Apple iMac 27 inch 2011 Mid

Apple iMac 27 inch 2011 Mid

Nothing but trouble from day 1.

Had been using an 11 year old PC with upgrades over time, reliable machine and still fires up 100% although well overdue for a new machine so I decided to get into an iMac 27inch.
To give it a try and see if I could get my head around the Apple OS etc I decided to buy a used 2011 model and all being well would buy a new model Mac down the track.

I am glad I didn't buy a new $3000 Mac up front because these things have a zillion issues apparently and all are horrendously expensive to repair mostly due to ridiculous prices on Apple spares.

The model I got had the very common video card(GPU) issue, it's an AMD card and costs $600 to replace!! - I can buy a base spec PC for that price alone!. There have been major issues with the power supply unit too, twice the price of a PC unit and that's used! a new one I found listed at $900!!.

The risk in buying these machines is that they may not be reliable into the future and will be astronomically expensive to repair if one of the very common issues appears. ( I should have simply googled iMac 27 inch problems before buying one but was seduced by the rave reviews of some owners/ friends ).

My iMac will be getting sold for scrap/parts and I'll take the loss and learn from it but I'd say if you are considering an iMac computer then do some research before you take the plunge, the net is full of dissatisfied iMac users who have encountered these issues and more and have been left out of pocket and angry.

Meanwhile I'm using my 11 year old PC whilst searching for a higher specification new PC which will out perform an iMac and cost half the price, will be far cheaper to upgrade in future and will be far more reliable.

In a nutshell, be aware that iMacs are extremely expensive and difficult to repair or upgrade once they are a few years old as parts can be almost impossible to find if you do find yourself having one of the very common issues with these machines.

This has been my personal experience but I have friends who own and use the same model daily and have not had any of the same issues - go figure - but be aware that some machines do have problems and do your research before taking the plunge.

Big, Bold, Fast

It's a few years old now, but I still love my 2011 27" Apple iMac. The 4k screen is stunning, and the processor is still fast at rendering movies. The hard drive is getting slow and probably needs replacing with an SSD.

Apple, Thank You! Perfect all the way! Apple iMac27

Purchased in July 2011, iMac27

I have been a PC user all my computing life until I came across the iPhone. After using the iPhone for a while it became clear that Apple were ticking all the right boxes in every way. The real deal sealer for me was the unbelievable customer service in store. I had a problem with the iPhone which one of the major Telco's could not fix after a few weeks so I decided to give Apple a call. Everything thing from here on was a breeze! 1 minute into my consultation with the Apple tech and my phone was pretty much ready to go after signing some paper work.

During a new business start up I was doing my research into new computers and Apple was high on the list. I went over every detail for PC and Mac. This included checking for software compatibility for a Mac to my accountants running only PC, graphic designers using PC and Mac. To cut it down.... Apple came through with flying colours.

My next step I contacted Apple to have a chat, I was handed over to a business consultant straight away and they answered every question on the spot. I was even given a reduced price on the quote for our purchase. In store they have a couple of every model computer on show for you to try out all connected to the net. Service in store in great when you consider how many people are in there checking things out. They have a very unique way of dealing with the large number of people in store (school holidays!!!)

For me all the above sealed the deal with Apple. Overall product amazing, customer service amazing, after care amazing, knowledge of products by staff and techs amazing, design and ease of use amazing even coming from a PC user, speed and response amazing. The whole Apple process for me so far has been probably the best service I have come across.

Products I purchased were, iMac27, MacBook Pro 13.3, extra software, One to One support. One to One support is an add on worth it's weight in gold if you are coming from PC and want to know all the ins and outs of a Mac. You get one year of one on one support with someone who specialises in the part of the Mac you need answers on as well as access to an online account which you can view added video tutorials they are not available to the general public, only One to One purchases. Staff even set up new Mac's in store to save us doing it at home, they stepped us through the whole set up which was a breeze anyway!

Thank you Apple for taking the time to produce such a picture perfect plan on products and support. Such a hard thing to find these days!
World Class Service, great after care, reliable solid product, space saving, ease of use, sleek design, it just WORKS every time with everything, great price for this quality and I could go on!!!
Nothing so far!