Stihl MSA 140C

Stihl MSA 140C

5.0 from 1 review

See the Best Battery Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Jay EssAlbury

Cordless lightweight wonder

A previous Ryobi electric chainsaw finally threw in the towel after almost a decade of dead-weight heaviness and an extremely fiddly tensioning adjustment. The STIHL is a game changer. It is light, cordless, reliable, easy to clean, accurate, narrow kerfed and beautifully designed. The battery (included, with charger) will last for hours and will fit other Stihl devices (mowers, trimmers etc.). What I love is the chain speed and, if used properly, it won't pinch as readily as other wider chained saws. I was hooked as soon as I picked it up and used it for a few hours, straight out of the box.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

nonrev

nonrevasked

I purchased a MSA-140C nice saw, the only problem that I have with it is it seriously over oils the chain, what a mess. I know there is no external adjustment on these saws for the oiler but there has to be some type of fix for this IE a small plug that would go in the line with a smaller diameter hole in it to limit the flow maybe? Thanks for any help or ideas you can give me.

Jay Ess

Depends upon the viscosity of your chain oil. If it is too thin it will literally splash off the chain in misty droplets. This is not necessarily a problem but you will go through a fair bit of oil on big jobs and need to clean the bar and outer drive mechanisms more regularly. Stihl recommend their own oil but it is still quite thin (excuse the pun).

RussellDasked

1. Could you list what comes in the box when you buy this saw?
2. What is the correct size file for the chain?

Jay Ess

Battery, charger and chainsaw skin. After consistent use since purchase I can confirm it is a perfect medium duty chainsaw - light, narrow kerf, easy to clean, just get the best oil available. The cheap stuff is too viscous in cold weather.

RussellD

Thanks Jay Ess. I'm enjoying mine too. Excellent for smaller work and makes cuts so clean I plan on simply sanding the cut surfaces on the discs I'm cutting off 3 and 4" branches to turn them into coasters after oiling or applying some sort of finish. The narrow chain is a big part of the quality and effectiveness of this saw. I'm tempted to get the $40 chain sharpening device; I like the idea of the rakers being filed at the same time as the cutters.
I've since found out the correct file size is 1/8th inch.

Get an answer from our members and Stihl representatives