Eveready Dolphin Torch

2.2

HAS

HASPerth, WA

Ridiculous!

Just bought this at Coles ready for a big storm expected today. Absolutely impossible to open. I don't think you should be selling these, they are not fit for purpose!.

Purchased in May 2020 at Coles for A$20.00.

henry

henryPerth, WA

difficult to open

had the same problem used a draw and held it tight with my knee against the drawer worked a charm tried other options as well did't work a vice would work just as well I would think

Purchased in May 2020 at Coles for A$20.00.

Uee T.

Uee T.South East Queensland, QLD

Getting it open was a mission

Wow if only I knew how hard it was to get open to put new batteries in I would not have purchased. Thanks to all the comments here got it open. Lights up room really bright. Once battery in its a good torch

Purchased in May 2020 at Big W Retail Stores for A$18.00.

Jim

JimPerth, WA

never had any troubles

I have a dolphin torch that I have had for over 25 years.still works with the people that have had trouble getting the cover off to get at the battery compartment when you get it off.before you put the cover
back on perhaps try rubbing some grease or similar around the thread.that should make it easier next time you have to take it off.i suppose it has to be fairly tight to keep the water out if you drop it.also does anybody out there remember the old dolphin torch tv ad's.with the actual dolphin in a pool playing with a dolphin torch????

Purchased in March 1995 at Kmart.

Hard to open to fit battery

Hubby finally opened. Used an oil filter removal tool. Nothing else worked. Replaced battery and applied vaseline to the seal for next time. Should have done this when brand new.

Purchased in May 2018.

Malcolm

MalcolmIllawarra, NSW

Very hard to open and ridiculous design for changing a battery

Was bought up on the sea as a kid and Dolphins were a part of our fishing life. Ordered a new one and it took me 15 minutes, hot water and a vice to open the thing. You cant do that at sea. Good product, once you can get it insert the battery

Purchased in May 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$24.00.

Bob

BobSouth East Queensland, QLD

GOT IT OPEN! Thanks to Grasshopper's tip.

I bought this about 2 months ago - my 5th Dolphin. All the others had been great. With this one I got sore wrists, sore thighs, and had reluctantly decided to Google one last time before I threw it in the bin. Thanks to Grasshopper, ran hot water around the seal and got it to move just a tad and then got it unscrewed. I'll be telling Woolies to tell Dolphin to get this sorted. It should come with a sticker! I might have given it 5 stars lol.

Purchased at Woolworths, Mermaid Waters, Qld.

John

JohnSydney, NSW

Hard to open, but there is a trick

As, many others I was struggling to open it, but there is a trick: put it between your legs and twist the top with both hands. It is still hard, but worked for me. Other than that, no comments.

Can't open the damned thing

I am 60 year old lady in New Zealand with not a lot of upper body strength. I am alone in my Isolation bubble so I have this expensive torch I am so very tempted to see how far I can throw across my paddock after struggling with it for over an hour (I know it would go further if I could add the weight of the battery but alas I can't put it in!). Hopefully after I throw it I will find it so on Tuesday when I see my 30 year old son-in-law he can give it a go. Unbelievable

Purchased in March 2020 at Tha Warehouse for A$30.00.

Grasshopper

GrasshopperLeongatha

Bad buy for anyone with arthritic fingers

Thanks to other reviewers for the tips on running hot water around the seal - which did work. Otherwise, this was the worst choice for a torch that is near impossible to open. Unfortunately often the only choice in a store, and unlikely that anyone will read reviews before grabbing a new torch at the supermarket. So probably best to speak with the managers of the store.

Purchased in April 2020 at IGA for A$23.00.

TORCH IMPOSSIBLE TO OPEN

The torch is nye on impossible to open to add battery. If older women on they’re own bought this they would have “NO” chance of using it. Should be taken if the shelves until a new design is completed and it isn’t cheap

Purchased at Big W for A$18.00.

worst ever made by dofin

Black face cover is nearly impossible to unscrew. My wife had no chance, I ended up using some hot water and only then could I get led off. I normally get job to take lids off at home but this was nearly impossible

Purchased in March 2020 for A$18.00.

John

JohnSydney Surrounds, NSW

Very poor design

Impossible to open - despite running hot water on the mechanism. It is very poor design. For something that is a safety item to be so difficult to use is unnecessary.

Battery opening & flickering fix

Writing from NZ. When trying to open the torch the seals cause it to stick. Place base in a vice or somewhere where it cannot move like in a drawer opening (held in position) while you apply opening pressure with both hands on the opening black front. It could still require some effort until released. For flickering have noticed battery does not completely sit flat at bottom of torch. There are 2 sprung connections which sometimes do not quite touch to complete the circuit. You can pull these out a bit say 2-4mm with a screwdriver and battery is no longer loose when torch shaken. Flickering stops. Agree Dolphin could easily fix this & are slack in not doing so.

Purchased in February 2019 at The Warehouse for A$28.00.

Troy Norris

Troy NorrisIllawarra, NSW

Dolphin Eveready torch

dolphin Eveready torch it’s very hard to open the torch to change the battery so to make it easier just run hot water around the front seal for 30 seconds this will make it easier to open trust me guarantees make sure You apply hot water thoroughly Around front seal where it screws onto the torch

Purchased in February 2020.

Virginia

VirginiaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Cant open Dolphin torch to put battery in

I bought the $25 version thinking it would work longer than the $9 version but even my big, very strong husband couldn't open our new $25 Dolphin torch to put the battery in! I am taking it back to Bunnings.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$25.00.

Drama Queen

Drama QueenNortheast, VIC

Need to be Popeye

Bought two new batteries for torch marked them 22/6/19 havent been used stored away and guess what wont work one for old torch and bought a new torch was disappointed

Purchased in June 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Sydney shopper

Sydney shopperSydney, NSW

Difficult to open

Having the same problem as everyone else - can't open it to put the battery in. Will have to ask a strong man to do this which is a shame as I bought the item at coles thinking it would be easy to use.

Purchased in October 2019.

Dave

DaveGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Way better battery life than the old incandescent bulbs.

As most viewers have stated, the front lense is ridiculously difficult to remove in order to perform the very first function to allow the unit to work. (Have one person to hold down and a second to twist. ) A vice would go well too. Lets hope it keeps the moisture out.
The 6v batteries are arguably the worst value for $ battery going. The LED bulb was well overdue. On a more positive note, the size is handy. They are still about the best boating torch going. Floats well, water and rain proof, easy to find on the boat, in car or in camp.

Purchased in October 2019 at IGA.

John P.

John P.South-Eastern Region, NSW

Poor light

Gives a very poor light despite it's imposing size. Sure there are much better options for the price. It is also takes super human strength to open the case for battery installation. Best left alone and am considering return to Bunnings for refund.

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$24.98.