Renault Trafic

Renault Trafic

X82, X83.I, X83.II and X83.III

Crap car, worse service

I bought a new trafic LWB twin turbo. It's fast and comfortable but that's where it ends. It has 17000km on it and has had a new clutch, new gear lever cables, new harmonic balancer, oil sprayed all over the alternator, eco button stop working and struggling to select reverse after the clutch replacement. The car is less than 1 year old. It has spent 7 weeks getting repairs in a 50 week ownership by me from new. 14% of the time I have owned it it was in the shop. The dealer Brian Hilton Gosford keeps sending me to Renault Australia and they don't give a stuff. I have purchased a new one elsewhere as I cannot trust this van to take me to work. Fair trading next.

**EDIT** the oil came from a failed harmonic balancer. Mechanic told me it could be consistent with the engine being dropped(at Brian Hilton possibly). He put a new balancer on but found the crank shaft damaged. Another 2 months in the shop and I now have a new engine in the car.

Purchased in March 2018 for $40,000.00.

Noise Level
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort
It still in the shop getting a new engine. About 2 months now. The first time was 1 month. 18% of the time I owned this car it was broken

These van are rubbish

Gearbox stiff in winter and will pqck in after 8 years, injectors fail and need to change all 4, really shocking how brutally cheap these vans are, how can thry get away with making and selling them.

Purchased in June 2017 for $4,000.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Big white elephant.

Overall cheap to run. Good luck on getting dealer and manufacturer back up on warranty issues near impossible. Had the wrong car delivered 3 times. Took 6 months and threatened court action to resolve. This vehicle has only 30000 klms on the clock 2016 model. At the moment interior grab handles are melting with the summer heat and renault dealer have implied I am responsible for this. Booking a service is a farce as they have a 6 week wait at the moment here in Brisbane south. Sliding door has dropped and the dealer has told me to stop using it so mutch. It must only be for decoration . A $45000.00 lemon. Thoroughly disgusted with the dealers and Renault Australia.

BadgeTech.
Engine Size$45000.00 lemon
LineL2 H2
Date PurchasedJun 2016
Follow up. All the vehicle details issued by Renault / dealer are in another firm s name found this out today when getting warranty issues addressed. . Only rego and insurance and original purchase details in my name on my paperwork. The debate continues.

Excellent 2016 LWB

I purchased new in July 2016 and have done 65,000 klms in 2 1/2 years. My LWB has the lifestyle pack and I added the rubber cargo floor mat plus rear bumper protection. Both of these add-ons I would highly recommend. The rubber cargo mat stops items sliding around and the rear bumper still looks brand new after 2 1/2 years of commercial use. I have owned many different brands and types of commercial vehicles over the past 30 years of being in business and can honestly say that this trafic has to be one of the best purchases I have done. The vehicle drives like a car, I do 1,000 klms per tank around town or 930 klms with the air on. On a few occasions I have taken it on country roads and it has handled like a passenger vehicle. The service intervals are incredible, however I did have to replace the brakes at 50,000 klms. I did my research on other brands, test drove all vans and spoke to other owners before making my decision on which one to buy. I only came across one courier who had many problems with his Renault. I paid $45,000 drive away with every option and have not looked back. If you are considering one, do yourself a favour and talk to other owners plus drive the Toyota, Hyundai etc. i can not fault

Date PurchasedJul 2016

The crew cab is concept , 5 seats and more room then a dual cab Ute in the back

I really love the concept of this car it luxurious and ticket all of he box’s. But that where it stops
The van will not reverse up a descent hill. The way I describe it it’s like starting of in second the gear ratio is the bad. it’s been back to the dealer and the dealer reply. “can you drive a manual car”which I gave him the key and I said can reverse it up the Sevice ramp to which he couldn’t. The car was booked in and the clutch was only replaced not the underlying issue.
Two weeks later the was ready to which I drove 1hr to the dealer to pick it up. The car radio issue was fixed. How ever they said now the car won’t even start.
Three days later it was ready they told me the clutch was out in backwards, if that even possible The reverse sensor was replaced now they don’t even work.
The car is still the same, I have sent two emails to Renault Australia with no reply and there is no contact number.

If your reading this and considering buying I would test drive one and find a hill.

I have now spoken with other customer’s that have this van and have the same issue.

BadgeDCI 140
Date PurchasedSep 2017

Best work vehicle I’ve had in 20 yrs

Best business purchase I’ve made. Bought this new and now has over 140,000 kms, always loaded and towing heavy trailers most of the time. Never had any major issues. Never breaks down. Fantastic fuel economy. Never had gearbox issues (6 speed manual). Comfortable enough to use on weekends going to the shop. I have the long wheel base and drives like a car not a large van. I can not recommend this van highly enough. Even the price is fairly cheap for what you get. And the 2.0 diesel never feels under powered in any situation. Best work car I’ve ever owned and it’s been an asset to the business. I’d buy another one tomorrow without hesitation.

