Sony BDPS3500

MPN: SNY-BDPS3500

RonnyCraven

RonnyCravenSydney Surrounds, NSW

Huge blue from hour one

The promotional blurb claims this unit will play anything. Having just lost our Kogan Blue Ray player, which we have used for three years as a media centre, we jumped at this Sony from Harvey Norman. Our portable storage has hundreds of files, all previously watched on the Kogan . This unit only has sound on about 35% of them. The rest . . . unsupported audio. So much for Sony playing anything. Shame it was a joy to operate the menu and get i-view. But it goes back tomorrow. Plug and play? Was there ever a bigger misnomer?

Purchased in February 2020 at Harvey Norman for $141.00.

Auto changes

Auto changes source without touching any buttons on Samsung tv, Love it, Just turn it on and it automatically goes from tv to dvd. I am thinking of buying another for my bedroom

Purchased at eBay for $79.00.

Danielle Stevens

Danielle StevensPerth, WA

Seems a very good device

Purchased in August 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $148.00.

Steph

StephSydney, NSW

Inconsistent operation

At first this was fine but the older it gets the more frustrating it becomes. Some of the apps don’t work but more annoyingly, dvds and Blu-ray that the kids have watched countless times now don’t work at all. The machine tells me there’s no disc but. We have literally watched some of these DVDs over 20 times. They aren’t scratched. The scratched ones strangely enough play fine. Can’t Figure it out

Purchased in October 2017 at JB Hi-Fi.

Roy

RoySydney, NSW

Current model from Sony, but not good for AU apps

The 9Now and 7plus apps no longer appear on my Sony PDS-P3500.

According to Sony Australia . “For this case, it is confirmed that the unit is not detecting the 9Now & 7plus apps due to hardware limitation.

You may still access 9now and 7plus apps on other 3rd party media devices to connect to the TV like set top boxes, desktop/laptop computers etc..”

Good one Sony. I will take your advice and buy other brands in future.

Purchased in February 2018 at The Good Guys.

Bobb09

Bobb09Gippsland, VIC

Unreliable and intermittent operation for the entire 7 months since purchase.

Paid $145 for this unit as we still have many DVD/BRD discs, but also access web TV/Netflix and play our memory stick movies through USB.
I've lost count of the number of times the unit has simply stopped responding to the remote, to switching ON/OFF and powering down and up again, then for no apparent reason works again the next day. Last incident it lost all connectivity to the internet over our home wifi, although all other devices were working. Could not re-connect no matter how many times I went through wifi/internet setup. Then next day after resetting to factory defaults and redoing the entire setup it worked again. I am considering returning the unit and demanding a refund.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

AwfulSydney, NSW

Typical Sony product: Major design flaw; "not" Sony's problem!

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Rod M

Rod MTurramurra

very good

picked this up for $89 from sony ebay site as a seconds but came in pretty much new condition, very easy to setup and had very decent load times for both DVD and Blu Ray, WIFI setup was easy and netflix/ Iview and you tube work perfectly, connected this up to an old Samsung LCD for the kids and certainly works better than an old gen DVD plaver we were using,

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Wilfred v

Wilfred vVic, 3199

Great add if you don't have a smart TV

This Bluray player gives you wifi connectivity and allows for casting and internet and app access.
It plays Bluray, cd,DVD,USB, and can live stream via pre installed aps or you can add from the Opera. store.
The inbuilt wifi works well but I have had compatibility problems trying to cast from my LG phone. I have no problems though from my Lenovo tablet. Playback of Bluray has a quite fast load process. Connection is by HDMI and gives fast clear signal. Bluray are in HD and DVDs are upscaled for better picture. It also supports DLNA devices. It is a great option to bring some smart tv functionality to a standard tv.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Dcc.

Dcc.asked

I use a 1tb external hard drive ,it will play some AVI movies but not others , is it a dvd player issue.

Steve B

Steve Basked

Can change a setting on the dvd player to watch region 1 DVDs (outside of Australia),then quickly put it back to take region 4 DVDs ( Australia).

DNO

DNOasked

How do I fix the constant issue of the device not playing any of the video service Apps?
I can access YouTube through the painful to use web browser, but not through the YouTube App.
Same issue with Netflix etc.
Is there some update that I'm not getting?

Awful

Ahrrr well, this is the great "smart" everything's dirty little secret. For ANY product to stream ANY service, (eg SBS on Demand, 9 Now, Netflix etc), the service provider has to make an app available specifically FOR THAT PRODUCT. With PCs or Android phones/tablets they nearly all run the same apps, so that's no problem. With your Sony BDPS3500, not only do the service providers have to get round to writing new Apps, Sony have to get round to adding the new Apps to the latest upgrade BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN INSTALL NEW APPS! What can also happen is the service provider's existing App can get outdated but they don't bother writing updated ones for older models like yours. So Apps that used to work suddenly don't any more....
As you've found.
If you want to buy a Smart TV with the intention of streaming, get the salesman to demonstrate that it can actually stream all the services you want FIRST!

Get an answer from our members and Sony representatives

Download manual