• Booking Process
  • Vehicle Condition
  • Received Booked Vehicle
    • No, I received a better vehicle (10)
    • No, I received a worse vehicle (7)

Nam

NamGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Consider other options

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a better vehicle

Phil

PhilGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Security bond problem > solved

Update:
We tried to reach the company via the old website and phone number which seem not to exist anymore. Thanks to this website here I got I. Contact with another actual customer and got the new website.
Today I got my bond back in our account.
Will have an eye on my credit card if there are any further charges and update my experience here.

We paid a security bond of 1.500 $. 4WDHire has not paid the money back yet. Expect the money as soon as possible, otherwise we will take all possible legal actions.

Disappeared with our money

They sold business as we were on our vacation. As we returned the car we've been assured, everything was well. After a few days I wrote them a friendly reminder but they just sent me over to the liquidator, telling me they are "a whole new company".
Phoenixing failed, as they completely disappeared. Their website has been taken off and all their email addresses aren't reachable anymore.

Janina G.Perth, WA

Don’t rent of this company !!!

Company had been sold while we were on our trip. When we returned the vehicle we didn’t receive the $5000 bond back as we were told it is with the old owner who have called bankruptcy???
Not to mention that the vehicle Was faulty and died on us in the middle of Australia !!
Water leaking from the windscreen, bold tyres, 4WD not engaging, engine light on, doors not closing properly, EBC not working etc.
Horrible customer service
Don’t come near this company it’s a rip off !!!

Not good...

Had hired a RTT 4Wd for a once in a lifetime trip to Australia with my son. Dec 27th to Jan.8th. On top of obvious issues with the truck with almost 300,000km on it, tent poles missing, leaky water jugs or moldy mattress which I could overlook as a seasoned camper.. I'm now facing at the terrible fact that they took my bond money knowing full well they would never return it. I had to provide this bond on Dec 16th 2018 and they filled for bankruptcy on Dec 19th. I hope that all people stuck in the same situation get together and do a class action against this company. This is criminal and unbelievably sad ending of our trip...

JackandzoeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Do not use this Company.

We hired a vehicle and were accused of damaging the it. Money was retained from our bond and never returned.
We took our case to Court and were awarded over $5000 in August 2019. For the past 5 months we have been in discussion with the Company who gave assurances that they would pay. The final date for payment was to be 23rd Dec. This was the date they went into Liquidation.
As with all the other reviews, we were lied to. These people have no ethics or morals. They continue to trade with supposedly "new owners"
It is unbelievable that so many people have had their bonds stolen , even more so when you consider Australian 4WD Hire were being investigated by the ACCC during 2019.

Do Not Hire Any Vehicle From This Company

I hired a 4wd from my holidays around Brisbane last two weeks of December 2019. Everything seemed to be ok. Gave the car back on time And in perfect conditions.
today 16th of January I am still waiting for my security bond. And it’s been so difficult to contact them to arrange my payment back.
So disappointed and annoyed

Conor O.

Conor O.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

$5k security has gone missing, this company is a scam.

Vehicle TypeToyota HiLux

Gone into liquidation and will not refund $5k bond

Returned car, company said they woudl refund bond in 7 days. Since received a letter saying company has been sold and cannot refund bond. But seems to be trading business as usual. Scam company, don't use them.

Carly Boundy

Carly BoundyMurray Region, NSW

Do not on your life use this company!!

They took our bond money and are now in liquidation. absolute thieves! Equipment was crap. car needed mechanical work. Do not use them. you will lose your money. now dealing with liquidator as company won’t return phone calls.

Vehicle TypeToyota LandCruiser 200

Con Artists

Hired one of their cars over the 2019 Xmas break and returned the car with the inspector having no issues with the car. The company is now "sold to another company and is under liquidation", and says we won't get our $5,000 security bond back. The bond costs more than the car rental!

Now when you contact them they tell you that they don't have the money and they're now a new separate entity, yet still trading "business as per usual". They will ask for the same security bond, and chances are you won't get it back either. Don't fall for this scam!

Disgruntled Customer

Disgruntled CustomerSouth East Queensland, QLD

Would Not Recommend

Avoid At Any Cost !!!

Appalling service

Still waiting on a security bond return after 2 weeks!! Car returned and inspected & signed for.
Notified finally that all existing paid funds are now with the liquidators!!
BEWARE this business has just gone bust!!!

4WD 25000km

Roundtrip all Australia 25000km without any problem.
The car was very cooperative, and each time i had to contact the company, i received immediate answer. Bond back very quickly.
2 times 10000 km servicing with 4WD garages, efficient.

Hello Gerard,
Thank you for your valued business and support, we are pleased you have enjoyed your hire with us and we look forward to assisting on your next 4WD adventure!

summer_creek

summer_creekSouth East Queensland, QLD

Super comfortable car, great company. Strongly recommend!