Badgedci115
Line0
Date PurchasedSep 2014

Just a fantastic van

I purchased a swb trafic in sept 2016 and by nov 18 has not skipped a beat..and has done 129,000 km in that period..drove from Gold Coast to Goulburn and still had fuel left for approx another 100 km further..so fuel efficient it is amazing.. and very spacious to load all kitchen equipment for travelling. In fact it is one of the best cars i have ever purchased. Looking forward to the next one but will go for a LWB dual..i just love my trafic..service has been impeccable too.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Terrible van

I use this van for my business as a car detailer. It has my whole business on board and is a massive advert for me. It has been utterly horrendous and I will never purchase another. It has done under 40k and so far has had.. a new turbo, aircon condenser, fuel pump, master cylinder, gear link cables, radio, gearbox. It’s pathetic and so is the customer service.. please avoid even the dealers admit to them being problematic!

BadgeComfort
Date PurchasedJun 2017

Good to drive, better looking than most vans

My van is used for my carpet cleaning business

After a minor prang, it took 3 months for replacement parts to arrive (sliding door and rear panel) from France. It was frustrating because the van looked like a half chewed minty and didn’t reflect well on my business.

Seems to be burning oil quickly, dipstick on low 5000km after first service. Despite getting it serviced at 15,000km and their recommended interval is 30,000km.

Doesn’t like going up steep driveways in forward motion. Vehicle wouldn’t get traction on front wheels and needed to be towed.

Other than that - comfortable drive, great looks and great size for my business

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Do not purchase

I have had the Trafic since new in May 2017. The master clutch has been replaced 6 times, air bag sensor failed nd had to be replaced, then the air conditioner motor failed. Have just had to have my breaks replaced and was told that the rotors only have a life expectancy of 40,000kms. Dropped of the van to have breaks changed and has taken 5 days as the dealership doesn’t have any in stock.
They should not be allowed to sell this pos in Australia if they cannot perform to the Aussie conditions.
The dealership I purchased it from (Brian Hilton Gosford) is an absolute waste of time to deal with

DO NOT BUY A TRAFIC

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Always needing to replace parts.

Our last Renault needed to have the gearbox replaced and our current one is needing a new fuel sensor gauge which is going to be expensive since it is in the fuel tank and the part itself is $500-$600.
Our local dealership closed because they were sick of always fixing these vehicles and having the same people coming in regularly with issues.

Date PurchasedOct 2012

expensive piece of trash

I had the automatic manual 2011 model and it blew a $12,000 hole in my pocket over 2 years and only 25000 kms. Every time you need a part it takes weeks to come from Europe with a thousand dollar price tag. My van only had 71,000kms when I purchased it and the slave valve went within 5,000kms! then about 10,000kms later the whole hydraulic system went which took 10 weeks to fix!!! then the alternator blew from Renault service themselves dripping oil all over it while working on the hydraulic system resulting in 3 more weeks off the road. This van was a headache from the second I purchased it from the gears being clunky and terrible in slow traffic to the amount of time off the road getting repaired. This is the first and last European car ill ever touch!! the services are very expensive and while the fuel consumption is low on these vans if you have one thing go wrong they cost a fortune to fix!

BadgeBase
LineL2 H1
Date PurchasedMar 2016

They have gear box issues but I still love it

I now have 4 in the fleet and have rebuilt the gear box in 2 of them 4 times each, I do 60,000 km per year and 2 are now over 300,000km yes they have issues but they are awesome to drive and comfortable for the long drives we do, fuel efficiency is awesome and pay for the extant repairs that come up here and there. I found a great mechanic in Sydney who saved my last van and 7k off the repair bill, Hitech at mascot, ask for Gary and John great guys, I was quoted 10,500 at Renault to do the job these guys did it for 3500 and saved my van, they also found the gone that has been there for 2 years.
I would love to convert it to electric like what they are doing in the UK, honestly I have driven all vans and this one tops them all, you just have to learn how to deal with the issues. Not cheap to repair but I like my legs, and servicing is every 15k not 10k dont drive it like a rave car, drive it like a truck and give plenty of space and enjoy the fuel savings. 1000km per tank. And get a good mechanic and tow truck for when you need them.

