Volkswagen Golf

36 questions from our users

Karen B.

Karen B.asked

Golf Mk.7 (2013-2017)

I purchased my Golf SE mk7 over 2 years ago. The infotainment system stopped working 29th June2020 my warranty ran out on 4th July, problem was I was in lock down in Spain due to Corona virus and could not get a ferry crossing until 15th July. I called Volswagon in Vera Spain and earliest appointment was 10th July. They did the second service, 18000 miles on clock and investigated infotainment system. Paid 93 euros for service and was given a quote for 1,985 euros to replace the broken system as it was over the warranty. I called the volkswagen dealer where I bought the car they said to take it to my local dealer in Shrewsbury which I did as it needed its first mot. They agreed it was broken and needed replacing. Even though it was impossible to get back before the warranty expired the would only give me 20% off the bill and I would have to pay £1600 to have it replaced. Do u think this is fair?

Georgeasked

Golf Mk.5 (2004-2010)

2007 got sport TDI VW golf 2ltre turbo.
What does it mean when engine light comes on, than coil light flashes and exhaust light comes on???
Also since then my turbo stopped working

Deah C

Deah Casked

Golf Mk.7 Hatchback (2013-2017)

Hi I'm looking at purchasing a 2014 Highline TDI mk 7. It's immaculate inside and out, one owner, I can tell the car has been well loved and looked after. I've never had a euro car before, but am looking for something that is high tech, and economical. The golf seems to tick those boxes but I hear mixed reviews.. Can anyone shed some light on your experience with these cars?

Liam H.

I can only answer from my own experience of my Golf, purchased new in Sept 2015. It's done 107,000km and been serviced regularly (7 times). Has been a fantastic little car, fun to drive, economical yet nimble. That being said, much comes down to how it's looked after (clean oil, quality fuel, fresh air) all goes a long way to having the car serve a long, useful life - but my experience is a thumbs up and enjoy these cars!

C A

C Aasked

Golf

Anyone had issues with the colour peeling/wearing from switches? If so, what did you use to make them look black again?

Mr. Fix itasked

Golf Mk.7 Hatchback 110TDI (2013-2017)

Has anyone had a remote control car key die and found any alternative to paying the $620 VW want for a new one please? My car is a 2016 Golf TDI, auto Mark 7
Thank you, John.

Meredith Gibson
Meredith Gibson

Good luck John. In my experience, VW are not helpful and are very expensive. My golf does not have a remote key but you would think they would have a battery that could be replaced as other remote devices do. Maybe that’s just another way VW makes more money.

Mr. Fix it

Thanks Meredith but I have changed the battery and it still doesn't work. Looks like it needs a new internal PCB.
Thanks anyway, regards John.

green h.asked

Golf

What can be the problem if gear number one is not accelerating? And takes time to change

For golf fsi

Mike
Mike

Probably the clutch pack or issues with the DSG gearbox itself which is common particularly on pre 2012 models

Lina F.
Lina F.

I forgot to mention when I wrote my review yesterday, that the Clutch is also an issue that I was advised about last year. Therefore the current issues with this dud car are: The Water Pump needs replacement, The Clutch needs to be replaced, as it doesn't engage as it is meant do. ( these two alone amount to more than $4,500) . The third thing, that I forgot to mention in my post yesterday is that there is leaking from the wiper on the back window entering into the cavity of Door 5, ie. the Door giving one access to the Boot. I reckon that's going to be another costly matter that requires rectification.

Bhekinkosi M

Bhekinkosi Masked

Golf

My Golf 7 BlueMotion 1.4 automatic 2014 model, in the morning I entered in the vehicle and start drive, at about 300 meters driving the car loose power stop and show on the dashboard that I must apply brake. I apply brake and try to restart later it will later give me D1 again and I drive again and this won't happen again the whole day driving it. I don't know the problem and this happen everyday in the morning after starting it and drive and it happen on a busy road. what to do on this matter?

Ann

Annasked

Golf

Hi,thinking of buying a 2012 Volkswagen golf wagon for $9,990 any advice i would appreciate.Ann

Sebling
Sebling

don't get the 118 TDI. Engine tends to explode. Look it up

MikeShearerasked

Golf

Golf 92TSI 2016 bought new. Had to have the clutch replaced after 23000km, under warranty ("Due to component related deviation in clutch as per TPI 2042749/6"). Is it normal for the Golf to have transmission noise? It's similar to the noise from the faulty clutch when it was changing gears. Very faint, but there just about all of the time. Should I badger VW? Car is now out of warranty but I wonder if the problem is related to the clutch and therefore should be fixed as well.

Dieter L.

260,000 km out of a clutch is pretty decent. As for the transmission noise, no that is not normal. Possible worn out syncronisors becuase of the cars high mileage.

MikeShearer

Check the mileage: 23,000km in 3 years, not 260,000. How does that affect your comments???

MikeShearer

Just checked: when refuelled on 30th April mileage was 26,644. Problem persists.

Sandra D

Sandra Dasked

Golf Mk.7 Hatchback 110TDI (2013-2017)

My car is a 2016 TDI Golf hatchback Highline. Could you please tell me if it is a mrk 6 or 7 and also the windscreen dimensions? Thanks.

