Potent stuff damages furniture

I have used this product on both my cat and dog and it works fine for flea and worm control. Both my pets have not had any adverse reactions other people describe. I just hate applying it because this stuff stinks. It also runs off after applying and has discouloured my leather couch and taken the varnish off wooden furniture! I’d hate to think what it’s doing to my poor pets’ skin. I think I’ll stick to flea and worming tablets in future.

Purchased in December 2018 at PetBarn for $90.00.

Pet TypeDog

Bad news all around. This product sent my lab nutty for a day.

This product has led to extreme lethargy and avoidance of his pack (his human family) each time. We just made the connection. The dog was not himself for 24 hours. Won't be using it again. Not enamoured with Bayer to say the least.

Purchased in January 2019 at PetBarn.

Side Effects Short-term illness

It got rid of fleas

Actually, I was shocked by most of the reviews on the Advocate! My experience has been quite the opposite! I rescued a kitten and it had fleas. I used Advocate once and I think there are no fleas on it! Actually I saw fleas falling from him 2 hours after using it. I saw no strange reactions in my cat! I will continue using it and hopefully it will be fine!

Purchased in February 2019.

Pet TypeCat

Dachshund is very poorly !

I give my 1 year old Dachshund his pipette on his neck , he didn't react straight off but literally an hour later he has now become very lethargic , hardly eating & dry heaving ! I'm so worried about him as he's so constipated. I'm very strict on what he eats & has only the best ( Royal Canin) but this has basically nearly killed my dog. I have to go to vets and it change this. If he isn't well I will be taking this all the way. He's only a miniature dachshund. It's enough to kill him. Hang your heads in shame! Never again

PetDog

Have fleas developed resistance to imidacloprid / moxidectin?

My 14 1/2-year-old Cavoodle has been treated with Advocate since before she could say mumma or dadda. It has always been effective... until now. Her past three treatments have been slightly before the month interval. But she appears to have a resident flea population. I keep the Advocate in the fridge so I know it isn't degrading. Unless the persistent hot and humid weather denatures the Advocate excipients before they have been absorbed or her aging body interferes with systemic distribution, I can't see any other reasonable explanation for active fleas.

Purchased in November 2018 for $70.25.

Pet TypeDog

Dog now on steroids after adverse reaction..

Gave this to my 3yr old yellow lab. Immediately started to be aggitated and scratching. After a few hours bumps appeared on his skin and red blotches on his tummy. Took him to the vets. Given steroid injection. Couldn't settle and up all night scratching and agitated. Gave him benadryl antihistamine in the morning which calmed down the itching but knocked him out for the day. Back to the vets for another steroid injection and dog antihistamines. Skin bright red all over and still very puffy head, eyes, legs and v unhappy doggy. Now on a course of steroids. Vet has taken the batch number and will report to bayer.........

Itchy skin infections

It gave my poor little dog skin infections. She was fine before use
and had not a flea on her and after use she was itching so bad I took her to the vet where they told me she has a skin infection. Now my poor dog is on really strong antibiotics and steroids to help. $200 later and she still isn't better. Lethargic and hasn't eaten for days, poor thing is in very bad shape.

PetDog

Cat was walking sideways..

Vet advised me to try product for fleas, put it on back of neck last night, came home today from work and cat was walking sideways, on back legs, falling , very unstable on feet, she has no illnesses at all and is 5 years old. Vet was closed, I rang a City after hours vet who advised me to bath her, which I did ..This may not happen with every cat but did with mine

Killed my 18 mth old lab

Applied on both healthy (vet checked the day before) 18 mth old sibling labs Sat nite. Female had immediate violent reaction rolling in dirt seemingly trying to remove the Advocate which was placed on 3 points along the back of her body (as per vet and product advice for big dogs). We thought it was just "irritation" and did nothing, sadly. 4 days later vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy followed by death within 24 hours of symptom onset. Other dog ok but didn't like the application. Won't risk this again on surviving dog. Advise all to avoid at all costs.

Product

My kitten has used this product no effects will continue to use one of the better flea product going around

PetCat

Vomiting and clearly the smell is overpowering

Observe your animals CAREFULLY when using this product. Both our cats start squinting and blinking their eyes the second it is opened. This was even on the first time we tried it. We have used it for several months as we thought it would be great as it was both for fleas and worms so the boys[ cats] didn't have to be treated with multiple things. But no more. I can smell it as well and it is horrid and almost burns your eyes so they water [yes, I am very sensitive to things as is our 12yr old son...if WE can then it's worse for the animals!]. One cat we have realised vomits in the first 24hrs it is administered. The other has diarrhea for a week every time. Never had any of this with other products.

