MPN: LOG-960-000761

Great webcam for video calling

This is the most reliable webcam i have ever had, it sits cleanly on my monitor and is great for video calling since it can track motion cleanly and you can see the person using this webcam very well.
the software is a bit bland, and hasn't been updated since 2015 for some reason.
overall it is a great value, with 720p picture quality and an inbuilt mic that doesn't sound atrocious.

Won't go higher than 360p.

I was promised HD 720p video capture, but the highest resolution it will go is 360p, and there isn't even any HD quality to it. My crappy built-in webcam is better than this. Why did I waste almost $30 on this? Luckily, I'll be getting that money back from Walmart fairly soon.

Avoid this webcam

I am new to webcams. The Logitech C170 webcam seemed to be a popular model. I had high hopes. I couldn't have been more wrong.

The installation software for the Logitech C170 webcam is in a word: demented. At the first installation screen it tells you to press "next". Yet there is no button called next! In fact a whole series of buttons are not there at all! So you are stuck. I went to the Logitech forums and found that this webcam brand has all sorts of problems. I found one person who had the same issue of the invisible buttons. His answer was to do a font hack with Windows to make the system fonts smaller. That is ridiculous. I tried that hack. It didn't work anyway. But in the end I succeeded in installing this software. I guessed where the invisible buttons were and where my mouse changed to active I pressed. After some ludicrous trial and error I managed to install the webcam. I have never in all of the software I have tried ever had to play such a game of GUI battleships. That is the worst installation process in human history. How you could inflict that upon consumers beggars belief. I was on the verge of sending it back to Logitech for a refund.

To add insult to injury this webcam was released about 3 years ago. It still costs 45 dollars, 56 dollars if you include postage. I found that in the US the Logitech webcam C170 costs the princely sum of 16 dollars. I am using it to skype. It better skype well for that sort of rip off.

Absolutely forget this webcam. It also doesn't clip onto my desktop monitor. I wasted over 50 dollars on this piece of plastic trash. Please don't suffer the same fate.