AL-KO Soft Touch Push Mower 38HM

AL-KO Soft Touch Push Mower 38HM

See the Best Manual Lawn Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

6 years now

I've had this mower for about six years and it still cuts well without ever being sharpened. Maybe lucky. First push one I've had that actually works!
I wouldn't say it makes for a prestige lawn but I use it when appearance doesn't matter too much just to control the height, and if I want to tidy it up I use the power mower
It's cheap, quiet, does the job and costs nothing to run. Perfect for a rental or as in my case, exercise :)
*The exact date of purchase is a bit of a guess

Date PurchasedApr 2012

Best push mower of the bunch

I tried a few push mowers before I bought this one and I am very happy with it. I have a lawn just over 100m2 and it is so easy to mow with the AL-KO. I used to have a petrol mower which I hated to use because of fuel, mixing, noise, weight, servicing etc. Was considering a battery mower but they are expensive.

With the push mower I actually enjoy mowing and look forward to it. I now do it more regularly and is better for my lawn too. There is a certain zen to using a push mower..... You have to own it to know it.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

This is one of the best push mowers I have used, and the first I have purchased.

Pro's:I have had this mower for 5 years and the blades have never dulled. Lighter than others I have tried and just as the manufacturer notes, it cuts broadleaf grass very well, but it does not cut the skinny plasticky grass that is used in the lawn patch filling seed packs found in hardware stores. It is so easy to use I give my small lawn a mow(only takes 5 minutes) once a week so have never needed the catcher.
Friends of mine recently moved into a house with a small backyard and were pleasantly surprised with how well it worked compared with the one left (in rental house) for agreed lawn maintenance. They are now making good use of it while I am away.
Con's: Could have more refined height adjuster, the metal in roller at the rear disintegrated (after being left in the open out in the garden) after 4 years. The mower is still useable and i still use it, but it is very difficult to pull backwards in order to push forwards again to mow.
I am now looking at buying a cordless electric mower but there are so many issues still to overcome (battery life, rechargability etc).
Will probably end up buying another AL-KO but would like the rear roller metal pin to be upgraded to a less corrosive alternative.

Date PurchasedNov 2012

Great little mower for small yards

I bought one of these around two years ago when I was establishing a mixed tall fescue/perennial ryegrass lawn in my back yard which had previously been only gravel and weeds. The mower worked out very well whilst the lawn was establishing itself, but once established and the grass had thickened up it became hard work, so I ended up buying a motor mower.

The Al-Ko soft touch is a perfect mower if you have a small lawn area, e.g. if you live in a terrace house, town house or villa unit. It is quiet and effective for small areas. I still use mine in areas that are too tight for the motor mower, such as between buildings and fences and under trees.

I would recommend top-dressing a small lawn to even it out any bumps and hollows, a smooth run is more important for a push mower than with a motor mower.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Fun the first few times, a chore thereafter

Pros: The final results of using this mower are pretty good. Grass is cut quite evenly and keeps growing healthily. Optional catcher works really well and is easy to empty. Light unit, easy to move around.

Cons: The smallest twig will jam the whole thing up, no matter how much speed you've built in a run-up. On uneven ground the catcher will sometimes undo itself. On the highest cut setting, the catcher will make the unit fall over backwards so you need to rest it up against something. Long grass/weeds don't get cut. If mowing up against a wall, it will leave a 5cm strip of uncut grass that needs to be finished off with a trimmer. Handle is also a bit high, which makes it easy to tilt the mower backwards making the cut inconsistent vs keeping it level or even tilting it forwards a bit.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

adjustment is everything

I found the pictorial instructions confusing, but as a qualified Turf Manager, I worked it out quickly.
Does what it should, cuts cleanly. Personally, I would like more, finer adjustment.
You must remember that any growth higher than or close to the centre shaft of the cutting cylinder will not cut. It will just lay down. This is the same for all cylinder mowers.
My only concern at this point is maintaining cylinder sharpness.
Remember that these cut like a pair of scissors.
Maintain accordingly.

Great little mower does the job every time

I bought this because I have a small level grassed area fenced off for the dog and wanted to be able to mow that space myself. I've had the mower for over 18 months and it has consistently given me a good easy cut without much effort, and I'm a 53 kg woman in my sixties. Could not be happier with this product and would recommend it to anyone.

