Garmin nüvi Essential Series

Garmin nüvi Essential Series

50, 40, 65LMT, etc...

BillGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great unit but it rejects cables

I've had the Nuvi 55 for ages and it's really good. The problem is that last time I wanted to update the maps two things happened - first, the Garmin Express app told me I had an update - no problem, I updated Garmin Express without a problem. But when I connected the GPS to the computer to update it, it said I was using the wrong cable and to use the one that came with the unit. Like most houses, I have many USB cables, all exactly the same. I ran around and tried a half dozen, all with no result. Eventually one worked - one marked Logitech!

What happens if I can't find a cable it thinks is right?

Purchased in January 2015.

The Bax

The Bax

Works OK for me

Travelling around Australia I found the maps generally accurate. Display is easy to read under all light conditions and windscreen mount is effective. Free lifetime updates via Garmin Express works fine on my windows laptop. Doesn't offer a choice of routes - only most direct or fastest, which I find a drawback. Otherwise nothing to complain about.

Stuart

StuartSydney, NSW

Very impressed

Bought this model as it had lifetime maps included, which my previous unit did not have. Too expensive to update the older model ($100). It starts immediately and I like the traffic conditions update. Warns you of likely mobile speed camera locations as well. No bluetooth in this model, but never used this option in my previous unit. Much, much lighter in weight, no battery backup. Easy and quick to update and I have been notified when this is available. Only had Garmin units and have been pleased with this GPS. Accurate, with photo display at larger junctions.

GPS Navigation Systems

Find out how Garmin nüvi Essential Series compares to other GPS Navigation Systems

Trouble updating maps

I tried to update the maps. I've owned this Garmin less than two years. I can no longer update the maps. I tried. Now I see this model is discontinued. Before I tried updating, at least I had maps. I am so incredibly disappointed. I won't buy another Garmin. Update: A friend researched the problem on the Internet, discovered another person with the same problem who found a way to manipulate the unit settings, and got the maps updated. I'm now using the Garmin again. The maps seem fine. Before trying to update maps again I'll likely buy a different brand of product.

MichelleS

MichelleSClayton Bay

Beware: Garmin Mapping problem on Nuvi devices..maybe on all?

Hopalong

HopalongSydney NSW

Large and clear display but maps and speed data hopelessly out of date.

I had a Tom Tom for many years. The display eventually faded and the maps got out of date so I bought the Garmin for the cost of the updates required for the Tom Tom. The free updates and extra details the Garmin provided was a clincher. However, the maps are years out of date and speed limits are not accurate even after updating. Garmin has not heard of school holidays. Unit constantly makes "bong bong" noises even when I am under speed limit. I can turn it off but then I can't hear the warning noise when approaching a speed camera which is an important reason for purchase. Can not be relied upon so is unusable.

Lou

LouThornlands

Nice gps but beware f free maps.

I bought it on 29 th July 2012 from JB Hifi to use in NZ . Worked well again in August 2013 when I got my son to register it for free maps and update them prior to going. Worked well. In December 2014 he update it again for free and used it in NZ again. When he tried to update the maps last week Garmin would not update the maps only the software. I called them and was told I wasn't entitled to free maps . They said I had paid previously to update which isn't true and have to pay for an update. So much for free maps for life.

bazkennelly

bazkennelly

Good unit, easy to update maps

Unit is maybe too large for a car windscreen, perfect size for van or light truck, I adapted my bracket for the dash above the radio in my car. It does the job really well and is quick to recalibrate. The voice instructions are excellent... " Turn left after 7/11 " for example. Map updates using Garmin Express is super easy. Red light and speed camera warnings are now updated easily through Garmin Express. If I had a complaint it would be that speed and red light camera audible warning should have its own volume adjustment ( not loud enough). This is my fourth GPS including TomTom but This 67LMT is by far the best.

Ugmuck

UgmuckVaries

Absolutely terrible re updating maps through their "Garmin Express"

Extremely difficult to get their garmin express app for mac to work. Their suggestion on changing data cable is worthless. AND, if I leave it running "in the background," (as they suggest),it prevents the mac from sleeping when on power adapter mode!

A totally junky app. Will not buy garmin again. If you cannot update the maps, what use is it? AND, it can mess up your computer.

pipingmad

pipingmadAU

Device is good, maps are hopeless

I find the 67LMT quite fast and easy to use. But, the maps are hopeless. It displays and tries to get me to take roads that are not there, it tried to send me down a no entry road and also does not recognise a road I take that has been made for over 2 years.
I have logged various 'map error' reports on the Garmin website, but do not hear anything back.
I have Heremaps on my phone, but wanted a designated unit so I could still take calls. Think I will take it back and stick to the phone.

