Ikea Billy Bookcase

Ikea Billy Bookcase

See the Best Living Storage in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Good bookcase but extra shelves are useless

Not beautiful but practical. I bought 2 extra shelves for each bookcase, but found that they can't be placed in the proper position because of the door hinges and some missing holes. Now I have 2 shelves in each bookcase that are too low to store my books upright. A missed opportunity.

Purchased in January 2015.

BRILLIANT AND VERSATILE

We have Billy book cases in nearly every room in our house; most are overstuffed with heavy objects, and some date from 1982. None have ever let us down. Any idiot can assemble one, they are that simple. As long as you can read accurately and hold a screwdriver you can't miss. Our out of level floors mean that the doors occasionally don't hang level, but we bought a pack of Ikea's very useful flooring wedges that solve the problem caused by off level floors in no time. We also converted a Billy into a whelping box for our dog, who happily raised seven pups in it. We used cheap Ikea curtain rails for crush bars. The white finish stood up well to nearly 9 weeks of being inhabited by 32 paws with sharp nails - Wow!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Marriage Saved

My wife and I decided to test our marriage by going to IKEA in Marsden Park and buying two “Billy” bookcases for our office. We were aided with loading the flat pack bookcases (2) into our car which was a fantastic service we thought. To our surprise not only were the instructions easy to read and understand but everything was included in the box and it even held a couple of spare screws here and there. The material used for the bookcase is your standard particleboard and melamine foil, the sturdiness however, surprised us. To complement the purchase the box also had the wall fastener which made it great to secure and avoid any future issues. We are so happy with our choice we are going back in September for one more bookcase for our office.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Practical...

I purchased this bookshelf a couple months ago and have started noticing the doors stop closing properly, I have to have at least 4 tries to make the door remain shut!

Other than that, the bookshelf is really practical. It fits a lot of books and other bits and pieces. Also with the glass doors the dust stays out which saves me from cleaning :)

If you are considering buying it, read more about it - it isn't the cheapest option and I am sure there is other shelves out there that function better and are at a similar price.
Large, option with doors, stylish
functionality not so good

OK

This is a low priced bookshelf from Ikea. It comes in a couple of colours and is large enough to hold a lot of books. My main problem with it is that if you read the instructions a certain way, you may think you are putting in the panels in the correct way, but you actually have it backwards. So, make sure you really concentrate and read and understand it completely. However it could just be us, and you could assemble this easily!
We bought this because it was low in price and its large in size. You really have to follow the instructions carefully and have a lot of patience when you are assembling it. I dont know if its just us, but we made a couple of noticeable mistakes while assembling this bookcase which cannot be corrected.
Make sure you read the instructions carefully and follow it step by step. Dont try to do the assembling in a hurry, because you may think you understand, but you can do it backwards and not realize it until you have put the screws in, and then its too late.