Toyota TownAce

Toyota TownAce

See the Best Vans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

kit.peters

kit.petersNew South Wales, Australia

Our 2003 TownAce, which we have owned and run continuously for 11 years ... has just been written off!!
Some idiot drove up the back with great force. We are so sad! In terms of reliability and usefulness, this has been the best - easily - we've ever owned .. and I have owned many vans. So easy to drive, great turning circle, extremely comfortable and convenient, easy to park ... the list of virtues could go on.
WHY did Toyota stop making them?

TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedApr 2007

It a Toyota, so it is.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Long P

Long P

Noisy but funtional

This is a very basic van, take you and you stuff in places and that is it. I would not see any joy driving the van but it do it job and continue to do so with just regular services mostly oil change. Very noisy inside but still driveing more like a car than a van

TransmissionAutomatic
Date PurchasedJan 2015
philander

philanderAU

1998 Toyota Town Ace

This is an outstanding Vehicle, very basic but extremely economical to run, soooo light on petrol and very inexpensive to repair .....Served us very well with little moves and building alterations, ideally Toyota should of continued production, if i had the choice again i would of preferred fuel injection and Power steering

No fuss, won't die

I bought a 99 townace sbv with 175000 km and sold it at 325000 km. When I moved overseas. In this time the vehicle was flawlessly reliable, and we really put it to the test, taking it on roads and with loads that it wasn't really designed for. The only significant repairs required were a diff and a Uni joint, not bad for a car of this mileage. These parts were readily sourced and Inexpensive. As an sbv, the engine was readily accessible for servicing. The vehicle's build quality was excellent. I wish Toyota would have continued making this model, or rather that Australia would have continued importing them after 2003. So unfortunate that now I must find a substitute.

Kymbolie

Best car I've ever owned

Joel1

Joel1

Good

not the coolest van, if you can find one cheap in good nic i would consider it
good for a runaround and still fits a fair bit of gear in it.
not sure why they stopped making it but i would prefer to buy on that was only 3-4 years old (unless you can find a seldom used one)
also if you crash it it seems to take a hit pretty well, better than an express that's for sure
solid gear box, good size, pretty good on fuel, decent stereo, easy to drive, abit of a bonnet, good a/c,
one i had had a flat spot so power was an issue
no major problems

otzi

otziAU

Tough little nugget

Just loved this van.Quite drivable. I fitted tradesman roof rack, bull bar and tow bar. After removing both sway bars the van equipped it's self well on unmade roads whilst displaying no difference on the road.
Finally sold it to get the 2 Liter auto Spacia. Same song different verse. Can't speak to highly of it.
ride, maneuverability, van grows on you, easy repair and service. doesn't give up. Very easy to slide in and out of.
fuel consumption far too heavy for a 1.8, too low high gear,

goldwingman
goldwingman

My Townace is a Great Van but it's to lower geared can you change the diff for a sedan diff if you can change over diff which diff can i use as i use my van for a town car as well Thank You all Members

ghecko
ghecko

Hi can you tell me how you went with the tarago diff

Jonathangl

JonathanglVictoria, 3081

Frank

Frankasked

Changing clutch on my SR40 Spacia 1999 next week. Besides the full clutch kit which seal(s) should I get in addition? Is it worth to change the main seal and easy to reach?

Celeste M.

Celeste M.asked

My poor townace is having some problems. Turns out my heater was full of rust. It ended up casing my car to overheat and has a new radiator. The heater has also been flushed. Ive been very carefully checking the water levels everyday, unfortunatly it dropped yesterday after a drive.

The extent to the damage is still being determined.

Would anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get the engine replaced if it came to that? Just trying to weigh up my options

Cheers.

Kerryt

Kerrytasked

Hi, ive got a 1994 townace van but can't find where to fill front windscreen washer fluid. Help please!

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

CategoryVans