AGT

AGTBrisbane

Didn't last as long as expected

Bought in Sept 12, but only used from Oct 15 onward. Stopped working recently so got it checked by specialist retailer who confirmed it was a write-off. Garmin offered reconditioned replacement for $84.60 delivered, but mine returned to them at my cost ($10). Bought Navman for $119. Unable to update.

olly

ollygunnedah nsw

crap compared to navman

have had 4 navmans over the years,decided to give garmin ago,purchased a 65lm,found out,speed,red light cameras and school zones are extra to downloads to buy,comes standard in the mapping system with navman.updated to lmt version,not much better,may be good for the states no good for Australia.going back to navman a far better product.but found all gps systems are far behind "where is "mapping as far as up to date and accurate mappind and warnings,was told it is updated every 5 minutes,may buy a smart phone instead

Sedi

Sedi

The Worst and Slowest GPS

This GPS is the worst i used in my life.
I had the Garmin 2597 which was Freezing so took it to the JB HI FI where i bought it they replaced it for the Garmin Nuvi 67lmt which was 37$ Extra. I regret i have spend the money on this products.
Very Slow
Touch Screen Very Hard to

Paul4534

Paul4534Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Best GPS I have ever had ,easy set up and free up dates

Warnings are fantastic ,speed is spot on plenty of notice before you have to turn etc.
Very happy with my Garmin,highly recommend.Very easy set up great clear voices. notifies when up dates are available speed camera warning school warning police camera in area warning and changes color if you over speed .10/10

Garmin

We purchased a Garmin GPS the usb inside socket had a manufacturing fault sent it away to be fixed cannot repair refused to refund,repair,or replace , had lifetime maps cannot upload at all. They wanted us to pay for a refurbished unit will never buy a Garmin product again terrible company to deal with never again. However The Good Guys were terrific and offered a credit towards a new GPS Garmin would not credit any money at all.
guess what won't be buying a new Garmin.!!!

Not happy Jan

Garmin is not listening to their customers at all after reading these reviews !!!

rusty007

rusty007Sydney, NSW

Great unit - reliable

In comparison to some of the poor reviews here, mine has been fine. I've had it for 3-4 years and its been nothing but reliable. The maps are accurate and the voice and prompts are fine. It sometimes calls turnoffs too late but I'm sure the others do as well. With any satnav, still watch the road and read the signs. Nothing is perfect.

I now use the Garmin in conjunction with Google maps on my smartphone, as Google maps shows live traffic and alternate routes. And Google maps HAS tried to send me the wrong way up a one-way major thoroughfare.

WMbundaberg

Great unit outdated maps

I recently purchased a Garmin 65 LMT after already owing a few different brand GPS's.While the unit operates correctly and is easy to use,it is badly let down by the maps.The latest maps have streets missing that are 15 years old and the POIs list businesses that have been closed for over 20 years.
The map problem seems to be with all brands as they seem to use the same map supplier.Getting an answer from the maker is near impossible but I have sent an email just in case.

WM

I sent Garmin an email and they quickly responded and gave me a link to the mapping company to resolve the issue.Have since found out that the GPS is faulty and very happy with the new one.

First GPS and I'm impressed

Got this little tech at DSE in David Jones Melbourne CBD with a price match at $138. Obviously no other store has it and stocks are running low (due to discontinued model?). I am impressed with the responsiveness of this little machine and how accurate it calculates the routes (only few tho since I just bought and tested for 2 days). I do NOT complain about the non-retina grade screen or 'poor' design of the interface compared to Tomtom. Garmin got this thing going firmly well by keeping the essential part-route guiding, smooth. I have not got into downloading any new map but will try on that. Very satisfied for now!

Tommy Y

Tommy YSydney

Perfect GPS

Bought this Garmin (first time) from JB HIfi for a discount. Despite great discount, relatively infamous brand in Australia, the GPS is actually response fast and accurate on road! The update is easy like 123 and fast as well, compare to my previous NAVMAN 400lmt which sucks at update or 0 updates after purchased for 6 months. Will choose Garmin again.

Horrendous.

Every time it comes to a junction on the motorway it takes you off, round the roundabout and back on. It is incredibly dangerous and I ended up turning the thing off and resorting to maps. I suppose the voice is excellent, if inaccurate, the only way to use this on a motorway is to check the route by maps first and know which junctions you wish to exit.
very little