Forget all the good review - it is a terrible product -

Bought this recently and postage is super fast. This is my first lawn mower as I only got small lawn around 100m2. I interested in push lawn mower as I borrowed my friend's ozito push mower which works excellent on my buffalo grass. So i saw this product got a lot of positive review so it won't be worse than ozito one right? How totally wrong I am - it keep getting stuck by the grass and the catcher is waste of money it keeps falling apart. If you want to buy a push mower avoid this product at all cost especially if you have tough grass like buffalo grass and the customer service has not respond to my email.
Nothing
Everything - cant cut grass and catcher keep falling apart

Great for small grass areas

This mower is only good if you have a smaller area to mow as you still need to use a fair bit of manual power. Definitely light years ahead of my grandfathers manual mower from the 1970s! Reasonably good re-sale value for us after we moved into a larger home.
The instructions are a bit tricky and sometimes is a bit hard to change the settings on the cutting height, however that is due to it being all manual.
Perfect for small areas as its enviro friendly and not noisy like traditional mowers
Too time consuming if you have larger grassy areas or have left the grass to grow for more than 2-3 weeks.

Just Right

After reading lots of reviews on a number of different products, I puchased this mower as a gift. We found it easy to assemble and ideal for the size of lawn. Grass was long and damp but managed to cut through it well. Keeping grass to a manageable length will make each subsequent cut easier.

Great product and customer service

I bought this mower after seeing good reviews on this site along with one other product. I had an enquiry about the delivery and al-ko's customer service was really awesome. They emailed and rang within 30 minutes. I mowed the lawn and found it difficult at first because the grass had overgrown. After I changed the settings for taller grass, it worked like a charm.
Easy to use and store. Good exercise at the same time.
I found that thick grass or twigs tend to jam the mower which was easy enough to remove though. More of a nuisance more than anything.

so easy to use

I don't find any problem with longer grass, maybe mine have tiny blades (not sure what variety they are). A bit hard to push around a bit of slope, but this can get used to, using different angles to move mower around. It was difficult to adjust the cutting height though, the part was really stuck in my mower. But once that was done, the mower was set to go, not hard to assemble (and has not fallen apart so far!)
light, easy to push and carry and store. Service and delivery was also faultless.
see review

Great Product

Gave it a try on the lawn which has only recently been machine mowed & is very easy to use. Catcher never came off. No more putting my back out trying to start the mower up. :D word word word word word word word word word word word word word
Easy to assemble. Folds away neatly not taking up too much space.
Did not find the manual to be very instructive.

Seems that for me it is non usable in spring/summer. It does not cut the seed stems of the grass even though the stems are very thin.

Useless for couch grass

I purchased this mower thinking it would be good for a small lawn (couch grass). I adjusted the blades as per the instruction booklet (paper wide) and gave it a go. The blades spin fast enough when there's no grass around, but gets stuck after a few rotations over the lawn. I've tried adjusting the blades at numerous widths and the blades either get stuck or don't cut at all. I spent several weekends sweating trying to get the grass cut, only to have to resign to taking up the neighbour's offer of using their petrol mower instead.

I've not tried this on other types of grass, but it was a big waste of time and money for me.

Great push mower

I found this mower easy to assemble great to use and was easy to purchase and delivered in excellant time.It is great to mow and not have to breathe in any exhaust fumes and I love the catcher it is very functional and works great. I am finding now I dont have to do the mowing all the time as my wife and son also enjoy using the mower as well.
I enjoy not breathing in exhaust fumes like I used too

Easy to use

Really light and simple to use, does a great job cutting grass. Not so good on weeds. Also doesn't handle the grass if its too long. I'm on the Gold Coast and would need to mow twice a week in summer otherwise it gets too long and I need to use the petrol mower instead.
Very light and simple to use. Much easier than getting the petrol mower out.
Hates weeds and long grass.

Excellent for a push mower

Easy to push, cuts well as long as grass is relatively short and comes with a catcher that works. I found the company rep very helpful and have nothing but praise for the purchase process and posting time frame. I can't imagine there is a better push mower out there so do yourself a favour and buy one of these.
Easy to push compared to my previous push mower.

AL-KO Soft Touch 38HM Comfort

Great mower light and compact and cuts really well, ideal for my small lawns but could easily be used for larger areas. I got the grass collector for the mower included which is ideal and dies the job really well. Easy to clean and adjust cutting height. Perfect mower for any lawns.
Light and small

Good Push Lawn Mower

Easy to assembly and good quality. It will mow the short grass perfectly. However since this is a push lawn mower, you will find difficulty to mow long grass even though it has height adjustment. If you are regular use of lawn mower, then this is a best choice of product. However you do not mow often then I strongly suggest to get electric or petrol lawn mower. You will find it hard to mow when the grass is long and the catcher will not work with the long grass too.
Maintenance free, Good quality and ease of use
Hard to mow on long grass

Everyone should own one. Thanks AL-KO for building a fine machine.

Having used it now for some time twice a week (summer time = grass growing) I can only say it is a breeze to use. cuts like a dream and is no way as hard I I imagined. The gras catcher works OK too. Everyone should own one (well at least if you don,t have acreage). Thanks AL-KO for building a fine machine.
It's quiet (don't wake the neighbour anymore). It really works with quite little effort.