Mercedes-Benz Vito

Mercedes-Benz Vito

V-Class W447.I, W638, W639.I and W639.II

See the Best People Movers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Perfect van

Ive had my vito 120 since new.
It was the dealer van that was used for test driving among interested buyers of the new range. And i took ownership with only 735 kms clocked....currently sitting 3000 ks under 200,000

This particular van was arranged to give example of how versatile the Vito platform could be. The back space is empty with a hard fairly durable flooring pannel. There are 8 tie down pionts evenly spaced around midships and at each corner of the cargo space... and the super convenient passenger and drivers side rear sliding doors are reason enough to have purchased the vehicle.
Up front is a different story. Spacious with great seating height from ground, good comfortable driving position for city or long haul driving. Its quite easy to forget that your driving a van and instead think your in a much smaller piece of machinery..... Heated seats, arm rests, electric windows heated side mirrors, darkend privacy windows on rear doors,
All round of a great example with which to build into your own version of van heaven....
I wouldnt have any other vehicle take care of my personal transport needs.
With 3.5 turbo diesel comanding highest output overall than any other van or 4wd on the market at same time. It can easily put v8 sedans in its mirrors even with a half ton of weight in the back... its brilliant. Its worth every cent so far..... a word to the wise, Dont loose the keys....
just under $600 replacement cost per item.

Purchased in September 2009.

TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Vito Ripoff

Our company purchased circa 12 Vito vans from MB Brighton and ALL were to be 100% the same, specs, etc. to replace a fleet of Hyundai ILoads.
When delivered, they were various years, some of which had a VIN # 2 years earlier than others. Some had rust, side windows, etc.
They were ALL various configurations.
Not sure what the company owners ultimately did, but my job was to replace each and every one of them, all of which were costly to run, poor performing, always coming out of alignment, chewed up tires, etc.
Worst of all was the resale/trade-in value - virtually worth nothing so they are being scrapped for parts - after 3 years !!!!!

Conclusion - DO NOT buy Vito's, and certainly NOT from MB Brighton. Not sure who handled the sale at Brighton, but do know the owner principal wiped his hands of the deal and didn't want to know anything about it. I think our company just sucked it up and moved on. Not sure the exact cost and/or loss, but certainly would have been well in excess of $150k !!!!

Purchased in August 2015 for $50,000.00.

Year2015

I love my Vito

I have had my Vito for approx 1 year now after owning numerous Vans.
I love my Vito, It is a pleasure to drive, The driving position is very comfortable. The interior is nice.
There is plenty of room for what i need. I cant recommend the Vito enough!
The gearbox shifts nice and smooth. The motor in the 114 could be a little bit more powerful. but it is a van and i didnt buy it for performance. The diesel is great. i get on average 1000KM to 1 tank. (highway use). I am 6'4 and have plenty of room and am very comfortable when driving on a daily basis.

Engine Type114BlueTEC
Date PurchasedNov 2017

a great work horse with 5 star luxury

I have driven Vans for work since the 80s starting off with a Mitsubishi.This a van that certainly got workout with moving machines during the week and fire wood on the weekend.My next van was a Mazda .This had two engines and also did alot of work.When the rust claimed the Mazda I decided to look at something more long term and better made.I asked a panel shop about Mercs .He gave them good rap.So I contacted West Point Star in Osborne PK.I went down there ready to go for to tie with sales man and I was totally blown away.They treated me with respect as though I could have been the CEO of BHP .they gave me a coffee and we had a chat and a look at the different Vans.We decided to take a Vito 109cdi for a test drive .The sales rep drove to Hale school ,then we he said you can have a drive.I jumped in and we headed out the car park and up Hale RD.This thing bloody flew up the hill.i asked if it was petrol and he replied.No diseil.I could believe how much power it had compared to the old Mazda.I decided on the very van I was driving.Now I don't have to worry about going on long drives if my van will make it .That was back in 2007 my van is still going after 360,000 I now have a second Mercedes-Benz van that goes even quicker

Engine Type109 CDI
Date PurchasedAug 2007

Reliable, cost effective motoring.

108CDI. Bought new in 2000. Done 210,000k as of Apr 2018. This is a list of work done (bear in mind this car is 18 years old!). Dash needed replacing half year after warranty - Mercedes paid half. New starter motor, new alternator, new battery cable, new indicator leaver assembly, new sway bar struts, break disks skimmed, new cv shaft, new radiator, new break hoses. That’s it - apart from the dashboard, just normal wear and tear. I change the oil and filter religiously every 5,000km and do what else I can myself - it sees a mechanic maybe once every three years. Not bad for 18 years faithful service and it probably has another five good years left in it, if not ten. There is roof rust from carrying kayaks - water gets under the roof rack rail - a design fault - it should have been bedded in selastic. Maybe I got lucky with my van. Or maybe it’s that happy owners don’t tend to write reviews?! I don’t know.

