Australia Post Gift Card

Australia Post Gift Card

Absolutely rubbish!

The card is pointless. I've tried multiple online sites and all keep declining. What is the point of stating that this card works for online purchases when no company accepts them. How can I get my money back?!

Jenny M.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Terrible!

I went into the Preston South PO Office on 4/3/20 & purchased a $100 David Jones Gift Card. I gave the card to my friend to use in a David Jones Store. The Sales Assistant advised it was INACTIVE! I received a call from the Store Assistant & you can imagine my embarrassment!! I went back to the Post Office & asked for a refund. The post office could not give me a refund. I explained to them that the card was faulty & it did not serve the purpose. I gave my friend $100 cash instead & am now stuck with this gift card that I do not want!!! DO NOT purchase gift cards, they are not worth your time to follow them up as they don't work!!!!!!

Michael M.Australia Post

Cannot be used online

Even though it states in the documentation how to use it for online purchases, I have yet to find a site that accepts it. As stated by others, PayPal will not accept it, Mighty Ape says "our bank has instructed us not to accept this card", and EB Games says "An error occurred. Please try your payment again or try a different payment method". Has anyone ever successfully performed an online transaction using one of these cards?

RoyM

RoyM

Does not work with paypal.

I will add another thumbs down on top of the many other thumbs down below. This card cannot be used in any situation where the merchant requires a name+address. This includes little sites you might have heard of like amazon, ebay, paypal.

The person at the end of the 1800 number had not heard about this problem before, which is mind boggling given the number of reviews pointing it out. They suggested I contact "someone" to manually enter this information (what information? they didn't know).

I hope I will eventually find somewhere to use this card, but currently it seems useless for the receiver and embarrassing for the giver.

saf

safSydney Surrounds, NSW

Restrictive

Tried to use my card at Woolworths and it was declined. I rang client services and was told the reason was that I had tried to pay part of an amount greater than what was on the card. I replied that this has never been an issue with any other gift card as I simply pay the difference. The reply was that these cards only allow transactions up to the value of the card and not as part payments. So in other words I have try to buy as close to the $50 as possible and any left over is effectively useless unless i can keep staying under the remainder until the amount is so small as to be not worth the hassle. No other gift card in my experience has this stupid restriction.

Ibne F.Australia Post

The card doesn't work for me

PayPal gives an error for the card when you try to link it and says it's been rejected by the card holder. I called the Mastercard Gift Card support number and they were unfortunately unhelpful. I don't really understand why that has to happen, I don't want to use my card in a physical store and I only ever buy from places that accept PayPal. Kind of a waste of money. Is there any way to get the funds transferred to a prepaid Visa instead? I know those work with PayPal just fine. I got it as a gift last Christmas.

Tracey

TraceySouth East Queensland, QLD

love the card

Go into auspost.com.au/giftcards the page will come up Register/Login first register your card then you can check balances by "Login" after making purchases I dont use this gift card for online purchases, not my thing but use it for all everyday purchases such as grocery shopping, going out to dinner and any shop that has an eftpos machine, you can use this card. it must be swiped, press "CREDIT" and then enter pin if asked. for some shops like woolies and coles you dont need to enter pin. overall happy with the card

Ibne F.Australia Post

These cards are a waste of time!!!

These cards CANNOT be used with Paypal or any online store that asks for an address for the card! What a joke!! Was given of these cards as a gift but have been unable to use it online....now trying to find a way to get the money off the card and into my account so I don't lose it.

Simon

SimonMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Can’t check balance

Cards works well, but unable to check balance on any of them . I enter the correct card I’d number and my email address and it tells me it is invalid I’d every time. Very frustrating

Doesn't work

Can't link to Paypal, "Declined by card provider"
Seems unusable in many online situations, they usually want to go through Paypal.
Discontinued Visa gift card was perfect, never had any problems with those.

Fiona

FionaGippsland, VIC

DO NOT RECOMMEND IT

work, put it away in disgust... it again and it's expired by 2 months. I contacted the customer queries and nothing can be done. Very disappointed, many other major companies are lenient and will extend the expiry....especially after we have had problems trying to use it. DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!

Absolute garbage

I was gifted a gift card for christmas. Every online store I have tried to use it on rejects it. Can't link it to Paypal either.
I would not recommend to anyone.

Horrible gift card! Can't use anywhere

Purchased this card last week in store.
So far, it's failed to work in store at Dan Murphy's, plus online at Kmart and Cotton on.
Australia Post needs to specify where the gift card can be used on it's website/ gift card brochure OR take it off the shelf to save customers from wasting their money.

