Honda Civic

Honda Civic Questions & Answers

8th Gen, 9th Gen, 9th Gen Ser II, etc...

39 questions from our users

Nev S.

Nev S.asked

10th Gen (Hatchback) RS (2016-2020)

Anyone else getting a raw petrol smell in their crankcase oil?

Wayne L.

Wayne L.asked

Civic 8th Gen (2006-2011)

changed rear brake pads on 2011 honda civic one side breaks very hot. Any ideas?

Cole T.

Cole T.asked

Civic 9th Gen (2012-2015)

Hi there i have a 2014 Honda Civic si sedan, I started to notice a musty smell in the car and began to realize the floor carpet was wet on the passenger front side I’m assuming it’d the ac condensation tube anyone else ever have these problem and best way to fix thanks !

Stephen
Stephen

I have read that same problem before when I did my research before buying the car but so far I haven’t experience it. I don’t know if it is with the older models or maybe my car is still fairly new that’s why it hasn’t happen to my car yet.

Kyle

Kyleasked

Civic 8th Gen (2006-2011)

Hi everyone, I’m looking to buy this Honda Civic model and was wondering if anyone knows if the 2011 model has this engine mount problems that the older models are having?

Shoaib K.

Shoaib K.asked

Civic 9th Gen (2012-2015)

can we install LDA-MF3 engine in this model?

Bergs
Bergs

I suggest you contact Honda or a reputable mechanic on this one

Lui. Jr

Lui. Jrasked

Civic

I have honda civic 2000 automatic transmission (vtec) it cannot running it can start but won't run, any help please

Andrea Delamotte

Andrea Delamotteasked

10th Gen (Sedan) VTi (2016-2020)

what are the features and specifications for a 2018 model

Don M.

Don M.asked

are there any major or minor faults with 2013
2014 honda civic VTl?

James S

James Sasked

Civic 10th Gen (2016-2020)

Just got 2018 vti lx was does anyone know if it comes with auto hi low beam.

Bev L

Bev Lasked

Civic 10th Gen (2016-2020)

Has anyone experienced problems with the airconditioning not functioning properly in 2016 Honda Civic 1.5 litre turbo model?
Mine can take up to 15 minutes before cold air flows on a hot day and then cuts out again if I turn the fan down or change airflow direction.
Similarly in winter, the a/c doesn't effectively demise the front windscreen as the cold air doesn't cut in for ages.

Bugsy08
Bugsy08

Mine is 2018 and no issues at all with air conditioner. Push Honda to fix it.

PatsDad
PatsDad

Have you spoken to a mechanic or air conditioning tech?

Albert Salomon

Albert Salomonasked

Civic 10th Gen (2016-2020)

When will the 2 litre engine be coming out in the Honda Civic.. in Australia?

Chrissie
Chrissie

I've no idea.

John R

John Rasked

Civic 8th Gen (2006-2011)

Has anyone heard intermittent weird noises whilst driving their Civic?

Samuel K
Samuel K

How bad is the noise? It could be a number of reasons but do not forget with the age of the vehicle these noises will emerge.

Louise
Louise

Is it like an intermittent low grinding that only lasts for a few seconds particularly when you’re either idling, about to take off from a red light or reversing down your driveway on a cold morning? That goes away once your car warms up and/or you accelerate? If yes and you’ve got an 8th gen Civic then you’ve got broken engine mounts - particularly the lower right hand mount. Google it, I’ve had about 5 now replaced and still they break, so have by the looks of what’s on google every single 2006-2010 civic owner worldwide. It’s a known design flaw, but don’t bother going to Honda to get it fixed they’ll just tell you you need it replaced but when you go back and back to them saying ummm it’s broken AGAIN and this are your hideously expensive $600 a pop OEM parts you’re gouging me for they’ll just pretend they don’t know why but due to the age of the vehicle its not covered under warranty...interesting how they can still claim that given there’s thousands upon thousands of owners reporting the same fault, I guess it’s all only “anecdotal” however, if the manufacturer doesn’t admit there’s a manufacturing flaw or compelled to provide transparent reporting of data about what problems a specific model and year vehicle is consistently presenting to their service centres then what do you do? Oh...if you were thinking hey maybe I’ll just get a non-OEM but compatible engine mount and fit that that should fix it, with any other part I’d say yeah go for it but not the engine mounts, fit a non-genuine Honda one of these you may find yourself with a bigger issue than just some cracked mounts

Dan G.
Dan G.

Also have the same engine mount issue. (Done 170Kms, Civic VTI-L 1.8 Sedan Manual) 2nd time its happen, but this time is not vibrating the whole interior when cold like it did before. But Honda dealer still says i need it replaced again. But it doesnt vibrate so i didnt bother. Got even bigger problems now though. Cant get it any gear while engine is running. It goes in gear when engine is off, and when i try to start it with it in gear and clutch all the way in, it tries to pull forward. So i think the clutch isnt disengaging when i push the clutch in. And also power steering fluid is leaking. Been leaking for last 6months. Just been topping it off. I think its just a worn O-ring, but still another headache to worry about. Not sure if its even worth fixing at this point. Cost to repair is probably gonna exceed the value of the car...