BadgedCi 90
LineL2 H1
Date PurchasedJun 2012

Desperate

To whom it may concern,

I purchased a Renault van from Peter Warren Car Dealers on 26/06/2015, in order to save up the deposit for our family home, I have purchased a demo van with only 1000 kilometres travelled.

Last Saturday, on 26/05/2018, my van has stopped on the road suddenly for no reason and been towed to the nearest mechanics in Silverwater and the technician called me saying that my van’s timing chain has broken and giving me a quote about $15k to fix the problem with no guarantee and I can’t really afford this bill either since we have just bought our family home and my wife is pregnant with our second baby. Therefore, I called Renault customer service this afternoon and [name removed] answered the call, unfortunately, she said that my van has already been out of insurance and there is nothing that Renault can do about it. I am so disappointed and devastated about her answer since I have only used this van for 2 years and 11 months and for it is still new for me.
When I purchased this van, I was told that I would have three years insurance. Help us please, I have not even paid off the chattel mortgage for my van yet and now its timing chain broken with indefinite bills to pay. I am working as courier for Smartways Logistics and this Renault van was recommended by my colleague because of Renault’s good quality but it seems like it is totally the other way around and it is already been incorrigible to be repaired before I paid off the van loan, what’s a pity and I have also got a colleague who has been using Toyota Hiace for 20 years and it has always been working fine. Could you believe that a only three-year old van broke it timing chain for no reason? I have to say that I am so disappointed about Renault and will never recommend any of my friends or colleagues to purchase Renault Van anymore. To be frank, I did have a very good time using my Renault van (the design, space and three seats in front are perfect) and I has been taken very good care of it (if you see from the appearing, it looks a brand new van with my favourite NBA & music band posters on its back), however it is broken incorrigibly, what can I do? Should I just dump my only three year old van?

BadgeIntegral
Date PurchasedJun 2015

This Renault Trafic has been nothing but trouble, don't go near it.

We purchase the Trafic new in December 2016. In January 2017 the door handle came out of the sliding door. It was repaired at the dealers.
Door handle came out again a few weeks later and we told they had used a new part to remedy the problem. A few weeks late the door handle came out again and this time they fixed it properly( after many wasted hours without the vehicle). Next was the clutch master cylinder which went. We were told a new part was fitted. A few weeks later the clutch master cylinder want again and it had to go back to be repaired again. Next the air conditioner went warm and the engine hazard light came on, the radiator was losing coolant due to a crack in the radiator tank. Repaired at the dealer.
The problem occurs again and the van is taken back to the dealer and during all these problems the Melville dealer wouldn't phone back and in many cases would not take the phone calls which were made to find out when the van would be ready as any parts required had to come from the east and we are in WA and in this case they had to replace a hose(5 days off the roard) Picked the van up and within 10 km the same problem occurs and coolant is pouring out the bottom of the radiator. After much discussion and hesitation the dealer sent out a mechanic who, after one look organised it to be towed back to the dealership., Another part had to be ordered from the east so many more days without a vehicle. I contacted the head office to complain about all these problems and theysaid they would contact me when their WA manager was next in Perth so we could have a meeting. That was 6 months ago and I am still waiting.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Unfortunately Not So Good

I bought my van near new with 12,000 kms on the clock in June 2016. First tow episode was at about 14,000 kms when the clutch master cylinder bypassed leaving me stranded. On the upside, the tow, retrieval and repair was handled well and back on the road two days later. This van is great to drive and performs very well so no issues there. I had a check engine light back in December last year which was cleared and did not return immediately. The light came back on 2 months ago, same issue and it turned out to be a blocked manifold pressure sensor tube from the exhaust manifold up to the sensor. This was disgnosed and cleared by a local repairer, cost $600 as no warranty support near me and Renault would not help with a sublet warranty repair and refused to supply any technical support. This van has only ever run genuine ELF oil and has had much more frequent service than recommended by Renault, so disappointed that we get a carbon blocked sensor tube inside 50K. This lasts about 300 k's and the light sets again but this time the vehicle stops completely with an engine hazard warning light as well and leaves me stranded roadside. The vehicle was towed again to the nearest Renault dealership on March 14th (different one to the first failure) and to this day it is still there. I have now been off the road for coming up six weeks and the communication from the dealership has been atrocious. It was two weeks before anyone contacted me at all. Keeping in mind this is a commercial van, being off the road for 6 weeks is completely unacceptable. I am told that it has a failed turbo boost sensor, it took over a week to get the part to the dealership and was fitted early this week. At this stage, I still don't know whether or not the repair has been successful. All up my impressions are not good.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