Fired Up

Logically check your manual or sales doco first

Mr. Fix it

Hi Sandra. I have just needed to find an answer to the same question. I've been through all the documentation including service book, sales dockets etc. and came up blank. A good Google search provided the answer. The easy answer is ... if you have rounded tail lights, it's Mk 6, if they are sharp edged design, Mk 7. Mark 7 also has the sophisticated "Infotainment System" with GPS and lots of other choices (radio, car, menu etc.) in the middle of the dash.
Regards, John.

tashah__

tashah__asked

Golf Mk.5 (2004-2010)

Hi guys have the chance to buy 2007 Volkswagen Golf Comfortline V Manual MY08 with 167 full service history etc, are they cars reliable and will be used 95% highway driving for work

Pablo
Pablo

Check out when the next cam belt change is due to be changed. It will attract a $1,000+ expense. Make sure it doesn't have a bad accident history. I think they're generally OK and reasonably reliable for a commuter car but I'd be going Corolla/Civic instead as I think generally they're more reliable, have identical performance and economy and will be easier on the wallet.

Mr_coz1
Mr_coz1

I'd go for a Japanese car

pomhall
pomhall

My Golf has been very reliable and is at 150K KMS. I did have the cam belt changed not sure on cost, services are reasonable outside of VW garages. The smaller engine golfs are great in a straight line and motorway driving does suits them. The Golf will feel far safer as the build quality is far superior to other cars in its class. Also once you have it I would look for a mechanic familiar with VW who is reasonable.

Metinasked

Golf Mk.6 (2010-2012)

Hi my golf 2011 tsi am having issues with remote not locking and unlocking doors have had it checked at a reputable key locksmith it is responding but still won’t allow for open and close of doors and also the radio doesn’t have any signal could the both be connected problem?
Please help

Contact VW

Mr. Fix it

I have a 2016 TDI and from the day I took delivery, it has told me 100 times to change the battery key. I check the battery, even put a new one in, and guess what? Still the same. Most times my key will unlock the car when I grab the door handle but often not, so I use the unlock button on the key case. This key has just died completely and VW want $620 for a new one, yes it's true !!

Metinasked

Golf Mk.6 (2010-2012)

I have a 2011 tsi 1.4 and when i get to 3000 - 4000rpm it gets stuck and no exceleration till i back off and try excelerate again 7 speed dsg what could be causing this a sensor or is the transmission on its way?Appreciate you’re feedback

Metin

I can’t read the answer to my question how do I get into the information to read it? Please help

Francis N.

Francis N.asked

Golf Mk.5 (2004-2010)

Hello chaps, I'm looking into buying a golf MK5 2005-2008 and wondering which petrol engine is the best of them all(apart from the GTI line, as I don't have the finances to match it up). And please get me a heads up on the problems I'm bout to face and ways I can "maybe" avoid them. Thanks Alot!

Pss:I'm not contemplating btn it and any other type/brand for that matter. I'm all in golf. Just not sure of the best engine to go with.

Roy B

Roy Basked

Golf Mk.7 (2013-2017)

My toorak is playing up the revs are not going higher than 3000 what could the problem?

Liam H.

Soft limiters I think, enviro emissions and all that jazz

Maria

Mariaasked

Golf Mk7.5 (2017-2020)

I have recently bought a VW golf 2018 TSI. I was wondering if leaving on the park lights for over an hour or even overnight would considerably drain the battery?

Dieter L.

Yes deffinetly if you leave it overnight

Steveasked

Hi everyone
I am looking at a vw 2015 90TSI comfortline wagon, 7 auto, It’s only travelled 15,000 kms, $20,500. I have mainly driven Toyota’s and Kias, any thoughts on the VW, it’s one owner 1.4 petrol?

R Livsey
R Livsey

It is under warranty
Looks a reasonable price

Steve

I am just worried as a have recently read negative reports, high repair and service costs on vw.

Surprised me as after reading reviews for a month most car reviews gave it 8.5/10 but actual drivers on this site seem to sat vw are too much trouble?

Darren M.
Darren M.

The motoring press is in love with VW products because they drive them but don't own them. They are nicely conceived products but as far as I can ascertain not robustly engineered in the same way as a Toyota. They seem to be variable in build quality with some owners having a great run and others having nothing but nightmares. I am on my second one (Golf R) and to be honest have no real faith in the product reliability long-term, but fortunately can afford an expensive repair bill if I get one.

Sal M

Sal Masked

Golf Mk7.5 (2017-2020)

wondering if anyone else has had oil leak issues? I bought a brand new 110TDi wagon late last year took in for a service and the noticed an oil leak from the main seal, took it back to get that fixed and while they had the transmission out they noticed another oil leak this time from the gear box seal....both covered under warranty however they couldn't get a new seal for the gear box so have to replace the whole gearbox instead.
This is not my first golf and i have never had an issue before but am now concerned at what else my be wrong???

Edwin

Edwinasked

Golf Mk.7 (2013-2017)

I am driving 2014 Golf VII 1.4TSI.

The OIL Consumption is just bizzare and theres a ticking sound coming from the engine/gearbox. Any ideas?

Ron

Ronasked

Golf Mk.7 (2013-2017)

How much is a voice activated on control panel?

George

I don’t know, talk to them - Or buy something better...