Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL

• Software
  • Reliability
M P.

M P.

I'd give a negative score if I could

Panasonic still sell this quite expensive and seemingly high featured dvr, but they have not updated its now very old network apps. The browser does not support the https protocols used almost exclusively now on the internet. This means you can not even update to a different browser using play store as play store will not accept login from an insecure, ie http, browser. So I can't get any of the catch up tv channels that want a user login because they too want https . This expensive pvr has other bad features. I regret ever buying this pvr and will never buy another Panasonic product again, and I'm happy to tell everyone what I think of Panasonic's contempt for its customers. The are many cheaper, better pvrs.

Purchased in July 2018 for $750.00.

mz1

mz1melbourne

Way overpriced

Sometimes when I set it to record programs it just flashes the red "rec1" constantly rather than actually records but the really annoying thing is the blu-ray player will not put out any volume on blu-ray series. No problem on blu-ray movies but nothing for the series. Picture, no sound. I've called Panasonic about this and they "helpfully" got me to turn the unit off and on about a dozen times and then suggested I take it to a Panasonic tech who is miles away from me. Useless! So, yeah, one of the main reasons I bought this unit and it doesn't even work. Won't be buying Panasonic again.

Purchased in May 2019 at eBay for $549.00.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi MZ, sorry we couldn't assist you but it does sound like the product has developed a fault. If you aren't able to take the unit into the service agent, perhaps you can post it to them.

Ian Anderson .Florey 2615, ACT

Disappointed in this unit especially as it cost so much and it's only two weeks old.

The most annoying feature on this unit, (apart from the cost) is that when you are using YouTube, ABC iView and other internet streams the picture appears to be shrunken or cropped with a surrounding black border of 2-3 cm depending on the size of TV screen. Mine is 40"/100cm. My $50 Roku box works so much better and I'll probably keep using it.

Purchased in November 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $669.00.

Set Top Boxes / PVRs / DVRs

Find out how Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL compares to other Set Top Boxes / PVRs / DVRs

Graeme B.

Graeme B.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Hopeless for managing a video library

Purchased in November 2017 at Harvey Norman.

MefistofeleVictoria

Steep Learning Curve!

Purchased in April 2019.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Mefistofele, thank you for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback, we appreciate the great features you mention and the way you would like to see improvements for the product.

Mefistofele

I would have liked the DVD player to be multi-zoned out-of-the-box!

Lou Symonds

Lou SymondsMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Updated from my old Panasonic SD Twin Tuner

Purchased in June 2019 at Harvey Norman for $467.00.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Lou, thank you for the detailed positive feedback. It is great to see you have been able to see the upgrades from your old recorder. The 1 second start up is definitely a great feature for those last minute recordings.

jessieinnewy51

jessieinnewy51Hunter Region, NSW

Good Performer but slightly Over Priced by some retailers.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Jessie, thank you for providing such detailed feedback and information on how to setup the product. Great to see your good use of the operating instructions also!

TattzAU

Advertising Agencies Hate This Device

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Paula, thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review on the product. Please contact our customer service team on 132600 if you would like assistance with the sync issue.

bilnrobn

bilnrobnWestern Australia

A great recorder, but some Manual info a bit sketchy

The straight forward stuff is well explained and easy to follow. I love it. However some instructions are a little hard to find or follow. Recording a programme on every Monday to Friday I know is possible, but have yet to discover how to set it. For the moment I'm working around that and my overall impression is favorable.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Three Tuners: the Way to Go

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Sandipooh

SandipoohSydney, NSW

It works but overall disappointing for a premium priced product

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Peter K

Peter KTaree, NSW 2430

Near perfection. Without something like this, watching commercial TV is plain impossible.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Roger H

Roger H

Coming to terms with losing Tivo.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
mrpatto

mrpattoSydney

Great when it works

I love this recorder when it works. With 3 HD tuners I never miss a show and can watch all my catch up without adds. I don't know if it's just my one but every few months I've had to reset it as it's stopped recording. As I said I love it but could work better.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Bumper

BumperMelbourne

Panasonic fantastic recorder.

This Panasonic DMR-BWT955 GL Blu-Ray Recorder is just great,it has 3 tuners which allows for more recording options, the editing feature is so good and easy to use, the up-scaling to 4K is also great, it produces a great 4K like picture. You can also set serial recording and so easy to setup from the TV guide feature.

Peter

PeterPerth, WA

This machine is almost perfect

Fantastic quality recordings, huge amount of recording space (2GB), plays Blu-Rays and region free DVDs. Recording through the Guide is so easy even Mon-Fri recordings. Can record three programmes at once. Be sure to update the firmware immediately on purchase, this solves a few problems recording through the Guide. Haven't tried 4K as my TV is not capable.

Thad

ThadRyde

If only it worked the way it should

The recorder does not always record the TV program from the TV guide. Selecting a TV program to record every week the unit will not record the TV programme if it does not obtain the information from the TV guide, which is often. The recorder has a problem obtaining (reading) current TV guide from the various TV channels. Also beware the recorder only up-scales to 4k which means it will not play 4k dvd's

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Gazzasbees

GazzasbeesAnna Bay

Excellent unit and has not missed a beat so far

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Unable to do basic things

NOT a TIVO alternative. Can not pause live tv unless you are recording it. Can not pause a recording and watch another channel. Very bad control. To many basic hic ups to list. I believe that all the great reviews are submitted by Panasonic staff. Third Panasonic purchase. Tv is ok. Home theatre product the worst I have ever bought.

Gavin17

Gavin17Noosa Heads Qld

BEWARE - DOES NOT PLAY 4K DVD/VIDEOS - Despite 4K Badge!

Bought this unit and 4K OLED TV to watch 4K Videos as the clear BOLD 4K badging on the unit and tech data showed that it was 4K ...but it will not actually play 4K Videos as expected.....".cannot read this..."
I feel quite unimpressed by this deception and feel mislead by the Panasonic presentation and marketing information. Accordingly I cannot recommend it as a 4K device.

Craig S.asked

Hi my panisonic recorder l only hear the sound when l push the 1x3 button whys that

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Craig, sorry what sound are you referring to?

Craig S.

I only hear the sounds on my disc when the previews are playing when the main movie comes on theres no sound

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Craig, please give our customer service team a call on 132600 for further assistance so we can try troubleshooting over the phone with you.

D'onn

D'onnasked

I have had no problem with this unit until a few weeks ago the unit decided it was no longer going to play purchased blu ray discs, all other discs work including bd-r so I'm wondering why all genuine release blurays have ceased to work in my DMR BWT955gl, genuine release dvds work, bluray recordable discs work, cds work. What happens is the unit goes to read the the gen released movie, displays HIGH CLARITY SOUND strolls across the units display and returns to tv without any messages! Is this a disc drive failure or a HD processor failure? I hope someone can and has had this issue rectified, Cheers.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi D'onn, sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your recorder. So we can assist you further, please contact our customer service team on 132600.

Val M.asked

My dmr-bwt955 will not play my box set of laurel & hardy dvds. It says, they cannot be played in your region.

Ian Anderson .

Unit only plays region 6 discs (Australia) and if you bought the box set overseas they probably will not be region 6 discs.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Val, please contact our customer service team on 132600 and we can provide the details of a service centre who can provide a region enhancement on your recorder.

Val M.

Thank you. I contacted your service centre and they put me on to Techworks (1300 074 512). I phoned them and they have a service centre in Malaga, WA where I would need to take it for the region code to be changed free of charge as long as I take my receipt with me. Thanks again.

Get an answer from our members and Panasonic representatives

Download manual