Velocity Global Wallet

Velocity Global Wallet

The best way to use your money

I loaded some money into my Velocity Global Wallet Account several times and I find it easy to use my Visa Card that is linked to my card because I can buy things easily without having to worry about getting my money pinched also it is excellent if you want to travel overseas.

Purchased in March 2016.

Rip Off with Excess Fees...fastest way to waste your holiday money

Velocity, Pre Paid, Frequent Flyer, Visa Pay Wave Card...FAIL!
I planned to go to South America, and all the forums said that ATM's were the best way to get local cash, as USD were not accepted at many smaller towns and definitely not acceptable at street markets etc.... The spiel from Velocity made it sound like the answer to my prayers, so I loaded $500AUD into my card, converted to USD as AUD is NOT widely accepted in Peru, Ecuador and Chile....Horror, when I checked my account and found only $388USD which is equivalent to $448AUD the next day!!...I had lost $52AUD just to charge this Pre Paid card......Not happy Jan. I checked my account again today, and the AUD equivalent was $454, which is only $321USD now......I suppose Velocity will quickly reduce my initial $500AUD to Zero by Christmas 2019!!
Needless to say, I wouldn't use this card overseas, for fear of more exorbitant hidden fees, and will try to spend the my credit somehow......or transfer the cash back out, if they let me!!

Purchased in January 2019 for $500.00.

CurrencyUSD
Competitive Exchange Rate No

Better card available elsewhere.

I only got this card because of the BP partnership.
Was free when I started then they introduced a $1.95mth inactive fee.
I now have NO balance left as I evidently don’t use my card yet I get ALL my fuel from BP.

Purchased in April 2016.

Absolute rip off fees

Conversion fees are ludicrous. Do not order this card. Traveled to South Africa and lost 10% of my money in currency conversion fees! The fees described are very misleading. They make it sound like there will be no conversion fees. You'd be better off just using your every day Australian bank card.

Purchased in November 2018.

CurrencyZAR
Competitive Exchange Rate No

This card has security issues apart from other problems

I started using this card with high expectations. Soon got to know that it takes days on end for money to be transferred. I'm not even going to go into exchange rates. Then on a visit overseas, the card was swallowed up by an ATM. The replacement card took over a month to arrive. Once it arrived, I found out that someone else was trying to use the card number for some shopping. So absolute crap it is. I would never use it anywhere.

Purchased in September 2018.

CurrencyHKD

So slow

So I had a limit on my card to how much funds were on it. Instead of the money I tried to transfer bouncing back into my other account they held onto it for years instead of transferring it back with calls and emails in betweeen. Terrible customer service. Cancelled card. Will never use.

Best prepaid multi currency card on the market!

I received an email about 2yrs ago telling me about the global wallet feature of my velocity membership with Virgin Australia, its basically a free card that you can load money onto in any currency and spend it like a normal debit card including pay pass which is AMAZING! I first used this card when i went to America which was so handy loading money onto the card super easy i did it via online banking (be careful if you need it in a hurry it does take up to 1 business day so transferring money via online banking on a Saturday might not hit your card balance until Monday/Tuesday). I now use the card to help with budgeting, I try to stick to a $20 spending limit during the week on things like takeaway coffee, buying lunch at work, little luxuries etc. so i load the card with $20 per week and use pay pass which stops me from over spending. You also earn velocity points on purchasing in Australia and internationally so its a BIG thumbs up from me.

Very slow to add funds

I transferred money to my Global Card. 4 days later it shows in the account as pending but not in my wallet. I am unable to use the money as yet. I dont Understand why my money is pending rather than usable in account.

I contacted them today, the person said it will not be able to be used until 3 days to the hour has past since it arrived in your wallet account. This seems like a rort to me. They have the funds yet deprive you of righfully using it likely in order to use your money to gain interest on for those 3 days. I will never use global wallet again

Unable to rectify errors made by sellers

Hotel in Ireland put a hold on 220 euros. Visa/GlobalWallet held 465 euros. After we checked out, the hotel released their hold but GW said Visa was holding the 465 for a month & there was nothing they could do. By the time it is released we will be home & have to pay a reconversion. Terrible service & buck-passing by Global Wallet. Hotels have advised us lots of problems with Visa.

Awesome low fee prepaid card

I use this card for purchasing goods from the likes of aliexpress and amazon who dont accept paypal. I like the fact that my own hard earned money is protected in the event these details get stolen. Its free to transfer money in ( just like sending someone some money and its relatively quick ( except on weekends)) I have never had to use customer service so i cant comment on that. but for the convenience, security and lack of fees for everything i use it for I'm happy. If you wanna pay $6 to buy one for auspost and then get charged a fee for every transaction go ahead. Butnfor what i want this is fine!