Engine Type108 CDI
Date PurchasedApr 2000

Vito 111 CDi van-From new

This van is just that...a van for doing work.
It does that well.
At 80,000k the low oil level light came on...I added oil.
The motor blew up...too much oil...oil level sensor was faulty....
$5000 dollars later...second hand motor fitted...so far so good.
Second hand motor was complete with ALL peripherals.

The glow plug warning light came on...the dealer said $500 plus install for the relay.
Rubbish....that would have been a wste...one of the gloe plugs went faulty...multimeter shows short to ground...duhhh...the dealers have no idea...

The window winders...both...failed...someone tried to break in by sliding glass down forcibly.
Mercedes wanted $900 a side to fix...fixed for $60 a side by just buying the part that actually failed...the cable assembly....aftermarket...but who cares?

Mine is manual transmission...would never...ever...ever buy a van with auto.
What are people thinking buying a goods transporter with auto transmission?
Of course an auto will fail.

Economy is great.

Overall...an excellent buy...$40k drive away..with a $5000 dollar visa card that I promptly pulled all the cash out at an ATM on the first day.

Tax dodge extreme...the invoice still says $40k....the GST claimed was $4k the depreciation is on $40k.
Well done Mercedes Australia helping everybody rip off the tax office.

No regrets buying this Mexican built box...the previous VW Transporter was always stuffing up.

The brakes? Hahaha...the pads have a wear sensor...wooo...its a piece of wire that breaks when the pads get to 30%...You can buy the pads for 45 dollars and the sensors for 5 dollars.
All front and rear for under 200 dollars.
Even an imbecile with an allen key can change these in under an hour and a half....all four wheels.
These horror stories of huge service costs are making me smile...no...LMAO...

Engine Type111 CDI
Date PurchasedJun 2011

What will go wrong next?

Good size for nine passengers and luggage room to boot, dives economically, stable at highway speeds, cruises well at 130kmh (NT speed limit), battery lasted nine years but it has cost a fortune to keep running since warranty ran out 7 years ago. AC evaporator repair -$4700 (MB Dealer), AC compressor replacement -$1700 (MB Dealer wanted $5300), exhaust system - $2400 (MB Dealer wanted nearly $7000), electric front windows - both failed several times costing $500 each time to repair (MB Dealer wanted much more), and its only done 125,000km (2008 model). Now it has an intermittent limp mode problem - spent $600 (3 hours labour) at MB Dealer last week with an inconclusive outcome and it might require a new turbo charger ($3800). It's the most unreliable car I have owned - such a pity because it's such a practical design for people moving - just too many sudden high cost dramas - should have dumped it when warranty ended. We have a similar aged Toyota Hilux dual cab petrol ute with 123,000km up & we've just replaced a few batteries, disc pads & a rocker cover gasket - nothing at all by comparison. I owned a Tarago for a while once - no dramas mechanically - just no luggage room when full of passengers - the Vito was the solution and remains the best design but the cost of MB parts and MB Dealer labour rates unfortunately will steer me away from further investment in European cars.

BodyWagon
LineWagon
Date PurchasedMay 2008

Limp mode, mine does this to occasionally and the engine light comes on and goes of. I have had it checked and the local merc specialist said it hard to find and fix an intermittent fault. The electric window on the passenger side is broken. I have put lube on the other so as not to stress the motor. The spare wheel mechanism is stuck. I use mine for renovation work and as a stealth camper. I love it, it has done 160,000 but not hard km. I bought it with 65,000 km and I have had no major problems

BodyCrew Cab
Date PurchasedAug 2009

It's good but it's a Benz and it should be better

90000KMs & the transmission died. $5K repair...... 125000Kms and the electronics under the dash caught fire and the thing was destroyed. Benz, be like "it's out of warranty.. we don't care". Compared with other Vans on the road they drive like a car and if you do long trips they are pretty comfy. Tyres don't last long, brakes don't either. That can get expensive every two years too. A nice comfortable van, but the dash is clunky. You can have a clock but not outside temp. You can have outside temp... but not a clock. This type of crap is not good enough from a marquee product.

Engine Type113
Date PurchasedJun 2009

love the the van but the but not electronics that control it

we purchased this van at an auction [ previously belonged to the health dept ] and it had only 56000 kms on it .We had about 4 years trouble free motoring then to term a phrase the wheels started falling off it was always serviced by a place that serviced ambulances,to get breaks completely replaced cost $1600 then it had serious electronics problems which they couldn't fix and referred me to someone else and after another $1500 later it was back on the road ,6 months down the track electronics problems again only $300 this time . the bottom line is, we love the van, the leg room ,the performance& handling,the fuel consumption but the reliability and repair cost would make us skeptical about having another one.

