22Hyundai Elantra

Hyundai Elantra Questions & Answers

Cooranite
Cooranite · AD.2 (Sedan) Sport Premium DCT (2018-2024)

There are three colors available for the screen background. How do I find the appropriate control screen to do this. I would like to change color just for the fun of it.

Janelle E
Janelle E · Elantra

Hi,

I'm looking at getting another car and have narrowed it down to an Elantra. Could anyone please tell me if there is much of a difference between a 2014 Hyundai Elantra SE Auto and a 2015 Hyundai Elantra Elite Auto?

Thanks so much
Janelle

Mark C
Mark C · Elantra XD (2000-2006)

Hi I really am happy with this 04 elantra 2hvt. I have a need to replace the pollen ac filter. Any tips help in taking the glove box out? And advice? Bushfires here in NSW Australia. Thanks Mark

wookie
wookie · Elantra XD (2000-2006)

I am looking at fitting a tow bar to my 2004 Elantra hatchback, does anyone know if I can wire it straight in or need something because of the computer? thanks

Tbone1957au
Tbone1957au · Elantra AD (2016-2018)

Does the 2018 Hyundai Elantra Elite have a better audio system than the base model?

PeterS
PeterS · Elantra AD (2016-2018)

Looking at buying a Elantra Elite demo. Are seats and suspension better than the base model? Also have they fixed the audio/Bluetooth problem? I’m also looking at the Kia Serato Sports. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Ingak
Ingak

Hi Peter, I have the base model, so I can't comment on whether the suspension and seats are better on the elite model but I'm very happy with my seats and suspension. Also, I have never experienced any issues with the audio/bluetooth in my elantra and I use it all the time.

KTR
KTR · Elantra AD (2016-2018)

Hi There,

Can Elantra fit in 3 adults easily in back seat or is it best fit only for 2 adults?

Compared to KIA Cerato and Toyota Corolla Sedan, do you think cabin space in backseat is better ?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,

KT

Terry
Terry

Hi KT

I have had my 3 adult boys in the back. They didn't complain so I would say it was ok. The cerato is basically the same car so I would think it would be ok as well. Not a carrola fan so don't know about that one.

SelRap
SelRap

Hi KT, not sure about the Kia cerato, I also have 3 grown boys who comfortably in the back seat of the Hyundai. Then I have 2 big dogs that sit in the back as well. The Toyota Corolla seems a little smaller. Depends how tall the adults traveling with you. Hope I helped you, thank you.

Sarah K
Sarah K · Elantra AD (2016-2018)

I’m thinking of purchasing the 2017 Hyundai Elantra. Wanting something small and fuel economical for work. But once a year I go camping just 3 hours drive away and need to know if anyone has towed behind the Elantra and how it handles it? I have a 7x5 cage trailer that I load full of camping gear. The website says it can tow less than a ton.

Angel
Angel

Ask on google and see if anyone has towed with this vehicle.I dont tow with mine sorry but I love mine

John W
John W

Sorry I can’t help but personally I would not use an Elantra for towing

Stormy
Stormy · Elantra XD (2000-2006)

I have owned my Hyundai Elantra since 2005 and was brand new and have loved it but for about two or three years (it is serviced at home) I have my warning light on all the time for my airbag. I was told by one Hyundai repairer that it was the seatbelt and would cost so many dollars and it hasnt been fixed. Because of the airbag recall should I be concerned? It has only 101,000.00 mileage.

Alfreddo
Alfreddo

The Hyundai is not mentioned in the list of vehicles with airbags that are faulty. Check here https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list. Can't be too careful these days.

Marion · Elantra

is the hyundai md3 se sedan 2015 a good car to buy it only has 24000k's on it?

claudia
claudia

I've had the 2013 Elantra and now have the 2017 Elantra and I can't speak highly enough of the reliability of the Elantra cars! The warranty of course gives you stunning protection against failures of most kinds, including rattles developing, and 24,000kms means the car is still really a baby, so I reckon buy with confidence!

Marion

"Thanks Claudia for your reply.

Jen
Jen · Elantra XD (2000-2006)

Mobiliser beeps constantly and can't start car, any ideas?

Alex

Hi Tammy, sounds complex and something a visit to your local mechanic or Hyundai dealer would be able to help with.

Michael5555
Michael5555 · Elantra MD (2011-2015)

What should I do to improve the visibility of my reversing camera at night for my 2015 Hyundai Elantra Elite?

Hi Michael,

There isn't a lot that can be done to improve visibility with the reversing camera at night. You can try by turning on your rear fog lights to illuminate the rear a little bit.

The rear cameras are usually there to show the immediate surrounds of the rear of the vehicle and not any further than that. Generally speaking around 4-5 meters.

But in low-light conditions, there isn't a lot you can do to improve visibility. This is common across car cameras.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for helping answer the question, I really appreciate it.