Lost $89 instantly

This is a scam..Thanks Virgin I loaded up $900 and lost $89 instantly... Do not use this product!!! I will never use this product again very disappointed. Called the help desk and they were not helpful at all!! Way to treat a gold member Virgin

Horrible Experience

After calling up to discuss the details of the card while I was looking at different travel cards, I had someone talk me in to ordering one however they did not explain that they do not have the same conversion rate as pretty much every other bank and travel card in Australia. I lost $400 transferring money from NZ to AUD because the exchange rate was so much lower than everywhere else and they would not advise who they use to manage their rates and how to track how much the exchange rate has moved in the past. VERY unhappy and would never use again.

Custome service

2 months, multiple calls and emails worked out why my account was locked, sent them required documents, 2 weeks no response, checked my account and it was unlocked, transferred money out, gooooodddddd byyyyyyyy.
Also, you can reduce fees and still make points by only spending money in Aus (if your from Aus).
Don’t use the card overseas, it’s a rip off.

This worked fine for me

used this in USA and Canada with no problems. Did not use at ATM only used to purchase goods with no problems. Accepted all restaurants and shops no problem. App was updated and email confirmations received. I did not need to use customer service at all. I know there are associated fees but I thought it was reasonable for the convenience.

No Stars if it would let me

Just don't use this product it's an absolute scam. They will rip you off on exchange. I exchanged $500 and was charges almost $70. Just do not use ever! worst product in history.

Had it a few months and seems great!

I haven't used it to travel or had any transaction disputes yet. I hope that it never happens and I guess this review may change as a result of the service if that occurs. I have used the card locally to gain extra points for my virgin frequent flier card. I first put money on it using BPAY but that costs money! So now I just use the bank transfer that usually takes less than 24 hours and is fee free. I have used the cards for all my transactions and it has been fine. I've also seen points in my virgin frequent flier account, I don't know and really don't have the time to work out how many. It seems all good to me. I did have an issue to try and verify my identity in order to remove the restrictions and after a quick call that was fixed within 48 hours. My experience of the customer service so far has been good, polite and helpful.

Slow and costly money transfers. No customer focus

Poor customer service. Charge to deposit money via bill pay, lengthy delays between money being deposited and then available. 10 day delay transferring money back to my normal bank account. Card did work ok in Europe and was accepted everywhere we used it. Watch out for some atms that will default withdrawals in aud. So you end up paying multiple exchange fees and-eur, eur-aud, aud-eur for a simple withdrawal.

Beyond terrible customer service. Don't bother.

So far I've been waiting 77 days after sending in my dispute resolution form for fraudulent activity on my card. I received one automated email back to acknowledge receipt. I have called and emailed countless times and no one can give me any updates on this. I was told it could take up to 45 days to be solved. Still waiting. I just want my money back and card cancelled, but they can't even do that. I wish I knew who to report them to. Such a joke.

Double exchanges beware.

In Europe so loaded Euro as preferred currency and although it says that any withdrawn funds in local currency will come out of your preferred currency it is not the case. When using ATM in Prague to withdraw KRN the conversion is done from EUR to AUD to KRN so got slugged with their terrible exchange rates twice. This calc was about - €94 more than any actual rates available at the time. STUNG so better too have cash as its just too expensive to exchange other currency...they vacuum yr account.

Product is ok until something goes wrong. Then they don't want to know you. Very poor customer servi

Do not rely on this service as your only access to funds when travelling. Customer service is non existent and they spend more energy finding ways to not help then to help. Spoken to both Australian and New Zealand customer service teams and they both suggested we use another company instead.

How to withdraw money from an atm in italy?
Make sure it is a visa atm and use credit button. Some countries like japan for example they have different arms some for domestic transactions and some for international customers.Make sure it is a visa atm and use credit button. Some countries like japan for example they have different atms some for domestic transactions and some for international customers. Recently we could not get money out at the atm and there was an error message. It turned out that the chip in the card is faulty.Thanks very much for the information, mark barnes

How do I close the card and cancel the service?
Hi Janine, I haven't worked that out yet. We are off to Europe in Aug/Sept for 4+ weeks, so will use the funds that are left & will make sure that every last AUD & Euro is used before trying to contact Velocity Wallet to cancel the whole thing. I will also stop using the BP service stations that reward you with velocity points, as I won't ever be flying Virgin Airlines again. Will stick to Singapore Airlines & hope to be able transfer any velocity points left to their FF program. I will let you know how I go towards the end of September.

Has anyone else had trouble with continually missing FF points for purchases made with their global wallet card?
1. VGW card has LITTLE to with Virgin group as a whole, so if you run into any problem you are left with NO recourse except having to deal with the highly dysfunctional call centre at NZ which only ONE person out of the whole floor (as EVERYTHING has to be escalated before any solution can be found) can actually “pass on” your sorry business to an overseas financial group. 2. If you call them about missing FF points once again the aforementioned system applies. You would be wasting your time trying to speak to the normal FF department about missing FF points incurred from the VGW card as they are a separate entity to the Virgin Group. 3. If you are trying to gain the points using the VGW card you are doing it the hard way. You are are better off just flying more or apply and use the normal Virgin CREDIT card of some category, which definitely has a DIFFERENT AND ACTUALLY FUNCTIONAL customer support service.

Similar listings