Mitsubishi Express

Mitsubishi Express

1986-2005, 2006-2013

See the Best Vans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Papaya P.

Papaya P.Perth, WA

No power while accelerating

Hey guys! Have an express l300 Petrol automatique and i have a big problem when am accelerating it as no power at all ! If am accelerate slowly it goes ! I change all filters change the fuel pump change the coil and the sparks leads and problem still there and now sometimes it doesnt want to start !

Can you help me please I cant find the problem!

Calculator? Or engine hs ? ...?

300k kms

Braking
Suspension
Gear Shifting
Fuel Efficiency

Engine randomly stalling and occasional engine firing erratically.

Purchased in January 2019 for $4,000.00.

Noise Level
Comfort

Alan

Alan

Cost effective

Hi All bought my express in 04 paid $27000.00 ten years after my first express same price, have racked up 310,000 Kms finally died the other day, did all the service and oil changes myself, which was not as often as it should have been, van has a false floor for tools so comes in just under two tons, awesome vehicle, glad I bought two, other has only done 26000 Kms, ready for another ten years,

Date PurchasedFeb 2004
Mags

MagsJoondalup

Mitsubishi 2003 model express van

I love my little Mitzy. My brothercslls itnbits are missing instead of Mitsubihi, but he bought one foe his business and he loves it too! It does everything, carries building products and large purchases, takes dogs out, ferries me around effortlessly. My husband changes oil in it regularly and mechanically sound, no problems as yet, touch wood. It is a knockabout vehicle which never lets me down and has done c. 150,000. It had 42,000 when I bought it 11 years ago. I must admit I have pranged it quite a bit but ont mind that ad it has lots of character. I had the timing belt changed at just before 100,000 just to be on the safe side.

Date PurchasedJul 2007

Dibs

DibsNewcastle

Some Minor Teething Problems As A Camper But Getting There

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Reuben

Reubenqld, 4870

Cant get important parts for a mitsubishi express 2003 2L SJ Carby model

The driving is nice when the car actually runs. Its impossible to find Parts such as a Charcoal Canister or a thermostat housing cover.. or many other little things. Like harness clips. Its a bit of a joke if you ask me. Ive been off the road for over a month trying to find a replacement part. A simple thermostat housing??? Every other car its easy to just order a part and then install it.. This van is a headache to work on.. With thermostat on side of block in a ridiculous place.. especially behind the alternator.. Even more ridiculous is that the van is only an express in Australia which makes it next to impossible to search internationally for parts. Its second hand or wreckers or none at all..

Date PurchasedJan 2018

how can i adjust the power steering

Great handling with weight in the back,interior / exterior great but a bit thirsty on fuel and hard to get to things in the engine. Changing components in the engine is also difficult having to drop the motor to get to parts. I prefered the two litre carby model rather than the 2.4litre as performance is very similar and the 2Litre runs on less fuel.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

tdphillipsMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

cheap solid van

Date PurchasedOct 2017
tdphillips

Bought a used power steering setup, $100 complete, bolted in, wheel aligned, easy.

Last word in reliability

Date PurchasedJul 1999

Start shaking

Hi, I bought a Mitsubishi express 2.0 - 1999 5 month ago.. ( 219 000 now ) Since yesterday when I turn on the van the engine shakes. When I drive all is alright but when The car stop the engine start again.. What's the problème ? Serious ? Do I have to go to the garage ? Thanks for your answer !

Date PurchasedSep 2016

peter

peterSydney, NSW

Love my Mitsy

I have owned 5 Mitsubishi Express Vans without any problems , only 1 gearbox in my 1993 Diesel mod which done 687000 klms with no breakdowns , i am now looking for a good 2013 swb ,i think they are the most reliable van out there and cheap to sevice ,its a shame they stopped making them

Date PurchasedMay 2007

Richard from Adelaide

Richard from AdelaideMELBOURNE

Pretty decent, reliable, but still has design issues

Date PurchasedOct 2016

D M

D MSydney west

You get what you pay for. V poor safety

Lot of engine noise coz ur sitting on top of engine. Poor safety. No Airbags. No crumple zone. No ABS. Had a few near miss and two actual accidents due to poor handling in wet conditions. Sold it after the second accident. Do yourself a favour and do a test drive on a rainy day. Mine was as thirsty for petrol and engine oil.
On a positive ( if you do consider) note it's cheap to buy and repair.

Date PurchasedOct 2005

Mario

MarioPerth

breaks lights don't work

I have a Mitsu expressvan and breaks lights don't work at all. Allready changed both of them but still not working. Have checked all fuses and all working.
Do you know how can i canfix it??
Does anybody have the fuse box manual? If you don't mind could you send me a picture please?

TransmissionAutomatic

The best van

I just love it!

glotAU

You get what you pay for

glot

Be aware, timing belt every 90k. 4 hours work. Crank angle sensor. 4 hours work. Small battery. Don't leave parking lights on.

Jim
Jim

What's crank angle sensor?

eveready

eveready

Tireless workhorse

Engine Size2.0L

What you see is what you get

RYZR

Comprehensive and informative review - thanks Bucko!
Any ideas on whether the current model is as bullet proof?
Cheers!

Bucko

Yes the current model is the same as the old one, it has been the same since 2002. The only change was in 06 they went from a 2.0L to a 2.4L to have a bit more power. The 2.4L would be much better, I have the 2.0L

Great for the Price

RYZR

Great info in your review RP - valuable to me as I'm in the market for a courier van.
Pity Mitsubishi don't offer them new at the moment.
Cheers!

David D.

David D.asked

Hey guys! I have a mitsubishi express from 2003, 2.0 gasoline engine, with carburator. Do you know where is the fuel pump located? Is the pump electric or mechanical, and if electric where is the fuse?

Pump in tank.
As far as fuse goes, dunno. Relay behind glovebox. One is starter motor but both the same.

Dianne C.

Dianne C.asked

I had to hard reverse my L300 campervan up a very long and steep drive. It smelled quite burnt and then discovered I had no oil or water. What has happened? She still goes but battles.

Hardball

Burning smell probably clutch.
As for running it out of oil & water - I can't think of a quicker way to kill a motor. Unless you do both at the same time of course.
If you are competent with a bit of DIY, buy a compression tester gauge. They screw into spark plug holes.
Yep, you will have to remove the air breather to do this but it's like two clamps. If it still has the security bolt holding it - throw it in your spares box. That's just something else to slow ya down if you need to inspect/change plugs and/or degrease engine at pre rego time.
Once plugs are all removed (tip. Get that long reach grabber with the flexible shaft before you start - you are going to need it. A magnetic pick up is handy too. Keep them in the top of toolbox) then insert compression gauge in each cyl and crank with WOT. Note compression on each cyl. All should be I dunno around 120psi? Depends on your motor.
If all are low and/or there is wide variance in readings only cure is another engine. Usually from around $700 plus about $500 to do the changeover but I've had em done on two days and was driving it home on the third.
You can reco if bores are not too badly scored but price for a kit is about $1,100 plus labour = $2k, no clutch or radiator. Maybe $1,800 if yours is not complicated with add ons like gas.
A reco with oversize pistons is my reccommendation. It's only 50cc over but that additional compression ratio makes all the difference. I had a 2.4 done and spent the next 12 months pursuing Bob Jane and everyone else to tell me why their tyres were rubbish that kept spinning! Wasn't their tyres. That van is still a goer that takes down Harley's from a standing start (unladen).

Stephen O.

Stephen O.asked

98 engine fit 99

Get an answer from our members and Mitsubishi representatives