I followed your advice and turned on my rear fog lights but it didn't help.

If I were to change the bulbs in my reversing lights for brighter ones, do you think they would make a greater impact on night visibility?

Hi Michael,

I don't think changing your lights will help. Reversing camera's are pretty basic and don't feature infra-red or a night mode. There really isn't anymore that can be done regarding the visibility during the night.

Julie
Julie · Elantra

Won't petrol should I use. I believe 95 premium.Is the correct or can we use some thing else?

Julie email. juliethompson54@hotmail.com

Kait
Kait

I've always used 91 and had no issues with it at all. Hope that helps

Hey Julie,

Late model Elantras have some issues with undertaking E10 and Regular Unleaded 91, usually in the colder months due to additives being added to fuels. There can be common problems of poor starts along with smoke coming out from the exhaust. I found using a higher octane i.e. 98 helped with this issue, however, Hyundai will perform an update on the ecu software to tackle this issue.

I have ran all grades of fuel in my Elantra except for E10.

I use more often RON98 usually VPower which gives me a few more extra kms. While cheap premium is great, but your Elantra will have no harm in taking regular 91.

Hope this helps.

Anmafin
Anmafin

I have never had an issue with petrol, but then again, it could be because we don't have cold mornings in FNQ. I also use E10 and have not had a problem.

aidi
aidi · Elantra

Hi there. I have a 2009 elantra. Just wondering how many litres of oil they take during an oil change?

Rob C
Rob C

Should be 4 litres when doing an oil change. Remember two things when changing your oil yourself, (1) pour slowly and reguarly check the dipstick to see how much you have put in. It is far easier to add oil than take it back out of an engine (2) buy the best quality oil you can afford, an extra few dollars on a synthetic oil is worth it.

viah
viah · Elantra MD (2011-2015)

I have 14000 k on my 2015 Elantra Ive been having a problem with it for awhile now it was at the dealership for a month they told me it was diesel in the gas which is a load of bull,,, no one else as problems with there cars.. told me it was fixed took it and drove it for 45 mins engine light came on lost power again, sputtering up riving up......stop in the middle of the road and finally now it turns over but won't start...does anyone have any ideas what the problem can be?

Barry T

Do not use E10 or ninety one, when I bought the car I was told 01 was ok but it lacked power. Since I changed to 98 I have found much better mileage and have the power back. It took 2 tank fulls to get this result. Hope it works for you.

swim43 · Elantra

I have an automatic 2006 Hyundai elantra, am am not game to drive in traffic. three times in 6 months while attempting to start car after parking, the accelerator moves very slowly and then surges out of control. the brakes do not stop it, it is overrevving without pushing the bake pedal and all I can do is steer it to a stop and turn the engine off. It continues racing for a few metres after it is turned off. the local mechanic disconnected the cruise control but it happened again today. Can you PLEASE answer this with a suggestion of what the blazers is wrong with this dangerous car. Take it where and get them to repair what. We are pensioners and cannot afford to replace it.Please anser before the dratted thing kills some one

Barry T

Sorry I am not a mechanic, but if I was in your shoes I would take it to a Hyundai dealership and ask them what the problem is and the cost of it to be fixed.

swim43

tried that and got very vague answers. could be etc etc. by the way it is a 2005 model not 2006. brain was addled after a frightened, scared witless after the latest episode. Thanks for your suggestion

Dougiep93
Dougiep93 · Elantra XD (2000-2006)

I am being offered a straight swap.

2002 ELantra with 168k on the clock. For my 2003 Toyota Echo with 237k on it.

Recommend the swap?

heythatguy
heythatguy

i'm not one that knows too much about cars, but with that said there are pros and cons here... in short, i'd do it personally.

the elentra has done less km. a bigger engine and as such should handle better with less km on it (just from an engine POV). if you need the extra space but don't wanna get a big car i would also suggest this (the coupe's can fit heaps in them!). to be frank it sounds too good to be true, because the echo's don't really hold their value (compaired ot the yarris or the corolla).

with that said try to take the elentra for a test drive. Look at the tyes! (if they're bad you'll be looking at about $400-$600 to replace them brand new). Pay attention to the transmission, check the oil levels and colours. hop online and look for 'used car buying checklist' or something like that. sounds like a good deal so i'd be looking at whats wrong with the elentra.

also, make sure what you're swapping isn't a turd with wheels either, be honest about its faults (if any) just so there's no bad blood and annoyances down the line.

Dave B
Dave B

We have a 2003 elantra and after it hit 100,000k's it's had nothing but problems, there are too many to go into but at the moment were waiting for a gear shift cable which is being sent from korea which needs replacing, just in the last year we've spent over $2000.00 on the pile of junk, we have owned this car since about oct 2015 and get it serviced everytime it's due, we look after it but in my opinion I wouldn't recommend swapping or buying one.

