Generations:
Filter By:

Verified Purchase Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Sedan Badge: CD Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Dec 2012

Holden Berina CD

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

This is the worst car I have ever bought. I had a Hyundai for 17 years and it still ran well when i gave it up for the Berina. After 9 months i needed a new gear box, then my reverse lights only worked in neutral which caused me to reverse into a black car in a dark street. Then it was over reving needed this back into the dealership. Then i got a letter requiring a new ignition due to faulty made. But this hasnt stopped the car starting on its own. Now i have faulty air bags. This is inbetween a dealership that deliberately damaged my coolant tank when it went in for a service. It went in perfect and came out over heating. They wanted to charge me $65 for a light globe, twice the price for a coolant tank and new wind screen wipers, all in one service. and then the brakes went too and they wanted to charge me $750 for just the brakes. That was just the front brakes. I got them done elsewhere for $450. I got my globe chucked in for free and as i had to have the coolant tank replaced i got that at cost. How the dealership could rort and the car be such a piece of rubbish and they have got away with this not just to me but to all they serve. But they kindly called me to see if i wanted to upgrade my vehicle. When the gear box went i had taken it in for the service on Friday and told them there was something wrong with the gear box. I picked the car up in the afternoon, they said they checked it and it was fine. On the way to the doctor in the morning the gear box broke down. Here i was driving it mile away back to the dealership and told there wasnt anyone to look at it for at least a week. They didnt check it in the first place. Today ive had to replace the engine mount and coils. Yep you are reading right a NEW ENGINE MOUNT AND COILS, hopefully in the next week i will get the faulty air bags done too. Holden know what they can do with their cars. Never ever will i resort to such a piece of garbage again. Sad thing is its registered as a disabled vehicle. This review has exhausted me.

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: CD Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2014

Terrible - only good for 1 or 2 years

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2018

I bought the 2014 Holden Barina CD Hatchback - I've only done 77,000kms on it. It was a great car at the start as I just got my license and the size of the barina was perfect for me. I didn't drive much when I first bought it as I caught public transport to work. It wasn't up until this year where I started driving it more that problems started arising. I've had to get my suspensions, coils and spark plugs replaced in the span of two months. My battery also needed a full replacement (unsure if 4 years is a good lifespan for car batteries). I service the car when it's required and when my coil and spark plug went, my mechanic said that this happens to Holden's a lot and he said to expect it to happen again. Long story short, I've spent quite a lot of money on it this year. I would not recommend buying this car if you drive a fair distance to and from work.

Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: CD Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Terrible car

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

This car is terrible. Do not buy it. Holden had also the worst service you will get. When things go bad they do not give you a replacement cars. They refuse to care and help you. I had my car in their care for 3 months. They were unable to fix the problem and tell me when I would get my car back. The clutch is awful, the car runs badly and before you know it. You need to get rid of the car.
Think before you buy Holden. Holden also has the highest recalls out of all cars.

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: CD Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Emotion vs reality BarinaÇD TM series 2013

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2018

I am not a Holden fan, nor a Ford either. Too much fact and reality has for decades made statisical thumbs down due to poor performance, breakdowns and rubbish service levels.

So i bought my first Holden, a modern looking small 4 door hatch auto much to the grtted teeth of car experts i spoke with.