The absolute worst get the Hyundai Iload

Won't change gears so we have to get it into a dealer. can't get into a dealer untill a month away. If you're looking at a renault for business please stay sway as Renault Australia has no say when someone could see your car. we have low mileage $77000 and already looking at a possible $12000.00 plus the cost of being without our company vehicle. Had an independent mechanic look at it and he can't believe we are having mechanical failures like this so early on with such low mileage. The are too expensive and the service is too slow for your business to rely on such an investment/liability Will Keep updated.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Worst transmission of any vehicle I have driven in 30 years. Nothing but troubles

Got it new. It's called an auto..it's not it is a auto shift single clutch manual. BIG difference. First problem week 2. ERG valve melted. Causing errors which were constantly reset by Renault without repair. When repaired no parts. Two weeks turn around. Next radio stopped working. Software update removed temp on display did not fix the radio. AC hose was not connected so the water from AC filled interior under the floor. Notice when stinking water poured out the back when parked on a steep hill. Next transmission issues. Poor shifts, no shift, missing gears, revving to the limiter before slamming into gears. Renault denied any problem. Ran into the house because it did not select reverse. Then it stopped selecting gears intermittently in traffic, stopped driving it towed to Renault they changed the ECU. Finally while driving at 80 Kph the trans blew. No drive no gears.
Gearbox was replaced 3-4 weeks. Air con hose rubbed thru on a bracket Renault charged $600 to fix even though I know other vans have done exact same issue.
Company runs several vans same problems to varying degrees on all of them. We are not replacing them after lease with Renault
The dealer in Berwick was good. Croydon glen Waverly didn't want to know.
Worst vehicle ever

BadgedCi 90
Date PurchasedJun 2014

Great van

The renault trafic is a great van with excellent fuel economy with over 1000kms per 90 litre tank. Very attractive in my opinion and tough. The SWB van can easily swallow a full pallet with the barn doors. I wish I had a wiper on the rear but that is a small omission.

BadgeDCI115
Date PurchasedNov 2013

Great work van

Love this new work van! Purchased last month and really happy with my choice. It drives well, looks good and has good fuel consumption. It also has so much storage, drink holders, compartments everywhere! Even a huge amount of storage under the seat, which other vans don't have. Would highly recommend!

BadgeBase
Date PurchasedAug 2017

Any one having radio problems? Bought van new last year. Ever since new my radio would go to static noise only, when i turn my car on,this would happen few times a week, been back n forth to dealer for about 9 month prob took it in 10 times. Got worse every time i took it in. It would go to static every time i start car, starting loosing it memories of stations, than gps memory start to go. Eventually they change to new head unit towards end of 1 year ownership. Than it started again like i original got it. It would go to static once a while, took back,now's its allmost every time i start car, last time changed the attenna mount, Still same. I dont know if this will ever get fix. With all the down time the car is in renault... it be comming a burden... on my business. Renault sa very time bring it we have a look at it...
My radio is fine. But my engine/clutch and harmonic balancer is not. It has been in the shop about 19-20 % of the time I have owned it. Serious drain on my business. I have $6k in cost while the peice of crap van has been in for warranty work. I had to buy another van just to go to work. BTW the new engine and clutch prob would have cost me $15k if it happened 1 day after the warranty ended. And good luck getting the time of day from the dealer who sold it to me.Had similar problems but with the blue tooth from van to phone Drops out back to dealer but no luck. Also maps were out of date when vehicle was purchased new. Renault brisbane wanted $30 to update. Did it for nothing after contacting consumer affairs office of fair trading. Now the rear wiper arms fell off while driving. Will be going back to the new hiace when it is released Renault Australia do not give a toss on service once you purchase one. Also van now cronaclly pulls to the left Back to Renault , they informed me they all do it and cannot do anything about it. Good luck with the radio issue I have had none.

the reviews im reading have turned me off buying the van, I have been excited for the upcoming test drives and was looking forward to purchasing.. I don't feel confident anymore as from what I have read the customer service is atrocious and dealerships have no respect or any urgency to have a vehicle back on the road efficiently.. why are these vans having such major issues so early on and furthermore why are these problems not rectified straight away?
My traffic is still in the shop 2 months later. The first time was 1 month. Less than 17000km on it and 1 year old it's getting a new engine as we speakWow, that’s appalling I’m not sure how it’s even legal to do that to a customer. 1 year old.. all well and good if it’s under warranty but the van shouldn’t be in the shop for than a week.dod they provide a curtesy car?9 weeks to have the engine replaced.

Guys I have my Renault Trafic 2013 deisel Van bogged in mud where the hell is towing point at front - Just want to pull it out manual tells me naught

Trafic X82Trafic X83.ITrafic X83.IITrafic X83.III