HP Officejet 3830

See the Best Printers in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by HP

• Ink Cartridge Longevity
  • Reliability
  • Printing Speed
Buckley
BuckleyMurray Region, NSW

Great printer but has issues

I bought this printer about 2-4 months ago, it was easy to set up and had no issues printer or with colour. However, the driver is not working and I've spent two weeks on 5-hour phone calls with Windows and spoken to HP and no one is able to fix this issue, meaning the only way I can print on this is to use a device like my iPad or iPhone, not directly from the computer.

Purchased in January 2021 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $80.

Abc123
Abc123Perth, WA

Poor Product

Purchased a HP inkjet 3830 which froze during start-up. HP replaced with another 3830 (no ink provided). Used it for scanning only until purchasing ink, but after a couple of usages, the second printer also freezes on start-up. Now out of original warranty, I will have to wear the cost of the purchased cartridges and purchase another printer, but will not buy HP ever again.

Purchased in April 2020.

rs2
rs2Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

OMG - the worst printer!

Purchased in March 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $60.

JasonSydney Surrounds, NSW

HP Officejet 3830

Purchased in April 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $79.

GrabenmannGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Would give it four stars if HP weren't anticompetitive with their ink cartridges

Print and scan quality on this device are both good. I also find it easy to use.

Print speed is low, but that is what I expect from a device at this price.

But my concern is the fact that the device prevents me from using generic cartridges or even refilled cartridges.

Apparently each cartridge has verification software that the printer reads to ensure that you are paying for the overinflated HP ink prices.

This is anticompetitive and a bad thing for the future. It is in and of itself enough to

I will think twice about buying another HP after this.

Purchased in July 2018.

Disgruntled
DisgruntledLaunceston, TAS

Understating to say worst ever

Software design not design but decorating. Buttons that go nowhere do nothing. Sent me another after the first one died. Guarantee that people that designed this had fundamental technical flaws and lack creative imagination. Not getting another one or any HP product. Buy something else or go to a store to print there without capital outlay. Old Canon worked perfectly.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Without doubt the worst printer I have ever owned

Permanently goes off-line; print 1 document then try to print another immediately afterwards & it's gone offline & needs "user intervention". I've wasted hours & hours troubleshooting and am now tired of doing so as every single day I try to print something I have problems. Not a patch on my old 6520, I'm replacing this with a Canon

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

Clara V.7 Dec 2021
Monique
MoniqueSunshine Coast

Exactly what I needed

Purchased this printer for a good price from JB Hi Fi a month or so ago. It has been working perfectly and is so easy to operate. My favourite thing about it is that it connects to wifi and you can print from basically any device with no hassles at all. In the past I have used printers that have done my head in trying to connect the wifi printing but haven’t had any issues with this one. It even has a touch screen where you can go into ‘quick forms’ from the main menu and you and print out games like sudoku - very cool if you ask me lol. Overall really impressed with my new printer, it’s awesome!

Date PurchasedSept 2018

Don't buy this printer!

Echo everything other 1-star reviewers stated. If I could cuss, I'd use every single one to describe this junk. When it prints, quality is fine but therein lies the problem...it won't print. And as usual, HP does a horrible job supporting their products with advice on the most common problems that are clearly a defect issue on their end. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

piece of junk

This print is stuck on offline. I have tried everything u tube trainings, print doctor, calling help center and getting the run around for over a month. I have had to crawl around on the floor, spent hours going through tutorials with no results!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still waiting for help, garbage is the next step. HP my phone # is 575-524-1585!!!!!!!

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Worst printer ever

This printer has been nothing but trouble ever since I brought it. The 3830 hates my HP laptop and it takes 2 hours everytime I want to print something just in troubleshooting alone because the printer always loses connection with my computer and never wants to come out of 'offline' mode for more than 3 minutes. Plus a single ink cartridge costs almost as much as the printer itself. You're better off spending a lot more money on a printer than $40. I wish this website had a 0 star rating because that's what I'd give this piece of junk.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Kev
KevWA, 6122

Brilliant printer for the price

Picked up this printer for $38 and cant fault it for the price. Easy to setup via wifi and love the fact that I can print from anywhere, even if not at home by the hp email address.
Printing speeds are fine and quality is also fine. Was going to spend $200 on a printer before I happened to see this one and thought I would give it a chance, and it hasn't let me down.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Worst printer I ever owned

Every time I want to print I need to set aside at least an hour or two for trouble shooting. It looses connection with my pc all the time. Printer requires user intervention all the time and does not tell you why and heaven forbid should it run out of paper you need to unplug and reboot every device and printer to get it going. The ink usage is very uneconomical, I print 20 pages in black and white on draft mode and black in is finished. Walk past if you see this one.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Julia
JuliaBlue Mountains

Nice Printer for price

I purchased this printer from Woolworths for $40.00 I thought that price was fantastic and needed a colour printer. It has fax, printer, scanner features. Picture quality is quite ok too, very easy to set up and use, has Wifi.
My only gripe is the cost of replacing ink, $35 colour and $30 for black. I'm thinking I may as well look for cheap printers on sale use up the ink which comes with them and when they run out of ink throw the printer away and buy another when on special which I see in Big W most of the time.
Ink is ridiculously costly for tiny cartridges that don't last very long.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Barry S
Barry SMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

For the odd print and scan this is great!

Purchased this printer at Woolies for just $40 in October last year. To date I have not had to purchase any refills (!!) , but i know they will be expensive. For my needs this does the job required. Print quality is fine, but i find myself using this more for scanning stuff.

Date PurchasedOct 2016