Eveready Dolphin Torch

Eveready Dolphin Torch

See the Best Flashlights / Torches in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Sydney shopper

Sydney shopperSydney, NSW

Difficult to open

Having the same problem as everyone else - can't open it to put the battery in. Will have to ask a strong man to do this which is a shame as I bought the item at coles thinking it would be easy to use.

Purchased in October 2019.

Dave

DaveGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Way better battery life than the old incandescent bulbs.

As most viewers have stated, the front lense is ridiculously difficult to remove in order to perform the very first function to allow the unit to work. (Have one person to hold down and a second to twist. ) A vice would go well too. Lets hope it keeps the moisture out.
The 6v batteries are arguably the worst value for $ battery going. The LED bulb was well overdue. On a more positive note, the size is handy. They are still about the best boating torch going. Floats well, water and rain proof, easy to find on the boat, in car or in camp.

Purchased in October 2019 at IGA.

John P.

John P.South-Eastern Region, NSW

Poor light

Gives a very poor light despite it's imposing size. Sure there are much better options for the price. It is also takes super human strength to open the case for battery installation. Best left alone and am considering return to Bunnings for refund.

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $24.98.

Rajeeka P.

Rajeeka P.Sydney, NSW

Unable to use the product

Bought this yesterday and still trying to take the cover off to insert the battery. Not sure why they have made it so hard. Also can’t remove the sticker at the front.

Poor light quality.

The light provided by this torch is well below the standard expected of Dolphin Torch's, can not recommend at all, if possible keep your old one it is 10 times better!

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Robert D.

Robert D.Perth, WA

Dolphin torch

Has always been a handy torch. Certainly stiff to open. I think stores should be aware of this and test open it before selling the product, especially to the elderly or young (weak grip). The smaller size, yellow colour (safety) and LED lights are a big improvement on the older product.

Purchased in July 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $27.99.

RobIllawarra, NSW

I feel this Dolphin LED torch will be suitable

I purchased this torch and a new battery at my local Coles store yesterday,on returning home i attempted to insert the new battery,well, i could not believe how difficult it was,and i am a strong man. I then thought try a Google search and it was suggested to place the torch between the knees, and with my almighty strength it turned, Wow, i did it.. Once removed it now turns more freely,i have also lubricated the lens thread with a light smear of Tap Grease, and it now turns more easily..

Purchased in June 2019 at Coles Supermarkets for $20.00.

lesGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

totally useless

I have bought 2 Dolphins in the last year. The first failed after 9 months, a fluke-no. The second failed after 2 weeks. Service response non existent. Rubbish product! Would not offer safety when needed.

Purchased in December 2018 at woolworths-carnegie for $20.00.

les

Credit where due. I received two new torches unsolicited and have one in use with new battery from today (28 feb). switch is better, torch works, still tight to assemble but ok.Fingers crossed

That bloke again ..

That bloke again ..North West, QLD

Dolphin torch just so good!!!

Man this torch is just so good! Had the same battery for near on 3 months. 21 days camping , including underwater at night (hehe). Still going great! Haven't put the next battery in yet. Awesome!! Hope Eveready don't read this!!
Mark

They used to be good.

2 main problems with this thing

1) They need to change the label on the torch to have instructions to teach people that the only way to unscrew the top is to hold it between your knees.

2) Then I had lots of trouble getting it working. Tested battery its fine, bulb not blown. Swapping parts between 2 of these same models swapping out bulbs, switch clip, housing, tried every combination but something was not right. Again it's probably something simple that could be mentioned on the label, or even better fix the design.

I used to think the dolphin was a great Aussie thing, but now I'm joining the ranks of sailors who have given up on them. Its a reliability issue therefore a safety issue.

Pauly D

Pauly D

Tough, waterproof & awesome battery life.

Long, wide beam, led globes, tough as & is made to last longer than other torches. Perfect for the boat, camping, blackouts & spotting nocturnal wildlife. Reasonably priced too with battery included & the simple button is super easy to use.

Tracy

TracySteiglitz

Bring back the old design with the big on/off button

Not only is it hard to take the cover off they have now made it harder to turn the torch on and off. The button is now a lot smaller and stiff. If you have big thumbs or a female with long nails it's nearly impossible!

Waste of time and money

Pathetic design flaws that making removing the lens housing near impossible for anyone other than the incredible. Hulk. Electrical connection between the battery interface/switch assemble to the LED housing requires constant fiddling. After all the decades, how could they mess their design up so badly?

I bought this this morning.

I got this torch home. First thing I tried to do was open it to put in the battery. Impossible, tried numerous times and numerous ways. Went knocking on the neighbours door. She had a good go and could not do it either. Read many reports by google and found that many people had this problem. I was all set to take it back to where We had bought it but needed a rest first. A bit more googling. Some one said about putting it between your knees and using both hands. I sat down with it and the sugg stuons worked like a charm, using both hands and turning anti clock wise. It ended up being so easy.

Jude

JudeMelbourne

Ridiculous model

It's ridiculous it has a square front I can't get off to put the battery in it doesn't twist off at all does anyone have any idea how to do this because the instructions don't work

RobRos

RobRosNew South Wales

Yes, it is hard to open, but not impossible!

Well, could not open it with knees and hands as per diagram, so put the main body in a vice (wrapped in old cloth), put on work gloves, and it opened! I am over 70 years of age, getting weaker but working smarter. The lamp gives a strong clear light, "floodlight", and being LED, the battery ought last a long time. Now, off to the NT to fish out from King Ash Bay on the McArthur River!

Unreliable

Torch started flickering during first use. Needed to whack it to keep it going in an actual real emergency. Took it apart and checked everything - could not see a problem. Battery was new Eveready. It died completely within a year.
These torches are a safety hazard as they cannot be relied upon, as well as sometimes being impossible to open.
Only bought it because I couldn't get a bulb for my 25 year old model!

Can't open cover

As I write this review I'm still trying to open the black cover surrounding the lens, its the new square shaped led type, we have exerted much effort and used slip jaw pliers. The website says hold between knees and twist anticlockwise but cannot hold it tight enough the torch casing is a bit slippery and the whole thing moves (might have to wack it in the vice). As for performance can't say till we actually get a battery in this thing, as a comparison my much older version is simple and easy to use with a long reach beam on it but its hard to find right size bulbs now.

Wish I'd read other reviews before I purchased.

Small print says "You may need to exert some strength to open" Um yeah...Impossible to open. Now I have a useless torch and an opened battery which I cannot return.

Collie

CollieWinmalee

Stupid product

I can’t believe that a torch can be so difficult to use. I had to drive miles to buy the thing and when I got it home I couldn’t get the cover off to insert the battery. I tried for over an hour and exhausted myself in the process. This product should be recalled. It is only suitable for people with a lot of strength and a massive hand grip. 1 star is too generous for this rubbish.