And so far its been, well, great. Styling is pleasant and very up to date. It is easy to drive, light accurage steering, upright attentive seating, comfortable runabout and holds okay on 100km highways. My 16yr old girl is finding it easy as a first L plate drive, and socailly acceptable enough to not hide from her friends in it. That is a BIG statement. It has the essentials... acceptable suspension, lights, brakes etc.. but to a 16yr old that translates to mean that is has bluetooth, usb port, loud speakers and cruise control. It does have all these. If you - look, rather than glance you will see (being nice) inexpensive fittings, a little under done in some materials used and if you are after performance might think twice, however, for an economical, modern runabout, cheap to run (not commenting on service here), 5star ANCAP safe, even turns a few heads on styling she is a wee bit cool!
My caution, nee worry is longevity and breakability.... stuff falling off or failing.
I am a stingy, stretch that dollar, mid 50s dad. I picked up the car in early 2018 for $8000 with 7000kms only as a private buy from a deceased estate so for my 8 grand i have a near new car which no doubt influences my comments. I do like the car, it, so far (17000kms) has not shown any problems (nor should it). Can fit 4 adults without trying too hard, even grinds it's way up a hill or three as long as not in a big hurry.. I still hold harsh views on holden, it's management to poor service .... just ask Consumer Affairs and Holdens severe penalties well earned but right now I'm hoping Beryl the Barina will prove her worth over time, 10yrs. :)

Gold Coast

• 3 answers
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Sedan Badge: GS Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Love my Barina

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2018

I love my car I use it daily to go to work and weekend.Its still very new 7months old.i Ave had my 1st service and due for next one very soon .The warranty is a long one and the first few services are free.I don't have any issues with at all.It has a lot of extra features at a very good price.I shopped around at other options first but this car was great value.

• 18 answers
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Sedan Badge: CD Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Great Uber

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2018

I’ve had my 2014 Sedan for going on 2yrs, it’s been great! I brought it from the auctions for 10 gran, pretty much brand knew and have done over 100000k Driving Uber in it and it hasn’t missed a beat. It does use a bit of fuel for a small engine but not too much. The cabin does also pick up a lot of engine noise but Barina have always had this(my grandmother had one in the 90’s). I recommend this car for sure

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch No Badge Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2015

The most horrific car I've owned. Would not own one even if I won a Barina

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 24, 2018

I bought a 2012 Barina TM Auto from a dealer on the Gold Coast for 10K used with 65000 kms on it. From the moment I drove it away I knew it was a lemon. I had owned 2 Commodore's and an Astra up until then and the Barina seemed like a functional, economical little car so I bought it thinking that it would be a great city car to get around in. I wish I had of reviewed this car before I bought it because I had just purchased a nightmare car.

To list all the crappy features:
1) It's a Daewoo, probably the crappest cars in history that aren't even made anymore for good reason! Found this out the hard way after the coolant tank had emptied all it's coolant and overheated from a faulty coolant tank and hose connections.
2) The Bluetooth is garbage. Cannot connect to my paired phone after like 20 attempts one day, and then the next day it will connect straight away. And then it drops out easy and I have to try pair again.
3) Gear box is gutless, the revs drop out and get the gearbox gets confused between gear changes around town. And when you go up hills I have to turn the aircon off to get a boost of power and even then I'm redlining the revs and the engine screams like it's being strangled.
4) The wiper fluid decides to sometimes not even spray the windscreen and instead floods the engine underneath the bonnet. Has been looked at so many times with seemingly nothing wrong. One day it washes my windscreen, the next it's wetting the engine.
5) Wiper blades have been replaced countless times, but a design flaw seems to make them screech every time it is used. Long roadtrips where it rains all the way are painful, think 2 hours of non-stop windscreen screeching. My wife and I have to put headphones on to block it out.
6) Gearstick buttons get jammed often
7) Sun visor parts just fall off without warning. We hardly use these, but they have just decided to break off easily.
8) Entire glovebox fell out without warning. Had to put this back in myself.
10) Headlights and tail lights seem to constantly need replacing, far more than seems normal.

Additional to all this we've had to have all the following fixed:

1) Coolant tank, coolant hoses
2) Brand new thermostat replaced by Holden, Cost $800
3) Engine mount replaced
4) Coil packs, cost over $400
5) Battery needed replacing twice
6) Many oil leaks and brake fluid leaks
7) Broken tail pipe nuts
8) Code 89 currently appearing on the dash, indicating yet another thermostat problem.