Natalie
Natalie

I've pretty much given up trying after the failed attempts.

Michael O

Michael OGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

A terrible gift idea

The card could not be used at the first two online retailers that I attempted to make purchases (both were safe and trusted retailers). I contacted 'Card Services' and was told that one retailer was 'white listed' but they would authorise same. I was instructed to wait for an email. The email arrived 24 hours later. I tried again to no avail. Not worth purchasing. An embarrassing gift to give or recieve!!

Useless for online purchases

I purchased this for my mother and loaded it with a $500 to make online purchases without fear of getting scammed for larger amounts. So far it has been rejected at every online store we have tried. This has included large stores like Groupon & Mango (MNG) Clothing. Not sure what the point of it is.

Amy
Amy

JohnGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Support sucks

1300 support number puts you on hold for 30mins, the support on the other end was minimal and abrupt. Faviola was not supportive or helpful at all, understandably she probably deals with a lot of angry upset customers, but I think if she were a bit more skilled at empathy and calming down callers (rather than being abbrasive) it would help her. As for the card itself, don't even bother. Basically an 'officialised scam', not worth it, just give cash. Cash won't expire and have extra charges.

JanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Could not use at Australia Post

I am a pensioner and was given some Australia Post gift cards to help me pay my bills. At Redcliffe QLD post office I was told I was not allowed to pay my Water bill because the lady (who is always rude and never smiles) said someone has scammed a gift card so we are not accepting them to pay bills.
I was then forced to pay with my credit card which I now have to find the money to pay it off.
Surely it is illegal under the Fair Trading Act to change the terms of use after purchase?
PS All of the other staff are lovely.
I am not happy and think the $238.17 should be refunded to my credit card and the gift card charged. Ruined my Christmas.

Jan

The lady said they had received an email that someone had scammed using an Australia Post Gift card and that they were told in the email not to allow people to use the gift card to pay their bills.

ThomasGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

DIDN'T WORK ONLINE

queenlolzy

queenlolzySydney, NSW

Doesn't work online

Sami M.Australia Post
Pineapple-man

Pineapple-manSydney, NSW

Won't reveal which stores you used the card at.

Sami M.Australia Post

Hey Pineapple-man,

I understand how annoying this is and I'd like to get in touch with Load&Go for you so I can find out what is going on. I've sent you a message for some more details that will help us get some answers.

Steve D.

Steve D.asked

I am having the same experience with the prepaid Australia Post Mastercard gift card as many of the previous posters, i.e. am finding that Paypal is not accepting this card as payment. When I try to pay for purchases using this card, the message I get is "Your card provider couldn't verify your card. Please try again or use a different card." What's more when I checked the balance on the card it looks like Paypal is charging $1 each time for the unsuccessful transaction, which makes it even more galling.

I'm loath to call the customer service number cited above (1800 549 718) because I had to do this already to activate the card and it took several attempts to get through just to do that. Any help?

Ibne F.Australia Post

HI Steve, can you please send me a private message with the following details so that I can ask the Mastercard team to get back to you?

- Your full name
- Contact no & email
- Date of birth
- Description of the issue

Tim

Timasked

Just some additional comment here with regard to online purchases. I have a Mastercard travel card (Cash Passport) and I have had instances of not being able to make payments with this kind of prepaid card.

It was explained to me that cards issued by Mastercard Prepaid Management Services employ what's called Address Verification System. Such a system compares the numerical components of the address on file with the address you provide the merchant.
But because the A.P. gift card doesn't hold any address on file, I'm inclined to wonder what else would cause it to reject online. I know the instructions tell you to use the name "Gift Cardholder" if asked for a name for any purchase.

Sounds like a silly system. People should have the right to register a name and address with the card when activating it (I was only asked for my surname - haven't started using it).

If gift cardholders cannot get a satisfactory resolution out of the product, I suggest contacting the ACCC.

Ibne F.Australia Post

Hi Tim, while it was rejected online, did it provide any error code? And did you contact our customer service at 1800 549 718? If yes, and we failed to resolve the issue, kindly send me a private message with the following details:
Your full name, email & contact no
Date of birth

lorraine hasked

why cant i check my balance tried so many times

lorraine h

well how do i know how much money is left

Ibne F.Australia Post

Hi Lorraine, sorry to know that you are unable to check your balance. Have you contacted the customer service team at 1800 549 718? If you have contacted them and have not received a resolution, please send me a private message with the following details:

Your full name, email address, contact no
Your date of birth
Whether you have the case no handy
What was the resolution given to you

Get an answer from our members and Australia Post representatives