Brand Manager A.Australian 4WD Hire

Thank you so much for your feedback, we are extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your hire and that the vehicle and equipment were well suited to your needs. We sincerely hope to see you back again soon for another 4WD adventure!

Review collected in partnership with Australian 4WD Hire

Australian 4WD Hire! Why Not? I Did and Very Very Happy!

I hired a short wheel base Jeep from Australian 4WD on Barter Card for 13 days.
I picked it up from their Opposite Lock branch at Rothwell.
Tony who was the staff member was most helpful both on pick up and drop off.
The car itself was clean and except for a bulb needed for a front left indicator could not be faulted.
A very good stereo as well was really appreciated and if need Bluetooth just go to the website Uconnect for connection instructions.
Would I hire again. Yes for sure.
Maybe a long wheel base next time as i am getting older ha ha. A bit more comfortable but purely a thought not an absolute need.
Thanks Australian 4wd.
Pete Johnson @ Bali Villa 4u.

Vehicle TypeJeep Wrangler
Brand Manager A.Australian 4WD Hire

Best Customer Service in Australia!

Received Booked Vehicle No, I received a better vehicle

Review collected in partnership with Australian 4WD Hire

Just returned from six days on Fraser Island with a hire 4WD from Australian 4WD Hire. The customer service was excellent and the vehicle provided (a late model Toyota Hilux) was incredible. It made the trip much more enjoyable having a vehicle you could rely on. The camping and 4WD gear provided with the hire was great, especially the fridge! Pick up and drop off was super easy. I would highly recommend using Australian 4WD Hire.

Hello Michael,

Jess

JessPerth, WA

Perfect I would highly recommend!! :)

We used these guys back in Jan this year to use at Fraser Island and they were just what we were looking for. Their customer service was exceptional they treat you like family and we would definitely use these guys again and highly recommend. Thanks guys for helping our holiday one to remember! Regards Clint and Jess 2019

Brand Manager A.Australian 4WD Hire

Thank you Jess! We are very glad that you enjoyed your hire and that our staff provided quality service, this is certainly our aim with all customers. We sincerely hope to see you back again for another 4WD adventure!

Conor O.

Conor O.asked

Is this company still operating, ProductReview appears to think you are not? Your website is offline, your email address doesnt work but you are still posting 5 star reviews but not answering customer questions?

Lee F.
Lee F.

The company changed its website to Explore4wdhire.com.au. As of today the phone number is disconnected. I rang to ask them about my deposit return. The ABN is the same, 638025911. The ASIC website shows the owner as Mahesh Thakur. The registered address is '1605', 530 Little Collins Street, Melbourne which is a mens tailor who knows nothing about the business. Product Review is doing a disservice allowing these 5 star ratings through given the overwhelming evidence that the company is not trading and owes over $300,000 in bond payments to customers.

Annie McDonnell

Annie McDonnellasked

Is your company still running as I have booked a car in Broome in May and paid a deposit..
Annie

Jackandzoe

Have you tried contacting the agent in Broome to see what they say?

Janina G.

I would honestly try to get your money back and rent off a different company.

Janina G.

Don’t pay them a further cent
The new company is corrupt and Probly a family member from previous owner
They have ripped off countless people
They owe us over 8 k
Our car was a lemon and we still paid 3 k for the hire
Also they have not repaid our 5 k in bond
A total ripoff business

Marioasked

It has been ten days since we returned our vehicle in Brisbane on Jan. 08th 2020. We hired a RTT 4WD for 12 days starting Dec 27th 2019. Now I read that people are not getting their bonds back, I haven't heard back from Australian4wdHire yet and I am in the same position too. Any suggestions or recourse? Thanks from Canada!

Daniel F.
Daniel F.

O spoke to my solicitor. He read through the rental agreement, the terms and conditions and the email requesting the bond etc. He indicated to me that it is a clear contractual case between me and the ACN ending 911 which is the new entity. He said that Smart Corp are not privy to the contract irrespective of how the funds were directed to be paid.

He indicated the next course of action would be to contact the company directly indicating that they are in breach of the contract and that Smart Corp is irrelevant to their contractual obligation. Then he said to file an application with the magistrates court to seek an enforceable debt recovery. I'll draft a letter to the company next week and share with your guys if you want to follow suit.

With respect to the liquidators. Joining the list of creditors is a complete waste of time. The owners will have made sure there is not a penny left.

Mario

Thanks Daniel, I would certainly appreciate being kept in the loop here or somewhere else. Maybe there is enough people in the same situation to do a class action if your solicitor sees a need. I also think that joining the list of creditors is a waste of time. We'll maybe see 50$ per 1000$ in three years at best. Should we create a private group to communicate outside of the public domain, I will be also interested. Best Regards,

Mario

By the way I have received the same email as everyone else asking me to contact the liquidator SV Partners.

Get an answer from our members and Australian 4WD Hire representatives