LDV V80

LDV V80

See the Best Vans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Absolute junk. Gear shift issues

Gear issues, when gear rod is in neutral it goes to reverse... Quite dangerous. Transmission issues lights popups up occasionally. Servicing with LDV is dead costly and they said it would cost $7000 to fix the gear issues. While it is a manufacturer defects. Sliding doors doesn't lock properly.

Purchased in October 2018.

BoughtUsed
Year2015

Has been a very reliable workhorse.

I purchased the first LDV V80 van sold in this country. It is a 2013 model and was only available as a manual at the time. It is fitted with a factory tow bar and that does not interfere with the reverse sensors. It has never missed a beat. Very reliable. Won't be getting rid of it any time soon.

Purchased in January 2014 for $28,800.00.

Year2013
Comfort

Junk, cheap and nasty not fit for commercial use

I bought 2 LDV mid roof vans just on a year ago Clutch gone on one just over 40000klm, sliding doors come off runners, had factory tow bars fitted but trigger reverse sensors
Door lock buttons fall off, A/C moves between face height and floor without touching it
Every couple weeks engine light comes on and gives code of glow plug faults
All doors don’t unlock with key have to push button on and off 3-4 times

Certainly not fit for commercial use

Cheap junk that won’t last the lease period

Purchased in May 2018.

Year2017

LDV V80 Clutch Issue

We have 2 2018 LDV V80 used as courier vans, Van 1 48000km clutch is gone Van is off the road van 2 51000km clutch is on its way out! LDV warranty only covers clutch up to 20000km. Here’s the kicker no LDV V80 clutches in Australia to repair it for another 2 weeks (mid to late May 2019) for van 1 and mid June 2019 for van 2! Every day it’s off the road costs us money and LDV does not offer replacement van on the V80, so our small family owned business is stuffed!!!

Do your research, I suggest quality not low price, they are cheap but crap and I haven’t mentioned all the other minor issues. Steer clear if you own a small business!!!!!!!

Purchased in March 2018.

Year2018
Features

Auto gearbox

We have a LDV V80 2016 only done 9000 km. When you are driving auto goes to natural. Lose all gears have to stop and turn off the engine and restart again.
Very dangerous when on freeway. Anyone now why

Purchased in December 2016.

Year2016
Features
Comfort

First person in Australia to turn the LDV80 into a refrigerated van!

I unfortunately thought buying 3 of these vehicles would be a cheaper entry into the market rather than purchasing the sprinter! What a mistake that was.

All three of my vehicles , 2 x v80 small wheel base plus the long wheel base high top were converted into refrigerated vehicles. I can not tell you how much I have spent on these vehicles with brackets from LDV cracking etc... not to mention the cruise control goes bananas after gaining speed! Trying 50 times to get into to reverse AS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE then getting it into A1 is sometimes even harder.The after care from LDV ( i won't mention any names [name removed]) has been dreadful.
I was told I was not really a fleet buyer purchasing 3! Maybe I would have got more attention buying 6-7 ( as if may small businesses could do that in one hit)
I know for a fact I have not had one follow up call from LDV to see if I am still happy with there product or if they can help in any way. Its kinda funny because LDV wanted to feature me all over there social media once I had 3 vans converted to fridges to promote themselves. Now its gone sour Im just a figment of there imagination.
Stay away from these shocking vehicles and I can for see so many issues with these new electric vehicles on the market. I'm sure you will get thee nice smile once you drive the vehicle off the forecourt then probably the finger as you are down the road.
One last thing the brakes have failed on me many times whilst the van is in coasting mood, A1 just crawling. The A1 transmission overrides the brakes somehow??? A massive flaw in these original vehicles and I shall be taking this company to court about this issue.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

love mine

ive had my v80 for a year and so far its been fine ,turning circle is bad but its a workmhorse and being that much cheaoer than other brands i can live with the less qaulity of finnish and ride ,power is great and my radio is fine .steve new zealand

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Gear shift problems

LDV 80 purchased Feb 2016 so almost out of warranty. Gear selection very difficult. At times it shows A1 when it is actually in reverse. On 4 occasions almost crashed into vehicles behind me. Often cannot select reverse without altering from Auto to Manual. Also there is a light on the dash at far left supposed to alert that a clutch in the transmission is overheating. A buzzer sounds as well and it stops you putting the vehicle into gear. Have to wait about 5 minutes. PROBLEM is that it comes on after the vehicle has been sitting idle for 2 days over the weekend.so could not be overheated. Very poor service from Von Bibra on the Gold Coast and had to eventually complain to LDV directly who it seems have given Von Bibra a wake up call. They have had the vehicle since December 21 as I was going on holiday, booked to have the gears fixed on 27 and 28. NOTHING DONE!.BTW if you are doing your own servicing ( I am a mechanic) Repco has most of servicing items at a fraction of the price at LDV.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Is it just me!