Milan

Milanasked

Hey,
I have just purchased 2007 Honda Civic hybrid and the noise of engine it’s too much as we speed more than 60km/h I don’t know what to do and how is car over all?

BrittyJ

BrittyJasked

Civic 10th Gen (2016-2020)

I'm looking at purchasing the civic hatch RS. Can someone tell me the reason for the reduced boot space compare to the VTI L or LX? Also how have the leather seats held up in regards to creasing at the thigh bolsters?

Ben
Ben

Hi BrittyJ,

The boot space is reduced because of the centre exhausts, however it is still a very good size. I've had two mountain bikes in the back with the seats folded down no problem as well as some large paintings and boxes. The retractable cargo blind is also great as you can remove it when you are packing large items and unlike a large parcel tray, it's easy to just throw under a seat.

Tony Casked

Hi,
Interested in civic especially the safety pack on lx.
I heard that the adaptive cruise control doesn't maintain the same speed and accelerate when going down hill?. Is this true?

oldgreenv12
oldgreenv12

Most cruise controls, adaptive or otherwise, will accelerate when going down hill .

The Civic's does accelerate more than I would like it to, but only when there is no traffic in front.

If there is a car in front, it will apply the brakes to maintain a safe distance.

If there is no car in front and the car begins to accelerate, I reduce the cruise control's speed setting (e.g. 110 to 100). This solves the problem with a single press of a button on the steering wheel, so it is a minor inconvenience more than a safety problem. If you are wondering- holding down the set-speed button for a second reduces/increases in 10kmh increments, whereas tapping adjusts in 1kmh increments.

The safety pack is awesome and I love the tech. The adaptive cruise and collision avoidance works a treat, and the lane keeping is fantastic- especially on highways.

Hope that helps.

Tony C

Thanks a lot for your reply. Really helpful!

Mamma k

Mamma kasked

Civic

2017 hatchback Honda Civic VTI-L. Is the sound /noise of the engine bearable? Does it have a grinding effect?

Anirban
Anirban

Yes you don't feel the engine sound,so worries with it.

Kimberley de Bruijn

Kimberley de Bruijnasked

Civic 7th Gen (2001-2005)

Would you recommend the 2001 Honda Civic Vi for a backpacker that only needs the car to drive to jobs and to travel around on normal roads and off-roads? Not extreme off-roads like dunes and stuff, but like gravel and that kind of roads? I'm trying to find a car that is not to big and not to expensive. And I'm alone.

DD
DD

I do not know how many KM the car has done and this is pretty important. But yes, a civic or a toyota corolla (+ mazda 3) would be the kind of small car I would be looking for - just try to get one under 150000 km and less than 12 years old - if you can afford it.Toyota camry or honda accord are also pretty bullet proof (same with a mazda) for medium cars, Holden commodore and Ford falcons too - but more expensive to run. It is usually worth while getting a mechanic to check over a car that you are buying. All of these cars should handle 95% gravel and bitumen roads unless you are going north in the wet season. Don't get an old european car here due to poor parts and reliability. cheers (also take oil and coolant and learn how to check it regularly)

Thank you for your advice. I was told that I should keep my budget on 3000$ but I put it on 5000$. Yesterday I found a really nice 2002 Toyota Echo Sedan but I see he got 244,010 kms, maybe to much. Thank you for your advice :)

Aliceson

Alicesonasked

Hi guys,
Can someone out there who recently purchased the new Honda civic hatch LX, please tell me their experience with the droning noise heard on higher speeds .e.g. freeways. Is it loud and annoying?

Alyson

Lisa
Lisa

Hi, I picked up my vti-lx hatch a month ago and have spent about half my time on freeways/highways/country roads. While there is a bit of tyre noise on older bitumen, I have found the civic to be exceptionally quiet on all road conditions. Engine noise is minimal.
It does not perform well in traffic jams, the cvt seems to ‘search’ quite a bit, but I just switch to using the paddles to minimise this.
It really is a fantastic car!

Rick

Rickasked

Civic

How to operate the hand brake?

Mohit
Mohit

Pull up the hand brake lever all the way, squeeze the top button and push down to disengage.

judyasked

Civic

At what mileage will I need to replace the timing belt on a 2013 Civic VTIs MY13?

Sundar
Sundar

Betweeen 90-100K kms

judy

thanks Sundar.....any idea of cost?

JOHNSIMMONDS
JOHNSIMMONDS

This particular Honda engine does NOT require a timing belt to be replaced as it has a duplex chain to drive the cam shaft instead of the composite timing belt like the previous models.

Get an answer from our members and Honda representatives