Hyundi
Hyundi · Elantra

is any one else having this problem and know what to do t fix it. when driving my 2013 auto elantra at any speed it will all of a sudden rev. (1.5 revs to about 4.5 or more) this has also happened when in cruise control on a highway. doesn't happen all the time and of course when I take it to the mechanic it doesn't do it. so frustrating.

Maybe time to trade

brian

That sounds like you most likely have a problem with the computer process unit or it could be a totally different problems / it sounds unsafe so my suggestion is you try taking it a hyandai workshop or try another trustworthy honest and reliable mechanical shop

mcmonte

2013? Still under warranty then.

If the service dept try denying there's a problem, you need to show them solid evidence.

I'd suggest buying a bluetooth OBD2 scan tool (under $10, typically around $6). Get your app of choice -- torque is apparently good -- and check for fault codes.

If it's clear, you can "record" the revving fault to show the dealer. In the app, you can save your chosen telemetry overlaid with driving footage (from your tablet or phone cam) and it saves it as a movie file. See here for a demo:

brian

You could also try ultratune workshop as they are pretty good at diagnosis and repairs of faults / another alright shop is kmart tyres and auto

mja71
mja71 · Elantra

Hi I have a 2009 model Hyundai Elantra. It has a starting problem. The engine cranks business but doesn't fire. I have fitted a new battery and new crank angle sensor. Problem still there. Any ideas? Cheers.

Alex

Hi there, i have had the same problem..engine cranks but it wont start sometimes....so i went to hyundai , and they found that my immobalizer wasnt working properly, i mean it wasnt detecting my key properly, so it keep sending wrong signal to engine computer.They change the immobalizer for free as it was covered by warranty..i had it changed in 2010..so my suggestion you should check the problem with a qualifed mechanic or hyundai dealer....:)hope this information will help you

Bantam_Pilot

Really sorry to tell you this but I'm a primary school teacher with advanced knowledge of computer operating systems and networks - not automotive mechanics. I get my mechanic to change my spark plugs because I can't get to the ones under the manifold. I didn't even know the Elantra had a crank angle sensor & until today I never knew such a beast existed. I'm really sorry I can't be of any help. Hope you track down the problem soon and can share it with the rest of us.

milly
milly

I have had a 2011 elantra since new and always had a starting issue. Push button and engine keeps cranking then have to push button to stop it and start again. Its been into hyundai 12 times now. They cant fix it. Its still there now after another 7 week visit. I had written 2 complaint letters and just before christmas had a call to say im getting a new one. Havnt been happy with them for nearly 3 years but now im so happy. Should have my new elantra in January.

brian

It could be a number of problems such as the leads or even the spark plugs though it's probably better to take the car to hyandai or a trustworthy honest and reliable mechanical shop to get the problems fixed

markjesus82
markjesus82 · Elantra

Hi Have this ongoing issue with my Elantra, Whenever it reaches half a tank of fuel it's hard to start, small smell of fuel and usually takes 2 to 3 times to start, but only on half a tank. Have replaced the filter and been told that might be Fuel Pump or FPR. Have noticed also with the Fuel Cap open it starts.

Any ideas what it might be

Fired up
Fired up

This sounds a bit different to the starting issue that I had. In my case the car continued to start after the ignition was switched on. I could not stop it from trying to start......until it caught fire as a result. I hope it is not an electrical or mechanical fault with the starter motor as that seems to be what caused my fire. By that stage Hyundai just ignore the whole thing and give you the cold shoulder so push them to fix it!!!

Good luck.

Bantam_Pilot

This problem is completely foreign to me. The Elantra is still our little dream car. Haven't encountered it. If it works with the fuel cap open that says to me there is a vacuum forming in your tank pulling the fuel back, away from the engine. I have no idea how the Elantra lets air into the tank to replace the fuel used, but, that access might be blocked. Mud wasp ? Drawing on my pilot training there.

brian

That sounds dangerous / my suggestion you take the car to hyandai Australia or a trustworthy honest and reliable mechanical shop to get the problem repaired as soon as possible otherwise you might have a chance to cause a fire in the engine bay or somewhere else

brian

It could be a pressure problem or like the mechanic stated

mcmonte

Your problem is the charcoal canister. At some point, someone (not you, obviously ;) has brimmed the tank when filling up. Excess fuel has broken down the charcoal into smaller fragments that are now blocking the breather outlet, thus it starts with the cap off as you described.

Try cleaning out the associated canister/breather plumbing and fitting a new charcoal canister. Then never overfill the fuel tank. When you reach the first shut-off click from the bowser=STOP filling!

Get an answer from our members and Hyundai representatives

Select a listing for your question
Hyundai Elantra