14 months in and 36,000 miles, and no major issues. Eakin Bros Claudy in Northern Ireland have dealt with all services and supplied a courtesy vehicle. Yes it does run harsh when cold and in low gears but get to 3rd gear and it performs very well and much quieter. Effortless motorway cruiser and well capable of getting you into trouble. Handles well and corners solidly, considering its high ride position. One ton in the back hardly registers with the suspension and it still pulls strong with out squeezing to hard. The cab is spacious and the drivers seat is better than most in terms of positioning and comfort. Regardless of what others say about the basic cruise control system, I say the simpler the better and I use it constantly. Why do you need more than on/off. It has to be said that the cruise is not very accurate on irregular B roads and will fluctuate quite a bit on ups and downs . I have averaged 32 mpg since new and I have the LWB with a roof rack. Proper servicing is important and when serviced you can tell the difference in behavior. First engine and gearbox oil change made a massive difference to my van and I would be surprised if 100,000 trouble free miles were not possible with continued proper care. 25,000 miles for a set of front tires and brake pads, so far nothing else. One recent issue I have had is that the instrument cluster lights wont work with the ignition on, but I am sure this will be resolved at the next service. I have driven many vans including sprinters, LTs, Transits etc, etc and the v80 measures up to them all in terms of being a van. The idea that there is something sub-standard about the V80 is grossly misplaced and brand snobbery aside, its where smart money comes to life. As with any brand. Good dealer backup is crucial and correct servicing part and parcel of a trouble free ownership. I appear to have this. Would I buy another. Yes. If you want a car, buy a car.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Drives ok

This vehicle drives really well in higher gears ( lots of Power ) . Very noisy in lower gears . Cruise control works but is very basic , either on or off . Engine warning light comes on every now and then . Door seals are coming off after 6 mths. Long loads ( up to 3.6m Timber etc ) can be extended under front seats . Front passenger seat
can be removed to carry a longer load that won't fit under front seats. ( just remove the bolts in floor.) Can carry three passengers in front which is a bonus . Gear box can be manual or auto. though the gear box will over ride your gear selection in manual if it does not like your gear selection. Purchased as Demo with 60km on clock . Poor dealer back up .

Date PurchasedJan 2018

ldv van at present very good

have the van now for over 4 months its my maintenance van everything pretty good, excellent handling, high ride position , all buttons work, only real concern the fog lights don't work, will get sorted at first service at 5000, having the engine out front rather than up yer butt plus plus, so far so good give them a go

Date PurchasedApr 2018

2 V 80s breakdown seriously!

These things are rubbish. We use vans in our business and we have decided to go back to the Hiace . Seriously think twice about these!
Our 2 V80 s always have recurring faults!
Dealer is not in a hurry to get you back on the road either! This is a genuine statement

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Issue after Issue and pathetic after service

I bought 3 of these vehicles as I thought it was more financial viable rather than buying Mercedes sprinters.
I then decided to get them turned into refrigerated vehicles. LDV assured me that the bracket was suitable for the refrigerated kit. Oh how wrong was i to invest in this company. Terrible after service always making excuses. I have had the brakes fail on my drivers several times, the gears sometimes go in to reverse when its supposed to be in A1. Things fall off the seats. ( please be mindful all 3 vehicles were brand new ) I will shortly be contacting the Australian Consumer Law and try to get these vehicles returned. They have spent many days off the road and LDV couldn't care less that I was a fleet buyer.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Poor After Service

Bought my brand new V80 on the 21st of Dec 2017 only 5 weeks old and has already BROKEN DOWN, currently at the dealership waiting to find out if the part is in the country and have been told I will not be given a loan car regardless of how long it could take to be fixed or given how short of time I have had it!!!!
This transit was bought for my business and the reason I bought a new one that I wouldn't have these problems, well I was very very wrong!
I wasn't so mad about the fact it has broken down, these things happen but what I am so mad about is the after care, or should I lack of. They could given crap now they have your money.

Not only have I lost business the last two days and still don't know when I am getting it back I have now been told that when it is fixed It is my problem to go pick it up a hour away from my business. I have a 7 day a week business that has to have someone on site at all times. So not only I have to collect it I now have to pay one staff member to be here and another to drive me a 2 hour around trip including their wages plus fuel costs. Not happy!!!
Very very very poor service!