All of this over 3 years! Currently trying to sell it and am begging anyone to take it off my hands!! I cannot wait to see the end of this absolute piece of garbage vehicle that has put me off Holden for good. Do yourself a favour, NEVER EVER buy one of these cars!! I truly feel sorry for anyone that buys our car, it has been a car straight from hell.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 question
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Sedan Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Aug 2013

Worst car I have owned.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2018

Bought my 5 speed manual Barina new in 2013; I reported gear box problem at first service it crunched when moving through to second gear but was told the service department found nothing wrong with the gearbox but they noted the complaint and eventually after 12 months they replaced the gearbox. The car has had 3 coil packs fitted during its first 60000 kms; the first time the coil packs failed the motor just stopped dead with no warning and had to be towed to the garage. The engine mount failed which seems to be a common occurrence with these cars. I had to have the head gasket replaced and the motor head shaved due to the engine overheating which was my fault because I had not checked the water level regularly but I had no warning lights to tell me the engine was overheated and there is no water temperature gauge for me to monitor water temperature; No engine management light warned me of the problem; needless to say I check my water level quite regularly nowadays. I am very disappointed with this car and would certainly never recommend or buy another Holden Barina.

• 20 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch No Badge Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2014

Holden Barina

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 29, 2018

Absolutely terrible experience with this car I brought new in 2014. Engine mount has failed. I took it to the Holden dealerships in both West Auckland and New Market in New Zealand. They could not pick up the fault which the effects I have felt from early on when I brought it. It is now out of warranty and the car was vibrating badly and finally identified as a faulty engine mount. Holden will not cover the cost as out of warranty even through the fault has been felt and reported in the warranty period. Holden have not responded to the fit for proper purpose under the Consumer Guarantees Act. Rubbish car

• 2 answers
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch No Badge Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Mar 2012

Great little car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 28, 2018

Just sold my Barina and a little sad to see it go. Been a great car 6 years - 106 k city/country driving. Never a problem and with conservative driving around 700 ks to the tank. Replaced the original tyres at 70 k, 3 headlight globes, set of wipers with regular servicing and 2 roo hits. (1 side and 1 front left)

Good to drive and overtaking is easy. Layout is good and loved the big digital speed display. Plenty of room and with the backseats down plenty of room for a mower or a dryer.

1600cc motor so you notice when the aircon turns on and on long hill pulls it struggles a bit.

A 6th gear would have been nice but overall I can't fault it

Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Sedan Badge: CD Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Apr 2013

Worst car I had seen in my life

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2018

I bought brand new car for peace of mind which not give me more expense for couple of years but since I bought barina at 10k some noise coming from engine while car goes 10 to 40 than no noise check with city Holden 8 times they said it’s charactristic of car than I drive 30 other company car but no car has noise like that at 30k oil leak from engine they didn’t tell me even if I am doing all service there I found out when I check my car out side it cost 1400$ but lucky in warranty after that 45k done engine mount and bush gone they fix it so with this low mileage lots of parts gone I think they use cheap parts.

Melbourne

Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: LS Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Good lite car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 13, 2018

Purchased new Dec 2017 LS Barina
Very happy good little car.
Quiet on the roads, averaging 8.3L per 100 around town but most of the driving is thru hills. On the highway average 7.1L per 100 sitting 105Km per hour. Seats are comfy. I purchased an aftermarket center console that fits straight in with no mods so I could have an armrest best $62 spent on ebay however its not suitable for LT model
A/C lacks a bit of cooling power.
Auto changes well and is smooth.
Overall very happy especially with 7 year warranty.

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: LS Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Good car for daily use

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 10, 2018

I bought a brand new from the dealership because of the 7 year warranty that gives me some peace of mind. It's a very good and compact car for daily use. Fuel efficiency is great - can get up to 550kms in mixed freeway and suburban driving. It does struggle a bit in accelerating quickly and moving up hills. It gets worse if the aircon is on. Overall, it's good value for money and does what it should do.

