Bayer Advocate

See the Best Heart & Intestinal Wormers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Paris P.

Paris P.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Been using this on my cats for a year now.

I apply the treatment every month as advised on the back of the neck on my two indoor/outdoor cats and I have never seen a flea or any of them scratch. Taking one star off because the smell is very strong and my cats get annoyed for a few hours after application because of it. Apart from that, it's a great flea and multi worm treatment.

Purchased in October 2018 at Pet Circle for $60.00.

Pet TypeCat

Works great. Wouldn't use anything else with my girl.

My Cody, a husky, has been using this for years and it takes care of everything. She never had fleas, ticks, or any other problem bug or worm. Great product.

Purchased in January 2013 for $90.00.

This is bad

My 12-year-old Mickey, whose weight is 5-6 kg, has been sleeping for 2 days in a row without sleeping. I will never use the second or third tube for him. NEVER!

Purchased in October 2019 for $40.00.

Eevon

EevonNorth-West & West coast, TAS

Never going to use this anymore!

Applied on shoulder blades of my papillon puppy and it is hurting his skin!
Hes scratching, trying to rub off the poison on the couch, running around non stop trying to get it off and cant sit still as his skin hurts!
He also had diarrhea, not sure if its related to this treatment.

Purchased in May 2019 for $70.00.

Dangerous

Within 16 hours vomiting blood. Ended up with ibd still not right two years later. Plus over five thousand pounds in vet bills.
Would never use again. Did notify bayer but claim never had this reaction despite googling it and sending them numerous other cases. Claimed none reported to them. Changed To holistic vet said he treats at least one case a week for adverse reactions to advocate.

Purchased in May 2017.

Side Effects Long-term illness
Pet TypeDog

Take this product down from the market

After applying to my cat, she has become very lethargic, whatever she eats she vomits, she seems unsettled... If I know I would never, ever put it near my cat. I cannot see how anyone can consider it something safe to put on cats. I am so angry I did not check the reviews before as I probably would not agree for it.

Purchased in May 2019.

Grace

GraceGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Potent stuff damages furniture

I have used this product on both my cat and dog and it works fine for flea and worm control. Both my pets have not had any adverse reactions other people describe. I just hate applying it because this stuff stinks. It also runs off after applying and has discouloured my leather couch and taken the varnish off wooden furniture! I’d hate to think what it’s doing to my poor pets’ skin. I think I’ll stick to flea and worming tablets in future.

Purchased in December 2018 at PetBarn for $90.00.

Paul

PaulGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Bad news all around. This product sent my lab nutty for a day.

This product has led to extreme lethargy and avoidance of his pack (his human family) each time. We just made the connection. The dog was not himself for 24 hours. Won't be using it again. Not enamoured with Bayer to say the least.

Purchased in January 2019 at PetBarn.

Aref Eshghi

Aref EshghiAU

It got rid of fleas

Actually, I was shocked by most of the reviews on the Advocate! My experience has been quite the opposite! I rescued a kitten and it had fleas. I used Advocate once and I think there are no fleas on it! Actually I saw fleas falling from him 2 hours after using it. I saw no strange reactions in my cat! I will continue using it and hopefully it will be fine!

Purchased in February 2019.

Pet TypeCat

Dachshund is very poorly !

I give my 1 year old Dachshund his pipette on his neck , he didn't react straight off but literally an hour later he has now become very lethargic , hardly eating & dry heaving ! I'm so worried about him as he's so constipated. I'm very strict on what he eats & has only the best ( Royal Canin) but this has basically nearly killed my dog. I have to go to vets and it change this. If he isn't well I will be taking this all the way. He's only a miniature dachshund. It's enough to kill him. Hang your heads in shame! Never again

CavoodleDolittleDo

CavoodleDolittleDoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Have fleas developed resistance to imidacloprid / moxidectin?

