Ikea Billy Bookcase

Ikea Billy Bookcase

Tara

Tara

Strong, sturdy bookcase

Bought my first Ikea Billy Bookcase a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. Very sturdy and strong. Looks really nice and was easy to put together. I also purchased the glass door to add on. Very happy. Thank you.

Purchased in June 2020 at IKEA for $79.00.

Good bookcase but extra shelves are useless

Not beautiful but practical. I bought 2 extra shelves for each bookcase, but found that they can't be placed in the proper position because of the door hinges and some missing holes. Now I have 2 shelves in each bookcase that are too low to store my books upright. A missed opportunity.

Purchased in January 2015.

suzyqCanberra

BRILLIANT AND VERSATILE

We have Billy book cases in nearly every room in our house; most are overstuffed with heavy objects, and some date from 1982. None have ever let us down. Any idiot can assemble one, they are that simple. As long as you can read accurately and hold a screwdriver you can't miss. Our out of level floors mean that the doors occasionally don't hang level, but we bought a pack of Ikea's very useful flooring wedges that solve the problem caused by off level floors in no time. We also converted a Billy into a whelping box for our dog, who happily raised seven pups in it. We used cheap Ikea curtain rails for crush bars. The white finish stood up well to nearly 9 weeks of being inhabited by 32 paws with sharp nails - Wow!

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Living Storage Furniture Pieces

Find out how Ikea Billy Bookcase compares to other Living Storage Furniture Pieces

JNodar

JNodarSydney, NSW

Marriage Saved

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Sarah.B

Sarah.BSYDNEY

Practical...

I purchased this bookshelf a couple months ago and have started noticing the doors stop closing properly, I have to have at least 4 tries to make the door remain shut!

Other than that, the bookshelf is really practical. It fits a lot of books and other bits and pieces. Also with the glass doors the dust stays out which saves me from cleaning :)

If you are considering buying it, read more about it - it isn't the cheapest option and I am sure there is other shelves out there that function better and are at a similar price.
Large, option with doors, stylish
functionality not so good

Sada

SadaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

OK

Cozzie

Cozzieasked

Am I able to buy extra shelf supports for Billy

suzyq

NO. They are free, at least in Australia where I live. There are large drawer units with all sorts of spares in them. generally in the area where you pick up your goods. Just take as many as you want and put a small donation in the UNICEF box.

Janet Suttonasked

We’d like to buy an 80cm wide Billy bookcase and add 5 extra shelves to serve as dvd storage. Will we be able to space all the shelves equally for this purpose?

cafbkk
cafbkk

No, you won't. There are no holes for shelves in the area around the hinges (an area of 50 cm, 25 cm under and above the middle shelf) , so you'll end up with 2 high and 2 low shelves. I only found out after I came home with the extra shelves.

suzyq

That depends on whether you plan to put doors on it or not. The middle shelf is fixed but we put our middle shelf in a different hole to the one IKEA recommend, so there is even spacing all the way. If you plan to put doors on it you need to dodge the hinge areas.

Janet Sutton

Thank you, very helpful, not putting doors on

CategoryLiving Storage Furniture Pieces