Volkswagen Caddy

Volkswagen Caddy

Mk.4, 2K.I and 2K.II

See the Best Vans in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

VW Caddy Maxi Life TDi250 1.6L Diesel DSG - Limp Mode Instant Loss of Power Dangerous, Serious Safet

Engine Size1.6L

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Jonny I

Jonny IAU

10 years ownership... Let the trouble begin

Being a tradie, this van gets a beating. Has been reliable till now. The dam bulb out light on dash is constantly on with all bulbs working, starter motor recently replaced, clutch recently replaced, turbo diaphragm replaced, glow plugs replaced, left hand side ball joint replaced, front and rear brakes pads replaced and new battery. After 10 years and bought brand new with 215,000km on the clock now with constant start stop its been a great overall.
Steer away from the DSG and petrol models. You need to maintain these vans and they will give you years of trouble free motoring

BadgeHey
Engine Size1.9
Date PurchasedDec 2009

Matthewdean

Matthewdeansydney

Great durable car

Handles well, driving for 3 months now. At first I found it quite difficult to get used to after driving small sedans but overall it's been great.

Excellent fuel economy, averaging about 800 - 1000km per tank at this rate, some highway driving but it's definiltey a great feature.

Servicing seems reasonable considering European. I have friends who drive the same car and have complained about expensive prices.

Overall a good car and I would recommend.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

JAM

JAMSydney

Perfect work van but not without its quirks.

BadgeTDI250 Maxi
Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Cjr

Cjrmelbourne

very poor service

Driving diesel caddy, lost power, took car to dealer in Springvale road, and from then on things just went from bad to terrible. They quoted for the repair $800.00 said yes go ahead, receive phone call "sorry not fixed" another looong period of time, receive phone call "it is going to cost $8,000.00 to fix" I read into that they have no idea what is wrong. Ask why so dear? Had to pay for the first repair that did not fix car. Be very careful when dealing with them, get written quote and make sure they know what they are doing. I am very wary of Volkswagen products. The caddy had been serviced on time every time. be careful

Date PurchasedJun 2011

CARPET CLEANERMACQUARIE

Great to HORRIBLE to own

BadgeTDI250 Maxi
Date PurchasedJan 2010
CARPET CLEANER

Update,at 2 years Renault still running perfectly, The Caddy is still on stands BUT i've got all the necessary parts from the UK at 1/4 to 1/2 the price they are in Australia. Hoping to have it back on the road soon......?

kid

kidAddis Ababa

over heat

it is only 50,000 km since we bought but it shows over heat we can not mange it can u suggest me something that i can change or anything else i tried to change the thermostat and no solution what next step can we take the ruining cost is also high the power is nor related with its volume of capacity to cray on

Badgeowner
Date PurchasedAug 2012
Neil

NeilGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Don't buy VW

Save your self the hassle, don't buy VW. Just spent $9430 for a new gearbox. Purchased the van in April at 100,00km 4 months later the 7 speed gearbox failed. According to VW this is a reasonable time frame for the gearbox to fail and their are no recognised faults with the gearbox. I suggest the fools at VW Google, VW gearboxes, they may learn that are a disaster . VW Australia are the worst.
Can't be bothered writing any more just avoid VW.

BadgeTDI250 Trendline
Date PurchasedApr 2016

peter

petersydney

the good, the bad, the downright fugly

Badgecaddy 1.6
Engine Size1.6L
TransmissionManual

Good van, great to drive, excellent on fuel but!

BadgeTSI160 Runner SE

Another radiator failure

BadgeTSI175

VW Caddy POS

I have a 2010 built-2011 complied VW Caddy 1.6 TDCi, bought it second hand with 3600km on it and it didnt take long to see why the previous owners got rid of it.
So far its had 4 new injectors, ECU, rear suspension bump stops fell out and ive lost count of how many times its gone in to limp mode and taken back to VW for gear box issues.
It only has 36500km on it now (in 4 years)
My wife runs a busines from home and had a Transit van, but when the Twins came along we needed something i could put the kids in and my wife could still work out of, the Caddy suited.
Now the cars run out of Warranty im to scared of it.
Terrible car people STAY AWAY

BadgeTDI250 Comfortline
TransmissionAutomatic

Happy so far fingers crossed

I bought my Vw caddy 2010 Tdi 3 years ago, no problems thus far not sure if it's because I have 1.9 diesel motor or not, but I think the 1.6 petrol is the problem. Would like to hear more comments from the diesel owners to what problems to look out for cheers about the clutch some people just don't know how to drive manual, vow is very touchy. Cheers

Badge0
Chris V

Chris VCanberra

VW 30 edition whistling side mirror

Pretty with overall performance but I have had the same problem as others with the side mirror at highway speeds. I have found placing a strip of gaffer tape across and below the mirror cuts the noise. It looks cheap and daggy but does seem to work.

kristielee

kristielee

Awesome Car.. Cheap on fuel and carry's alot

Love this caddy I have a diesel man 2012 model and it has helped me so much moving house, transporting things.. I love it.

TransmissionManual

2010 year model Caddy I.6 lt. diesel Extremely dangerous vehicle.

Thea SNambour

Recurring problem with fuel injectors

I have just paid $1337 to replace yet another fuel injector in my disabled son's 2010 modified VW Caddy. One injector had to be replaced Feb 2013, another in July 2013, both under warranty. A request to the VW Service Centre to replace remaining injectors because of an obvious problem was refused. My question: When will the fourth injector fail? Another $1337 that a disability pensioner cannot afford? More frightening - What if this occurs on the Bruce Highway on a hot summer's day? My son has severe physical disabilities, heat exposure brings on seizures, and he is stuck on the side of the road with no means of transport except an ambulance!!!! Perhaps a letter to VW Head Office?

I have had a similar problem with my VW Caddy 2010

Mine has only done 33,000 klms and has gone into limp mode 4 times in the last year. Ours is a modified disabled vehicle. The service centre said is was fuel injector problems and they even replaced the engine ecu worth $3000 (but under warranty) thinking it could have been sending false fuel injector messages. This last time has happened since then. I am also very concerned it could cause a major accident esp on the freeway. I do 10,000 klms per year. What is causing this and how can it be fixed permanently?