Date PurchasedSep 2010

my vito is as good as it was in 2002

i bought mine as a demo in 2002. Stock standard manual 108cdi, no luxury add ons. Manual everything. I didput in an aircon, which wasnt very effective due to the volume of the van. After 14 years and 120,000kms still going very well. I did all my oil changes and servicing after the first year. Merc charges too much. Just changed brake pads all round and front disc rotors from supercheapauto. I will never buy anothet judging by the numerous bad reviews from everyone. Maybe I am just lucky with this basic van.

Engine Type108 CDI
Date PurchasedJan 2002

Vito SWB 113cdi, 2012, 2.1 litre diesel.

I bought a SWB crew Vito with back seats bench fitted. I found the Vito to be quite good. I had a big problem with transmission jumping into "limp mode". Very hard to trace cause, as it would happen at any time. After quite some time and all kinds of replacement parts, the dealer arranged for new TCU (transmission control unit). Mercedes Benz was quite good about this as the vehicle was only just out of warranty and they covered the cost. I'm not super impressed with the basic audio system, but It does the job. I found the tyres scrubbing out quickly, but I now fill tyres with nitrogen and this has helped a lot. The only thing I found annoying was that the vehicle was not fitted with safety handles above the doors or handles to assist with entry or egress. I had those fitted after market.

LineWhat?
Engine Type113 CDI
Date PurchasedJun 2013

Reliability plus.

I drive a vito 110cdi as a pilot vehicle, it is a 2012 model will be 4 years old next month. It has 590, 000 ks on the clock and is going as good now aa when it was new. Has never broken down. Only thing that has been repaired is the alternater at 560, 000ks. Yes parts are dear, but that is the norm for any high end euro car.

Linejo blogs
Engine Type110 CDI
TransmissionManual

this is perfect cause we are big family

Mercedes benz vito is comfortable and it it very nice vehicle especially when you have a family,even much enjoyable for the long journey and kids can stay comfort too when I'm driving. And one thing I like about it is it has enough space .And every body in the family crazy about it.

Bodymini combi
LineHigh Roof
TransmissionManual

Great van when it's running

I bought this van knowing it had a bad name for reliability and parts prices. I've owned two Hiaces before and wanted a better van.
While it has great power and handles very well, it's so expensive to keep it on the road it's not economical. I used to be a mechanic in a Benz specialised workshop so none of the prices below are inclusive of labour, I do it all myself.
I bought it at 115k, knowing the auto trans usually fail at 150k. I changed the oil in the "filled for life" transmission and it lasted to 165k. Got prices on rebuilds. $5000 to $8000. Bought all the parts out of Germany, including a torque converter and oil pump, for $1300 and did it myself.
I rings in fuel lines perished at 180k, replace all plastic fuel lines $300
Injector seats started leaking at 200k, replaced 4 injectors at $450 each.
Central locking has been miserable since I bought it, never had it working 100%.
Speedo was reading low, dimming not working, centre display dead, had it repaired by a guy in Victoria, $150. Works great now.
Exterior and interior plastic is very brittle.
Replace CV shafts every 100k.
Replaced cam, crank and MAP sensor at 200k as they were throwing fault codes.
Looking at a Ford Transit Custom now. If only it had twin sliding doors. At least it has bloody cup holders! It will be slower than the 112 but hopefully I can stop working on my own vehicle.
25/10/16 Update. Sold it with 260K on it. Still going well.

Line$15000
Engine Type112 CDI
Date PurchasedApr 2008

will never buy another vito

Purchased from a dealer in January 2006, 4000km, has now done 155000km and serviced as per specifiactions. Interior "appalling quality", but worse of all the airconditioning does not work if temperature is 33c+, blows hot air,had taken back to dealer during and after warranty between 25 and 30 times, they could not find anything

BodyWagon
TransmissionAutomatic

Hiace is downright agricultural after driving the Vito

Well after 13 years of driving 2 Hiace petrol vans from new I decided to step out and look to what Mercedes Benz has to offer after reading too many horror stories about the guzzling iload.
So when it came down to price I compared the iload, Hiace and the Vito 113cdi and the with the cargo barrier, side window, roof racks and mats it worked out the Vito was the most expensive. BUT only by $1000!
So with the bonus of 2 years free servicing every 12 months (not like toyota's ridiculous 6 month servicing for $170 racket and have the van off the road 2 days a year) I took the plunge.
The Vito has 5.2m3 of space vs the Toyota's 6.0m3 of space so it took some reinventing of the wheel to fit all the tools back in. However with the Vito's higher roof (yet the Vito's outside height is 80mm lower than the Hiace) and wider cargo spaces it has worked out actually a better use of space.
Driving the Vito for 3 days now there is just no comparison to the Hiace.
The Vito is quite, handles so much better!, rides bumps without shortening your spine, lower centre of gravity, better fuel economy, excellent vision front and rear and the 5 speed auto is a dream over the 4 speed auto garbage from Toyota.
Honestly as a Toyota man for 27 years and swear by them new buyers of a Hiace should at least test drive a Vito before buying another one.
I will keep you posted as the years roll on with the reliability.

