Garmin Montana 650t

Garmin Montana 650t

See the Best Handheld GPS Units in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Glad I bought this

Needed a GPS for a 8 day Adventure bike trip that was reliable, easy to install and easy to use. Very happy to have chosen this machine. I didn’t see the point in the 680 as it only offers a camera compared to the 610. Recommend hardwiring into car/ bike etc. The touch screen work with standard bike gloves. Good supporting software. I made a decision to get one from the US (Amazon ) and while it was hundreds cheaper it came with US Topo maps and Global maps which had little detail for Australia. Need to buy $200 worth of AU/NZ Topomaps. Goes well with a RAM mount onto handlebars.

Not a Great Hiking GPS

I upgraded from an Eurex 30 for the bigger display, one of the problems of ordering without holding one in my hand. The screen size is nice, but the unit overall is significantly larger and heavier than an Etrex 30! The touch screen is sensitive and prone to turning on in the carry case. Locking the screen ensures that the display stays on all the time. Both problems drain the battery. On turning off the screen goes blank, without the power down symbol - so it is possible to think you have turned the unit off when it has just powered down ahead of your power down push - again a flat battery is the result. The Eurex 30 is back in favour!

Love my Montana 650T. Great map & track detail (Tasmania) So easy to use & fast

Had Montana 650T for 2 years now, no issues, is speedy to use & screen refresh fast. Touch screen a delight to use as is attaching to it's windscreen mount. I installed Oztopo v5.0 with switchable 10 metre contours for added track detail & am totally wrapped. Being able to easily switch between original map with shaded relief & Oztopo map is great. Satellite acquisition is fast & strong. Having rechargeable battery installed & being able to fit AA batteries if rechargeable battery goes flat while trekking is fantastic. Only gripes are camera is average & street voice guidance can be misleading in some areas, although I rarely use this feature. Otherwise all other functions are great. Previous GPS's have been Garmin products then Magellan XL (fantastic remote track detail but very slow) & now my Garmin Montana which is like a breath of fresh air.

Stops working after 2 to 3 weeks

The touch screen stops working after 2 to 3 weeks of use. Becomes a paper weight.
Google search the problem, there are plenty of forums regarding this matter.
Garmin seem to exchange the unit for a re furbished one, not a brand new replacement.
Im yet to contact Garmin... doing it today. I did Email them about a week ago but they have not replied.
Also according to all people on the forums with this issue, they say Garmin refuse to recognise there is a problem. After you do a little research you will see they should be doing a recall.
However... the device was amazing up until the touch screen stopped working.
I understand also that most 605t with this problem have a honeycomb look to the screen when turned off. Apparently screens with out this seem to be working fine?... so far.
Im devastated as this happened 2 weeks into a 6 week trip. i had also bought the europe maps for a rip off price of $135 aus... this has been a complete waist of time.
I advise you all look for a different brand from Garmin... they don't respond to Emails and now I'm waiting for 8.30am to arrive to see what the phone call does for me...
Great at first.
Dosent work after 2-3 weeks use and Garmin won't admit the problem.