MSA 160 C-BQ, MSA 160 C
See the Best Battery Chainsaws in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Stihl? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

3.8
    DobsWimmera, VIC

High quality cordless/battery Chainsaw

This chainsaw performs like a petrol driven chainsaw only it is a lot lighter to handle. I used this saw for the first time on our travels through NSW and QLD, we free camp the majority of the time and have camp fires nearly every night. I cut red gum and box wood upto 200mm thick with ease. Little pressure required to cut this size wood and the battery required little charging. For every Led light down on the battery it took only fifteen minutes to per light to fully charge, that is if 2 x leds were out it would take .5 of an hour to charge. Overall this is one very impressive chainsaw, would recommend to anyone who is travelling or into camping, best thing no noise !.

Date PurchasedJune 2018

Find out how Stihl MSA 160 C / MSA 160 C-BQ compares to other Battery Chainsaws

jabhwb
    jabhwb

Exasperating

At last, I've had enough of this chainsaw. Now I see they discontinued it. A pity I paid good money for one before they did. All the oil leaks out of this thing between uses. You fill it up, but then paradoxically, when you switch it on it won't oil the chain! I have never been able to take this out of the cupboard and use it without taking it to the shop. They can't stop this happening. We have a lot of stihl equipment. This is something stihl should have been ashamed to put their name on.

Date PurchasedDec 2014
    choosyperson
    choosypersonMelbourne

Excellent product and after sales service

This is a great product with everything you want in an advertised product i couldn't recommend any product I've purchased, with a more adhered to promise...both for the product and after sales service. I suppose when you buy the cheaper stuff you get what you pay for why not pay tbe few extra dollars and get quality.

big-m
    big-mHunter Region, NSW

Surprising amount of cutting power from a cordless chainsaw.

This is part of Stihl's 36 volt cordless family of tools. Short, 12 inch bar, with all of the usual features of a petrol chainsaw. Well balanced, and easy to handle. I have cut big hardwood slabs with this little saw, and it just wants to keep going. Recharges in 20 minutes. Uses a standard Stihl chain. I recommend it for someone trying to avoid having cans of fuel around the garage, or who wants to do things quietly!

Michael1
    Michael1

I am 80 year old female and use this

This is very good for me to use helping my husband on our 3 acre property wish I had it sooner it is so good and very easy to use

It's a Chainsaw

This thing is fully sic, Used it to cut a tree and got halfway before I made my misses finish the job, Felt like Darth Vader Using it, Schwoom Schwoo the same noise a lightsaber makes you know from the star wars movies, one through to 5 only, think the sound changed in the sixth one.
    The color

peeto
    peetoasked

what size chain do I look for to suit 160c

steve

usually it comes with a 12 inch bar. The chain for this is a 44 drive link, 3/8 low profile, 043 gauge chain. If you look near the long slot of the bar you will see stamped into the bar these measurements.

Arch F.
    Arch F.

I have a battery stihl chainsaw which leaks oil from the port that puts oil on the chain. Done it from new and sent it back only to be told “that’s what they do”. A great little saw but their weak excuse means I will not buy another stihl product.
    Arch

Brad.S
    Brad.S

The chain is not a 3/8 low profile, it's a 1/4". The only Stihl battery chainsaw that has a 3/8 low profile chain is the newly released MSA 220 C-B.

Valerie Jones
    Valerie Jonesasked
    MSA 160 C / MSA 160 C-BQ

Why is my Stihl leaking oil?

Dobs

Hi Valerie, Denis here, I have this Model Chainsaw and could not be happier with its performance. There are 2 locations where oil comes from, one being the oil reservoir to supply oil for the chain, this has a cap that is sealed with an "o" ring and this may need replacing or get a replacement cap, not expensive. The other oil that you maybe getting is oil build up off the chain and this is normal, if storing or carrying in vehicle just place a absorbent cloth under the saw. Hope this helps.

Jed
    Jed

My MSA 200C leaks from a third place a valve from the oil tank air vent "Stihl Valve # 1128 640 9100".

Bevan
    Bevanasked
    MSA 160 C / MSA 160 C-BQ

with a MSA160-BQ and a AP300 Li-ion battery pro 36V227W H and the AL300 rapid charger will a 650 watt inverter sufficient to operate the charger to charge the battery. Reason for this is I have this size inverter in my caravan.

Dobs

Hi Bevan, I have the same battery charger and it requires 290 watts input to run charger, however to actually start the charger it requires considerable more wattage, I have a Redarc pure sine wave 350 watt charger and it will not charge the AL 300 Battery. If your charger is a pure sine wave charger it may be enough to get that initial start up required. I had to revert to my 2KV generator to charge the battery. Sorry I cannot be specific on just what size Inverter is required. I would put the charger on your inverter, place the battery in the charger and test, if the green light comes on and stays on and the Battery lights are flashing, that is the number that require charging you are in business. Hope this helps. Cheers

See all Stihl MSA 160 C / MSA 160 C-BQ questions