Engine Type113 CDI
TransmissionAutomatic
UPDATE...The Vito is 6 months old now, 10,000kms of city, suburban and country driving have been completed. Tyres wearing well, no faults and the van is a delight to drive after eight hours on the job. Fuel consumption averages 8.3L/100kms about 800+kms out of a tank. The extra sliding door is a real time saver, I am getting tools and parts out all day and when you have 3 openings into the back of the van it can be a time saver. The A/C works well on hot days, it is actually controlled by the engine management so it maximises fuel economy. Would I go back to a Hiace? NO WAY BABY!Well its been 3 years now, 40,000kms and the Vito hasn't missed a beat. Very pleased.

Problem couldn't be fixed

Purchased new, everything was great, except instrument panel was acting erratically but this was fixed under warranty. Once I hit 120,000Km it was all downhill from there. Been in & out limp mode on many occasions. Driving along one day when all of a sudden there was no power. About 60-70% power loss. No warning light. Turn engine off, then on again, back to normal. Was happening 1-2 times a week. Then more frequently. Then went into limp mode. New egr valve ($1700). 6 weeks later limp mode again. Dealership reset. 1 week later problem back. Been into local mechanic & dealership 12 times in 8 months. Spent over $6000 at dealership, another new egr valve, O2 sensor, still not fixed. MB with all their tech & backup support still can't fix it. Only good things I can say is comfortable to drive & excellent fuel economy. Moving into a new Hiace.

Engine Type111 CDI
TransmissionManual

Nothing more than wear and tear

2004 has now done 420,000 ks and still going strong. Only replaced tyres, rear shocks, window sliders and other consumables. Central locking plays up now and again, doesn't always lock all doors, probably a poor contact due to wear. Do most of my own services as MB are nothing but a rip off, or I take it to the loacal mechanic.
Bought filters, pads etc. from Ireland when dollar was good and saved around 50% including freight. Might have to source locally now, but still way cheaper than dealer. Hunt around for parts - don't buy from MB dealer.
Love the drive of this vehicle, really comfortable and roomy, and it goes like the clappers compared to my old Transit van - which was a complete piece of crap by comparison, and unreliable to boot.
Economy is 8 to 8.5 litres per 100ks, so this is good.

Few issues after 208,000km

2005 W639 Viano Trend Diesel, 8 seater. Bought new. Comfortable long distance travel for 8 genuine adults plus some luggage. Tows well, though turbo lag at low revs is noticeable. Have had both front window winders fail, poor design of plastic bits, did a home grown repair the second time. Fuel leak at fuel filter, replaced filter and O rings, suspect the previous filter change did not include the o rings. Slow leak in aircon, needs top up every couple of years, started when under warranty but unable to find the leak.

Front suspension link pins wore in 3 years, replaced them myself. Tires last well once I empirically added a small amount of toe out from factory specs. Long service intervals good, Rear wiper parking erratic, poor design of electrics, a water hose goes through the housing with the contacts, any small seepage results in contact corrosion. The factory rear shocks are too soft. Like the package size, will fit in most car parks and turning circle is good. Electronic differential control is not a patch on a real mechanical LSD.

NVH is reasonable, recently drove a 2015 W447 Valente and it is considerably quieter. Ability to move seats in small increments great, particularly like seat belts built into seats.can remove them totally and get a good low floor van, but hard work single handed. Unable to get a decent workshop manual. Dealer servicing was expensive but no real problems. Once out of warranty have done service work myself except auto transmission and aircon services.

Disappointed replacement W447 is not available as a 4wd in RHD nor are there any engine options on the Valente which is already pretty expensive, and going to a new V class is heading towards $100k! Can't find a suitable replacement, must carry 8 adults and luggage, tow 2000Kg or more, would really like it to be under 1900mm tall, diesel and would like 4wd, so I intend to keep it for now. Not sorry I bought it.

Update July 2019, in the last 4 years have repaired the following:
1 failed glow plug, not that important in Australia but replaced anyway.
Intermittent crank angle sensor, replaced.
Auto Transmission conductor plate failure, stuck in 2nd gear, originally intermittent, $880 parts and labour.
Inside of cat converter loose and rattling, yet to be replaced.
All repairs done by non Mercedes mechanic, regular servicing, oil, filters brakes done by myself.
Still happy with the unit, might consider a used W447 Valente as a replacement.

Purchased in September 2005.

BoughtNew