Davidson

Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: CDX Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Good car. could be better

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2018

The in car entertamint apps are lacking. Who uses sticher? and the navagation app sucks.
The car it self is nice to drive ok on fuel. It isn’t the smoothest or quietest engine the auto gear box could do with some tuning as it tends to be in the wrong gear when going up hill and the same when going down hill causing it to rev high and loud.

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch No Badge Engine Size: 1.4L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2012

Great run around car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2018

Bought my Holden Barina in 2012 brand new from a dealership. I've now done just 112,000 kms and it's still going strong. It's a very economical car to own and drive and also very safe with the curtain airbags. It's a comfortable drive even with the babyseat and dog in the back. Very happy with my purchase and it'll do me for another 5 years at least!

• 2 comments
  • 6 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: CD Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Jun 2013

TM Barina

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 07, 2018

Have owned or baby car now for 4.5 years. now we have put 90000 kms on the clock and except for faulty ABS sensor which was quickly replaced under warranty we have had no issues. Getting an average of 6.7 litres per 100 kms not to bad. Liked all the standard features for no extra dollars. Cruise, alloys, 5 year warranty, 5 years road side assistant, full size spare, blue tooth , servicing has been cheap with 15000 kms intervals. We do an average of 600 kms per week and drive our baby car down shity dirt road and she crosses a creek . It does what she was not designed to do rough roads and unlevel creek crossing every day. Was designed to be a city car. This car was not on our shopping list but the dealer in Wangaratta was great and ready to deal while Kia , ford we're not.
We really like our baby car. Cheers

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2014

Error Code meaning

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2018

Hi, I have a 2011 Holden Barina TM, and is have a signal light flashing on my dash board saying "code 26" when I switch on the Left turn signal lights, just wondering if anyone would know what does it mean and is it something need to be fixed urgently?

Thanks.

• 4 comments
  • 1 question
  • 5 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: CD Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2013

Never trust holden again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2017

I bought the car brand new from holden dealer. The car has full service history.
Since reach 60,000km car has the noise from the engine bay, I took to holden dealer, they couldn't find the issue. Then I took to a mechanic shop which just 2 mins drive from the holden dealer. I took the mechanic for a 5 min drive, he located the problem is from engine mount, like some other comments is the engine mount rubber gone. The part now been ordered. waiting for replacement. Shame on holden quality and mechanic.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Update: Got my engine mount replaced by the mechanic, all the noise gone. to all TM banira owners, if you have unusual noise from engine bay at driver side, please check your engine mount which loc... read more »

update: 85000km now, engine mount seems ok, but showing code 89 on the dash, took to mechanic again, end up is Thermostat & Housing need to replace...worst car I've ever have...

Perth

• 5 answers
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: CD Engine Size: 1.6L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Learner vehicle.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2017

Purchased 2015 cd model recently with 50000km on it.no issues so far.only.used a handful of times.Shame about all the disaster stories,hope i do not join them.Heard pinging from the engine today,has been recently.serviced.Dealer nice enough to supplt 3/4 tank.Will change to.premium fuel soon so will probably subside.Plenty of room.Resale.will be pretty.ordinary but wasn't on mind.Still 6 months new car warranty left.Dealership is good.Lucky i guess.Starts and runs ok everytime. 6ps auto.Bluetooth connected easily and stereo sounds decent.No touchscreen on this model and for that i am grateful for Lplater child.I am 6"4 and fit with ease in both front seats.Seat can be uncomfortable(for me)after a fair while.Holden "lets go there"..but not to workshop too often.See how we go.

Karabar

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: TM (2011-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: X Engine Size: 1.4L Petrol Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jul 2015

Very pleased

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2017

So pleased with my purchase.
The Barina X 2015 model comes with extras; sunroof, u unique exterior finish, touch screen system (to name a few).
Great on fuel, inexpensive.
Have had mine for short of 3 years now & have had no repairs carried out at the fault of the manufacture.
Would highly recommend to anyone considering buying new or second hand.

1 of 5 pages