Garmin Oregon 650

Garmin Oregon 650

See the Best Handheld GPS Units in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Do not touch a garmin handheld gps

I have owned a garmin for some years and these are terrible instruments. The computer interface is clunky and dowright hard to use. The more recent basecamp software is good but the interface to the unit will do your head in. The web is full of folks asking how you download a gpx file to a garmin, and from personal experience it is impossible (or rather the file will transfer but that is the limit of functionality it will not load and it will not upload to the units map).

If you have the misfortune to insert a waypoint on your travels you will regret it. The unit will always try to bring you back there or start at that point and build a route from there to where you are. There seems no method to change this without deleting waypoints as you go.

If all you wish to do is have it track where you walked they function well. If you actually intend to develop and plan a route you would be better off buying another brand for a garmin is the wrong tool for you.

A paper map, magnetised needle and pencil is an improvement on garmin technology.

I am continuously surprised by how awesome this is!

I've been using a garmin for a few years and I love the reliability and accuracy. When my old unit was stolen I had the chance to get something better. This unit amazes me with all of the extra features that I hadn't know that I was missing on my old unit. It's great for geocaching and hiking and reviewing the tracks I've done. The camera is a bit slow and it would be nice if the screen was a little more protected but I really can't complain about such a fantastic unit.

Hi Thanks for the review as i am wanting to purchase the Oregon 600 and wondering if you can tell me if you've had any issues with freezing, malfunctioning, inaccuracy with your Oregon ? as many reviews on the 6## series that i have read have had these problems.
I personally have not had this issue. I don’t get to use it too much any more, but whenever I do, it’s always been a great experience.Thanks for your response.. Cheers, Al

Oregon 650