Velocity Global Wallet

Velocity Global Wallet

• Competitive Exchange Rate Yes (1) · No (21)
Rob

RobPB

Rip off

Gauging fees from Global Wallet account. Due to COV19 I haven't been able to travel. Unfortunately, Virgin don't care. I had US $ loaded onto my card and they have been converting it from US to AUS $ and taking out fees. Twice in one month 2 Jan and 28 Jan 2021. Each time around $5.19. This has been going on for who knows how long. Unable to see previous months statements. Highway robbery.

Evie

EvieMelbourne

Don't bother with this card!

Charged an exchange fee when I had not exchanged any currency for 18 months! Their explanation 'it must be a fee for an exchange done years ago'! Looking back at past records fees were charged previously and at a much lower amount than that charged now! Highway robbery! This is not good enough! Also, on another matter, was told a refund was made for a fully paid hotel booking that we had to cancel due to Covid19 and not being able to travel interstate. That booking was never refunded and we were given the run around for months, being told it was refunded, although it never appeared in our account. In the end we gave up! No refund whatsoever!
This card is not worth the hassles!

Kathy

KathySouth East Queensland, QLD

Blocking card when there's a refund

Karl Stojanovic

Karl StojanovicSydney, NSW

ok card when travelling

I believe there are some other cards similar out there, but this one is fine when traveling. I would prefer a better exchange rate but the card comes in handy if you hate carrying cash over seas.

CurrencyEUR and USD
Competitive Exchange RateYes

Big guy DavePerth, WA

Terrible customer service with extremely long load times.Very poorly run pre paid credit card.

CurrencyAUD and NZD
Joy

JoyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Costly to use!

I loaded AUD$700 and it auto exchanged it to US$425.81. I rang customer service & she said I needed to change it to be loaded in AUD. But if I change it now, I'll lose money in the exchange. She suggested I buy something online with US so won't lose amount. So I did, and guess what? It was charged auto into AUS, so am paying for exchange rates. If you use this card you will LOSE MONEY. Any refunds will take months. Disappointed!

Ash

AshGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Sneaky and unhelpful

They charge massive feeds to load in currency (they took out $300 AUD when I loaded in $2000 AUD to Yen).

Then when a hotel issues me a refund because I ended a trip early, Velocity are saying the refund has gone through and pending transactions have used it all up?

CurrencyJPY
wabomberboy

wabomberboyPerth, WA

Stay away from this card

The only competent aspect of there call centre staff is they know how to lie to you. There is an inactivity fee charged if you don’t use the account for 12 months. The fee is $1.95 per month. Please, I beg you, Stay away from this card

Red Belly

Red BellyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Preying on the inexperienced.

CurrencyUSD

Find out how Velocity Global Wallet compares to other Travel Money Cards

Exchange rate gouging. Not accepted everywhere.

Fee too high with overseas exchange. When I made a USD purchase online, the AUD conversion was jacked up 8%. Card not accepted by all websites. Card not accepted by local parking meters. I googled without easily finding information about their rates. Their FAQ says to check the app. I'll go back to Visa, cheaper and more reliable.

CurrencyAUD and USD

Never use it again

My fault for not learning more about the card. But its defiantly not savvy once you return from o/s and continue to use the card to build your points and load money. Not knowing you have to have a preferred wallet. I lost $500 just like that due to the US exchange. Customer service, they dont answer your questions they go around the question and say something completely different.

CurrencyAUD and USD
Competitive Exchange RateNo

Card cancelled without reason, cannot re-open account

Received an email advising my account had been temporarily blocked. Rang the call centre as advised to unblock the account and was advised that due to the "level of activity" on the account I was no longer eligible to use the service - ever again. Was not given any information on what the suspicious activity was and was told I'd get the same response if I escalated the complaint. I've only ever used the account for emergency funds. Especially awful service given I've been a Velocity member for over a decade.

Grahame

GrahameHobart, TAS

There's not enough time to list the problems

Loaded AU$299.00; AU$304.62 became NZ$304! Then I had AU$275.00 in my account - cost AU$29.00 to buy NZ$300 - that's 9.6%!! Completed "Feedback"; "Sorry we can't help you at this time" response.

CurrencyNZD

Appalling customer service

Have used this card before and found it good but trying to change my password has cost me 11/2 hours so far in multiple calls - got cut off, spoke to multiple apparent overseas call centres with bad lines who inputted incorrect phone numbers, cut me off, gave me a temporary password which didn't work and failed to call back. Giving up now - should have read the reviews first

StChristopher

StChristopherGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Like the sense of adventure that comes with not being able to access money? This is the card for you!

Card has mostly been accepted in US shops (good bit). It ends there: App/online portal is dysfunctional to the point where loading up becomes impossible. Verdict: For your own sanity, avoid at all costs and get a different card.

CurrencyUSD

This card is HOPELESS

If your bag is stolen and you need a replacement card while overseas, DON’T bother. They send you to a western union branch to withdraw your cash and it’s a supermarket that will only give you $50. Western Union need proof of ID and your passport and an Australian drivers licence is not enough!! Soooo frustrating to deal with!!!! It’s like talking to robots that do not have any customer service. We have been stuck in America and now New Zealand without any money!!!

lindaleePerth, WA

Bad Mistake...!!!

CurrencyGBP
Gabrial P.

Gabrial P.South East Queensland, QLD

Avoid Global Wallet Debut Card

I’d been a huge fan and supporter of Global Wallet for years but today that relationship and status ends. The convenience of loading the card from a debit card linked to another account was awesome but now users are forced to load in to a foreign currency and not local currency which costs 11% fees. That is highway robbery!! Greedy!! And immoral. Goodbye virgin you’ve sold your soul to the devil. Enjoy the money but you won’t be getting mine anymore

CurrencyAUD
andrew.whitfieldcook

andrew.whitfieldcookSouth East Queensland, QLD

We use Global Wallet...but they have much to improve

To be fair, we've used this card as our mainstay debit card for years and have enjoyed the Velocity points (they used to be higher value, not now). But 2 things of note which disappoint me with basic "back-end" business;
1. They're missing it on HUGE $$$ by not having it on Apple pay. We're still spending, just not with them.
2. Card expiry... You can't get your subsequent card until AFTER your current one has expired. If you order a replacement, it has the same expiry as the old one... Rév*, You're missing out on growth in a tough money market, guys!!! (Rév are underwriters of Global Wallet)

CurrencyAUD

Used to be good

Don't bother with this any more, too many fees. Stick to other cards that give you the Visa or MasterCard exchange rate without taking a huge cut every time you load and exchange between currencies (Citibank, Macquarie etc).

CurrencyEUR and USD