My 14 1/2-year-old Cavoodle has been treated with Advocate since before she could say mumma or dadda. It has always been effective... until now. Her past three treatments have been slightly before the month interval. But she appears to have a resident flea population. I keep the Advocate in the fridge so I know it isn't degrading. Unless the persistent hot and humid weather denatures the Advocate excipients before they have been absorbed or her aging body interferes with systemic distribution, I can't see any other reasonable explanation for active fleas.

Purchased in November 2018 for $70.25.

Pet TypeDog

Dog now on steroids after adverse reaction..

Gave this to my 3yr old yellow lab. Immediately started to be aggitated and scratching. After a few hours bumps appeared on his skin and red blotches on his tummy. Took him to the vets. Given steroid injection. Couldn't settle and up all night scratching and agitated. Gave him benadryl antihistamine in the morning which calmed down the itching but knocked him out for the day. Back to the vets for another steroid injection and dog antihistamines. Skin bright red all over and still very puffy head, eyes, legs and v unhappy doggy. Now on a course of steroids. Vet has taken the batch number and will report to bayer.........

Digbysmum

DigbysmumMelbourne

Itchy skin infections

It gave my poor little dog skin infections. She was fine before use
and had not a flea on her and after use she was itching so bad I took her to the vet where they told me she has a skin infection. Now my poor dog is on really strong antibiotics and steroids to help. $200 later and she still isn't better. Lethargic and hasn't eaten for days, poor thing is in very bad shape.

shazcam

shazcam

Cat was walking sideways..

Vet advised me to try product for fleas, put it on back of neck last night, came home today from work and cat was walking sideways, on back legs, falling , very unstable on feet, she has no illnesses at all and is 5 years old. Vet was closed, I rang a City after hours vet who advised me to bath her, which I did ..This may not happen with every cat but did with mine

Killed my 18 mth old lab

Applied on both healthy (vet checked the day before) 18 mth old sibling labs Sat nite. Female had immediate violent reaction rolling in dirt seemingly trying to remove the Advocate which was placed on 3 points along the back of her body (as per vet and product advice for big dogs). We thought it was just "irritation" and did nothing, sadly. 4 days later vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy followed by death within 24 hours of symptom onset. Other dog ok but didn't like the application. Won't risk this again on surviving dog. Advise all to avoid at all costs.

Disy

DisyIllawarra, NSW

Product

My kitten has used this product no effects will continue to use one of the better flea product going around

Saroz

SarozPerth

Vomiting and clearly the smell is overpowering

Observe your animals CAREFULLY when using this product. Both our cats start squinting and blinking their eyes the second it is opened. This was even on the first time we tried it. We have used it for several months as we thought it would be great as it was both for fleas and worms so the boys[ cats] didn't have to be treated with multiple things. But no more. I can smell it as well and it is horrid and almost burns your eyes so they water [yes, I am very sensitive to things as is our 12yr old son...if WE can then it's worse for the animals!]. One cat we have realised vomits in the first 24hrs it is administered. The other has diarrhea for a week every time. Never had any of this with other products.

Scary

I gave this to my 5 year old Chihuahua after I found a flea on her, it was recommended by the pet store. It’s about 6 hours after treatment and I couldn’t find her. Calling and calling her and no response. Started panicking she must have escaped but no there she is lying in the middle of the lawn on the dark with her head following some unseen object. Cowering when I go near her and unable to walk properly. Her back legs are squatting down.
Earlier she was hyperventilating as she usually does when a thunderstorm appears, but there wasn’t a thunderstorm. Now I’m wondering if it was the Advocate all along?

Poison

Gave this to my 1,5yo frenchie for ear mites, 24h later she started having movement problems, could not walk properly, jump, was dizzy, letargic, sleepy, low appetite. Vomited once. Another 12h later I figured it was because of the Advocate and washed her with shampoo. Half an hour later she was much much better. Walking, jumping, happy, eating...

Do not use on your pet!

Diana

DianaDiscipline da144hu

Not safe.

Used on my 16yr cat twice second month found fleas on her. Did not eat for two days had blood test come back normal. Cost me 200 pounds. Could have been avoided if stayed with advantage