lucky you'll be able to actually shoot some footage without the camera locking up (only fix is to pull the battery), but there's an even chance you'll get back home and most of the footage will be gone.

I've had a few GoPro cameras over the years, this is my last.

Purchased in November 2018.

Kylie
KylieKatherine, NT

Great little camera

Purchased in September 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $499.00.

Jonny
JonnySydney, NSW

Nice video but buggy

Purchased in November 2018 at JB Hi-Fi.

Read more reviews - page 2

gazman
gazmanasked
Hero7 Black

After owing a gopro 7 black for some time now would you stick by your 5 star review?
Have any issues started with this camera?
Overheating? Connectivity issues? Anything you can think of?

Steve J.
Steve J.

Still 5 stars in my opinion. It is one of many cameras I own and each has a reason for use. I couldn't have it as just a single device but it can do things for me that a mobile phone can't do or that DSLR can't do. It has excellent stabilization, form factor, audio, portability, ruggedness and quality of output if I use it within the boundaries of its design. I just bought a DJI Osmo Pocket which actually produces slightly better quality video but doesn't have a wide angle like a GoPro which is important for my needs. They are both similar but different. If I had to own just one of them I would probably stick with the GoPro. The only thing I think the GoPro is sensitive about is micro sd cards so that needs some experimenting with. If 4K is needed then a proper spec card has to be used.

howard g
howard g

Still 5 stars for me, and i have never had any issues at all. None.
A lot of the issues others report, ( camera freezing & needing battery removal and restart, and camera overheating, ...may be due to using a cheap and slow sd card to record on. Why spend a lot of cash on the camera and then cripple its potential with a slow sd card to save maybe $50? Always buy the fastest card you can afford for this camera, ( ideally at least 60-90 mb/ sec WRITE speed. Play speed is not so important.) If you are trying to record 4k video with a cheap sd card, of course it will choke, and if you bang away for hours in 4k mode, it will overheat. Vast amounts of video data have to be handled and stored. Better to buy a very fast card with smaller capacity than a slow card with lots of capacity.
Also, save 4k recording for events that need it. Far easier to handle 1080p than 1440 or 4k, and the results will still be spectacular.

John o.
John o.

worst camera in the world, a bad investment, your better off using your mobile. everything on a Gopro does not work and has so many connection issues. bugs bugs bugs it is like buying an expensive camera full off bugs. Sadly I used a go pro on my holiday and all my recording is poor and some I'm unable to download to my PC. please buyers be cautious there are better cameras out there

Compare all 3 GoPro Hero7