This won't be the last time you here from me about this and it better not be things to come with this car!!!!!

Think twice about buying this brand and the aftercare is poor!

I'll be making sure everyone I know will not be buying a LDV!

Date PurchasedDec 2017

So many issues

*gear selection has been on-going problem particularly engaging reverse
*sometimes it displays a forward gear (ie A1) and then goes backwards (scarey)
*mostly just does not respond to gear selector at all ...
*will regularly not proceed form 1st gear @ about 1500 revs you must stop turn off and wait 10 secs before continue
*rear door stays were nearly useless from day 1 and broke after few weeks
*front doors have no stay at all so be very careful when opening next to another vehicle
*radio am is almost useless ...big on static in most of Sydney unbearable to listen to
*steering turn circle is very wide making parking it a nightmare
*the instrument panel is a struggle to see in daylight hours even with lights on
* the warning lights are same and very small (maybe 3mm)
* the one side mounted light in the rear is very poor

Transmissionautmatic manual transmission
Date PurchasedMar 2016

Electrical Failure

I am very happy with the mechanics of the vehicle however I have had numerous electrical faults
1. Radio has been replaced twice
2. Interior lights failed to turn off
3. Dash lights (speedo tachometer lights) Failed to turn on when the ignition is turned on. The first time was two weeks after I purchased the vehicle. Waiting to book in for the second time. As I rarely drive at night, I am looking at approximately 30hrs between failures.
The side mirror housing on both sides has been replaced.
Very disappointed in these faults, which detracts from an overall good vehicle.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Dash light was fixed. I presume it was a loose connection. The young fellow at the service counter would not explain what the problem was. (Canberra LDV distributer ) Overall still happy with the van.

Every 4 to 6 months stuck on the road with big mechanical issue

Guys..so frustrating
I bought LDV V80 Van from Steave Jarvin Burwood in June and within a 2 months was big issue from break and I stuck without Van for a week, lucky VAN was in warranty from Dealer so I save hips $$$$ but than again I stuck within a 4 months with big mechanical issue. I don't understand what kind of warranty LDV giving us for 100000 KMS. now dealers mechanic said, You have big mechanical issue so around $2000 to $3500 expense. I just bought this LDV V80 in June and in December I am having all this problems.
Friends there is many different brand available to buy but honestly ill give you big suggestion.....NEVER EVER go with LDV...as my personal experience i am loosing lot money.
I stuck in my business without VAN
I have given VAN for repair don't know how much $$$ invoice ill get it in 3 to 4 days from Steve Jarvin, Burwood

cross fingers.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Hi my LDV v80 van has gear and transmission issues its just 57,000 on the clock. In the reviews I have seen others having the same issue. Did anyone complaint to Australia consumer law about this ?? How did you resolve this issue as it's costing heaps to get it fixed. ?? Is that a manufacturer defect??
hi Sree, Ours ended up having a faulty flywheel, as explained by the dealership the flywheel had play in it, LDV covered the cost of the flywheel and removal of the gearbox and labour, but we still had to pay for the clutch ($600 out of pocket) even though the clutch was most likely damaged due to the faulty flywheel. We did speak to Fair trading regarding this and they have advised this should be covered by the consumer guarantee and we are in process of following up on this. Best of luck mate it took a lot of pressure on LDV to have our repair partially covered by them, in my opinion they know there is issues but they won’t admit it.Hi Rcw, who was your first point of contact and how did you even convince LDV to cover for gearbox removal and labour??

Are the vehicles having gear shift problems all serviced at dealers?
I have no gear shift problems 10,000 on the clock , the only real problem I have is the reverse gear shift lift and across when the cup holder is out, its in the way ! and difficult to engage otherwise the van is greatThe LDV v80 comes in manual and Amt gearbox . The Amt is dual automatic or manual . The Amt will only change gear from reverse if you have foot on break . This is a little annoying if you reverse into traffic and want to make a quick take off. If you forget the break you need to stop , break, go back to neutral then re- engage drive . If you hit the accelerator with out lifting the foot off break quick enough the forward gear will disengage . You then need to lift the foot off the accelerator and press it again to regain power.

What would cause the cruise conttoll to turn off mid driving, have t60 ute cab chassy
Cruise control should not turn off unless the driver accidentally touches the dash control or the brake or accelerator pedal. If any of these are touched then the cruise automatically is programmed to return control to the driver