Schmitt Fermentation Crock 5L

Schmitt Fermentation Crock 5L

4.0 from 1 review

See the Best Kitchenware Shops in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

The best thing over jars...

I was struggling to make enough kraut, kimchi, etc in jars, especially after finding out one of my neighbours had grown up in Poland and was reduced to eating the awful supermarket stuff - his other half is like mine... doesn't eat anything pickled at all. So I always pass along lots to him, when I get cheap cabbages. Jars are annoying to ferment in, you get overflows occasionally, etc etc.

This thing is magic, I just pack it and let it do it's job. I'm so glad I bought this, and being German made, you know there's nothing nasty in the glazes. I got a nice cream coloured one. It just sits on my pantry bench, bubbling away.

The only problem is that you have to pack it right by where you want to stand it whilst fermenting. The handles don't actually have a 'dugout' for your fingers, they're flat underneath and very slippery. DO NOT attempt to move this by the handles whilst full.

I recommend checking the 'moat' twice a day, morning and evening - by the way, little trick, add a little vinegar to the moat water... it stops anything going sour in the water, or any other problems in the water.
Do check the glaze inside thoroughly. Mine had a tiny glaze fault outside - no problem.

People have reported a 'suck back' effect in the moat due to pressure being unequal. when this happens, lift the lid somewhat to let some gas bubble out. The water in the moat should return to it's true level.