Scary

I gave this to my 5 year old Chihuahua after I found a flea on her, it was recommended by the pet store. It’s about 6 hours after treatment and I couldn’t find her. Calling and calling her and no response. Started panicking she must have escaped but no there she is lying in the middle of the lawn on the dark with her head following some unseen object. Cowering when I go near her and unable to walk properly. Her back legs are squatting down.
Earlier she was hyperventilating as she usually does when a thunderstorm appears, but there wasn’t a thunderstorm. Now I’m wondering if it was the Advocate all along?

Poison

Gave this to my 1,5yo frenchie for ear mites, 24h later she started having movement problems, could not walk properly, jump, was dizzy, letargic, sleepy, low appetite. Vomited once. Another 12h later I figured it was because of the Advocate and washed her with shampoo. Half an hour later she was much much better. Walking, jumping, happy, eating...

Do not use on your pet!

Not safe.

Used on my 16yr cat twice second month found fleas on her. Did not eat for two days had blood test come back normal. Cost me 200 pounds. Could have been avoided if stayed with advantage

Bad reaction

I have treated both of my adult cats today with advocate and they have both had a bad reaction to it. They appear scared and jumpy, if I go near them they cower as if I’m going to hurt them and are behaving weirdly in general. I do hope this reaction wears off soon , it’s been quite scary to watch them . I certainly won’t use this again !!

Complete and effective

It is a great prevention treatment for all paracites including heartworm and it also keeps your cats free of fleas!

Hair Loss

Our cat has never been fond of this product and runs when he sees it coming. We’ve been using it for 5 months now. I applied it two days ago and today we’ve found the area of application with no hair, and his skin is blistered.

Possibly dangerous drug

All 5 of my 5 chihuahuas on Advocate have been diagnosed with mitral valve disease, seizures, & arthritis, and 3 of them died prematurely. Some might say that this is a coincidence or due to other confounding factors, EXCEPT for the fact that my family and I have been caring for chihuahuas for over 40 years. Before I had my present five chihuahuas, my family (parents, siblings) and I, have had a total of 10 purebred chihuahuas & one chihuahua cross. None of these chihuahuas had any serious or unpredictable medical conditions - no heart disease, or seizures, and all 11 of the dogs lived between 14 - 16 years of age.
My recent chihuahuas on Advocate have all died around 11 years of age, and ALL share the same medical conditions (though they are not all related). Coincidence? I don't think so.

Made my older cat sick

I have used this for many years and have been happy with it. I recently used it again on my 16 year old cat and within 24 hours she stopped eating, retreated from contact with us and was generally unwell for about 10 days. Unfortunately I can't use this again.

Not happy

I’ve used this on my cat twice now. The first time she started acting out of character. Usually very friendly and loving affectionate cat she became distant and wasn’t eating her food. Only lasted a few days didn’t think too much of it. Gave her another dose yesterday and she’s been so distant all day, getting very angry, not coming inside like she usually does at night and angry everytime I approach her. I’m convinced it’s because of advocate. Won’t be giving it to her again.

PetCat

My daughter has accidentally put medium dog advocate on our large dog ( luckily not the other way around). Does this mean she won’t be protected this month as obviously if I put the large dose on now she will be overdosed. Would we be able to put another medium dog on her or is it just not worth the risk?

Use advocate regularly and found tiny white worms can use advocate again last dose twelve days ago Thanks Judy
Where on the cat did you find the worms?

I am fostering a 3.5 yr old mixed breed shepherd/am. staffordshire/bull terrier/mix. 64 lbs=29.03kg. Heart worm positive adult and microfilaria. Last blood test showed no more microfilaria (dirofilaria?). 3/7/19 she received her first treatment and spent the day at the vet in case there was a reaction. Only lethargic. Today 3/21/19 I applied a second treatment as I was instructed and will apply monthly from now on. My question is will this treatment be enough to kill the adult heartworms and keep them from producing young??? The Advocate box I have shows a shepherd and bernard on the front.

Similar listings